The Walking Dead - "Guts" - 11/7/10

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Walking Dead - "Guts" - 11/7/10

Old 11-08-10, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Walking Dead - "Guts" - 11/7/10

Originally Posted by Navinabob
So does just about every pet I've ever owned.

And I love having people who don't like show post here; it forces me to watch the show more critically and drives some great dialog here. Some of the remarks of "crappy writing" were possibly warranted (police fight) and probably unwarranted (shooting wife).

I don't quite get all some of the "unoriginal" hated. I suppose nobody remembers all the hatred towards 28 Days Later and the remade Dawn of the Dead where everyone blasted them for not being true to the zombie mythology?

Personally I can't wait for the zombies to fade into the show's background like in the comic books. The comics are not about fighting zombies, they're about what happens to people when they exist day-to-day in a world where zombies rule and the horrific choices people have to make (and live with!) to survive.

"The Walking Dead" isn't a reference to the zombies guys... That's why the fans of the book love it so much.
I didn't mean it as a criticism, it was the expressions themselves that made me laugh.

My cat has a suspicious look too, along with a fuck you one too
Old 11-08-10, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by malichai
Yeah, I'm absolutely judging her now. I didn't care for her in the comic, but am actively despising her on the show.
well,
Spoiler:
she did come back from the dead after having her head chopped off on Prison Break. Ever since then, her acting has been so wooden.

I like the show but I just didn't like the one part where Rick and the blond chick were "guarding the front door." It looked like they just went about their merry way, talking and shopping for pendants in plain view of the zombies, practically egging them to break the door down faster. I mean maybe if they hid and kept a look out, some of the zombies would just go away but they just stood there enticing the zombies more.
Old 11-08-10, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I need to give this ep another viewing. It was pretty distracting how they went from sticking very close to the comic in the pilot to mashing up a lot of stuff here.

comic
Spoiler:
In the comic Glen saves Rick after he is initially surprised and overwhelmed in Atlanta. They escape, mostly via the rooftops, out of the city and head back to the camp, where Rick finds his family. Later, Rick and Glen go on a supply run into the city looking for guns and ammo. They use the dead smell trick before they enter the city and get to a gun shop, but it rains as they are leaving. The undead start attacking them and they barely escape.

Originally Posted by grrr
Rooker's racist character was paint-by-the-numbers, a...
Completely agree. Unfortunately, I doubt we saw the last of him either. He had a whiff of the Governor to me, which for those that don't know is a character that showed up about 30 issues/1 year storytime into the comic. That character was an over the top asshole, took up a major arc and basically ruined the comic for me. I just hope they aren't rushing towards something similar with Rooker's character.

Originally Posted by malichai
Yeah, I'm absolutely judging her now. I didn't care for her in the comic, but am actively despising her on the show.
Yeah, the shot over the wedding ring of her getting drilled was rough.
Old 11-08-10, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chowderhead
well,
Spoiler:
she did come back from the dead after having her head chopped off on Prison Break. Ever since then, her acting has been so wooden.

I like the show but I just didn't like the one part where Rick and the blond chick were "guarding the front door." It looked like they just went about their merry way, talking and shopping for pendants in plain view of the zombies, practically egging them to break the door down faster. I mean maybe if they hid and kept a look out, some of the zombies would just go away but they just stood there enticing the zombies more.
I think in the new world of the walking dead they should replace the phrase, "Time to lean, time to clean" with "Time to lean, time to barricade"
Old 11-08-10, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts

Originally Posted by Navinabob
Personally I can't wait for the zombies to fade into the show's background like in the comic books. The comics are not about fighting zombies, they're about what happens to people when they exist day-to-day in a world where zombies rule and the horrific choices people have to make (and live with!) to survive.

"The Walking Dead" isn't a reference to the zombies guys... That's why the fans of the book love it so much.
I haven't read the comics so I'm taking your word for it but I can't wait to hear all the bitching in these threads once the zombies fade to the background and we get an hour long character study every week. Should make for some fun reading.
Old 11-08-10, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts

I'm enjoying this show and never read the comic, but I would say that it's more a show about the human condition and survival. Sort of like The Colony but with zombies.
Old 11-08-10, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,357 Likes on 922 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
http://www.deadline.com/2010/11/amc-...-for-season-2/

Yup, renewed for season 2.

The ratings held up quite well for episode 2:

4.7M viewers and 3.3M in the 18-49 demos. The demos for this show are insane, especially for a cable TV series.
skipped through the entire thread to see if this was posted. haven't watched last night's episode yet. fuck yeah!
Old 11-08-10, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I haven't read the comics so I'm taking your word for it but I can't wait to hear all the bitching in these threads once the zombies fade to the background and we get an hour long character study every week. Should make for some fun reading.
Yeah, I'm fearing the same thing. But the character drama is more akin to something Chan-wook Park would do then "Days of Our Lives"

When we say it turns into a character drama its more along the lines of trying to explain to your two remaining kids why you tossed their little brother Timmy to the zombies so the rest of them could escape while they ate him.

Oh... and the family is sitting down to polish off what's left of "Daddy" with some BBQ beans.*

*The details above were changed and toned way the heck down. No kidding here.
Old 11-08-10, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

excellent episode though I did enjoy the pilot more. The comics did get crazy good so i cant wait to see the rest of the season and second season!
Old 11-08-10, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Another great episode. I freaking love this series already!
Old 11-08-10, 09:55 PM

This will probably be the most nitpicking comment in the whole thread, but did anyone else sort of get confused when they ran back up to the roof after cutting up the zombie? T-Dog, who had been sitting up there talking to Rooker and manning the radio, dons a trenchcoat, watches them cutting up the zombie and receives the handcuff key. Then they all rush to the roof and T-Dog is still sitting there as if he had been there the whole time. Just seemed like really poor filmmaking to me, but hell, I haven't read the comics.
Old 11-08-10, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a well-directed TV show about zombies, so I can't complain too much.

But Jesus, the writing is terrible. The entire sequence when they took the axe to the zombie corpse was groan-inducing bad. The banter at the camp wasn't much better.

And while I was thrilled to see Rooker (Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer got me hooked on indy cinema), he was totally wasted in that cliched role.

(And who's responsible for outfitting the characters? Glenn's generic b-boy look looked more Short Round than urban.)

BUT, as long as they keep doing aerial shots of zombie hordes, I'm in. Love the look of the series...far grittier (and violent) than I expected.
Old 11-09-10, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chowderhead
I was thinking the same thing. At least hang sheets or curtains over the doors so the walkers can't see inside and maybe lose interest.
Old 11-09-10, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I thought this was better than the pilot. But my first thought in the opening was, "Damn, she's wearing white pants and they are still white after a month of this?" I may have to go adjust my Kinsey score in the Other forum.

I hope the sheriff deputy hooking up with the sheriff's wife dies. Yeah, they think he is dead, and know that the marriage was rocky, but it's just a tv show, and I want him dead. Bro code.
Old 11-09-10, 01:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by kvrdave
I thought this was better than the pilot. But my first thought in the opening was, "Damn, she's wearing white pants and they are still white after a month of this?" I may have to go adjust my Kinsey score in the Other forum.
They were in a mall. She could've easily gotten new pants just an hour earlier.
Old 11-09-10, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by wmansir
Yeah, the shot over the wedding ring of her getting drilled was rough.
Why? What's wrong with trying to move on?
Old 11-09-10, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
They were in a mall. She could've easily gotten new pants just an hour earlier.
White pants gal was the sister of the gal in the mall. She was in the boonies picking mushrooms.
Old 11-09-10, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Croissant!
This will probably be the most nitpicking comment in the whole thread, but did anyone else sort of get confused when they ran back up to the roof after cutting up the zombie? T-Dog, who had been sitting up there talking to Rooker and manning the radio, dons a trenchcoat, watches them cutting up the zombie and receives the handcuff key. Then they all rush to the roof and T-Dog is still sitting there as if he had been there the whole time. Just seemed like really poor filmmaking to me, but hell, I haven't read the comics.
That really stood out to me as well.
Old 11-09-10, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gunde
Why? What's wrong with trying to move on?
Even if her husband were dead the body would still be warm enough for a few of the more peckish zombies to take a nibble.
Old 11-09-10, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This has already jumped past dexter, boardwalk empire, and family guy as the sunday show I have to watch first. Loving it!
Old 11-09-10, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Episode 2 is available on AMC On Demand.
Old 11-09-10, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Having read the comics, you couldn't be more wrong.
Still haven't seen my DVR yet, and that statement was just a joke, but thanks for reminding me where I am. A place where if you make a statement about a comic-based medium that is ignorant or critical but have not read the source material makes everything you post invalid and weightless.
Old 11-09-10, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

Rick and Glenn should have popped their collars to protect their necks....the intenstine was dangerously close to Glenn's skin!
Old 11-09-10, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Rick and Glenn should have popped their collars
It's important, even in the zombie apocalypse, to not look like a total douche bag.
Old 11-09-10, 11:23 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
If you make a statement about a comic-based medium that is ignorant or critical but have not read the source material makes everything you post invalid and weightless.
Glad you see it my way.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.