Old 12-07-10, 05:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Glee -- "A Very Glee Christmas" -- 12/07/10

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2010-12-07

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Finn tries to bring holiday cheer to McKinley High, and Artie discovers that Brittany still believes in Santa. Meanwhile, the teachers pick their Secret Santas and one particularly manipulative McKinley staffer rigs the gift-giving.

Episode 10 of 22

Last episode of the year. The show returns Sunday February 6th after the Super Bowl.

Okay, I'm waiting to hear someone bitch about Glee's 2 month hiatus.

Sneak Peak with Interviews:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vnnGwOLYxQE?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vnnGwOLYxQE?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited by DJariya; 12-07-10 at 05:34 AM.
Old 12-07-10, 05:44 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Glee -- "A Very Glee Christmas" -- 12/07/10

Looking forward to this. Loved the Christmas album.
Old 12-07-10, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife was sooooo excited to see "Baby, It's Cold Outside" on the Christmas album...
Spoiler:
but was taken aback when she heard the duet between Kurt and Blaine.
Old 12-07-10, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm fine with a two-month hiatus. Hopefully they take that time to improve their writing and focus more on making this about the Glee Club and its many members, rather than devoting every episode to Kurt.

Originally Posted by Goldberg74 View Post
My wife was sooooo excited to see "Baby, It's Cold Outside" on the Christmas album...
Spoiler:
but was taken aback when she heard the duet between Kurt and Blaine.
Are you married to Heat's wife? lol

Nah, I understand the surprise, given the long-standing tradition of how the song is sung. But after listening to it, I'm okay with their take on it. It's actually quite enjoyable, but definitely nowhere near as good as other covers of it. I'd have much preferred a cover by Dianna Agron and Mark Salling; I think it would have worked well with their characters and I think their voices would suit their respective parts
Old 12-07-10, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kstublen View Post
Are you married to Heat's wife? lol

Nah, I understand the surprise, given the long-standing tradition of how the song is sung. But after listening to it, I'm okay with their take on it. It's actually quite enjoyable, but definitely nowhere near as good as other covers of it. I'd have much preferred a cover by Dianna Agron and Mark Salling; I think it would have worked well with their characters and I think their voices would suit their respective parts

I was thinking that they should have sung the George Michael tune "Last Christmas"... but that was sung by Rachel & Finn last year.
Old 12-07-10, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm fine with a two-month hiatus. Hopefully they take that time to improve their writing and focus more on making this about the Glee Club and its many members, rather than devoting every episode to Kurt.
Kurt's ordeal is a main "story" this year. Last year we had the Glee club's growth, Rachel's mom, Will and Emma, Terri's and Quinn's pregnancies, Finn and Rachel, etc. This year we have a different set of stories. Next year I'm sure there will be another set of stories. It's not like last year had a ton of plots about the other characters compared to this year. I'd argue it's about the same. And there has been plenty of other stories this year too.

It's fine if you don't like Kurt's story. But like it or not, that's a big part of this season, and I doubt it's going away.

I'm sorry to see the show go away for awhile, as it's easily the highlight of my week as far as TV goes. As long as they come back with the same level of quality, I'll be happy.
Old 12-07-10, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Kurt's ordeal is a main "story" this year. Last year we had the Glee club's growth, Rachel's mom, Will and Emma, Terri's and Quinn's pregnancies, Finn and Rachel, etc. This year we have a different set of stories. Next year I'm sure there will be another set of stories. It's not like last year had a ton of plots about the other characters compared to this year. I'd argue it's about the same. And there has been plenty of other stories this year too.
They've gone from making it one of the main stories to the only story. Aside from Kurt's storyline, not much else has really happened this season. Sure, they've thrown in a few new relationships and some infighting within the group, but it all seems like an afterthought, thrown in to just to fill out some time after Kurt's weekly story is done.

And when they're not focusing on Kurt, we get tribute episodes and stunt-casting.

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
I'm sorry to see the show go away for awhile, as it's easily the highlight of my week as far as TV goes. As long as they come back with the same level of quality, I'll be happy.
Despite all of my complaints about the show, I do still look forward to it. It just disappoints me because I think the quality has taken a real nose dive, as far as storytelling is concerned. I thought the first 13 episodes were better than the back 9, and the back 9 have been better than these 9 season two episodes.

For the most part though, the songs still sound good
Old 12-07-10, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They've gone from making it one of the main stories to the only story. Aside from Kurt's storyline, not much else has really happened this season. Sure, they've thrown in a few new relationships and some infighting within the group, but it all seems like an afterthought, thrown in to just to fill out some time after Kurt's weekly story is done.
I disagree. I feel like there has been plenty of attention on other plots, including Emma/Will/Terri, Artie (football and Brittany), Sam and Quinn, Finn and Rachel, and Coach Bieste.

Sure, a few episodes have been about Kurt, but last year a few episodes were about Terri's pregnancy, Rachel and her mom, and so forth. There have been several episodes this season that really had nothing to do with Kurt, and a few where he was the main focus.

I feel that's consistent with the show. I think it just seems like more because not everyone here is a fan of his storyline.
Old 12-07-10, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Has there been any word on the theme for the after Superbowl show?

Spoiler:
I know there was talk of Bruce Springsteen or Michael Jackson theme.

Please spoiler it if the word has been put out there and I missed it...
Old 12-07-10, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
Has there been any word on the theme for the after Superbowl show?

Spoiler:
I know there was talk of Bruce Springsteen or Michael Jackson theme.

Please spoiler it if the word has been put out there and I missed it...
only thing i know
Spoiler:
theyre doing thriller by MJ, a song by Katy Perry, and it was just announced today that Kurt and his bf are doing Bills bills bills by Destinys child. Its also reportidly going to be the most expensive/elaborate episode as well
Old 12-07-10, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, Draven, you'll be happy to know that this was my favourite episode of the season. Everything in it worked for me. I felt like there was an actual story to be told and that they did a great job telling it. I appreciated the sentimentality of the episode and there was a lot of great character moments and surprising depth. Was it a coincidence that I enjoyed this episode and it didn't feature the Kurt being bullied storyline? I think not...

Sue as the Grinch was great. You knew she would come around at the end, but it was well-done. She looked eerily like the cartoon character with the green paint on her face, lol. The bit about everyone getting her the shake-weight was funny.

I'm not a huge fan of Christmas songs, but they all sounded really good. Nice to see "Last Christmas" finally feature in an episode. I liked "Baby, It's Cold Outside" too, despite the unconventional cover. It's not that I had a problem with two guys singing it, but Blaine has a higher voice than I'm used to for the male portion of the song. Still, they both sounded great. The rest of the songs were sort of generic and didn't really jump out at me, but they all sounded nice. I'll have to give the Christmas Album a spin now.

I sort of feel like they should have told Brittany the truth, but I think it made for a happier episode to have her believing. Heather Morris deserves a lot of credit for this episode. She perfectly captured the innocence of a child and I really like her even more as a character now than I did before (not that I disliked her before).

Bieste and Brittany had the best moment though. It was at once heartbreaking and hopeful. I felt even more for Bieste and what she has been through and it made me feel even worse knowing that Sue and Will gave her such hard time at the start of the season. Still, it was nice to see that she appreciates and embraces who she is, and her doing what she could to help Artie and Brittany was wonderful.

Brittany: "I didn't know what it was...I thought it was a Transformer."

Is anyone else starting to get bothered by how Sue has basically made Becky into her slave though? I feel like they need to dial that down a bit.

Last edited by kstublen; 12-07-10 at 09:11 PM.
Old 12-07-10, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is anyone else starting to get bothered by how Sue has basically made Becky into her slave?
Because she has Down's syndrome? Sue treats everyone like slaves doing her bidding. Like she mentioned in an episode, she doesn't treat them like they are special or any different from "normal" people.
Old 12-07-10, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

this was my favourite episode of the season
Same for me. In a season that has had more downs than ups, this episode was just a huge highlight for me. Even though I'm not the biggest fan of Christmas music, the songs were all well done and actually got me into the spirit of the holiday. And the fact that Brittany still believes in Santa was absolutely adorable and made me love her that much more.
Old 12-07-10, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally, I finish watching a Glee ep with a smile. So happy to have that feeling back. It's why I watched in the first place.
Old 12-07-10, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"I want Channing Tatum to stop being in stuff." - Mike Chang

"I'm not sure of the difference between an elf and a slave." "Remember you have rights." - Brittany
Old 12-07-10, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree, it was a very good ep. The Grinch sequence was great and the scene at Brit's house was Bieste's best scene to date and the first time they've addressed her self-image issues without being too heavy handed.

All the songs were good too. I love "Baby, It's Cold Outside" and while Kurt and Blaine's version was an OK performance musically, I didn't like the "just rehearsing it for a job" setup and campy tone of the performance.
Old 12-07-10, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Loved this episode. I have been bugged by Kurt this year and it was good that we got a small break from in this episode other the Baby's, It's Cold Outside and performance and the short scene with Will.

I loved the whole thing Brittany still believing Santa Clause and Beiste's "Santa" speech was very touching and sad.

The thing with Becky Sue's slave is start to bothering me a bit. I like that Sue doesn't treat her different than the other kids but having Becky vandalize and steal things is a bit too much.
Old 12-07-10, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I loved it. Definitely the high point of a great season. So many nice moments from everyone, some good comments about the hyper-reality of the show (The AV club spent so much time on the snow...), and ultimately everyone comes together in the end.

Glad to see people here like it too. Though I did have many moments while watching where I thought of all the complaints there were sure to be: Why would Bieste spend thousands of dollars on Artie? Why would a teacher allow the 15 minutes it would take for an orchestra and choir to set up in their classroom, and then throw a shoe...that teacher should be fired! Why would Will go to Kurt for advice...besides "lazy writing" to get the two of them together in a scene? We get it...Brittany is stupid...but she really can't recognize Coach Bieste when she's looking her in the face? How could a public school blatantly celebrate Christmas in this day and age? And blah blah blah...

Point being, this is par for the course for Glee, but none of these kinds of things bother me on a weekly basis. But they are the same problems that crop up in every episode. Not sure why this one gets a pass.
Old 12-08-10, 02:11 AM
Banned

Did anyone else find it hilarious how in the recap when they were showing why Finn broke up with Rachel last week the scene of him screaming "I'm DONE with you" and pointing was actually from LAST SEASON when he broke up with Quinn? You could even see Quinn's blonde hair!
Old 12-08-10, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo View Post
Did anyone else find it hilarious how in the recap when they were showing why Finn broke up with Rachel last week the scene of him screaming "I'm DONE with you" and pointing was actually from LAST SEASON when he broke up with Quinn? You could even see Quinn's blonde hair!
Yeah. We noticed that too.
Old 12-08-10, 08:50 AM

They did pretty good at avoiding DVDTalk's list of banned Christmas songs.

There sure is a lot of breaking and entering going on in Lima, Ohio.
Old 12-08-10, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah I really enjoyed this episode as well... And loved the Tatum line.
Old 12-08-10, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So Sue wouldn't get fired for destroying a tree and stealing gifts?

This show is getting more and more 'over the top'.

Did like Sue calling Pilsbury 'Elmo'.
Old 12-08-10, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post

Ah...there we go.
Old 12-08-10, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post

Welcome to the world of Ryan Murphy, who doesn't know the meaning of the word "restraint". Just look at how he f'ed up Nip/Tuck. How long until he does the same thing to Glee?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.