Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Glee -- "Funk" -- 06/01/10

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-10, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Re: Glee -- "Funk" -- 06/01/10

Quinn's song was amazing. "It's a Man's Man's World" is so haunting and true. I love that the song tells us that even though it's a Man's World, it's NOTHING without a Woman or Girl.

The show/quinn took the literal meaning of "Funk", that being a down mood or when a person is not in a good place and went with it.

But I would say the more popular meaning of "Funk" is more of a down and dirty in a GOOD WAY. Mercedes original, though admittedly prejudice, comment to Quinn was kind of on track. Because Quinn didn't do a "Funk" song. It was more of a "Soul", "Blues", or "R&B" type song...but still amazing.
Old 06-02-10, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the final EP for the season (featuring full versions of the songs from the finale) is going to be at target for 5.99
Old 06-02-10, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
the final EP for the season (featuring full versions of the songs from the finale) is going to be at target for 5.99
It'll be available from Amazon and Best Buy for $4.99
Old 06-03-10, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

I am in lust/love with Quinn. Her number was fantastic.
Old 06-03-10, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

I'm going to have to download "It's a Man's Man's World" from Itunes now since it's probably not going on a Glee album.
Old 06-03-10, 05:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The last couple episodes have just been OK for me. I was a little thrown by the "over the top" hatred Jessie had for the Glee club, but especially Rachael since the last time we saw him he was saying how he cared about her and didn't want to see her hurt. *confused* I liked the Jessie/Rachael pairing and was hoping they'd do more with them.

Does anyone know if the guy playing Jessie is just doing a short stint or is he going to be a regular?
Old 06-03-10, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Eve1972
Does anyone know if the guy playing Jessie is just doing a short stint or is he going to be a regular?
From Wikipedia "In August 2010 he will make his West End debut opposite Simon Russell Beale in Deathtrap, at the Noel Coward Theatre in a production directed by Matthew Warchus. He also has two movies to be released later this year: Robert Redford's The Conspirator and Jeff Lipsky's Twelve Thirty."

Well, I don't KNOW, but here's what I think: As long as Glee is hitting the charts with their music releases, it's a great place to be. But if you've got a budding movie career, it's likely you'd head off in that direction.
Old 06-03-10, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Jesse is also a senior, so this should be it for him, unless both groups move on. Which I wouldn't put past them.
Old 06-03-10, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So, I know there was some controversy about how gay actors can't convincingly portray straight characters, and this I believe had to do with Jonathan Groff in another role. Maybe this doesn't sound right, but he really doesn't come across as "hetero" to me in this role.

I had no prior knowledge of the guy, or his sexual orientation. However from when he was first introduced I thought the character he was playing was actually supposed to be gay pretending to be straight just to deceive Rachel. Am I the only one who gets that impression?
Old 06-03-10, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
I thought the character he was playing was actually supposed to be gay pretending to be straight just to deceive Rachel. Am I the only one who gets that impression?
In matters like this, I look at the script. I didn't see there was any indication for that kind of complication. However, in the previous discussion around Kurt's motives, someone suggested he "find a boyfriend" and I thought of Jesse, but that was only due to the controversy you mentioned. It'd be a nice way of turning the tables on Groff's critics. But I don't see any evidence in the script; in fact, I thought the "Like a Virgin" number generated quite a bit of heat...convincingly.
Old 06-03-10, 01:47 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The last couple episodes have just been OK for me. I was a little thrown by the "over the top" hatred Jessie had for the Glee club, but especially Rachael since the last time we saw him he was saying how he cared about her and didn't want to see her hurt. *confused*
This threw me as well. I actually wondered if I had somehow missed an episode.
Old 06-03-10, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It just seemed like he needed a reason to egg Rachel since he liked her.

I didn't notice the team treating him poorly, but remember they all did say he was not really into her.
Old 06-03-10, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by DRG
This threw me as well. I actually wondered if I had somehow missed an episode.
Didn't Mercedes and Kurt join the Cheerio's over Jesse? I thought there was quite a bit of flak when they "let" him in, as well as everyone's suspicions of his motives.
Old 06-03-10, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
So, I know there was some controversy about how gay actors can't convincingly portray straight characters, and this I believe had to do with Jonathan Groff in another role. Maybe this doesn't sound right, but he really doesn't come across as "hetero" to me in this role.

I had no prior knowledge of the guy, or his sexual orientation. However from when he was first introduced I thought the character he was playing was actually supposed to be gay pretending to be straight just to deceive Rachel. Am I the only one who gets that impression?
I didn't and my 'dar is usually spot on. Until I read this, I didn't think about him that way at all but now I'm saying "of course he is, how did I miss that?". Maybe it was the fact I don't find him attractive?

The only time I have a problem with gay guys playing straight is when they're SO obviously gay like Kurt (Chris). Or that guy on Desperate Housewives that played George (Roger Bart). Holy Crap that guy was distracting and didn't register as straight for a second.

Gay guys play straight all the time and no one bats an eye until they officially come out. Then everyone forgets how "hot and dreamy" they were before. (not that I'm saying you have that prejudice)

Oh yeah, the pregnant dance was hilarious! Didn't love her singing, as I thought it hit dead center in non-funky, white bread land, and I almost hit FF but I'm so glad I didn't.

Last edited by celmendo; 06-03-10 at 07:55 PM.
Old 06-03-10, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by celmendo

Gay guys play straight all the time and no one bats an eye until they officially come out. Then everyone forgets how "hot and dreamy" they were before. (not that I'm saying you have that prejudice)
NPH is perfect as a womanizer that its almost hard to believe he's gay
Old 06-03-10, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
NPH is perfect as a womanizer that its almost hard to believe he's gay
and in Harold and Kumar standing up in the car! LOL
Old 06-03-10, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The last couple episodes have just been OK for me. I was a little thrown by the "over the top" hatred Jessie had for the Glee club, but especially Rachael since the last time we saw him he was saying how he cared about her and didn't want to see her hurt. *confused* I liked the Jessie/Rachael pairing and was hoping they'd do more with them.

I thought that was a bit odd too. He is just all of a sudden a bad guy?
WTF?

I don't think Groff seems gay in his role at all. In fact I was surprised to read he was. I wish he was sticking around...as a good guy.
Old 06-04-10, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Thought this was an awesome ep. Nice lead up to the finale and some very good song choices. The Will/Sue storyline was great and no matter what Heather Morris does she cracks me up. She takes the smallest possible parts and just makes them shine.

It was weird to see Jessie go full-on evil towards Rachel. Sort of seems like they had to trim out some of the plot between them to get to these final episodes. Anyway, can't wait for the finale!
Old 06-05-10, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a question about the soundtracks. Not actually related to this episode, but I figure the most recent thread would be the best place to post this.

It seems that with three full soundtracks and two eps, the music from the show is selling well. My question is, do you think they're going to revisit some of their earlier episodes and release a CD of music not yet released. I realize they're available on itunes, but it still seems like they're just leaving money on the table by not releasing another compilation. Maybe when the DVDs of the full season hit?
Old 06-05-10, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Originally Posted by Mazje
I have a question about the soundtracks. Not actually related to this episode, but I figure the most recent thread would be the best place to post this.

It seems that with three full soundtracks and two eps, the music from the show is selling well. My question is, do you think they're going to revisit some of their earlier episodes and release a CD of music not yet released. I realize they're available on itunes, but it still seems like they're just leaving money on the table by not releasing another compilation. Maybe when the DVDs of the full season hit?
I think with 3 full length soundtracks, 2 EP's, a 13 episode season 1 set and a full season set coming out in September, it's bordering on overkill on Glee product, especially since the show is barely 1 year old. So, no I don't think we will be seeing another soundtrack this season.
Old 06-05-10, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

As long as they sell, they may do another one (the 3rd one was the number one seller of the week)
Old 06-06-10, 01:30 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Im really sick of Sue. HEr character has just gotten too over the top.

Except for the final number, i was disappointed with the music choices this episode
Old 06-06-10, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Really? Sue seems the same to me. Perhaps your tolerance for her character has changed?
Old 06-06-10, 08:11 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I think with 3 full length soundtracks, 2 EP's, a 13 episode season 1 set and a full season set coming out in September, it's bordering on overkill on Glee product, especially since the show is barely 1 year old. So, no I don't think we will be seeing another soundtrack this season.
So far we have purchsed all three full-length albums (the CDs, deluxe if they had it), the 2 EPs (as CDs), and will get Season 1 on Blu-ray.

My wife has filled in the blanks with her fav singles from iTunes.

The only other release I have heard of was a Christmas album.
Old 06-06-10, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

"Glee Past Masters"?

I thought the soulless automatons line was funny

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.