Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Reality shows - do you feel dirty after watching?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Reality shows - do you feel dirty after watching?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-10, 11:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Reality shows - do you feel dirty after watching?

Well, you're right, OtR isn't a reality show like Cops or Medical Mysteries. It IS a talent show, so perhaps my classification was much too broad and over-generalized.

My point was that the most intense, captivating, and moving portion of each episode was the sing-off and Webber's decision as to which girl to "save" and which to let go. After a few installments of this, I began to have this sinking feeling that I was watching the show solely to witness the proverbial car crash. It simply didn't sit right.

As I wrote, the performances were so close at times that Webber had to perform the extent of a coin toss to see which girl would advance to the next round. And when the girl for whom I wanted to win was dropped, I gotta admit it made me fairly angry. The girl who did win the role of Dorothy I suppose had the best all-around performance, but she seemed much too bland and "safe" in comparison to many of the others. One girl (coincidentally my favorite) oozed such charisma, energy, and had such a unique voice that I just could not believe she lost, which led me to think that maybe >I< was being led down a faux yellow brick road and the winner had already been decided far in advance (I sincerely hope that wasn't the case, but my cynical side was screaming otherwise).

Anyway, I guess the point of all this is that I don't like to see people "lose" like this. Not when they've obviously got the dedication and put in the work necessary to be considered a "winner". At least in other venues, like the Olympics, recognition is awarded to not just the gold medalist, but also to the silver and bronze. Yeah, yeah, I know in this country that, in the words of George C. Scott, "Americans love a winner and will not tolerate a loser.", but that doesn't mean everyone who doesn't win first place are putzes.

Incidentally, in case I wasn't clear enough earlier, if you're at all interested in stage performance, The Wizard of Oz, Judy Garland, and/or Andrew Lloyd Webber, I do HIGHLY recommend OtR. It is one masterfully produced show.
Old 06-20-10, 02:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Getting back to your topic question, I don't feel dirty watching them, but I do see an awful lot of grimy residue on my TV when I catch an occasional glimpse of Jersey Shore or Rock of Love.

I don't really watch any of the shows so I don't have to feel dirty.
The clips on The Soup and Jimmy Kimmel are enough for me to see what wretched trash it is.
Old 06-20-10, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by HUG-H
Getting back to your topic question, I don't feel dirty watching them, but I do see an awful lot of grimy residue on my TV when I catch an occasional glimpse of Jersey Shore or Rock of Love.

I don't really watch any of the shows so I don't have to feel dirty.
The clips on The Soup and Jimmy Kimmel are enough for me to see what wretched trash it is.
I do watch The Soup, I catch Jimmy Kimmel once in a while. About the only time I'll ever see this shit referred to as scripted, I mean "reality", TV.

And yes, my statement earlier about it helping the decline of society was likely an overstatement...but the shit is still really fucked, guess they won't stop producing it though until people wise up enough to stop watching it lol
Old 06-20-10, 08:46 AM

There is one exception: I did watch Wife Swap once, because a lady whom I have a mild acquaintance with was the woman who swapped with Richard Hini! This was before the whole "Balloon Boy" thing happened.
That's the ONLY time I watched! It was a lame show anyway, but it was weird to see Karen and her family on this show!
Old 06-20-10, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't really watch them. It is nice though that shows like Modern Family and Glee have come up and put reality shows a bit on the back burner. They aren't going away but at least they're not the only option anymore.
Old 06-21-10, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fleggett
That's just "a few"? Oh, dear.

I've never even heard of much of that list.
Yes. That is hardly a complete list but rather the most popularly known shows. Just because you haven't heard of them doesn't mean they're not there. But for arguments sake, let's limit that list to what is on "major" broadcast network TV (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, CW) in primetime:

Amazing Race
American Idol
America's Got Talent
America's Most Wanted
America's Next Top Model
The Apprentice
The Bachelor
The Bachelorette
Bachelor Pad
Big Brother
Biggest Loser
Cops
Dancing With The Stars
Extreme Home Makeover
Hell's Kitchen
Kitchen Nightmares
Last Comic Standing
Losing It with Jillian
Masterchef
So You Think You Can Dance
Survivor
True Beauty
Undercover Boss
Wife Swap
Wipe Out

That's still quite a list IMHO.
Old 06-21-10, 11:51 AM

Yeah, if you love reality shows you're certainly not going to suffer from lack of choice LOL
Old 06-27-10, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just started watching something called 'Pretty Wild'. OMG so much fap material. Do I feel dirty after watching? Nah, I just keep a box of tissues nearby.
Old 06-27-10, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I actually feel awesome and like its time well spent after watching Jersey Shore or Top Chef.

I feel dirty after watching a nice safe procedural crime show cause they hooked me on the formula like a junkie from a young age.
Old 06-27-10, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

TLC has got to be the worst for reality shows. I remember when that channel was good and you actually learned something. I'm learning now that if I don't wear what other people tell me to wear I'm a piece of shit that should jump of a bridge.

The little people shows are getting out of hand. I'm a guy wheelchair and I don't get a TV show. Little People, Big World was good because it showed what daily life is like for little people. Now they just go on trips every week.

I don't have a problem with reality TV and shows like Survivor and The Amazing Race are more like game shows like other people have been saying.

I do like Cake Boss and Pawn Stars (on the History channel). Those cakes are fucking awesome and I like the stuff they bring into the shop on Pawn Stars and the little bidding war between the buyer and the owner.

A&E has reality shows that are important and help people. Hoarders and Intervention are great shows. My guilty pleasure would be Paranormal State.
Old 06-27-10, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by HUG-H
There is one exception: I did watch Wife Swap once, because a lady whom I have a mild acquaintance with was the woman who swapped with Richard Hini! This was before the whole "Balloon Boy" thing happened.
That's the ONLY time I watched! It was a lame show anyway, but it was weird to see Karen and her family on this show!

I will also confess to watching an episode of Wife Swap. I saw the teaser for the "God Warrior" woman and had to watch based off that. I did derive a sick, guilty pleasure from watching it.

On a side note, I'm surprised by the number of little people shows that are out there. It seems like a new one crops up every month. I didn't realize there was such a strong fascination with little people. I did watch a couple episodes of something called Pit Boss simply because the female "midget" was a lesbian and I recognized her girlfriend from an episode of House.