Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Futurama -- "The Prisoner of Benda" -- 08/19/10

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Futurama -- "The Prisoner of Benda" -- 08/19/10

Old 08-19-10, 09:45 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk God
Thread Starter
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 66,091
Received 1,114 Likes on 831 Posts
Futurama -- "The Prisoner of Benda" -- 08/19/10

Futurama

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Crew members are able to swap minds thanks to a state-of-the-art gadget.


Episode 10 of 13
Old 08-19-10, 10:03 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
kstublen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 7,631
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Futurama -- "The Prisoner of Benda" -- 08/19/10

Haha, awesome episode.
Old 08-20-10, 02:48 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bluetoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,964
Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
Re: Futurama -- "The Prisoner of Benda" -- 08/19/10

Since that last scene with the swapping left my head spinning, I went back to try to figure it out. Here is how it went down:

Spoiler:

Notation:

Person's Body (Person's Mind).

Round 1:

Part 1

Fry(Zoidberg) switches with Clyde(Clyde). This gives us the pair of Fry(Clyde) and Clyde(Zoidberg).

Zoidberg(Fry) switches with Bubblegum(Bubblegum). This gives us Zoidberg(Bubblegum) and Bubblegum(Fry).

Part 2

Clyde(Zoidberg) switches with Zoidberg(Bubblegum), giving us Zoidberg(Zoidberg) and Clyde(Bubblegum). Zoidberg is normal.

Bubblegum(Fry) switches with Fry(Clyde), giving us Bubblegum(Clyde) and Fry(Fry). Fry is normal.

At this stage, Clyde and Bubblegum are switched.

Round 2

Part 1

Next, Professor(Leela) switches with Clyde(Bubblegum), giving us Clyde(Leela) and Professor(Bubblegum).

Bucket(King) switches with Bubblegum(Clyde), giving us Bucket(Clyde) and Bubblegum(King).

Part 2

Clyde(Leela) switches with Leela(Professor), giving us Clyde(Professor) and Leela(Leela). Leela is normal

Bubblegum(King) switches with King(Bender), giving us Bubblegum(Bender) and King(King). The King is normal

At this stage, Clyde has the Professor's mind, and Bubblegum has Bender's mind. The real Clyde is in the bucket's body, and the real Bubblegum is in the Professor's body.

Round 3

Part 1

Hermes(Amy) switches with Clyde(Professor) giving us Hermes(Professor) and Clyde(Amy).

Bender(Professor) switches with Bubblegum(Bender), giving us Bender(Bender) and Bubblegum(Professor). Bender is normal

Part 2

Clyde(Amy) switches with Amy(Bucket), giving us Clyde(Bucket) and Amy(Amy). Amy is normal.
Bubblegum(Professor) switches with Professor(Bubblegum). Bubblegum and Professor are normal.

Lastly, Bucket(Clyde) and Clyde(Bucket) switch. Clyde and the Bucket are normal.
Old 08-20-10, 06:17 AM
  #4  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 116
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Futurama -- "The Prisoner of Benda" -- 08/19/10

That might have been the best Futurama episode of all time. Funny, funny stuff.
Old 08-20-10, 08:16 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 41,884
Received 397 Likes on 314 Posts
Re: Futurama -- "The Prisoner of Benda" -- 08/19/10

Guy (Fry) gets frozen on new years 2000, gets revived in the distant future and works as a delivery man with his distant nephew (Dr. Farnsworth).

Basically goes from there, no real "goal" to get his life back / go back in time anymore.
Old 08-20-10, 08:43 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 125,344
Received 169 Likes on 135 Posts
Re: Futurama -- "The Prisoner of Benda" -- 08/19/10

at Robot-bucket and Scruffy.
Old 08-20-10, 03:32 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Nth Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,405
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Futurama -- "The Prisoner of Benda" -- 08/19/10

Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
Since that last scene with the swapping left my head spinning, I went back to try to figure it out. Here is how it went down:

Spoiler:

Notation:

Person's Body (Person's Mind).

Round 1:

Part 1

Fry(Zoidberg) switches with Clyde(Clyde). This gives us the pair of Fry(Clyde) and Clyde(Zoidberg).

Zoidberg(Fry) switches with Bubblegum(Bubblegum). This gives us Zoidberg(Bubblegum) and Bubblegum(Fry).

Part 2

Clyde(Zoidberg) switches with Zoidberg(Bubblegum), giving us Zoidberg(Zoidberg) and Clyde(Bubblegum). Zoidberg is normal.

Bubblegum(Fry) switches with Fry(Clyde), giving us Bubblegum(Clyde) and Fry(Fry). Fry is normal.

At this stage, Clyde and Bubblegum are switched.

Round 2

Part 1

Next, Professor(Leela) switches with Clyde(Bubblegum), giving us Clyde(Leela) and Professor(Bubblegum).

Bucket(King) switches with Bubblegum(Clyde), giving us Bucket(Clyde) and Bubblegum(King).

Part 2

Clyde(Leela) switches with Leela(Professor), giving us Clyde(Professor) and Leela(Leela). Leela is normal

Bubblegum(King) switches with King(Bender), giving us Bubblegum(Bender) and King(King). The King is normal

At this stage, Clyde has the Professor's mind, and Bubblegum has Bender's mind. The real Clyde is in the bucket's body, and the real Bubblegum is in the Professor's body.

Round 3

Part 1

Hermes(Amy) switches with Clyde(Professor) giving us Hermes(Professor) and Clyde(Amy).

Bender(Professor) switches with Bubblegum(Bender), giving us Bender(Bender) and Bubblegum(Professor). Bender is normal

Part 2

Clyde(Amy) switches with Amy(Bucket), giving us Clyde(Bucket) and Amy(Amy). Amy is normal.
Bubblegum(Professor) switches with Professor(Bubblegum). Bubblegum and Professor are normal.

Lastly, Bucket(Clyde) and Clyde(Bucket) switch. Clyde and the Bucket are normal.
I didn't even try to work it out, but I assume the math formula the Harlem Globetrotters used is correct.

Fantastic episode. I was laughing almost the whole time.
Old 08-20-10, 06:05 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bellport, NY
Posts: 751
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Futurama -- "The Prisoner of Benda" -- 08/19/10

The Zoidberg-Fry/Professor-Leela scenes were disturbingly hilarious
Old 08-20-10, 07:22 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
kstublen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 7,631
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Futurama -- "The Prisoner of Benda" -- 08/19/10

Originally Posted by Nth Power View Post
I assume the math formula the Harlem Globetrotters used is correct.
Only in Futurama does that sentence actually make sense.
Old 08-20-10, 09:30 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Posts: 29,763
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Futurama -- "The Prisoner of Benda" -- 08/19/10

amybender doing the porn soundtrack was great
Old 08-20-10, 10:35 PM
  #11  
MrX
DVD Talk Legend
 
MrX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 24,973
Likes: 0
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Re: Futurama -- "The Prisoner of Benda" -- 08/19/10

I liked Zoidberg still walking like he normally does while Fry's body
Old 08-21-10, 07:16 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 2,649
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Futurama -- "The Prisoner of Benda" -- 08/19/10

For some reason, the Professor's quote "Science cannot move forward without heaps" struck me as extremely funny. Best episode of the new season.
Old 08-21-10, 08:14 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
CKMorpheus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 8,030
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Futurama -- "The Prisoner of Benda" -- 08/19/10

Futurama Writer Invented A New Math Theorem Just To Use In The Show

A writer for Futurama created a brand new math theorem based on group theory to explain a plot twist in the show. That is like, going way beyond the call of duty, dude.

Ken Keeler, the Futurama writer behind the theorem, actually has a PhD in math, so this was probably just a walk in the park for him. But for the rest of us non math geniuses, his theorem was used to explain a problem with an invention that let characters switch bodies. In the show, you can only switch bodies once with the same pair of people, so they needed an equation to prove that with enough switching bodies around, everyone will eventually end up as who they really are. Insert: funny jokes, robot humor and black comedy and mix accordingly.

Keeler's theory would mathematically put everybody in the right place so that all could be right in the Futurama world. Without Keeler's work, Bender's brain might have ended up in Amy's body forever! Which, to think about, actually might not be such a bad thing. I'm no Keeler so I can't explain his theory but you can check out the proof in full here. [TheInfosphere.org via Geekosystem]
http://gizmodo.com/5618502/futurama-...se-in-the-show
Old 08-21-10, 08:21 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Augusta, GA USA
Posts: 2,131
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Futurama -- "The Prisoner of Benda" -- 08/19/10

Anyone notice how much faster paced these new episodes are? Not saying it's a bad thing, but it feels kinda strange with somewhat less character development. With that being said, the makeout scene between Zoidberg and the Professor had me rolling. Good episode!
Old 08-21-10, 08:23 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
TheNightFlier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: NIMBY, NY
Posts: 5,909
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Futurama -- "The Prisoner of Benda" -- 08/19/10

What a great episode.

Nonchalanto
Old 08-21-10, 09:04 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 77,315
Received 446 Likes on 322 Posts
Re: Futurama -- "The Prisoner of Benda" -- 08/19/10

that was a brilliant episode. man, seriously, this season is spectacular. i am so glad this is back.
Old 08-21-10, 09:48 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Work. Or commuting. Certainly not at home.
Posts: 17,816
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Futurama -- "The Prisoner of Benda" -- 08/19/10

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
that was a brilliant episode. man, seriously, this season is spectacular. i am so glad this is back.
Definitely. Great episode. We've had two absolute classics in the last few weeks (this one and The Late Philip J. Fry).
Old 08-21-10, 10:59 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shazam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Canuckistan
Posts: 10,027
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Futurama -- "The Prisoner of Benda" -- 08/19/10

OMG that was the funniest thing that I should've seen via legal methods in ages.
Old 08-22-10, 12:15 AM
  #19  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 1,054
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Futurama -- "The Prisoner of Benda" -- 08/19/10

Great episode! Thank you Comedy Central!
Old 08-22-10, 09:04 AM
  #20  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: behind the eight ball
Posts: 19,389
Likes: 0
Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts
Re: Futurama -- "The Prisoner of Benda" -- 08/19/10

this was great. The evolution episode didn't work for me for some reason, but this one exceeded expectations.
Old 08-23-10, 12:17 AM
  #21  
DVD Talk Legend
 
whotony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ^ Kristen Bell
Posts: 20,221
Received 128 Likes on 104 Posts
Re: Futurama -- "The Prisoner of Benda" -- 08/19/10

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Guy (Fry) gets frozen on new years 2000, gets revived in the distant future and works as a delivery man with his distant nephew (Dr. Farnsworth).

Basically goes from there, no real "goal" to get his life back / go back in time anymore.
are you saying this in response to something or just reminding yourself what the premise of the show is?
Old 08-23-10, 12:51 AM
  #22  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bluetoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,964
Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
Re: Futurama -- "The Prisoner of Benda" -- 08/19/10

Originally Posted by whotony View Post
are you saying this in response to something or just reminding yourself what the premise of the show is?
There was a first time post from some guy that was deleted, asking about the premise of the show.
Old 08-23-10, 07:38 AM
  #23  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 71,379
Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts
Re: Futurama -- "The Prisoner of Benda" -- 08/19/10

Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
There was a first time post from some guy that was deleted, asking about the premise of the show.
The mods deleted some guy? I didn't know they had that kind of power!
Old 08-23-10, 11:25 AM
  #24  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: In Yao Ming's left shoe
Posts: 1,733
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Futurama -- "The Prisoner of Benda" -- 08/19/10

Saw this over the weekend, spoilerized for size:

Spoiler:
Old 08-27-10, 09:05 AM
  #25  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Xander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 4,435
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Futurama -- "The Prisoner of Benda" -- 08/19/10

Finally saw this last night. SO damn funny. Loved Scruffy and the Mop Bucket.

I SAID Bow-chicka-wow-WOW.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.