Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

AT&T U-Verse drops all of my wife's favorite channels. Uh oh.

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-10, 10:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SOURCE

These are literally the only channels my wife watches. She's ready to shatter some kneecaps over at AT&T.

Oh, and how nice of them to give me a free preview of channels I already have. I feel so much better. Thanks, guys!

Maybe now I can finally convince her to cut the damn cable cord for good.

Their Facebook page is getting slammed by angry customers.

AT&T U-verse TV customers have been denied a fair deal for HGTV, Food Network, DIY Network, Cooking Channel and GAC programming by Scripps Networks, leaving AT&T without the rights to deliver these channels as of 1:00 a.m. EDT. AT&T* issued the following statement to update its customers:

We're extremely disappointed that Scripps Networks won't provide a fair deal for AT&T customers. Our team has been working for weeks to reach a fair agreement, but Scripps Networks ultimately refused to put in writing key terms that had been agreed upon verbally, leaving our customers without a fair deal as our extended contract expired.

Unfortunately, this is yet another example of a network punishing its own viewers for leverage in programming negotiations. Scripps Networks is demanding that AT&T pay double what other competitors pay — including smaller-sized affiliates — and has yet to provide a proposal that gives AT&T a choice in the channels we carry and pay for, despite repeated requests.

Scripps Networks also wants this premium price for inferior access to their content for our customers on other platforms, even though other competitors get this at much lower prices. With such an uneven playing field, they are harming AT&T's ability to provide customers with a new video choice.

We will continue to fight for a fair deal to bring these channels back to our lineup because our customers deserve the programming they want, at a fair price.

In the place of HGTV, Food Network, DIY Network, Cooking Channel and GAC during this time, AT&T U-verse customers can enjoy a free preview of the popular programming from TLC on channels 450/1450, Bravo on channels 452/1452, Planet Green on channels 454/1454, ION Life on channel 456/1456 and CMT Pure Country on channel 529.

U-verse TV customers can get more information at att.com/fighting4you.
Old 11-05-10, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
Re: AT&T U-Verse drops all of my wife's favorite channels. Uh oh.

AT&T is trying to get U-Verse to catch on, this isn't the way to do it ... their limited version of VDSL/IPTV in general isn't the way to do it.

If you need more help cutting the cord -- Hulu has 173 episodes of House Hunters up, just play those on a loop and say HGTV merged with DIY and canceled all other programming. Cross that with the Food TV stuff they have and all is forgiven?
Old 11-05-10, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fuck me, Amadeus! They damn well better have the FN back by Sunday so I can continue to watch The Next Iron Chef.
Old 11-05-10, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow I just switched over to U-verse too. The only one that really affects me though is FN
Old 11-05-10, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Seems like the networks/cable battle has been getting ugly. Look at how long cablevision/dish had to go without the Fox channels. Maybe it is time for the FCC to do something.

edit: btw, when that battle was ongoing, the Fox channels had been running a lot of 'get what you pay for' ads telling customers to switch to comcast, directv, or...att.
Old 11-05-10, 12:20 PM
Suspended

Fuck 'em all pretty soon. I'm sick of channels I want not being in HD or not being carried at all. When my DirecTV contract is up, I'm dumping it and just going with Netflix. When there are games on cable, I'll go to a friend's or the bar. I have enough other stuff I can do to keep busy that is much more satisfying than watching TV anyways.
Old 11-05-10, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

DirecTV still has non-HD channels? Comcast finally got on the ball and offers pretty much every basic cable channel in HD now (I mysteriously got G4 HD the other day even though I don't get G4 normally) ... now if only they'd stop with the skewed, stupid digital cable plans.
Old 11-05-10, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aJOHNymous
SOURCE

These are literally the only channels my wife watches. She's ready to shatter some kneecaps over at AT&T.

Oh, and how nice of them to give me a free preview of channels I already have. I feel so much better. Thanks, guys!

Maybe now I can finally convince her to cut the damn cable cord for good.

Their Facebook page is getting slammed by angry customers.
Holy crap. DIY, HGTV and Food Network are a few of my favorite channels, and the wife loves the cooking channel.

I know many guys like DIY and HGTV as well
Old 11-05-10, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

My wife would be unthrilled if DTV got rid of HGTV.
Old 11-05-10, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
I know many guys like DIY and HGTV as well
Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of home renovation shows, but I just started watching The Vanilla Ice Project on DIY (which we just got added to our lineup 3 weeks ago!) and have found it to be quite entertaining.

This whole situation is so ridiculous. A few people on the FB page have mentioned getting 6 month credits (at $15-$20 per month). This makes it seem like negotiations are going pretty badly and we either won't be seeing these channels come back by the end of this year, or they're already considering a new deal with Scripps to be DOA.

Once again, consumers pay the price. These bastards can't even get AMC HD! I have zero faith in them to make this right for their customers.
Old 11-05-10, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aJOHNymous
Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of home renovation shows, but I just started watching The Vanilla Ice Project on DIY (which we just got added to our lineup 3 weeks ago!) and have found it to be quite entertaining.

This whole situation is so ridiculous. A few people on the FB page have mentioned getting 6 month credits (at $15-$20 per month). This makes it seem like negotiations are going pretty badly and we either won't be seeing these channels come back by the end of this year, or they're already considering a new deal with Scripps to be DOA.

Once again, consumers pay the price. These bastards can't even get AMC HD! I have zero faith in them to make this right for their customers.
There is a show on the DIY that does landscaping/backyard ideas and stuff like that, I am always looking for ideas about landscaping.
Old 11-05-10, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

get used to this

a year or so ago some channel got a good deal from comcast or Time Warner, forgot who. now all the content creators are asking for more money from the cable/sat companies and pulling their channels if they don't get it. i forgot the exact breakdown, but something like $30 of your cable bill goes to the companies that create the content
Old 11-05-10, 03:59 PM

Consumerist just picked up the story so I expect this to get pretty interesting within the next few days.
Old 11-05-10, 04:09 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
F*** me, Amadeus! They damn well better have the FN back by Sunday so I can continue to watch The Next Iron Chef.
This.
Old 11-05-10, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemmy
As it should, if not more. Where would the cable company be without them?!?

Yes, but don't forget one small point. These networks are riddled with commericials. It would seem like ratings and ad rates would drop if they pull their networks from a major provider.

Do they want to be pay networks or collect ad revenue? Both of couse.
Old 11-05-10, 04:47 PM

It should be interesting in our household tonight, my 10 yr old goes to sleep with the Food Network on. It is the only way he goes to sleep without trying to stay up and watch tv.
Old 11-05-10, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We should pay the cable, satellite, phone, whatever company a certain amount per month for the infrastructure they are offering. We should then be able to buy the channels we want, one by one or possibly in small packages (I'm not complaining if I can buy all the ESPN channels for one monthly fee). That's the model that will keep these players honest.
Old 11-05-10, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Fear not! Brighthouse cable, which doesn't require a contract, has been running ads saying that they'll help you get out of your slave contract with att if you switch.
Old 11-05-10, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well this sucks. We were just about to switch to ATT U-verse b/c our Comcast bill is about to explode. This is not a good sign about the possibility of us getting a better deal with Comcast. They and ATT are the only games in town, too.
Old 11-05-10, 11:20 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Where the hell is my alton brown!?!?!?!? Ahhhhhhhhh
Old 11-05-10, 11:53 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Food Network Bravo has a message going across it blaming Scripps for taking the channels away. Oh brother!
Old 11-07-10, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's back and just in time for The Next Iron Chef.
Old 11-08-10, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

Did they reach a deal?

So what's going to happen in the long run? They start charging even more for a "basic" package for tv, or providers have huge gaps in channels?
Old 11-10-10, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Lemmy
His new nighttime ritual:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PH54cp2ggFk?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PH54cp2ggFk?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
I would prefer that but he did end up watching FIT TV for some unknown reason. I think he just wants the tv on for light rather than actually having a night light.