Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Lost -- 2 1/2 Hour Series Finale -- "The End Part 1 & 2" -- 05/23/10

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: What did you think of the Lost Series Finale?
Loved It! Fantastic Way to End the show!
34.92%
Thought it was Good
29.37%
Meh, Thought it was so-so
16.93%
Hated it. Disappointing way to end such a great show
12.70%
Screw Lost, I'm selling by DVD's/BR's and will never look back!
6.08%
Voters: 378. You may not vote on this poll

Lost -- 2 1/2 Hour Series Finale -- "The End Part 1 & 2" -- 05/23/10

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-10, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Lost -- 2 1/2 Hour Series Finale -- "The End Part 1 & 2" -- 05/23/10

Originally Posted by riley_dude
Some of the unanswered questions...

http://livefeed.hollywoodreporter.co...ons-video.html
That is seriously the greatest post in this thread.

If ANYONE can give even a semblance of a plausible answer to at least 30% of the questions raised in that clip, I'll be impressed. I know CH was trying to be more amusing than anything else in that clip, but fucking hell, that nicely sums up this show for me. Hours upon hours of macguffins and things that ultimately didn't mean a god damn thing in the grand scheme of things. Kudos to the team that created that video and once again, fuck Tweedledee 'n' Tweedledum.
Old 05-25-10, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Catch 21
Not funny, majority of those questions were answered, clearly just a "visual watcher."
Really? Am I just drunk then? In that case disregard my previous post.
Old 05-25-10, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
I normally read all the posts looking for answers, but 50+ pages is just too many to go through so please forgive me if someone already answered this. Why did we need the flash-sideways storyline this year? When Jack asked Christian in the church "What is this place?" and Christian said it was a place they created to remember and let go, was he talking about the church or the entire sideways storyline? If it was the whole sideways storyline, what happens to the people in this storyline who didn't go to the church? Island Jack never had a son, so what happens to David in the sideways storyline?
The flash-sideways were basically a complete waste of our time as viewers. Plot filler disguised as a wish-fulfillment fantasy for the characters before going to Heaven. The writers were obviously afraid of changing the format of the show into a conventional narrative, and so foisted upon us flash-sideways that really did not matter. I will be fast-forwarding through them if I ever re-watch season six.
I just watched Elizabeth Vargas on Good Morning America sum up Lost the morning after the finale aired by saying all of the characters were dead the whole time and stuck in purgatory. That's not what I got out of the finale. How about you?
Here is the deal. Lots of people have speculated that the original plan was the Island was to be Purgatory all along (which really does explain a lot of the series), but that the writers got cold feet when so many fans started guessing that outcome.

Personally, the show only makes sense if you believe the Island exists outside of our reality. Make it a character test for each person to ascend to Heaven, and calling a spade a spade, we end up with the conclusion that the Losties were always in Purgatory, except when they escaped to the real world.
Old 05-25-10, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HE Pennypacker
...and it's also the second time the video has been posted here
Old 05-25-10, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by rocketsauce
...and it's also the second time the video has been posted here
I see.

Sorry man.
Old 05-26-10, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by AJW
Kate's dress change confused me too. Actually could there have been a 3rd dress? I thought the original dress that Desmond took out of the bag to give to Kate had spaghetti straps on it? Her concert dress was strapless.
Re-watching the church scene now. Kate's outfit is so obviously different from what she was wearing in the parking lot that it almost makes me think the change was deliberate. Assuming it wasn't a continuity error, what could it mean? I know Kate said she'd meet Jack inside when he was ready to leave, but is it possible the Kate outside the church simply said that to get Jack to go inside? Maybe the Kate in the parking lot wasn't ready to let go even though she remembered her time on the island? (The same way Ben remembered his island life but chose not go into the church.) Maybe Kate didn't actually go into the church until many years later after she lived a long life but Jack wouldn't know the difference when he finds her inside.
Old 05-26-10, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Catching up on about 500 posts.

Originally Posted by Beehut
What was the significance of the shoe attached to the bamboo in the final island scenes - or was I seeing things?

I did see that Christian was wearing the tennis shoes as he walked into the light, that scene immediately followed the shoe-bamboo scene, IIRC.

Also, was Jack's questionable appendix scar earlier this season from his 815 crash injuries, as most had assumed, or from the knife Flocke plunged into his side?
Originally Posted by flagstone
The shoe was hanging from that branch after the initial 815 crash in the pilot episode. Just another way to make the final scene echo back to the opening.
Originally Posted by buldrhm
I am pretty sure they died in the crash [Well Jack at least for sure]. The series opening and closing scene being the same illustrates it best. Same spot, same Jack, same shoe, same dog, same wounds.
The shoe was revealing the passage of time. was clean and new in the pilot and dirty and old in the the finale.
the Injury to Jack in the pilot was on his left side close to his back, the injury in the finale was on his right side in the front, different.

Originally Posted by HN
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/L6QoxJx8pyM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/L6QoxJx8pyM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Why is it flipped?

Originally Posted by Goat3001
If anyone is still thinking the island was purgatory, just rewatch the last scene with Christian and Jack. He makes it wildly clear that the events on the island were real and that everyone in the alt. universe died at some point and everyone gathered there after they died, whenever it was.

It was made most obvious when Christian said "the most important part of your life was the time you spent with these people." Obviously these people wouldn't be very important to him if they all died on the plane.

You don't have to choose to believe it, it wouldn't be the first time the show through us for a loop, but Christian spells it right out there in the end.

Just like earlier in this season when Jacob said that the island was a cork that holds back hell. Most people didn't believe it right away but Lost gave us a straight up answer to what the island was. It's your choice if that's a satisfactory enough answer, but that's the answer.
No doubts for me anymore after watching the ep a second time.
The Island seems to literally be a cork since Des and Jack had to put that stone/cork right back in the whole.

Originally Posted by Rob V
I'd be interested to know how Hurley died (and I don't believe he died on the plane). Since he drank the water Jack gave him - thus becoming ageless - you'd suspect that he was tricked and killed like Jacob. This leads me to believe the struggle to protect the island is a perpetual event like The Matrix or The Dark Tower series.
Agree, perpetual there always has to be a guardian.

Originally Posted by Deftones
I felt let down and disappointed in the finale I will give it massive kudos, though. It made me contemplate my own life and mortality after it was over. Rarely does a show do that.

The reason why I was disappointed, mainly, was because it was so anti-climactic. the build up to the end point was great, but it seemed to fall flat. maybe because it wasn't really an answer to anything at all.
I wasn't dissapointed I loved it but had the same emotions afterwards, made me think about a lot.

Originally Posted by Timber
The more I think about it the more I don't think it was anti-climactic. In fact I think it was kind of powerful that the few years these people spent on the island effected them so much that their souls all wanted to end up together in the after life.
Well said. makes one wonder if this were to happen to us who would the people be that we meet up with, might not e who we would expect.

Originally Posted by Groucho
I think that's one of the reasons for the dialogue between Hurley and Ben, just to let us know that Ben didn't turn traitor down the line and become the new MIB.

very good point.

Originally Posted by Timber
So the scar we saw on Jack's abdomen in LA X wasn't the appendix surgery but where Flocke stabbed him I'm to assume?
Yes.

Originally Posted by BlackCapTen
When the camera passed the shoe on the tree in the final scene, it was weathered and worn out. In the pilot it was fancy and new (and I checked the DVR to make sure). That was just another piece of evidence time passed on the island since the crash. And then Jack died.

Generally enjoyed the finale.
correct.

Originally Posted by SuckaMC
I watched the finale again yesterday, I loved it. To me it was a very satisfying emotional ending.

But just for kicks, after I watched Jack die at the end and shut his eye, I started LA X and looked at the beginning of it... it was awesome! (that would be the order, chronologically) Jack seems confused, disoriented... it works perfectly. Its like he knows something is wrong, but as soon as Cindy talks to him, he falls into the "script" and gets sucked in.
Yes this is the moment when Jack dies on the Island, this is right when he moves to this place they all created for meeting up somewhere when they all eventually die.

I think Matthew Fox was right when he said on Jimmy Kimmel that the show was about Jack's test. His time on the island was like a second chance for him to prove something, fix something, etc., so he could let go and move on to whatever comes after death. It's clear to me now that Jack died when Oceanic 815 broke up, and when we see his eye open in the first episode he's not just waking up from unconsciousness, he's getting his life back so he can do whatever he needs to do and then move on to the afterlife. By the show's end, he had played his part in the island's history (the Incident) and in getting his friends off the island for good; he could finally let go and move on. I think his death did mean something.
I think he died when he died on the island, but the other point of your idea I think makes a lot of sense.
Old 05-26-10, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re-watching the church scene now. Kate's outfit is so obviously different from what she was wearing in the parking lot that it almost makes me think the change was deliberate. Assuming it wasn't a continuity error, what could it mean? I know Kate said she'd meet Jack inside when he was ready to leave, but is it possible the Kate outside the church simply said that to get Jack to go inside? Maybe the Kate in the parking lot wasn't ready to let go even though she remembered her time on the island? (The same way Ben remembered his island life but chose not go into the church.) Maybe Kate didn't actually go into the church until many years later after she lived a long life but Jack wouldn't know the difference when he finds her inside.
I think it may have been the idea.
Old 05-26-10, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by whotony
I think it may have been the idea.
You seem like you are up for the challenge.

Why not address the "unanswered" questions from the College Humor video posted on the previous page?

I'd like to hear your input.
Old 05-26-10, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Catch 21
Not funny, majority of those questions were answered, clearly just a "visual watcher."
Actually, please provide a few words explaining the majority of the answers now. Thanks.
Old 05-26-10, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

As far as how Hurley ended up at the church if he was made ageless, Jack didn't bless the water before he had Hurley drink it. Assuming this wasn't a continuity error but deliberate, this means Hurley only drank dirty puddle water--not Holy Water. I know Jack said, "Now you're the same as me," but Hurley wasn't exaclty thrilled to get the job, so maybe Jack said it simply to boost Hurley's confidence. Hurley still could have served as island protector and died defending it or died of old age.
Old 05-26-10, 12:48 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

Almost all of them were wearing different clothes
Old 05-26-10, 12:49 AM

Sadly, the more time passed the more I'm fed up with the ending.

What I don't get...no matter how you fuck up, you still end up in buddy-heaven...except if you're Micheal of course. You can be a mercenary and still turn up, maybe get shot a few times, who knows, I'm pretty sure you will get reset somehow.
So, basically (and if you're not Micheal), no matter what you do, you end up there to live happily ever after in Heaven...and there is no opposite to that? The whole series they have black and white themes and now it's white only? It's either buddy heaven or whisper on the island?

But why did Desmond tell Jack that it doesn't matter what they do, before he entered the cave?
Sigh....I guess it's time to let go too....Farewell Lost, I enjoyed you almost 6 years but you turned out to be a foul apple in the end

Last edited by Quapil; 05-26-10 at 12:51 AM.
Old 05-26-10, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You seem like you are up for the challenge.

Why not address the "unanswered" questions from the College Humor video posted on the previous page?

I'd like to hear your input.
Maybe tomorrow, quick answer, they where just different adventures on the way to the final place and as in life sometimes we don't get all the answers to all of our questions, like when someone answers "why not" to the question "why me?".
Old 05-26-10, 01:02 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Quapil
But why did Desmond tell Jack that it doesn't matter what they do, before he entered the cave?
Because Desmond already knew where they were all going to end up when they died and whatever Jack did wasn't going to change that.
Old 05-26-10, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by MrX
Because Desmond already knew where they were all going to end up when they died and whatever Jack did wasn't going to change that.
So it wasn't a test after all. No matter what Jack would have done, he would have gone there.....that's the part it ruins everything for me
Old 05-26-10, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If ANYONE can give even a semblance of a plausible answer to at least 30% of the questions raised in that clip, I'll be impressed. I know CH was trying to be more amusing than anything else in that clip, but fucking hell, that nicely sums up this show for me. Hours upon hours of macguffins and things that ultimately didn't mean a god damn thing in the grand scheme of things. Kudos to the team that created that video and once again, fuck Tweedledee 'n' Tweedledum.
Well said!
Old 05-26-10, 02:18 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Quapil
Island Desmond didn't have the full knowledge of the "purgatory" world. He thought it was a world where you could start over and be with the people you loved. From my viewpoint, he had no idea that what he saw was the afterlife, he just assumed there was an alternate world where the plane didn't crash.

That's why when Jack went into the cave, Desmond said that Jack was right all along.
Old 05-26-10, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I rewatched the episodes from Ab Aeterno to The End today. Desmond said it didn't matter because he thought he found a place where they all got what they wanted. He didn't realise they were all dead in that place. That's why later complained that he thought pulling the cork would send him home. Basically, Island Desmond didn't know shit as he misinterpreted the Sideways Universe. Sideways Desmond was the only one who figured it out. That was also why Island Jack told Island Desmond that there were no shortcuts. At the time he didn't know how right he was.

Remember how the MiB would always bring out the worst in people? He'd've done that one a global scale if he ever got out of the Island. Think Owlman's state of mind in Crisis On Two Earths and add the ability to corrupt individuals. Jack did save the world by killing Flocke and keeping the energies of life and death in balance by putting back the cork. He didn't heal because he was engulfed by the light in the pool. It didn't kill him outright but it overloaded him, so to speak. Basically, too much of a good thing.

The MiB was "special" he had an innate ability to manipulate the energies of the Island. That's why the Fake Mother originally looked to him as a replacement. The problem is he truly didn't understand how he could do the things he did or why exactly. He was essentially an über version of Walt, Miles, Hugo, and Desmond combined. That's why his soul tore from his body rather his outright dying when Jacob threw him in the pool. So a Smoke Monster isn't a natural occurrence but a freak accident.

As for the Sideways Universe, I believe it's one of two steps before the light. I believe Michael and the other Whisper People are those that simply cannot let go because they're punishing themselves for what they did/didn't do. They're restless spirits that cannot find peace. The Sideways spirits are those that can let go but for whatever reason (subconsciously) choose not to. It seems they are unfulfilled in some way. Like Claire feeling she can't be a mother to Aaron, Locke feeling unworthy of being loved, Linus wanting to have been there for Alex no matter the cost to himself, etc. They still have issues but they're not as far gone as the likes of Michael.

As for their creating that Sideways Universe, I believe they all did collectively but not consciously. So they were ina waking dream? How could they do that? Because they all possessed a portion of the Light (some more than others), just as the Fake Mother explained to Jacob and the MiB. Together they all subconsciously conspired to create a world where they could seek one another out. And since time has no place there, they could be there for figurative centuries but still eventually find one another.

When Whidmore put Desmond in the machine, he propelled him to an instance when he became aware in the Sideways Universe. However, Island Desmond misinterpreted what he experienced. Once Sideways Desmond set everything into motion, he accelerated the Losties process of recollection and helped them let go.

So had Jacob let the Smoke Monster off the Island, he would have eventually led mankind into chaos given his disdain for them. It was his nature because of how fractured and corrupt he'd become. The only way to let the MiB out is to pull the Cork. Doing that snuffs out the Light. Without the Light there is no Real World or Sideways Universe given both exist because of said Light. So we're screwed either way.

Anyhoo, that's how I interpreted things.
Old 05-26-10, 03:22 AM

Ok, Desmond makes some sense, but I still can't buy that some can't let go in the sideways universe and some can't let go off the island. In the end it would have made way more sense if it all didn't happen in reality but was just some kind of test to sort out the good and the bad....but that's just me.

What makes me more and more sad is, that after six years, all what's left of lost is when they died and how many kind of sideway universes you can get stuck if you don't let go.........questions, that never bugged anyone before the finaly and questions I don't want to think about at all.....but it's a good distraction to avoid the real questions.
Old 05-26-10, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Old 05-26-10, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
And the people who thought they were watching a show about compelling characters should have watched the Wire or Six Feet Under.
Agreed 110%. LOL @ LOST being a character driven show.
Old 05-26-10, 05:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It appears HE Pennypacker is a long, long way from cooling his jets. Will check back around post #2400.
Old 05-26-10, 05:22 AM

I just spent a few hours going over all the posts here!

My thoughts on the finale:

I wasn't too pleased with the spiritual ending when I first watched it, but after reading the posts here I have come to like it a little more.

Overall, I would rate the finale an 8/10 or so, with "The Constant" being a 10/10 and "Across the Sea" being around a 3/10.

I agree with the - Sideways = "purgatory," Island = real - interpretation.

I believe that Sideways Aaron is not real, just like Jack's son, David - they were both tools used for the characters to work out their unresolved issues. The real Aaron would then have his own Sideways "purgatory" of his happiest stage of life, probably as an adult.

I do have to say that the logic of the Sideways universe really makes no sense to me at all. If David is not real, who else is not real? Is Pierre Chang real? Christian Shephard? Locke's girlfriend Helen?
Old 05-26-10, 06:33 AM
ATX

does it really make sense to analyze and disect the sideways world?

i mean desmond conciousness time travels and after the finale we realize that not only could he time travel but apparently he can move freely between aliveworld and the afterlife

so at some point you gotta just accept these plots and move around

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.