Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Lost -- 2 1/2 Hour Series Finale -- "The End Part 1 & 2" -- 05/23/10

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: What did you think of the Lost Series Finale?
Loved It! Fantastic Way to End the show!
34.92%
Thought it was Good
29.37%
Meh, Thought it was so-so
16.93%
Hated it. Disappointing way to end such a great show
12.70%
Screw Lost, I'm selling by DVD's/BR's and will never look back!
6.08%
Voters: 378. You may not vote on this poll

Lost -- 2 1/2 Hour Series Finale -- "The End Part 1 & 2" -- 05/23/10

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-10, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Lost -- 2 1/2 Hour Series Finale -- "The End Part 1 & 2" -- 05/23/10

Man, I'm going to be so pissed if when I die I'm not allowed to move on to the afterlife unless I go gallivanting around Giant Magic Dookie Island.

Back in season three, I thought Lost was losing the characters and piling on to much mystery/hogwash and that just increased. Eh, I stuck with it (On Demand and Netflix helped). Had they kept the fantasy to a minimum (and key mysteries ambiguous) and truly made it about the characters, it would have been stellar. But, instead they piled things on, tried to mix it up with the flashforwards and sideways and time traveling back (yet all were squarely up the writers asses), and they solved character probs by bloating the cast, killing people off or shoving them aside just to have them illogically reappear so much it made me numb.

The ending just kinda made me shrug. But, I've been shrugging at Lost for awhile now. So I guess it was fitting.

Last edited by Slumbering Fist; 05-24-10 at 04:06 PM.
Old 05-24-10, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Didn't Richard say in Season 5 that he watched all the Losties die back in the 70s? Did we ever figure out that mystery?
ya that's one thing that bothered me too, maybe because they disappeared back into current time he thought they had died in the explosion
Old 05-24-10, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by DeadLamb
then ending ep of a series does not take away from the enjoyment of watching the past eps if one likes the show. At worst one might feel let down but it's not like the hours of fun you had watching over the years all of sudden did not happen being the last ep was not to one's liking..

Then again I was never really into the super details of tracking down the seating chart of the plane or trying to figure out the logo on a shark fin etc. Sure, I enjoyed reading all the posts here over the years covering that stuff but it does not bother me that they did not wrap that stuff up story line wise..

but I can understand why some might feel the writers really had no grand plan and where just throwing darts at some post-it notes with stuff like "Polar bear" and "Big wheel they turn" etc.. After all the bulk of the marketing for this show WAS all about the tiny details. Big hidden messages and web sites to get more info etc. So in a way they kept fostering that angle of the show, then never really delivered on it at all.

fine for those of us who never really got into that part of Lost, sort of lame in a way for those that did.. I guess it depends how one watched the show.

So without them explaining the mystery of the island it becomes about the relationships of the characters. Basically a glorified night time soap opera like Dallas. Yeah...if someone watched it for that I could see not minding all seasons but the last not really mattering but for myself I would have felt pretty screwed putting that amount of time into the show and just the last season mattering.

Glad this happened actually since I always suspected JJ was just smoke and mirroes and not able to do anything truly grand like The Prisoner or DS9 so now I'll know to blackball whatever he's involved with from now on.
Old 05-24-10, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Didn't Richard say in Season 5 that he watched all the Losties die back in the 70s? Did we ever figure out that mystery?
I would assume it's cause the bomb went off in the 70s, and all the Losties were right by it. And then they disappeared (back to the present time). So to everyone else on the island in the 70s, they died.
Old 05-24-10, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mdc3000
It was pretty huge news when it was announced - that the producers and ABC had set an end date and were working towards that to provide closure etc. It was in just about every newspaper/magazine/tv news show that I can think of, so it was widely known for years that season 6 would be the end.
Originally Posted by Matto1020
But if you read at all, be it online articles, Entertainment Weekly, RedEye, whatever, there was LOTS of talk about Lost setting its end date.
I should have clarified that I did have a recollection of them announcing that there was a definitive ending, I just didn't remember at what point in the series it was announced. And I should also say that I didn't start watching the show on a regular basis until later in the run so maybe when the news came down I wasn't that committed to the show to have it stick in my mind. Sorry for asking a legitimate question.
Old 05-24-10, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by wz42
Glad this happened actually since I always suspected JJ was just smoke and mirroes and not able to do anything truly grand like The Prisoner or DS9 so now I'll know to blackball whatever he's involved with from now on.
JJ hasn't had jack shit to do wit LOST in years. And pretty much everything else he's done has been awesome (Star Trek, Mission Impossible III, Fringe). So not sure what you are saying here.
Old 05-24-10, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Okay, so the fact that Tweedledee 'n' Tweedledum knew they'd have "only" three more seasons to finish this story back in 2006 makes this situation even more pathetic. They had what amounts to all the time in the world to give the people demanding answers something and they failed at even that. Brilliant. What's worse? They kept tacking on little mysteries and asking more questions on top of the ones that they already had yet to answer in a satisfying way. Many people have already said it, on an emotional level the finale was satisfying as it gave the characters happy endings, redemption, etc. But then there's all that other stuff, stuff that'll probably amount to be the largest macguffins in television history. But hey! Screw the people irked by this conclusion, as it's best to not get caught up in the "details" we were blatantly being led to believe were important to the ultimate direction of the show.
Old 05-24-10, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by wz42
basically a glorified night time soap opera like dallas.
it was all a dream!?!?!?
Old 05-24-10, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by DeadLamb
then ending ep of a series does not take away from the enjoyment of watching the past eps if one likes the show. At worst one might feel let down but it's not like the hours of fun you had watching over the years all of sudden did not happen being the last ep was not to one's liking..

Then again I was never really into the super details of tracking down the seating chart of the plane or trying to figure out the logo on a shark fin etc. Sure, I enjoyed reading all the posts here over the years covering that stuff but it does not bother me that they did not wrap that stuff up story line wise..

but I can understand why some might feel the writers really had no grand plan and where just throwing darts at some post-it notes with stuff like "Polar bear" and "Big wheel they turn" etc.. After all the bulk of the marketing for this show WAS all about the tiny details. Big hidden messages and web sites to get more info etc. So in a way they kept fostering that angle of the show, then never really delivered on it at all.

fine for those of us who never really got into that part of Lost, sort of lame in a way for those that did.. I guess it depends how one watched the show.

So without them explaining the mystery of the island it becomes about the relationships of the characters. Basically a glorified night time soap opera like Dallas. Yeah...if someone watched it for that I could see not minding all seasons but the last not really mattering but for myself I would have felt pretty screwed putting that amount of time into the show and just the last season mattering.

Old 05-24-10, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Draven
All of the weird stuff that happened on the island happened and will never be explained.

In this season's alt timeline, everything seemed normal, but by this episode, the amount of WTF that was happening made it clear it wasn't real. People can't recover from spinal surgery in minutes. People don't see spiritual flashbacks from their time together in another reality. People don't learn English in a heartbeat. The "realness" of the alt timeline unraveled during this episode, culminating in the reunion at the church.

Christian told Jack that he had died. He told him that others died before, others died after, but they created this place to find each other again. I'm going to assume everyone had eventually died at this point (see Hurley and Ben's conversation indicating their time on the island as #1 and #2 was over). Christian SAID these things. So interpreting them as something else is contrary to what the writers, for once on this show, attempted to spell out for you.

This is so simple:

1) ALT TIMELINE - Purgatory. Exists outside of time. Jack died when we saw him die. So did Sun, Jin, Sayid, Locke, Boone, Shannon, etc. The others died at other times. We watched them exist in purgatory this season and "come together" during the finale. Again, not the real world, exists outside of time.

2) ISLAND TIMELINE - Reality. They crashed, some died, some got off, some went back, died, others got off again. Everything we saw happen on the island (including the retarded time travel) happened.

THAT'S IT. It was so clear that talking about interpretations means you simple didn't get EXACTLY WHAT THEY SAID IN THE EPISODE.

This is 100% correct. There is no other way to interpret this portion of the story. This is spoon fed to us straight from the writers pens through Christian's mouth. As far as I am concerned, the only thing open for debate in the alt-timeline was whether the entire thing was "purgatory" or just the church at the end. Pretty obvious (at least to me) that the entire alt-timeline was "purgatory". They created this place to find each other (again from the writer's pens). The church was the end...the place to move on after they all remembered.

Originally Posted by superfro
the argument will probably be made by many, including the people behind the show, that it's always been about the path of the characters that lead to the end of the show. The other mysteries didn't matter and were superficial. It was the journey that was important and thus what needed clarification at the end.

YES !!!!

Originally Posted by Qrusher14242
This..I can't believe the show ended this way. After all the mysteries left unsolved, they leave us with this. I loved seasons 4 & 5 and thought it was gonna end with a bang in season 6, but this whole season has been just terrible. I thought the Finale was going to redeem it, but all it was was people standing around remembering shit for an hour. I guess we'll never find out who built the statue
Originally Posted by jtrolltide
I think for me my disappointment comes down to what the show was for me. For the entire run of the show it was always about the mystery of island and the many unbelievable things that happened on the island, not about the characters. I ended up growing to love (most of) the characters, but that never was why I tuned in every week.
If this has anyone that upset, you are missing the entire point of the show. See above. The show was about the characters and their journey. All of the "mysteries", while interesting and kept people engaged, were superfluous.

Originally Posted by dvdaddict32
On the other hand, season 6 was a huge letdown. I went into this season expecting an epic battle between good and evil, and finally answers! We received neither. Forget the minor questions. The finale ignored freaking seasons 2 - 5. I thougth we would at least get resolutions on why Desmond was so important and the time travel thing. Episodes like The Constant are now pointless. Even when I think of the afterlife world, it makes no sense. Why was Desmond trying to kill Locke? It's like a sci fi movie that stops in the middle and then says "make up your own ending". Now I think the writers were just making up stuff that sounded cool and mysterious with no real plot lines.
I seriously don't understand this. AT ALL. They answered tons of questions in the final season. Dsmond was important because he was "special", immune to the effects of the island's electromagnetism and to some degree time travel. I mean they aren't going to explain to you the physics of HOW time travel works. Desmond was never trying to kill Locke. He was trying to wake him...help him remember...set into motion a series of events to help him remember.

Originally Posted by Flave
The show had spent five years building up this great mythology around the island with expectations of mind-blowing revelations. That is the baggage that all of us brought into the final season; that they actually knew what they were doing and the final reveal would be HUGE. But, in retrospect, it became evident in Season 6 that Darlton never really had a clue as to what they were doing or where they were going. They were just throwing stuff at us hoping and praying to keep our interest and their ratings up. There was no wizard behind the curtain folks -- just a couple of guys who had given birth to this dragon they had no clue how to slay. So they decided fuck the mythology, we'll just deal with the characters. And, quite frankly, on that level I think they actually did a pretty good job.
Pretty much agree. I am not going to act like I wouldn't have liked some answers to some of the mysteries left dangling. But as far as a way to wrap up a character driven story, I thought last night's episode was fantastic.

Originally Posted by Goat3001
It was made most obvious when Christian said "the most important part of your life was the time you spent with these people." Obviously these people wouldn't be very important to him if they all died on the plane.
Correct. Unless people are assuming that the important time was at the airport terminal check in. Or in the airport gift shop. Maybe they all grabbed a burger at the airport McDonald's. It is obvious that these people were important because of all they went through together on the island.
Old 05-24-10, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by HE Pennypacker
Okay, so the fact that Tweedledee 'n' Tweedledum knew they'd have "only" three more seasons to finish this story back in 2006 makes this situation even more pathetic. They had what amounts to all the time in the world to give the people demanding answers something and they failed at even that. Brilliant. What's worse? They kept tacking on little mysteries and asking more questions on top of the ones that they already had yet to answer in a satisfying way. Many people have already said it, on an emotional level the finale was satisfying as it gave the characters happy endings, redemption, etc. But then there's all that other stuff, stuff that'll probably amount to be the largest macguffins in television history. But hey! Screw the people irked by this conclusion, as it's best to not get caught up in the "details" we were blatantly being led to believe were important to the ultimate direction of the show.
I don't need to repeat how I feel about this show as it stands, because people have said it so eloquently before me. The CHUD review was remarkably on the ball, and it expressed my main problems with the show these last few seasons. I'll just say that after watching this finale, I have no intention of going back and rewatching the series from the first episode. I'm glad many of you enjoyed it. I just feel insulted.
Old 05-24-10, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by HE Pennypacker
What gets me is knowing they had 3 seasons to wrap it up, but then still putting in a lot of filler episodes. If I had setup as much as them, even if I was going to leave some things unexplained, I wouldn't waste episodes that didn't really progress the plot along and there were plenty of episodes. I can see how some people liked it, it was well shot and the people remembering was very emotional but it just fell way short of the mark for me and fell into cliche territory.

As for the nighttime soap opera comment, Twin Peaks (one of my favorite shows of all time) was in many ways a night time soap opera. Granted one with a lot of creepy super natural and dark stuff thrown in (except for a couple episodes in Season 2 that were REALLY teen soap opera material with
Spoiler:
the whole james and donna bullshit
) so it can work if done properly. I just think Lost tried too hard to be the end all be all and lost focus. As I said in another thread, many of the UK shows and some of the cable shows run shorter seasons and not surprisingly I find the story telling to be done in a tighter and ultimately superior way which I'm sure is not a coincidence.

I'd love to see the count between total episodes of Lost and those that most people agree actually moved the story along. Having seen the finale I'm sure that count is even lower since they chose to either ignore so many plot elements that had been introduced earlier.

Like I said, I can see why some would like it and that's fine. But both sides need to realize just because it did work/didn't work for you doesn't mean that was the case for everyone.

Last edited by Cardiff Giant11; 05-24-10 at 04:33 PM.
Old 05-24-10, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Matto1020
With everyone griping about them not fleshing out Dharma (which I think they very much did), or the island in general, or Jacob, etc... I think back to that scene in Season 5 where Ben confronts Jacob and says, "What about me?"

What about Dharma?
What about Jacob?
What about Walt?
What about the light?

Everyone and everything had a purpose on this show, but no one or thing was so important that it needed to be front and center.

Again, I love that they didn't do the X-Files checklist of answering questions. Now when you rewatch the show (if you rewatch), you can look at all these mysteries in a new light, yet still ponder their meaning. It really was brilliant.
Agreed. I look back to an episode in season one, where Locke is completely and blindly devoted to island because he had faith. It didn't matter to him what the island was all about, all that mattered was that it was a magical place.

The story of LOST in it's essence is Jacks journey from a man of science to a man of faith. That's what we saw. The story started with Jack not believing the island was special and just wanting to get off, it ended with him giving his life to protect the island he knew so little about. All the events of the island (Dharma, Time Travel) were all events that led Jack futher down the rabbit hole. The alternate reality was a summation of that. In the alt reality he had to give into his faith and realize that he was dead.

I can appreciate the ending for that. I like that the finale was character driven. Sorry to all those that didn't enjoy it. I can see being miffed by all the unanswered questions (although I do think they answered all the big questions, they just gave hollow answers). Maybe down the line you'll rewatch it with a different perspective and enjoy the finale. If you don't then I'm sorry the ride ended so poorly for you.

Last edited by Goat3001; 05-24-10 at 04:45 PM.
Old 05-24-10, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Been watching every year for the last 6 years, and overall, I enjoyed the finale.

I think with all the emotional flashbacks in the finale, it would have been more complete for me if Desmond and Penny were seen together and had their own flashback. Even assuming Penny died in the future, she should still exist in the "purgatory" timeline because she was important for Desmond. It would have been the perfect touch to have them meet up together eventually. With all the relationships- Jack and Kate, Sawyer and Juliet, Hurley and Libby, Charlie and Claire, Jin and Sun, Sayid and Shannon.... the moments I enjoyed watching the most were with Desmond and Penny.

So why no Penny?
Old 05-24-10, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Penny was at the church. But you're right, a scene where desmond got penny to remember would have been great.
Old 05-24-10, 04:42 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

knowing how pesky children can be, with, you know, aging and all... if "they" really had a big master plan for this show, they should have filmed the series finale scenes with young Walt early on in the show, kept them in a vault, all hush hush, then blown everyones fucking minds away with the final episode 5-6 years later.

with that said, I'm glad I bailed back in S2.
Old 05-24-10, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Goat3001
Maybe down the line you'll rewatch it with a different perspective and enjoy the finale.
I'm hoping this is the case with me. Someone else mentioned revisiting the show years down the road after never thinking about it again after today. I feel this may be the best approach for me as well. Let's face it, as much as I've been spewing vitriol in this thread, Lost had some damn awesome episodes, not to mention the fun theorizing and speculating. I'm just having a hard time imagining not being frustrated beyond belief while sitting through hours and hours of the hatch, Ben's drama in the third season, and the Dharma stuff in the fifth. I was wondering these things after the airing of ATS itself, because that episode pretty much shat on where I was hoping this finale was going.
Old 05-24-10, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Autotelik
Been watching every year for the last 6 years, and overall, I enjoyed the finale.

I think with all the emotional flashbacks in the finale, it would have been more complete for me if Desmond and Penny were seen together and had their own flashback. Even assuming Penny died in the future, she should still exist in the "purgatory" timeline because she was important for Desmond. It would have been the perfect touch to have them meet up together eventually. With all the relationships- Jack and Kate, Sawyer and Juliet, Hurley and Libby, Charlie and Claire, Jin and Sun, Sayid and Shannon.... the moments I enjoyed watching the most were with Desmond and Penny.

So why no Penny?
Penny and Desmond didn't have the "best moments of their lives" on the island. The island is the key. That enigmatic island.
Old 05-24-10, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
knowing how pesky children can be, with, you know, aging and all... if "they" really had a big master plan for this show, they should have filmed the series finale scenes with young Walt early on in the show, kept them in a vault, all hush hush, then blown everyones fucking minds away with the final episode 5-6 years later.

with that said, I'm glad I bailed back in S2.
But they did have a master plan for this show from the beginning, don't you see?!!??! Adam and Eve and the game of Senet unequivocally proves it! Yep.
Old 05-24-10, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So if I may ask without being torn to shreds...

Those of you who are really pouring on the vitriol towards the showrunners, I'm trying to understand your furious anger towards them. They were behind it from the beginning. They created everything you loved about the show. Is it just disappointment that it didn't go where you wanted it to? That they came up with so many interesting stories that the resolutions to those stories didn't live up to the build up?

I'm just trying to understand how some of you can wish death upon the same people who made all the specific things you care about so profoundly.
Old 05-24-10, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by chuckd21
So if I may ask without being torn to shreds...

Those of you who are really pouring on the vitriol towards the showrunners, I'm trying to understand your furious anger towards them. They were behind it from the beginning. They created everything you loved about the show. Is it just disappointment that it didn't go where you wanted it to? That they came up with so many interesting stories that the resolutions to those stories didn't live up to the build up?

I'm just trying to understand how some of you can wish death upon the same people who made all the specific things you care about so profoundly.
This is EXACTLY what I don't get. I have never had any issue with someone not liking the ending in fact I think it brings on a new perspective I enjoy reading. I mean there has been some serious shit said about them. I don't understand how you can pretend to know how and why they did things when you aren't them.

Last edited by rocketsauce; 05-24-10 at 05:05 PM.
Old 05-24-10, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
So Richard was not in the church..

So I'm going to have to believe that he is still immortal and did not die - because the dude lived for hundreds of years on the island - and if the island played a role in anyone's life it was definitely Richard..and it was the Losties that got him out of there... you would think he would have some connection to them, and therefore would be in the church when he died

So is Richard now like a modern day vampire living in America?

He should get a job as a Cop and collect a sweet ass pension for the rest of eternity after working for 20 years
Richardo eventually died but his time on the island wasn't as significant to him as it was to the others. I'm assuming he's in "heaven" or where ever with his wife. Sort of like how the Widmore's save for Penny were not there. Miles perhaps reunited with his parents.
Old 05-24-10, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This show is/was bullshit. That's all I have to say on the matter... for now.
Old 05-24-10, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jiggawhat
This show is/was bullshit. That's all I have to say on the matter... for now.
Old 05-24-10, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

and again, further proof the island was an "in between place" where good and evil fought over souls and people figured out which way they were ultimately going in the afterlife. Eko didn't make it to heaven....too bad he refused to show up, as how they dealt with him would have helped immensely.

Eko (a warlord who pretended to be a priest in order to smuggle drugs) was the fifth character to die on Lost, after facing the Smoke Monster for a second time and getting attacked, and then telling Locke, "I saw the devil."

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.