Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

IFC No Longer Commercial Free

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-11, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: IFC No Longer Commercial Free

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
As I've said a billion times, if you haven't given up on cable by now, you deserve whatever you get. (In the olden days, cable was supposed to give you what YOU wanted, not what the corporations wanted!)
+1 Even with only 6 dtv channels (and an ota pvr sucking all I'd want to watch on them) it's about the same as cable - just less of it.

Cable is a sham compared to what it was in the 90s. If you wwant niche disc is the way to go.
Old 01-02-11, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i like that people all bash cable, but yet amc still isn't in hd on direct tv, Dish seemingly loses channels every month due to negotiations.
Old 01-02-11, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
i like that people all bash cable, but yet amc still isn't in hd on direct tv, Dish seemingly loses channels every month due to negotiations.
Cable/dish...I think, n this context, we using the term in an umbrella sense.

Btw...forgot to mention - This sucks. Can someone out there find out who made the decision to do this and kick them in the balls for me?

k?

Thanks
Old 04-17-11, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Draven
Translation: IFC decided to start making money instead of losing it.
So much for customer concern or content variation, if that's their plan evidently all channels will be identical mirrors of each other.
Old 04-17-11, 12:24 AM

Why did they buy those TV shows? Because they attract more viewers.

I'm sure they weren't making squat off those independent films.
Maybe when they decided to start showing commercials they should have also decided to change their name. Instead of being the independent Film Channel maybe now they should be Cult TV Central.
Old 04-17-11, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Geofferson
It could also be to fund more original programming (i.e., Todd Margaret). Maybe they are planning to follow the model of AMC/FX?
Sadly that probably has a lot to do with it. MTV used to be truly a music television channel at one time, especially when they first started, now they're more like another reality show channel. Of course with the majority of what's popular in music now that might not be a bad thing.
Old 04-17-11, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Cable television is not a business in which it's economical to be niche.
Why is that, people pay for it?
Old 04-17-11, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by kilcher
Not to mention 350 of those "channels" are music.
Another 100 are 24 hour informercials.
Old 04-17-11, 12:41 AM

Really? Like it was some visionary product intended solely for the good of humanity? Cable is a business. It's always been a business, and it will always be a business. In fact, the whole reason it started was to get customers who couldn't get antenna reception (in valleys and around mountains) TV service...to make money.

I dumped cable/satellite about 2 years ago and haven't looked back, but that was simply because I didn't watch enough cable vs. OTA to make it worthwhile. The idea that corporations have somehow sullied the pure legacy of cable is absolutely ridiculous.
Actually if you remember when cable came out the way they got people to actually pay for TV was the promise of being commercial free. At the time why would anyone pay for television if you had to put up with the same commercial crap you could get for free over the air ways. Then they reached that plateau when they felt they had the public where they wanted them, hooked on cable, and evidently they did, so out came the commercials.

Before cable came out people in the valleys and mountains had satellite TV, big old 10' and 12' dishes.

The big corporate world is screwing everything up, and freely getting away with it. They make out at the publics expense.
Old 04-17-11, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisHicks
But for how much longer? I've only ever watched movies on IFC so losing uncut movies(if it were to happen) plus adding in commercials would for lack of a better would suck.
Really, once soccer mom A, and hockey mom B, starts seeing movies they don't like or care for being shown on a channel that is funded by a product they use, look out. Complaints to the advertisers will lead to the advertisers asking them to tone it down, and instead of losing money as opposed to pleasing viewers, good by uncut programming.