Old 10-26-10, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
No Ordinary Family -- "No Ordinary Quake" -- 10/26/10

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2010-09-03

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Jim goes into search mode to discover the cause of some recent earthquakes; Stephanie begins to suspect that JJ may be lying about his lack of super powers; and Daphne struggles with morality issues when she reads the minds of a fellow student and teacher and suspects they may be having an affair.

Episode 5 of 22 (Yes, if you didn't already see my thread on Page 1, this got a full season)

Written by Todd Slavkin & Darren Swimmer (Both worked on Smallville)
Directed by Timothy Busfield.
Old 10-26-10, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: No Ordinary Family -- "No Ordinary Quake" -- 10/26/10

This dross got a full season? Wow.
Old 10-26-10, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by HE Pennypacker
Yeah this got a full season and that other show you hate Outsourced. Sorry.

Last edited by DJariya; 10-26-10 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-26-10, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Now we're talkin'! Loved this episode, everything clicked. Glad I stuck with the show.

(JJ being on the football team is still stupid, though.)
Old 10-27-10, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HE Pennypacker
I was just as surprised as you. Are kids watching this?
Old 10-27-10, 02:48 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Thought this episode continued the previously established excellence in shittiness. Oh Chiklis, you deserve so, so, SO much better.
Old 10-27-10, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guess I'm the only one who liked (or even watched) this ep. What did you guys not like? I thought the humor, action and family drama were all really well done.

JJ finally revealed his superpower. Daphne is finding out that her superpower has its limitations. I loved seeing Jim and Steph use their powers together. We also got some good movement on the larger story arc of other superheroes being out there and Steph's boss being involved. (I've always thought the FX on this show were great).

Loved it. Sorry that you guys didn't.
Old 10-27-10, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have liked every episode so far. The "Heroes Lite" complaints mean little to me because I never watched that show (dross from what I heard!)

But I don't think everything this show serves up are gold nuggets that fell out of the writer's asses.

For one, I am REALLY getting sick of the wife and the high horse she rides around on. She wants to deride everybody else for using their powers and she's running to a changing room in a department store? I get it...people can't see her because she runs so fast. But people who may have been looking at her out of the corner of their eye or directly would suddenly see her disappear and then reappear with new clothes on? Seriously...and she wants to ride everybody elses' ass for abusing their powers?

And I think they should lay off the son. He has a super power...I get it. He has an advantage that others don't. That didn't stop Clark Kent from playing football in high school. Why should it stop him from playing football? He had one bad play and is now off the team? It's his brain processing the information, he clearly understands it...like other players aren't using what comes natural to them to play the best they can? I don't know...maybe just after seeing episode after episode of the dad and mom using their powers whenever they please and now riding their son's ass for using his it just felt so hypocritical to me.

And don't get me started on that, "You are cheating...you are cheating yourself" speech at the end. Where did they get that from? A left over Brady Bunch script. LAME.

Over all I like the episode, but the parents and their hypocritical behavior really irritates me. I did like it that we did see the son and the dad use their powers together to save that woman, so maybe we will see more of the family using their powers together.

And I am glad they got picked up for a full season. Sorry it's not going over so well with a lot of people here but glad to see it's going over well over all.
Old 10-27-10, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

The show is decent family entertainment. People expecting Watchmen are bound to be disappointed, but the cast so far seems very likable. I have not been that impressed with most of the storylines revolving around the kids, whose plots seem ripped from bad shows on ABC Family. The teen daughter's idea to turn the teacher in was strange, considering how little proof she had of the alleged relationship.
Old 10-28-10, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO...not one of the better eps. I will continue watching......like the premise of the show and feel some of the better episodes will be coming later in the season.
Old 10-28-10, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

i actually thought it was much better than other episodes. now we know there are more people with powers and are being kept by the "company." sure, it's like heroes, but at least the special effects on this are halfway decent for tv.
Old 10-28-10, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The show is decent family entertainment. People expecting Watchmen are bound to be disappointed,...
Sorry...but "family entertainment" and "Watchmen" in the same sentence? Watchmen was hardly "family entertainment." Maybe it would make more sense to say people expecting The Incredibles are bound to be disappointed.
Old 10-29-10, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The show is decent family entertainment. People expecting Watchmen are bound to be disappointed, but the cast so far seems very likable.
Originally Posted by calhoun07
Sorry...but "family entertainment" and "Watchmen" in the same sentence? Watchmen was hardly "family entertainment."
Umm, I think that was two sentences...

I'm waiting for some sort of big reveal on this show. It's been dragging its feet for far too long.

Let's see some more info about the other people with powers and how they got them.
Let's see JJ get a haircut (or show his head getting larger (because his brain is growing) so his hair fits better)!
Let's see the family in spandex superhero costumes! Well, maybe not Chiklis....

--John
Old 10-29-10, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wait...so you want to see the teen boy in spandex?

And people on the Modern Family thread are creeped out because some people think the daughter is hot?
Old 10-29-10, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by calhoun07
Wait...so you want to see the teen boy in spandex?

And people on the Modern Family thread are creeped out because some people think the daughter is hot?
Didn't think of that! Maybe he can be the one wearing a cape!

--John
Old 10-29-10, 03:55 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

both this daughter and the one on Modern family are well over legal age in real life so no issues there

This is another show i watch in the background whilst playing pool. Considering i practice pool 2 hours a day, it's good to have a few of these shows