TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Beavis And Butt-Head to return to MTV

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-10, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Beavis And Butt-Head to return to MTV

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainmen...#ixzz0tfuW0eUi
'Beavis and Butt-head" -- the show that celebrated the slacker way of life and helped make MTV into a network that did more than just play music videos -- is coming back.

The move to resurrect the hugely popular 1990s animated anti-heroes has been rumored for several days. But yesterday, sources at MTV confirmed that a new batch of "Beavis and Butt-head" episodes are in the works.

The new series would keep Beavis and Butt-head in their perpetual high-school state, but it would be updated so that the pals -- who obsessively watch music videos on a battered TV set -- could lob their snarky comments at more current targets like Lady Gaga.

The show's minimalist animated style is also expected to remain intact.
The return of "Beavis and Butt-head" will be a backdoor means for MTV to return to showing music videos -- something the network was founded upon but abandoned in the last decade to make room for popular reality shows like "Laguna Beach," "The Hills" and "Jersey Shore."

"Beavis and Butt-head," which premiered in 1993, began as an animated short called "Frog Baseball," which aired on MTV's "Liquid Television."
The basic plotline revolved around two shorts-wearing, spectacularly immature teenage pals whose banter was delivered against the backbeat of their constant idiotic laughter.
Series creator Mike Judge, who's also creating the new episodes, voiced both characters.
The guys worked at a fast-food joint and were always out to "score" with "chicks" when they weren't sitting on a ratty couch watching music videos.
Beavis, the blond half, usually wore a Metallica T-shirt and would morph into his crazed, gibberish-spewing alter-ego, "Cornholio," when he ingested too much sugar.
Butt-head was the "cooler" of the two. He usually wore an AC/DC T-shirt and often picked on Beavis in much the same way Moe would slap around Curly, Larry and Shemp on "The Three Stooges."
The duo was so successful they were spun off into a 1996 big-screen movie, "Beavis and Butt-head Do America" and a marketing juggernaut of T-shirts and character trinkets.
A recurring character on the show, high-school classmate Daria (whom they called "Diarrhea"), eventually got her own MTV series.
After MTV canceled "Beavis and Butt-head" in 1997, Judge went on to create "King of the Hill" for Fox.
He also wrote the cult-classic movie comedy "Office Space" and last year's big-screen movie "Extract."
MTV officials had no comment yesterday.
Judge is "not commenting at this time," his publicist said.

I have high hopes for it and Beavis and Butthead making fun of the crap that calls itself music today could be gold
Old 07-14-10, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Re: Beavis And Butt-Head to return to MTV

This would be great. I wonder if they would still wear the same T-shirts?
Old 07-14-10, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am opposed to this big time. MTV will surely fuck this up so bad...I cannot even begin to fathom what this might turn into.

More reasons for me not to watch MTV...since I don't already.
Old 07-14-10, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by macnorton
I am opposed to this big time. MTV will surely fuck this up so bad...I cannot even begin to fathom what this might turn into.

More reasons for me not to watch MTV...since I don't already.
well judge is still writing and starring in them,
Old 07-14-10, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I'll watch it but I don't have high hopes. South Park has set the bar for animated humor (IMO) and unless B&B are going to throw around f-bombs and touch on hot topics this will fail.
Old 07-14-10, 01:17 PM

Beavis and Butthead... in HD? Hmmm...

Although I wouldve preferred to see them in college, instead of still being in high school... hopefully this doesnt suck.
Old 07-14-10, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Drav3n
Beavis and Butthead... in HD? Hmmm...

Although I wouldve preferred to see them in college, instead of still being in high school... hopefully this doesnt suck.
You think those idiots make it out of HS???? And go to college???????????????

Man I loved this show I can't wait.
Old 07-14-10, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemmy
Yes, but my biggest beef with this new show will probably be that I was at least familiar with the videos that B&B used to lampoon in the old series, and some of them I was a huge fan of, or became a fan of...I get the feeling that, if they use music videos in the new series as they did in the old one, that I won't know about/care about any of the music....

...just like the rare occasions when MTV plays videos now.
It's not their fault you got old.
Old 07-14-10, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunde
It's not their fault you got old.

Hell, I'm curious to see what a music video nowadays looks like. I don't think I've seen one in over a decade.
Old 07-14-10, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Larry C.
You think those idiots make it out of HS???? And go to college???????????????

Man I loved this show I can't wait.
Well I figured 10+ years they had to EVENTUALLY graduate! lol I can see it happening where the school is just tired of them and forces them to graduate and tricks a college into accepting them.
Old 07-14-10, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wonder if the other characters will still be there. Anderson, Stewart, Daria, Todd. Hope so. I'd think Anderson is guaranteed since Judge voices him.

This will be the first time I'll watch MTV since Viva La Bam ended. For the videos, I haven't seen any on TV in years but I do catch some top 40 on the radio so I might recognize some songs.
Old 07-14-10, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rob V
I'll watch it but I don't have high hopes. South Park has set the bar for animated humor (IMO) and unless B&B are going to throw around f-bombs and touch on hot topics this will fail.
This.

South Park has come a very long way in the past thirteen years its been on the year. What was once just an offensive and tasteless (not that there's anything wrong with that) now is the most topical "traditional" comedy on television due to their production schedule. The show isn't as strong as it was during its peak, but there's sometime where Matt and Trey are able to pull off some gems (ie: the 200th episode).

How Judge will elevate B&B remains to be unseen, but hopefully its better than the Ren and Stimpy Adult Animation Party Fuckshow that was on Spike for three weeks.
Old 07-14-10, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I can't stand South Park. Bring on Beavis and Butthead! I havn't watched MTV since the show ended! lol.
Old 07-14-10, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Woah! This is cool! Uh huh huh huh huh huh

Yeah Yeah, this rules! Heh heh heh

I was of the same feeling about MTV being a wasteland, but The Hard Times of R.J. Berger and Warren The Ape have at least given me a glimmer of hope that MTV won't be the problem here.

I'm more worried about Mike Judge. He's the guy that blocked many of the episodes from being released on DVD, and he's been working on far more family friendly animation since (King Of The Hill, The Goode Family). I'm worried that he's going to neuter the show before MTV gets a chance to.

But still, like Family Guy and Futurama, it's nice to see the boys get a second chance.
Old 07-14-10, 03:34 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Awesome news!!!
Old 07-14-10, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Drav3n
Well I figured 10+ years they had to EVENTUALLY graduate! lol I can see it happening where the school is just tired of them and forces them to graduate and tricks a college into accepting them.
Ok I buy that but the questions is 10 years +... Are they still virgins?
Old 07-14-10, 03:40 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Glad to hear Judge will be involved. Looking forward to this.
Old 07-14-10, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I will at least give this a shot for the sake of nostalgia.
Old 07-14-10, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lemmy
...just like the rare occasions when MTV plays videos now.
MTV airs videos every day from 3-9AM. Palladia shows videos. MTV Hits and Jam are all videos. MTV2 airs videos. MTVu is nearly all music videos. Tr3s is nearly all videos. LOGO airs videos.

What B&B will do is bring music videos back to primetime, something that has been tough because audiences today don't want to sit on a couch and watch a video block. Not when you can log onto the internet and create your own music video playlist. If people did then MTV would have brought them back earlier. B&B provides the hook that you need to anchor a music video show.

It's a full season order too. I've heard over 30 episodes. Should be good. And I say that as someone who ordered every B&B episode that Time Life sold like 10 years ago.

Last edited by BJacks; 07-14-10 at 06:12 PM.
Old 07-14-10, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Larry C.
Ok I buy that but the questions is 10 years +... Are they still virgins?
I believe the correct terminology would be if they finally "scored" Hmm... either route could be funny, but Im gonna lean towards the virgin side. I think it would be much funnier if they aged, were still in school and still havent "scored"
Old 07-14-10, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bjacks
mtv airs videos every day from 3-9am. Palladia shows videos. Mtv hits and jam are all videos. Mtv2 airs videos. Mtvu is nearly all music videos. Tr3s is nearly all videos. Logo airs videos.

What b&b will do is bring music videos back to primetime, something that has been tough because audiences today don't want to sit on a couch and watch a video block. Not when you can log onto the internet and create your own music video playlist. If people did then mtv would have brought them back earlier. B&b provides the hook that you need to anchor a music video show.

It's a full season order too. I've heard over 30 episodes. Should be good. And i say that as someone who ordered every b&b episode that time life sold like 10 years ago.
:cough: Self promotion :cough:
Old 07-15-10, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

this show is ROCK!
Old 07-15-10, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by resinrats
Wonder if the other characters will still be there. Anderson, Stewart, Daria, Todd. Hope so. I'd think Anderson is guaranteed since Judge voices him.
Hope so, Todd was an awesome character. I really liked the few segments he was in.

One thing I liked was they would rip on obscure crap music videos like the europeans- animal song, I don't know if they would do that now. They also had it out for the metal band Grim Reaper, those were some of the best.
Old 07-15-10, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Awesome news! Lady Gaga.

Maybe MTV will bring back Undressed, too.
Old 07-15-10, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by statcat
Hope so, Todd was an awesome character. I really liked the few segments he was in.

One thing I liked was they would rip on obscure crap music videos like the europeans- animal song, I don't know if they would do that now. They also had it out for the metal band Grim Reaper, those were some of the best.
That is kind of a problem. Do those kind of videos even exist anymore? I mean the heyday of the music video was gone by the time the show ended, so they don't even have a great number of videos from the last 13 years to pick from.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.