Search this Thread

Old 08-20-10, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Haven -- "Sketchy" -- 08/20/10

Haven

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
A bent and broken body is discovered, kicking off inexplicable events that may be linked to a troubled person who can hurt people from afar.

Episode 8 of 13

Finally caught up after slogging through 3 weeks worth of episodes. After a rough start, I've actually grown to like this show, especially the locales in Nova Scotia. Emily Rose is steadily growing into a solid young lead actress. Don't know how long this show lasts, but I hope she gets more acting jobs.
Old 08-21-10, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Haven -- "Sketchy" -- 08/20/10

at nobody bothering to jump into the water to save the life of the captain. Asshole didn't even warrant getting their clothes wet - at least Nathan made a half-hearted attempt to fish his picture out . The chapel's steeple blowing up was also pretty cool.

I wish more people were watching this. Fantasy is so underrepresented on TV. Haven may not be Emmy material, but I think it's an interesting show with a good cast. I mention this in every thread, but I love the locale and the way the show uses it. It adds a lot of flavor to the show.

My one complaint is the glacial pace of the larger story arcs. We've had a few mentions of the "Colorado Kid" and "the Troubles," but it's gone nowhere. Also, in the Pilot it was made clear that Audrey's FBI boss had some knowledge of the Troubles, but that hasn't been revisited since.
Old 08-21-10, 12:20 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Can't start this one yet, I'm still trying to find my way out of another 13-episode trap.

Old 08-21-10, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Can't start this one yet, I'm still trying to find my way out of another 13-episode trap.

I lost track of that show when it changed time slots. Based on reading the threads, I'm glad I did. Sounds brutal.
Old 08-21-10, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to love the show, but so far I can only say that I like it enough for now. In general I agree that the multi-episode arcs are moving kind of slow, but that isn't too much of a problem as long as the case of the week is interesting enough. But I'm starting to get more annoyed by Audrey. She has all of the people skills of a fence post, and doesn't seem to be growing, or even having any desire to grow in that regard. She's rude, pushy and abrasive to pretty much everyone, without really showing much humanity so far. And I also keep expecting them to give Duke a little more dimension, but so far, nothing.

As for this episode, there were a couple of plot problems (like why they didn't confront the killer with guns drawn, rather than standing there with stupid looks on their faces while he destroyed the steeple). Yes, they had Duke lying in wait with the sketch but that, too, seemed contrived. Why not just show up already holding the sketch out for him to see? And as Fist of Doom mentioned, why didn't Nathan dive in the water to save the guy's life? Sure, the guy was a killer, but still, it seemed out of character for Nathan to basically just let him drown.
Old 08-22-10, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ They were stalling. The sketch was in the killer's safe and they needed time for Duke to break into the safe and get it.