TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Penn & Teller Bull****: Fast Food - 06/17/10

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-10, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,380 Likes on 941 Posts
Re: Penn & Teller Bull****: Fast Food - 06/17/10

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Because I feel like it should be regulated. Of course people should eat in moderation but people are dumb. That's a whole other debate for another forum but that's how I feel and why I was upset.
so you want the government to intrude on our lives and limit our choices. got it.
Old 06-20-10, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
so you want the government to intrude on our lives and limit our choices. got it.
Correct. Much like cigarettes have nearly been outlawed everywhere, fast food needs to be banished. Heart disease, not breast cancer or whatever disease of the month is in vogue, is the number one killer in the US. It really is just a matter of time before the government starts regulating the industry.
Old 06-20-10, 02:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I quit smoking about 7 years ago and don't miss it. That being said that I think it's one of the dumbest fucking ideas to demonize smokers (I happen to like and stand behind the no smoking laws in public places) and at the same time rely on all the tax revenue they generate.

Go ahead and ban the shit and the government would just raise your taxes to even higher levels. We keep going with the bullshit attitude that the country seems to be adopting of being accepting of more government control and we most certainly won't be able to call ourselves the Land of the Free anymore...

I most certainly am not a republican, but I still gotta say Fucking democrats

And btw, just saw this episode and thought it was pretty good. I guess they don't want the gov't tellin what they can and can't eat either. That blonde chick seemed like a mega bitch. Fuckin skinny salad eatin bitch LOL

Last edited by extreme2700; 06-20-10 at 02:50 AM.
Old 06-20-10, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,380 Likes on 941 Posts

Correct. Much like cigarettes have nearly been outlawed everywhere, fast food needs to be banished. Heart disease, not breast cancer or whatever disease of the month is in vogue, is the number one killer in the US. It really is just a matter of time before the government starts regulating the industry.
so we blame the food, instead of the idiots who can't stop eating it. i see.
Old 06-20-10, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 635 Likes on 509 Posts

Damn this show was bullshit. I cannot believe the stance they took on fast food. Usually I agree with them, but I absolutely cannot believe they took the side of fast food. Ridiculous. Lost all respect for them.
Yeah. Forget about the people who occasionally have it - let's take away their choice too.
Old 06-20-10, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not agree fast food should be banished from the face of the planet, but I don't see any reason why the government can't subsidize organic farming and outlaw HFCS from foods and finally ban BPA from canned foods and plastics. Because they DO subsidize foods, but it's such unhealthy foods to make things cheaper that it really is harming the health of people over a life time.

We, as a nation, need to get past this "perceived perception" thing that more expensive food=healthier food, thus perpetuating the pricing of organic products in the store. People do want to eat well, but they want convenient and inexpensive choices to do so. Right now, it's foods filled with sodium, HFCS, transfats and higher BPA levels that's the inexpensive cheap stuff in the stores. You think the government should regulate it even MORE? They already subsidize it so it can be found cheaply in the stores. Asking them to regulate something they have allowed with subsidies doesn't strike me as the best answer.
Old 06-20-10, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a two way street. I'm not arguing that we shouldn't blame the people. But I also don't share the libertarian view of putting the power in the peoples' hands.

My real criticism is that I thought it was irresponsible/ridiculous that Penn & Teller found a nice non-overweight family to do their story on. To me it was akin to them doing them a show on the one guy that didn't get lung cancer from smoking all his life.

Originally Posted by calhoun07
I do not agree fast food should be banished from the face of the planet, but I don't see any reason why the government can't subsidize organic farming and outlaw HFCS from foods and finally ban BPA from canned foods and plastics. Because they DO subsidize foods, but it's such unhealthy foods to make things cheaper that it really is harming the health of people over a life time.

We, as a nation, need to get past this "perceived perception" thing that more expensive food=healthier food, thus perpetuating the pricing of organic products in the store. People do want to eat well, but they want convenient and inexpensive choices to do so. Right now, it's foods filled with sodium, HFCS, transfats and higher BPA levels that's the inexpensive cheap stuff in the stores. You think the government should regulate it even MORE? They already subsidize it so it can be found cheaply in the stores. Asking them to regulate something they have allowed with subsidies doesn't strike me as the best answer.
Yeah, I totally agree that there is the myth about eating healthy costing more. Also, eating healthy still has a hippie/liberal vibe and hasn't been embraced by the mainstream. I don't have any answers other than something needs to be done.
Old 06-21-10, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk God

It's a two way street. I'm not arguing that we shouldn't blame the people. But I also don't share the libertarian view of putting the power in the peoples' hands.

My real criticism is that I thought it was irresponsible/ridiculous that Penn & Teller found a nice non-overweight family to do their story on. To me it was akin to them doing them a show on the one guy that didn't get lung cancer from smoking all his life.

Yeah, I totally agree that there is the myth about eating healthy costing more. Also, eating healthy still has a hippie/liberal vibe and hasn't been embraced by the mainstream. I don't have any answers other than something needs to be done.

I still find it hard to imagine that you couldn't believe they would take the libertarian stance.

As for the family - wasn't that the point....just because you eat a lot of fast food doesn't automatically mean you are going to get fat.
Old 06-21-10, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They did it to illustrate that not everyone who eats fast food is an overweight slob. They showed that you can eat fast food and that exercising and leading an active life style can afford you to able to. So essentially they were showing the truth. How is this any different than advocates on the other side of the fence who show those videos of fat people from the neck down when they talk about fast food? To say it's irresponsible is being a bit too reactionary.

It sounds like your problem is with Penn's politics rather than the subject matter of the episode.
Old 06-21-10, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I've said this around these parts many times before, but if the government were truly serious about curbing obesity, they'd stop the corn subsidies.

"Regulating" fast food (what would that even entail? Warnings on the wrapper? Fast food taxes?) would be counter-productive.
Old 06-21-10, 09:10 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
As for the family - wasn't that the point....just because you eat a lot of fast food doesn't automatically mean you are going to get fat.
It's not automatic, but the odds are good that if you eat a lot of fast food, you are going to get fat. A Big Mac, regular fries, and medium coke gives you 1130 calories and 48 grams of fat. That's a lot for one meal, and if you do that once in a while, you'll be fine, but if you do it often, you're in trouble. I don't agree at all with banning fast food, but I also don't agree with pretending it's not a problem.
Old 06-21-10, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I remember when I was a young kid (in the 80's) when my parents got us McDonald's it was considered a special occasion or treat. People just go to these places way too much and have sedentary life styles.
Old 06-21-10, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk God

The odds are you eat a lot of food while doing nothing but sitting on your ass, you're going to get fat.
Old 06-21-10, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
"Regulating" fast food (what would that even entail? Warnings on the wrapper? Fast food taxes?) would be counter-productive.
What else? A sin tax. Or follow Nanny Bloomberg's lead.
Old 06-21-10, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The odds are you eat a lot of food while doing nothing but sitting on your ass, you're going to get fat.
If only there were some type of governmental body that could make my choices for me....
Old 06-21-10, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JasonF
It's not automatic, but the odds are good that if you eat a lot of fast food, you are going to get fat. A Big Mac, regular fries, and medium coke gives you 1130 calories and 48 grams of fat. That's a lot for one meal, and if you do that once in a while, you'll be fine, but if you do it often, you're in trouble. I don't agree at all with banning fast food, but I also don't agree with pretending it's not a problem.
I recently read the book Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes and it was pretty eye-opening. Part of the book highlights research which suggests that people overeat because they're getting fat; people don't get fat because they overeat.

We all know those skinny people that eat fast food every day. This all suggests that our current understanding of weight control is very embryonic.
Old 06-21-10, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 89 Likes on 68 Posts

Allow me to recommended that everyone here check out the documentary 'Fathead' on this very topic.
Old 06-21-10, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 292 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by rocketsauce
I remember when I was a young kid (in the 80's) when my parents got us McDonald's it was considered a special occasion or treat. People just go to these places way too much and have sedentary life styles.
This is exactly true, it was a treat on a special occasion. It shouldn't be regulated at all because some can't control themselves.
Old 06-21-10, 11:34 AM

In our house we are firm believers in considering your portion size. There is no way I could eat a big mac, fries, and a drink in 1 sitting. We occasionally eat fast food (family of 4), and when we do - we each get a sandwich, we split 1 order of fries for the 4 of us, and 2 drinks - 1 for each side of the table.

I just can't imagine the amount of "food" some people consume in a single sitting.
Old 06-21-10, 11:49 AM

I've said this around these parts many times before, but if the government were truly serious about curbing obesity, they'd stop the corn subsidies.

Yeah, the corn subsidies are Bullshit. Suppose I shouldn't say that around a corn farmer...

Originally Posted by buzzdalf
In our house we are firm believers in considering your portion size. There is no way I could eat a big mac, fries, and a drink in 1 sitting. We occasionally eat fast food (family of 4), and when we do - we each get a sandwich, we split 1 order of fries for the 4 of us, and 2 drinks - 1 for each side of the table.

I just can't imagine the amount of "food" some people consume in a single sitting.
Not a bad way to go about it, generally people do eat too much to begin with...at least many Americans do.
Old 06-21-10, 04:13 PM

If you regulate fast food, don't you have to regulate every single other source of food? Chain restaurants, Local restaurants, Supermarkets, Sidewalk vendors, Vending Machines, Carnival Food even dumpsters would need regulation. Who in their right mind even goes to a fast food joint when you have excellent local fare to get fat on.

I live on an island that doesn't allow fast food restaurants and I am proof you don't need it fast to get chubby!

Natural Selection!
Old 06-22-10, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

It isn't like cigarettes though. Places are designated non-smoking or smoking is banned so as not to intrude on the rights of non-smokers. I shouldn't have to breath your crap when I'm trying to eat a meal, y'know? Where you smoke impacts other people who just want to breath relatively fresh air. Where you eat doesn't impact anybody else. I'm with Thoreau. The government is best which governs least. Stay out of my food choices!
Old 06-22-10, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by ytrez
It isn't like cigarettes though. Places are designated non-smoking or smoking is banned so as not to intrude on the rights of non-smokers. I shouldn't have to breath your crap when I'm trying to eat a meal, y'know? Where you smoke impacts other people who just want to breath relatively fresh air. Where you eat doesn't impact anybody else. I'm with Thoreau. The government is best which governs least. Stay out of my food choices!
Don't waste time looking for logic
Old 06-23-10, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk God

If you can't ban 'em, sue 'em....

http://money.cnn.com/2010/06/22/news...n_bin&hpt=Sbin

McDonald's warned: Drop the toys or get sued
By Ben Rooney, staff reporter
June 22, 2010: 3:32 PM ET

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- A nutrition watchdog group is threatening to sue McDonald's if the fast-food giant won't stop using toys to to lure children to its Happy Meals .

The Center for Science in the Public Interest said Tuesday that it has served McDonald's notice of its intent to sue over what it says is unfair and deceptive marketing.

"McDonald's is the stranger in the playground handing out candy to children," CSPI's litigation director, Stephen Gardner, said in a prepared statement. "It's a creepy and predatory practice that warrants an injunction."

In its notice letter, CSPI says that McDonald's toy-related promotions violate state consumer protection laws in four states and the District of Columbia. The letter gives McDonald's 30 days to agree to stop the practice before a suit is filed.

The nutrition group claims that using toys to entice children instills bad eating habits and puts kids at higher risk of risk of developing obesity, diabetes, or other diet-related diseases over the course of their lifetime.

McDonald's disagreed with the CSPI's criticism, saying that its U.S. advertising campaign is focused on low-calorie Happy Meals.

"We couldn't disagree more with the misrepresentation of our food and marketing practices," McDonald's spokesman William Whitman said in a prepared statement.

"McDonald's is committed to a responsible approach to our menu, and our Happy Meal offerings," he said. "We have added more choice and variety than ever before, a fact that has been widely reported and recognized."

CSPI director Michael Jacobson acknowledged that parents bear much of the responsibility for children's eating habit -- a criticism industry defenders often levy.

"But multi-billion-dollar corporations make parents' job nearly impossible by giving away toys and bombarding kids with slick advertising," he said.

In 2006, fast food companies spent more than $520 million on advertising and toys to market children's meals, according to the Federal Trade Commission.

So having a McDonalds in your neighborhood is like having a child molester in your neighborhood.

Last edited by Red Dog; 06-23-10 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-23-10, 02:39 PM

I recently read the book Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes and it was pretty eye-opening. Part of the book highlights research which suggests that people overeat because they're getting fat; people don't get fat because they overeat.

We all know those skinny people that eat fast food every day. This all suggests that our current understanding of weight control is very embryonic.
Taubes also has a very good article here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/07/ma...g-fat-lie.html

I'd also recommend books from Michael Pollan and the documentaries Food Inc. and King Corn to anyone interested in this topic. I can understand people defending the right to eat what they want, but trying to defend much of what most people eat as anything approaching real food is just ignorant.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.