Old 11-11-10, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Outsourced -- "Home for the Diwalidays" -- 11/11/10

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2010-11-05

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Unaware of Diwali, the biggest and holiest holiday in India, Todd (Ben Rappaport) is caught off guard when his staffers automatically expect time off. After speaking with his U.S. supervisor Jerry (Matt Walsh), Todd must tell his employees they cannot leave to celebrate, making him unpopular among the workers. Meanwhile, Tonya (Pippa Black) tries to help Todd forget about his feelings for Asha (Rebecca Hazlewood).

Episode 8 of 22
Old 11-12-10, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts
Re: Outsourced -- "Home for the Diwalidays" -- 11/11/10

I've realized something about this show: compared to other sitcoms, this show seems to have a huge number of extras especially in this episode. This gives it a much bigger scope than most sitcoms. The only other current sitcom I can think of which might have a lot of extras is Community and that's not even every episode. I wonder how much of their budget goes to paying extras.
Old 11-12-10, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's like the writers of this show want me to hate Todd more and more with each episode. He's just so worthless and totally unlikeable. And I can't stand Tonya either. Get rid of those two and make Charlie the boss and I think this show would be so much better. Or, even better, just make Rajiv the authoritarian boss and have the rest of the call center trying to get the better of him. That would be a much better show.

Speaking of Todd, it bothers me how after 8 episodes he still hasn't changed, even a little bit. It's not that he's is ignorant that bothers me, it's that he is downright disrespectful in his ignorance.

Madhuri is quickly becoming my favourite character. She's been consistently funny and charming in a bunch of the latest episodes and this episode she was on fire. Her driving the price up every time Rajiv said anything was killing me.

The Rajiv video was predictable, but I liked what they did with it, especially him showing up there and repeating what was said. Him suggesting they start calling the Sikh Tyler and then Gupta calling him Tyler and laughing like a little kid was a funny moment.

Gupta is also much funnier now than in the beginning. Manmeet needs to stop being Todd's sidekick and I think he'll be a better character. I like Asha if for no other reason than she keeps belittling Todd and making him feel bad. Charlie and his gun were pretty funny too.

So yeah, obviously this show has grown on me, despite the continued insufferable performance of Ben Rappaport as one of the most unlikeable television characters I've ever had the displeasure of watching.
Old 11-12-10, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This show has been growing on me more and more as well. Thought this was another solid episode with many funny bits.

at Matt Walsh's words of encouragement: "When you make a commitment you have to stick with it, even if you have a different opinion about how a massage should end."
Old 11-12-10, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I laughed more watching Outsourced than The Office this week. Outsource is also growing on me as well. Plus the Aussie chick is very easy on the eyes, and Asha has that smouldering quality about her.
Old 11-12-10, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I also agree with the sentiment that the show is finally finding its footing. Thank God I decided to stick it out after the horrible premiere.
Old 11-12-10, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tonymontana313
I also agree with the sentiment that the show is finally finding its footing. Thank God I decided to stick it out after the horrible premiere.
Yeah, it has been getting better. I do find the Indian characters much more appealing than the Western ones, who seem far too cliched to me. I think Rajiv and Gupta are pretty consistently funny, and Madhuri and Manmeet come off as quite likable.

The "romantic" element with Todd and the two girls (who are both quite tasty, but nevertheless) is actually really the most annoying and tired part of the show for me. I wish they would find a more original direction to go than something that's been done to death in nearly every sitcom since the mid-nineties.
Old 11-12-10, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Much better than last week. Funny episode.

I am so glad that Madhuri is getting more screen time. I loved her line about only paying 3.

Gupta continues to shine as does Rajiv. I agree that Manmeet needs his own storyline away from Todd.
Old 11-12-10, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Patman
Plus the Aussie chick is very easy on the eyes.
She looks like Nicole Kidman's younger sister.
Old 11-13-10, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by kstublen
Or, even better, just make Rajiv the authoritarian boss and have the rest of the call center trying to get the better of him. That would be a much better show.
Yes, I agree. Make Rajiv the manager and move Todd into a back room where he just manages the HR aspects of the call center. Then reveal that Manmeet has had an eternal crush on Asha since they first started working there. Also, make Gupta be extremely loyal to Rajiv and simultaneously be subject to pranks by Manmeet.

Later on, it would be cool if they gave the fleshed out the extra characters. Make the girl in the hijab be really uptight and prissy and annoyed by Asha's "slutty" ways, but then get involved with Gupta. Also, start giving the Sikh (guy in the turban) lines where he talks really slow, but is really a WSOP Champion. And make the other girl call center employee with long black hair who hasn't had any lines an alcoholic. And make another male call center employee be gay.
Old 11-13-10, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Barings
Yes, I agree. Make Rajiv the manager and move Todd into a back room where he just manages the HR aspects of the call center. Then reveal that Manmeet has had an eternal crush on Asha since they first started working there. Also, make Gupta be extremely loyal to Rajiv and simultaneously be subject to pranks by Manmeet.

Later on, it would be cool if they gave the fleshed out the extra characters. Make the girl in the hijab be really uptight and prissy and annoyed by Asha's "slutty" ways, but then get involved with Gupta. Also, start giving the Sikh (guy in the turban) lines where he talks really slow, but is really a WSOP Champion. And make the other girl call center employee with long black hair who hasn't had any lines an alcoholic. And make another male call center employee be gay.

Gupta and Rajiv could do a video called "Lazy Delhi"
Old 11-13-10, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Barings - it took me a few seconds before realizing why your suggestions sounded so familiar.
Old 11-16-10, 11:04 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by tonymontana313
I've caught a few episodes beyond that incredibly horrible premiere now, only because I record the whole block to be sure I don't miss any bits of the other shows.

I really like Matt Walsh, and do agree that the Indian characters are MUCH better than Todd/Chuck/Tonya. I'm tempted to stick with it, but with the lead being SO horrible it's difficult.