Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Event -- New Series -- "Pilot" -- 09/20/10

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-10, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Event -- New Series -- "Pilot" -- 09/20/10

I wanted to like this show but its pure garbage, hope NBC cancels it ASAP!!
Old 09-21-10, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by SteelWill
That uber douche planned a romantic getaway to propose to his girlfriend, asked his girlfriend's father for his blessing to marry her, jumped off a cliff to save a girl from drowning, recoiled when said girl later started getting a little too friendly, and hopped onto a plane he knew was going to plow into the ground. Yeah, what a tool.
But he didn't have a full grown moustache!

Last edited by superfro; 09-21-10 at 01:40 PM.
Old 09-21-10, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SteelWill
That uber douche planned a romantic getaway to propose to his girlfriend, asked his girlfriend's father for his blessing to marry her, jumped off a cliff to save a girl from drowning, recoiled when said girl later started getting a little too friendly, and hopped onto a plane he knew was going to plow into the ground. Yeah, what a tool.
I wasn't really insulting the guy on the show.

I was just saying that in real life, hot chicks go out with dudes that are seemingly complete tools and many times other guys are completely baffled as to why such a hot chick would go out with such a douche. People get together for all kinds of reasons.
Old 09-21-10, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He kinda looked like a young Cornell.

And yeah, it felt like the FlashForward pilot. I was annoyed by the flash forwards too. The quality was below average in general, but I'll give it a couple of episodes.

I read somewhere that this is supposed to be the anti-Lost show. They'll answer a lot of questions every episode. In the second episode they'll answer why the girlfriend and what happened to her.

I think they concentrated too much in the "anti" and forgot to create their own show...
Old 09-21-10, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hope that poster upthread with the time travel theory is dead wrong. Please be wrong. I am so done with time travel. Screw time travel.

So, my theory: The cruise ship is actually a spaceship with a wormhole connection to the airplane and...bah, I got nothing.

All in all, an ok start IMO. Certainly enough to keep me around.
Old 09-21-10, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by Raul3
In the second episode they'll answer why the girlfriend and what happened to her.
I would assume the gf is being held hostage (along with the little girl - her daughter? or little sister?) to get the pilot father to crash the plane.

And yes, to the above poster, for the love of god, no time travel because even Lost annoyed me with it. Leave that to the Babylon 5s and Star Treks....saving whales to tell probes what to go do with themselves, Enterprise-C, and Kirk telling a 1967 Air Force officer that his starfleet uniform is just a little something that he slipped on.

Last edited by Red Dog; 09-21-10 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-21-10, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Flave
I hope that poster upthread with the time travel theory is dead wrong. Please be wrong. I am so done with time travel. Screw time travel.

So, my theory: The cruise ship is actually a spaceship with a wormhole connection to the airplane and...bah, I got nothing.

All in all, an ok start IMO. Certainly enough to keep me around.
I hope it's not time travel as well, I've always hated the concept. Lost was an exception because I liked how they handled it.

I kept waiting for Chris Cornell to check the safe to see if the ring was still in it. I don't think we're done with that ship yet.

Last edited by sauce07; 09-21-10 at 04:32 PM.
Old 09-21-10, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by sauce07
I kept waiting for Chris Cornell to check the safe to see if the ring was still in it. I don't think were done with that ship yet.
Good call. I had forgotten about that.
Old 09-21-10, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I would assume the gf is being held hostage (along with the little girl - her daughter? or little sister?) to get the pilot father to crash the plane.
I don't quite understand why someone would plan such an elaborate kidnapping of the young woman (changing room keys, canceling cell service, planting new occupants in the room, etc.) in order to get the father to fly the plane when simply nabbing the little girl when she went to get her bike would have sufficed.

My theory is the plane crash was meant to kill Sofia and NOT the President.
Old 09-21-10, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
But the pres is who wanted the detainees released - the only one who did apparently. Seems like he would be a good target for the 'others'.
Old 09-21-10, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

I don't quite understand why someone would plan such an elaborate kidnapping of the young woman (changing room keys, canceling cell service, planting new occupants in the room, etc.) in order to get the father to fly the plane when simply nabbing the little girl when she went to get her bike would have sufficed.

Back to my time travel theory. The president was going to announce something about the secret prison and the release of the prisoners. Somebody in the future doesn't want that to happen. To prevent it they travel back in time to get the pilot of a plane to crash the plane into the news conference. Other people in the future open a time portal, transporting the plane, saving the president.
At somepoint the time line is altered in that the guy and his girlfriend were never on the cruise ship. Somehow he is outside the timeline because his timeline didn't change. He also knows the future and was trying to prevent the plane attack. The government agent guy also knows the future and was trying to stop the plane.
If this show is about people from the future, the people in the prison may be from the future, the govt. agent is one of them we don't know about, the guy on the cruise is one but doesn't know he's one.
Old 09-21-10, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts

Enjoyed the premiere and I'll stick with it. It's possible that the crash was meant to take them both out. My question is, why did the VP and CIA guy and the military brass all conveniently leave right before all hell broke loose.
Old 09-21-10, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I would bet money the plot boils down to time travel just among humans, possibly different factions fighting over the time line. The major networks learned years ago advertising any show as science fiction beforehand severely limits the ratings, as many people and particularly women simply ignore that genre. So they hide the core concept as long as possible until a show builds an audience. Listen to how the ABC executives handled the first year of Lost.

The flashback structure will be incorporated to show different perspectives of a changing timeline is my guess. The pilot felt like Flashforward more than Lost, which is not a good sign.
Old 09-21-10, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Tough premier to follow with all the "time jumps". Not a great premier (unlike Lost which was fantastic) but I'm willing to give it a few episodes to see where it goes.
Old 09-21-10, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm starting to think that in this separate story line, the scuba girl is going to say she's Chris Cornell's girlfriend. They definitely made a point to show her taking that photo on the boat. If this thing is as fully worked out as they claim it is, those fluff scenes have to mean something.
Old 09-21-10, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by sauce07
I'm starting to think that in this separate story line, the scuba girl is going to say she's Chris Cornell's girlfriend. They definitely made a point to show her taking that photo on the boat. If this thing is as fully worked out as they claim it is, those fluff scenes have to mean something.
I bet you're right about that. He's going to wake up in that hospital bed and she'll be there and he'll say something like where's my girlfriend and she'll say I'm right here. Where that could actually go from there I have no clue, but I can definitely see that happening.
Old 09-21-10, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just watched it now, pretty good not great I have to say I don't know what to think of the ending. I get sort of a Langoliers vibe which isn't necessarily a good thing.
Old 09-21-10, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This episode is now available for free download through iTunes.

They also have the pilots of Lone Star and Outlaw, and Season 3/Episode 1 of Castle for free download.
Old 09-21-10, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Sewso
I wanted to like this show but its pure garbage, hope NBC cancels it ASAP!!
what? Sounds like you came into the show hating it. I mean to say they hope they cancel it ASAP?

Watched it on Itunes and I thought it was a pretty decent show. Dont really care much for the timeline bouncing around but its a well produced show with some pretty good visuals and set extensions. It has me wanting to stick with it to see what happens. Cast was pretty good too. From the pilot I think its one of the better "lost" type shows that have came.

I liked it quite a bit.
Old 09-22-10, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by rw2516
Back to my time travel theory. The president was going to announce something about the secret prison and the release of the prisoners. Somebody in the future doesn't want that to happen. To prevent it they travel back in time to get the pilot of a plane to crash the plane into the news conference. Other people in the future open a time portal, transporting the plane, saving the president.
At somepoint the time line is altered in that the guy and his girlfriend were never on the cruise ship. Somehow he is outside the timeline because his timeline didn't change. He also knows the future and was trying to prevent the plane attack. The government agent guy also knows the future and was trying to stop the plane.
If this show is about people from the future, the people in the prison may be from the future, the govt. agent is one of them we don't know about, the guy on the cruise is one but doesn't know he's one.
If you're on the side that wants to save the target, why don't you just let them waste their time and allow them to carry out their elaborate plan to kill whomever they wanted to kill. Then, when you see that they succeed, just go back in time to when you think you can stop them easily and stop them? Then, that would prevent and undo the killing(s).
Old 09-22-10, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant11
Just watched it now, pretty good not great I have to say I don't know what to think of the ending. I get sort of a Langoliers vibe which isn't necessarily a good thing.
Good call. Next week we see razor-sharp pac mans eating yesterday away.
Old 09-22-10, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sounds like I can skip this show too.
Old 09-22-10, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I propose we make The Event threads non-linear as well. In order to comment on response 127 you have to go back to comment 14 and then comment 291.
Old 09-22-10, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I guess I'm one of the few that enjoyed it.
Old 09-22-10, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

gradvt06... i enjoyed it too

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.