Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Dexter -- "In the Beginning" -- 11/28/10

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-10, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dexter -- "In the Beginning" -- 11/28/10

My thought is that Lumen will take the fall for Dexter, though I would love to see her on again next season as sort of a sidekick. But who knows! Last nights episode was intense!
Old 11-29-10, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looks as though I'm in the minority with Lumen's character. I find the entire romance thing with the two of them to be super lame. It may have something to do with the fact that I just plain don't like Julia Stiles anyway, so I find her line deliveries to be terrible. So much about the writing in Dexter comes off as lame/cheesy to me though, and has since the very beginning. But it is the only show on television that you have absolutely no idea where they're going and what they're going to do, so the overall plot and story path is unmatched IMO. Which is why I'll always be watching. I will however not be sad to see Lumen gone. (But I'm guessing she'll still be around after this season in some capacity.)

My wife totally called the kill room fake out. I wasn't even paying attention and was all "Well how the fuck is this gonna shake out!?" and she was all "Well, good thing there's an empty house next door."
Old 11-29-10, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good episode but I am scratching my head about why the first girl is seemingly helping Jordan. I'm sure it'll all make sense soon but I can't even hazard a guess at this point.
Old 11-29-10, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also was stuck by the idea of Lumen going to prison for Dexter while watching this episode.

I was surprised at how normal the love scene was with Lumen's recent trauma. It was pretty unrealistic to have them become physical so soon, especially with her reliving it by watching the tapes the same day. But, it's TV. When she kind of binded his hands behind his back with his shirt I thought they were going to go somewhere freaky for a sec.
Old 11-29-10, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant11
Good episode but I am scratching my head about why the first girl is seemingly helping Jordan. I'm sure it'll all make sense soon but I can't even hazard a guess at this point.
because he makes her feel important and loved.
Old 11-29-10, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
because he makes her feel important and loved.
It seemed like a type of Stockholm Syndrome to me.
Old 11-29-10, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Peter Weller is insanely good at playing a complete sleazeball. He's really been a highlight.
Old 11-29-10, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
Peter Weller is insanely good at playing a complete sleazeball. He's really been a highlight.
Yeah...he's perfect. Really happy with his character this season. I just read a quick interview with him in EW last week and he was talking about his PHD in Italian Renaissance art history and playing the jazz trumpet and that knowledge makes me enjoy his acting all the more.
Old 11-29-10, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I caught that in EW too. Very interesting stuff.
Old 11-29-10, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
Yeah, he's been fantastic with he small scenes that he has had, total scene-stealer. His exchange with Lumen when she backed into his car a few episodes ago was great.
Old 11-29-10, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

I'm enjoying the show and really like the Jordan Chase storyline this season.

Big thumbs down on the Dexter/Lumen romance. His wife died only a few months back and Lumen was massively abused a few weeks earlier - the hook-up feels un-natural, forced and kinda cheesey. I like that they have a bond, but don't like the romance.

Saw the house fakeout coming a mile away, and it was kind of cheap.
Old 11-29-10, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Can't wait for the next 2 episodes.......
Old 11-29-10, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
Big thumbs down on the Dexter/Lumen romance. His wife died only a few months back and Lumen was massively abused a few weeks earlier - the hook-up feels un-natural, forced and kinda cheesey. I like that they have a bond, but don't like the romance.
I don't have a problem with their relationship, it kind of feels organic to the state that both characters are currently in. In Dexter's defense, I never got the impression that he truly loved Rita anyways. Season 1 feels like a lifetime ago, but wasn't he with her at first because she was a damaged soul who wouldn't force intimacy upon him, but he felt that the relationship could provide some image of normalcy? He was never able to share who he really was with Rita, while Lumen already knows more about the real Dexter than Rita would have ever been able to handle.
Old 11-30-10, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

^ Exactly.

Previous relationships and experiences means little when you really connect with someone
Old 11-30-10, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not sure about Lumen taking the fall. It just seems that they're setting up Deb catching Lumen and then letting her go since the bad guys got what was coming to them.

I'm guessing Robocop and that new lady cop will end up dead this season. And maybe the Chief will fire Laguerta or something.
Old 11-30-10, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dalbowski
Not sure about Lumen taking the fall. It just seems that they're setting up Deb catching Lumen and then letting her go since the bad guys got what was coming to them.

I think there's another former victim who wears womens shoes that they will pin the murders on.

(I'm not being purposely vague, I can't think of the bitch's name).
Old 11-30-10, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

What about the shit Laguerta is pulling? She's becoming a bigger d-bag with every episode. I see her getting her head copped off soon.
Old 11-30-10, 08:09 AM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Really REALLY hope Lumen does not die.
Old 11-30-10, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Anyone think the nanny is up to no good? Maybe a cliff-hanger at the end of the season with Harrison ended up missing? Maybe she's in with Jordan - in regards to what he warned Dexter about in the lab about his family?
Old 11-30-10, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by mickey65
Anyone think the nanny is up to no good? Maybe a cliff-hanger at the end of the season with Harrison ended up missing? Maybe she's in with Jordan - in regards to what he warned Dexter about in the lab about his family?
But the nanny came into the picture before Jordan Chase. I'll be let down if there's something up with the nanny. Someone in Dexter's life needs to be normal.
Old 11-30-10, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Early in the season I remember reading somewhere online someone's speculation that the nanny would turn out to be Lila's mom. I don't really see the show going that route, but who knows?
Old 11-30-10, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

She doesn't really seem old enough to be Lila's mom. Plus, one was British and one is Irish (not that that couldn't be the case, but it seems more like people were making the connection because they both have accents).
Old 11-30-10, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by mickey65
Oh my god, yes! That would be awesome. Not having her be in cahoots with Jordan, but taking Harrison. I hope she takes the little lad back to Ireland and Dexter has to spend the entirety of next season trying to get his son back.
Old 11-30-10, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by johnglass
I think there's another former victim who wears womens shoes that they will pin the murders on.
That is what I was thinking when Deb stated her theory that a former victim is probably killing the dudes. I am thinking that Jordan and her will end up blamed for each other's deaths.
Old 11-30-10, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
She doesn't really seem old enough to be Lila's mom. Plus, one was British and one is Irish (not that that couldn't be the case, but it seems more like people were making the connection because they both have accents).
Oh, I agree. I was just throwing that out there. But if the writers are going for another Big Season Finale Cliffhanger, I think it'll involve the nanny taking Harrison. Dexter had his reservations about her before feeling safe with her looking after the kid (and so has the audience, I guess). That'd be easy way to do it, especially after sending the two off on a trip together early on and then dropping any mention of the characters from the rest of the episode.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.