TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Teach: Tony Danza - Fridays on A&E beginning 10/01/10

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-10, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Teach: Tony Danza - Fridays on A&E beginning 10/01/10

From A&E.com;

Long before his iconic acting career, which includes roles in “Taxi” and “Who’s The Boss,” Tony Danza received a degree in History Education. During the 2009-2010 school year, he took on his most challenging and rewarding role yet as he stepped into the classroom as a full-time teacher at Philadelphia’s Northeast High School. “Teach: Tony Danza” follows the first year-teacher as he instructs a 10th-grade English class with 26 students in back-to-back 45-minute periods.

The series will look at the challenges Danza faced and the rewards he experienced as a first-year high school teacher. Under the watchful eye of Northeast Principal Linda Carroll and in-classroom teaching coach David Cohn, Danza applied incredible creativity and ceaseless dedication in his day-to-day tasks of planning lessons and executing them in the classroom, administering quizzes and exams, grading homework, eng aging in small learning communities with other faculty, and meeting with parents. Beyond the real-life duties of teaching, Danza took on quite a few additional roles outside the classroom including helping the football team, the band, and the debate team, and organizing a successful fundraiser for the school. And he became a true member of the Philadelphia community, partaking in events with the mayor, singing the national anthem at a Phillies game and lending his support to a variety of charity and fundraising events.
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1_zce16702M?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1_zce16702M?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I wasn't even aware of this show until about 15 minutes ago, but I think it looks pretty decent. I've always been a fan of Danza, and he looks really earnest with the kids in the clips I just watched.

Last edited by MrSmearkase; 09-30-10 at 06:50 PM.
Old 09-30-10, 06:42 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Re: Teach: Tony Danza - Fridays on A&E beginning 10/01/10

can they teach him not to be an Italian stereotype?
Old 09-30-10, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder how effective and dedicated most high school teachers would be if they only had 2 classes a day to plan/grade/teach (and had another full-time teacher in the room with them at all times).
Old 09-30-10, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
can they teach him not to be an Italian stereotype?
I know, remove the colon from the title and you have an SNL sketch.

I googled a few reviews, and they are fairly positive towards the show. Another story I read noted that Danza stuck around after production had wrapped and finished the school year with his classroom.
Old 09-30-10, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by WallyOPD
I wonder how effective and dedicated most high school teachers would be if they only had 2 classes a day to plan/grade/teach (and had another full-time teacher in the room with them at all times).
Indeed, the school system would likely be much more efficient with more hands on deck. No arguments here.
Old 09-30-10, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ay oh ay
Old 10-01-10, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase
Indeed, the school system would likely be much more efficient with more hands on deck. No arguments here.
And teachers would still complain about not getting paid enough...well the unions would anyway.
Old 10-01-10, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Take the cameras away and I guarantee he'd be dealing with another class.