Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Walking Dead - "Guts" - 11/7/10

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-10, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead - "Guts" - 11/7/10

Yea, I saw some grain as well. It certainly didn't make me want to wait for the Blu-ray discs. Ah well, to each their own.
Old 11-10-10, 11:49 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Grain from the film stock isn't going to go away simply because you're watching it in 1080p.
Old 11-10-10, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Groucho
Grain from the film stock isn't going to go away simply because you're watching it in 1080p.
I think the irony is the fact that his user name is VHS. Now if you'll excuse me I have to exchange my blu-ray copy of Grindhouse to Walmart YET AGAIN because of the crappy picture.
Old 11-10-10, 02:13 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Why didn't they just walk under a building or something so the rain wouldn't get them? It stopped like 1 minute after the zombies smelled them.
Old 11-10-10, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Why didn't they just walk under a building or something so the rain wouldn't get them? It stopped like 1 minute after the zombies smelled them.
Because:
A) they didn't know how long the rain would last
B) they didn't know the rain would kill the smell enough to matter
C) they had to hurry because they people in the store could get swarmed if the last glass door broke
Old 11-10-10, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Until I read this thread, I also thought the blonde chick was the girl from Tremors.

As for this episode... other than a few terribly written lines, like "I'm just a man looking for his wife and son... anyone who gets in the way of that is gonna lose ", it was pretty enjoyable.
Old 11-10-10, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've been enjoying this show quite a bit. I hadn't noticed the picture quality issues other than the desaturated colors since I've been watching it on a smaller tv where I sit farther back. I took another look at it last night after reading this thread and yes, the image is very grainy, which is tortuous for the codec and did result in a lot of compression artifacts on the Comcast hd dvr recording I have. A bluray disc will help with the compression artifacts since it'll be encoded at a much higher bit rate, but it won't remove the grain.

The fact that they're shooting super 16 is almost certainly a stylistic choice. And there was quite a bit of grain even in the exterior shots so the DP was likely pushing the film for those shots. Or maybe there's some fancy digital post method to insert grain now.

Also, I feel compelled to mention that as an old, overweight guy, I could jump off that tank and hit the ground running. That Rick had to roll is an obvious sign of bad writing. And bad acting. And bad script supervision.
Old 11-10-10, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Under a building? Like in the sewer?
Old 11-10-10, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Under a building? Like in the sewer?
Think he means in an alcove or maybe an awning for one of the buildings if there was one.
Old 11-10-10, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm not spoiled in the least. I just watch many shows in HD and the PQ on those shows is beyond awesome.
The clarity is great and what one would expect from a new TV show shot in HD.
This show however, and others like American Pickers, are grainy as all hell and yes, it can be distracting.
A few shots look great though ... like when nobody is moving !

I wont stop watching it because of this. But it will bother me to know that during the break, a GEICO commercial will look 100% better
Old 11-10-10, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by belboz
Also, I feel compelled to mention that as an old, overweight guy, I could jump off that tank and hit the ground running. That Rick had to roll is an obvious sign of bad writing. And bad acting. And bad script supervision.
I'm quite certain that 90% of Americans would be near death after a 5 foot jump. I used to do a lot of hiking and I've seen a lot of people spill from muchmuchmuch less of a jump.

But that's a picky point as athletes have blown out joints stepping off of ladders and people have walked away from a 2 story high jump. Him jamming an ankle is well within plausible.
Old 11-10-10, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

About the PQ, yeah, if you have a DVR your PQ may suffer. If you have one of the Comcast DVRs... good luck!
Old 11-10-10, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So some of the PQ issue is the DVR ? I never heard of this.
I have the 8240 HDC from COX and I have read it has it's issues but never read anything that dealt with PQ
I'd like to know more about this ...
I guess thats why when I watch my local news it looks like crap but if I view the same channel on my 20" HDTV in my room just straight cable, it looks great !
Old 11-10-10, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Living Dead
Until I read this thread, I also thought the blonde chick was the girl from Tremors.

Glad I'm not alone.
Old 11-10-10, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, the software they use to save the video may not be the best. And almost any software/codec will have issues converting grainy video.
There are several factors to take in consideration here. But yeah, in this case, a cable box with not DVR may be the best option.
Old 11-10-10, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't have an HDTV so maybe it's cause I'm not spoiled, but I think the graininess adds to the series, kind of like a throwback/tribute to Romero's work.
Old 11-10-10, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have to be honest here. I don think they are purposely wanting this much grain in the series. It adds no visual perks if you will to the show.
It isn't trying to be 'grindhouse' or anything like that. This is compression artifacts we are seeing.

It is what it is I guess and just have to deal with it. I wish I was able to take a picture of it to send to AMC and ask them if they have anything to say about it.
Sometimes explaining things like this gets taken out of context or simply misinterpreted ...

Also. As far as I know from watching any Romero film, I have never seen this type of grain. Not even NOTLD which was on AMC looked like this.
Old 11-10-10, 09:42 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Axeramm
Think he means in an alcove or maybe an awning for one of the buildings if there was one.
That. Can't remember what they are called, but they go above a sidewalk and blocks the rain. I saw them in the background.
Old 11-10-10, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by VHS?
I have to be honest here. I don think they are purposely wanting this much grain in the series. It adds no visual perks if you will to the show.
It isn't trying to be 'grindhouse' or anything like that. This is compression artifacts we are seeing.

Maybe there are compression artifacts present, I don't know, but here the DP says:

“The cooler bias takes a little of the life out of the zombies’ faces,” says Boyd. “It’s not the peachy feel you get from a normal human being. In selected scenes when things are dire or require a fully graphic look, we’d push the stock a little bit to enhance the grain."
Old 11-10-10, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for pointing that out.

So far I have seen several boards talk about this issue. They love the show but are complaining about PQ. Perhaps shooting digital next season is a better way to go ?
Old 11-10-10, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 208 Posts

Digital is probably not what they're going for, since they did tests in 35, digital and 16, and settled on 16. Add to this the fact that a bunch of the staff (including Darabont, Gwyneth Horder-Payton, etc) worked on The Shield, which was also done in 16 mm, so they're familiar with what they can do with it.
Old 11-10-10, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wonder if I can find other shows shot with this format to see if it is as bad.
Thing I did mention was that I also watch America Pickers in History channel and I think it is 720p
Anyway it is also very grainy so maybe it is the POS box I have that is taking what isn't all that bad and making it REALLY bad.
Old 11-11-10, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just watched this yesterday....really...really love this show. Cannot wait for the upcoming episodes!!!
Old 11-11-10, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemmy
I wish some of you people would realize this is A)a television series, and it may not have the "perfect" script(s) you all seem to have hidden between your mattress & box spring, just waiting to be made into the zombie series we've all been waiting for....and B)that not everyone reacts the same way in stressful situations (like a zombie apocolypse would surely be), hence, the characters may or may not do what you would do.

Let go, relax, and just try and enjoy it for what it is, fer chrissakes. It's a seriously kick-ass zombie series. Never, ever, ever been done before, and certainly never on this scale.

I dunno, maybe I just appreciate it more than many of you. But I just don't get the bitchfest.

Then again, I'm sure many of you recall how "tired" and old my rants against Avatar became (me included, eventually).

(I do like this show about 5,000,000,000 times better than Avatard, though. Cameron's become an overly-commercial hack.)

I'm just getting sick of the fucking threadcraps. Don't like the show? Stay the fuck outta the thread. PLEASE. We don't need your "thoughts".
I really don't care if anyone else enjoys the show... I know that I am.

It is reasonable to express a negative opinion, especially for the premiere episode... and maybe the 2nd. But I predict that everyone who has complained about the first 2 episodes will continue to watch and complain for the remainder of the season.

Heck, there were some who whined and complained for all six seasons of the Sopranos. They never missed an episode. They never failed to complain about each episode.

And there will be those "snipers" who fade away after the 2nd episode but return for the last episode claiming that they wanted to see if the show had improved and complain that it hadn't.

...and so it goes.
Old 11-11-10, 08:53 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemmy
I wish some of you people would realize this is A)a television series, and it may not have the "perfect" script(s) you all seem to have hidden between your mattress & box spring, just waiting to be made into the zombie series we've all been waiting for....and B)that not everyone reacts the same way in stressful situations (like a zombie apocolypse would surely be), hence, the characters may or may not do what you would do.

Let go, relax, and just try and enjoy it for what it is, fer chrissakes. It's a seriously kick-ass zombie series. Never, ever, ever been done before, and certainly never on this scale.

I dunno, maybe I just appreciate it more than many of you. But I just don't get the bitchfest.

Then again, I'm sure many of you recall how "tired" and old my rants against Avatar became (me included, eventually).

(I do like this show about 5,000,000,000 times better than Avatard, though. Cameron's become an overly-commercial hack.)

I'm just getting sick of the fucking threadcraps. Don't like the show? Stay the fuck outta the thread. PLEASE. We don't need your "thoughts".
I know this is saying a lot, given your history, but this is the most ridiculous post I've ever seen you write Lemmy.

While I appreciate the excuse to agree with your Avatar hate, saying that these threads should be reserved for people who like the show is just silly.
Originally Posted by sracer
It is reasonable to express a negative opinion, especially for the premiere episode... and maybe the 2nd. But I predict that everyone who has complained about the first 2 episodes will continue to watch and complain for the remainder of the season.

Heck, there were some who whined and complained for all six seasons of the Sopranos. They never missed an episode. They never failed to complain about each episode.

And there will be those "snipers" who fade away after the 2nd episode but return for the last episode claiming that they wanted to see if the show had improved and complain that it hadn't.

...and so it goes.
As one of the few people "whining and complaining" about the show (which I would call valid critiquing btw. Your verbiage is quite disparaging. What's wrong with healthy debate, or freedom of speech, or dissenting opinions?), I guarantee that won't be me. If I'm still watching and posting after episode 6 it's because the show has improved to be a top 7 show. I'm hopeful, but not betting on it. The writing is just awful.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.