Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Community -- "Messianic Myths and Ancient Peoples" -- 10/21/10

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-10, 10:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Community -- "Messianic Myths and Ancient Peoples" -- 10/21/10

So this is what a bad episode of Community looks like.

Abed's story never paid off and wasn't even that great of a social commentary. The premise and gags in Pierce's story were pretty lazy and something I'd expect from a lesser show.

The "fight and make up" format of the show is actually pretty annoying if you don't have a good episode to back it up.
Old 10-22-10, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread is getting depressing. Someone post a GIF of Alison Brie to make up for this episode!
Old 10-22-10, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Didn't care much for this one. But it was the first episode that was a miss for me, so I'll allow it.

Kept waiting for the main story to really bring it home, and it never did.
Old 10-23-10, 05:17 AM
Banned

If it isn't stupid humor or LOL laughs it doesn't click with the internet fandom. Surprise, Surprise.

This was hardly a "bad" episode, and I really liked how it came together at the end with Shirley and Abed exchanging the "You humble me" lines. Pretty heartwarming stuff there. I don't think you can have a Shirley episode without it being a little serious, seeing as how she's the most 'serious' character out of the entire group. I knew what I was in for when she mentioned that only 7 people were in her church last week and then the cold open faded out on a shot of her sad face while everyone laughed.

I'm aware that few people on the 'net even have a heart to warm, however, so I expected the lukewarm responses.
Old 10-23-10, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I also live in the Albuquerque area so Community didn't air in it's time slot due to the debate. The newscast announced that it would air at 3 am so I set my DVR to record. I was busy yesterday so I watched the show awhile ago. This episode wasn't great at all. It was sort of funny when Abed starting making his movie but after that nothing was funny. I think the next's episode will be very good based on the episode's descriptions I have read.
Old 10-23-10, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Yavin
This thread is getting depressing. Someone post a GIF of Alison Brie to make up for this episode!
NSFW

Spoiler:
Old 10-23-10, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I liked the Ben Lyons/I Am Legend reference at the beginning.

Old 10-23-10, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
If it isn't stupid humor or LOL laughs it doesn't click with the internet fandom. Surprise, Surprise.

This was hardly a "bad" episode, and I really liked how it came together at the end with Shirley and Abed exchanging the "You humble me" lines. Pretty heartwarming stuff there. I don't think you can have a Shirley episode without it being a little serious, seeing as how she's the most 'serious' character out of the entire group. I knew what I was in for when she mentioned that only 7 people were in her church last week and then the cold open faded out on a shot of her sad face while everyone laughed.

I'm aware that few people on the 'net even have a heart to warm, however, so I expected the lukewarm responses.
I don't think it's fair to paint us all as simpletons who can't appreciate more serious television.

Perhaps the episode wasn't "bad" in an absolute sense, it's just Community has set the bar high and this episode didn't meet those expectations for a lot of us.

If you're into heartwarming sentimental TV with meaningful character development, etc, you can probably do a lot better than Community. It's the goofy humor that keeps people coming back every week, and I don't think it's just the "internet fandom" that feels this way.
Old 10-23-10, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SpanishTechno
I don't think it's fair to paint us all as simpletons who can't appreciate more serious television.
Don't feed the troll.

It's fine for anyone to post positive or negative comments about the show, but if someone starts making comments on the people making comments, don't take the bait, just ignore it.
Old 10-23-10, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I didn't find the episode to be as terrible as some people in this thread. It was enjoyable but still one of the weaker Community episodes.
Old 10-23-10, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,050 Likes on 831 Posts

"C'mon Charlie Kaufman, some of us have to work in the morning."

The "Hey Bitch, why don't you go back to your temple." onward it got a bit weird.