TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Event -- "To Keep Us Safe" -- 09/27/10

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-10, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Re: The Event -- "To Keep Us Safe" -- 09/27/10

Originally Posted by superfro
In the pilot Sean was stuffing a workers uniform into the trash in the airplane bathroom. But yes, I'm sure we'll get that full story as well.

My only complaint was Sean not questioning the FBI agents on how he was able to kill a guy in a room on a cruise that he was apparently not on since they wiped all his info.

That's right. I'll continue to wonder how he got the gun on the plane (same with the father-pilot).

Wasn't the FBI fully aware of him being on the cruise, or at least made aware - the policeman specifically asked about the Caribbean so it was in the database (or at least presumably planted there)?
Old 09-28-10, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm very much enjoying this show. The flashbacks are a bit too many, but as another poster said, they're really not that hard to follow. And unlike the flashbacks in LOST, everytime they jump to a flashback here, it's to reveal something about the current situation. (Such as the one guy gets commissioned to head up a task force...then the flashback shows he's one of them.)

Also loving how quickly they're answering questions and there don't seem to be a ton of nonsensical moments.

Though I'm still not convinced they have to be aliens. If they're from WAY in the future or something, that might account for a genetic change and how they arrived.

EDIT: I also like how they seemed to have answered exactly what "the Event" was in episode 2--the arrival of the aliens. I figured it would take all season to get there...
Old 09-28-10, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
EDIT: I also like how they seemed to have answered exactly what "the Event" was in episode 2--the arrival of the aliens. I figured it would take all season to get there...
Exactly. Especially since I imagine a lot of folks are like me in trying to out think the show, or at least stay ahead of it. Obviously they're going to do this since they foreshadowed that. To have them essentially say "We were going to tell you that in a minute anyway." is kind of refreshing.
Old 09-28-10, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I thought this episode was better than the pilot. However, my main problem I have with this show is that I don't care about any of these characters. So it doesn't matter to me when the show is answering all these questions. Also, I still don't like how they are handling the flashbacks, it's not hard to follow, but it's just annoying to me how they execute it. Did anybody think the soundtrack on this episode was very Lost-like?
Old 09-28-10, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by outcastja
I thought this episode was better than the pilot. However, my main problem I have with this show is that I don't care about any of these characters. So it doesn't matter to me when the show is answering all these questions. Also, I still don't like how they are handling the flashbacks, it's not hard to follow, but it's just annoying to me how they execute it. Did anybody think the soundtrack on this episode was very Lost-like?
Is it even possible to care about characters after the second episode?

I didn't give two shits about Jack Bauer and his stupid kidnapped family after the first couple episodes of 24, but I certainly grew to care about that character. I didn't even know what David Palmer's name was after the first couple episodes but I sure grew to care about him too.

To anybody that watched ER back in the day, did you care so much about Mark Green after only the second episode that you'd even fathom crying if/when he died?

The show is still establishing the characters. I don't think you're supposed to care about them yet because at this point we really don't know anything about them.
Old 09-28-10, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

You're right, care is probably the wrong word, I should say I'm not interested in any of the characters right now. Most shows I generally like, there's usually a couple of stand out people that I like from the beginning. For example, this new TV season, I already like the two leads in Undercovers, Nucky and Jimmy in Boardwalk Empire, the mom in Raising Hope, and Scott Cann's character in Hawaii 5-0.
Old 09-28-10, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by outcastja
I care about the guy who's life has been completely jerked around. I'm certainly interested in seeing what the story is behind the CIA/Intelligence chief/director. Same with the lead alien and the alien apparently behind the Event. Obviously the DB Sweeney and Taylor Cole characters.
Old 09-28-10, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I still would lay money they are not aliens, but human time-travelers from the far future who have been genetically engineered to be better than us. But something that mankind does in the present will lead to Earth being unlivable in the future and force the future people to leave the planet. That neatly solves them being both human and off-worlders.

I think it is preposterous that the U.S. government would basically hold them captive for 66 years with apparently no significant understanding of their motives. 1944 looks like it was picked more for the World War II setting than any logical reason. There will definitely be flashbacks set in that period if I had to guess. Picking 1945 would have at least coincided with the dropping of the first atomic bombs.
I was thinking exactly this. Although I'm not ordinarily a big fan of time travel stories, I think I can deal with this kind of time travel story. Unlike Lost where our protagonists were travelling back in time and changing/not changing an already established story line, we have no idea what the future story line is here. We have no idea of the problems they're trying to fix or their motivations or the seemingly different groups who seem to have opposing views on how to proceed. And that's probably what this series will be about -- not the revealing of some big mysterious "Event" but the unravelling of a future story-line and how these travellers interact with our present.

I have to say, the guys behind this show are from the anti-Abrams/Darlton school of storytelling. And that makes them my kind of people.

[Puts on tin foil hat]FWIW, I think these guys have read up on UFO lore. UFOs started appearing in big numbers in the mid-forties and the term "flying saucer" was coined in 1947. Also, the Roswell incident occurred in 1947 very near the 509th Bomb Group's home base. The 509th was formed for one purpose -- to deliver atomic bombs. The planes that A-bombed Japan were of the 509th squadron. It is also believed by some in the community that UFOs are not in fact aliens but our future selves travelling back in time -- to a time before atomic bombs and genetic manipulation became common place. So I wonder if this is the framework from which this show's writers are working?[Removes tin foil hat]
Old 09-28-10, 11:23 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I still would lay money they are not aliens, but human time-travelers from the far future who have been genetically engineered to be better than us.
fuck, my cover is blown!
Old 09-28-10, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I half-caught the premiere, but really sat down and watched this one. I liked it a lot---very interested in seeing where this goes.
Old 09-28-10, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Second episode lost 2 million viewers from the pilot.
Old 09-28-10, 02:52 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Chew
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1ytCEuuW2_A?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1ytCEuuW2_A?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 09-28-10, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Chew
I would expect viewership to go down from the premiere, especially the way the premiere jumped around. I think the real proof will be next week, to see if it stays about the same as this one.

I'll be ticked if yet another interesting show with a mystery gets canceled right after we all buy in.
Old 09-28-10, 03:11 PM

My guess is they aren't aliens, they're Prey.
Old 09-28-10, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

I have to assume also that Simon Lee is one of "them" after he pulled out that tube from his vein.
They as much said so in the first episode when he visits Sofia at the Alaskan prison. He talks about letting the Russians in on whatever's going on and she says no.
Old 09-28-10, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
I would expect viewership to go down from the premiere, especially the way the premiere jumped around. I think the real proof will be next week, to see if it stays about the same as this one.
Wasn't it also the strongest premier in the new NBC lineup? So it probably had the most to lose naturally.
Old 09-28-10, 03:49 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

It sure as heck was the most promoted premiere. Assuming it came with a hefty price tag.
Old 09-28-10, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I actually liked the pilot better, but having said that, I think it's going pretty well so far. Already 2 episodes in and we've learned more than we ever did in Lost.
Old 09-28-10, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

I liked this one a lot better than the pilot. I still think that some of the time jumping is unnecessary. It's interesting enough for me to keep watching. I think it'll survive assuming the ratings don't go totally into the tank, considering that NBC doesn't really have any other scripted hit shows.
Old 09-28-10, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Decent episode but I can't help but feel the show is just combining formulas from other successful shows (The Lost and 24 elements being the most obvious along with the 4400). I'll stay on board for a few more episodes though and see how it goes.
Old 09-28-10, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

Enjoyed this episode too. The time-jumping doesn't bother me but maybe that's because I spent all summer watching The Good Guys which has the same non-linear storytelling. It's not the best show ever (but seriously it's only the second episode) but I'm interested enough in the storylines to keep watching.
Old 09-28-10, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not bad....not great. I still have not totally committed myself to this show...maybe next week will convince me.
Old 09-28-10, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

This latest ep had me riveted. I was really diggin' it.
Old 09-28-10, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

This show doesn't hide its influences. A plane crash being a major plot element? A government conspiracy being another? Flashbacks as a major storytelling device? But if you're going to a show like this, Lost and 24 are pretty good places to start looking for inspiration. Lost may not have fully delivered in the end, but it was one hell of a great ride getting there.

As for the ratings, NBC has to be jizzing their pants over the ratings so far. Like I said in the Lone Star thread, The Event killed Lone Star. It had nearly 3.5 million more viewers than Chuck did this week. It's doing that in a very tough time slot.
Old 09-28-10, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TheKing
This show doesn't hide its influences. A plane crash being a major plot element? A government conspiracy being another? Flashbacks as a major storytelling device? But if you're going to a show like this, Lost and 24 are pretty good places to start looking for inspiration. Lost may not have fully delivered in the end, but it was one hell of a great ride getting there.

As for the ratings, NBC has to be jizzing their pants over the ratings so far. Like I said in the Lone Star thread, The Event killed Lone Star. It had nearly 3.5 million more viewers than Chuck did this week. It's doing that in a very tough time slot.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but just beating Chuck isn't anything to write home about. Hasn't Chuck's ratings been fairly unimpressive all along? Chuck always seems to be on the list of shows that are going to get axed.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.