Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Lost -- 2 1/2 Hour Series Finale -- "The End Part 1 & 2" -- 05/23/10

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: What did you think of the Lost Series Finale?
Loved It! Fantastic Way to End the show!
34.92%
Thought it was Good
29.37%
Meh, Thought it was so-so
16.93%
Hated it. Disappointing way to end such a great show
12.70%
Screw Lost, I'm selling by DVD's/BR's and will never look back!
6.08%
Voters: 378. You may not vote on this poll

Lost -- 2 1/2 Hour Series Finale -- "The End Part 1 & 2" -- 05/23/10

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-10, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Lost -- 2 1/2 Hour Series Finale -- "The End Part 1 & 2" -- 05/23/10

Also got the clicking. It drove me crazy. Eventually I learned to ignore it. At least it wasn't a giant red V countdown.
Old 05-24-10, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm glad I wasn't the only one having those cable issues.
Old 05-24-10, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I can't believe people are actually satisfied with this finale. I mean, it's about what I expected, but my expectations were low. I anticipated that the alt-timeline and the island timeline would be resolved, and we'd get some teary character resolution, and that's about all we got, although it was all very non-sensical.

As another poster mentioned hundreds of posts ago, this would be a fine ending to a series that wasn't about 90% of the things Lost was about. I mean, it really doesn't bother people that after six seasons, we still don't even know what the hell the island was, or even where it existed?

I get that the writers apparently decided to tell this story entirely from the main characters' perspectives, so they probably felt no need to explain the mysteries. But then, what was the point of all the mystery in the first place? What was the point, even, of the final season's entire story arc? Apparently, the stuff about Jacob and his brother was pointless! Why did they bother adding on yet another layer of mystery, when they already had so many other threads they could have explained or fleshed out during this season?

There were countless conspiratorial plot devices throughout the show's run, and it seems like all of it amounted to nothing more than misdirection. It's like they intrigued you with all these stories, and then at the very end, the writers went, 'PSYCHE! The show's just about the characters finding meaning in their lives... or something. So just forget about all that other stuff that happened to them. It was just stuff that happened to them, nothing more.' So hopelessly obvious, and unsatisfyingly vague. And all of the storylines that got us tuning in week after week amount to little more than, 'weird shit that happened.'

I mean, two seasons ago it was understood that the plane crashed because Desmond, who stumbled onto the island and was coopted into the Dharma Initiative, didn't press the button. But over the last few seasons, they changed course and focused on Jacob, and how he brought all of the Losties to the island. I still don't understand how one can reconcile these two explanations. I guess we're supposed to assume it was all part of Jacob's long con, set in motion decades ago. But again, why? What and where is the island? And how does any of it relate to the show's ultimate resolution other than, again, simply being weird shit that happened?

I'll still have fond memories of this show, and it was a great experience watching it. Few shows are so weird and imaginative. But to me, it will always feel very very incomplete.
Old 05-24-10, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Fast ratings PI Feedback Fast Overnight Ratings
Lost: The End (ABC)
9:00 p.m.: 8.7/13 (#1)
9:30 p.m.: 8.7/13 (#1)
10:00 p.m.: 8.7/13 (#1)
10:30 p.m.: 8.7/14 (#1)

Early metered market household ratings of the primetime portion (9-11pm Eastern) of the Lost finale suggest that the average viewership for that portion of the show is likely to be in the range of 11.5 – 13.0 million viewers

I thought the ending was a cop-out. Here is Matthew Fox on SNL saying it's not purgatory
Old 05-24-10, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
1. The only thing the bomb did was send them back to 2007. What "worked" was unplugging the vending machine to get the Apollo bar.

2. no clue

3. Things still continued to go on on the island after our survivors left and Jack died. Like everything in the "sideways" they were showing use scenes after all of them died including the island.

4. no clue but might have something to do with the radiation from the bomb.

5. Widmore broke the rules when he had his people kill Alex. I don't think the "rules" with them 2 were as hard and in stone and Jacob/MIB.
1. AH. The Apollo bar. Got it. Thanks (and Groucho).

5. Hmm. I thought they just couldn't kill each other. I don't remember family being off limits. And Linus never got his revenge anyways.
Old 05-24-10, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Unlike many here, I actually really enjoyed the finale. There was no way that they were going to answer everything so I figure, why get upset about it? It's been my experience that no show can ever live up and end the way it should based on the first couple of seasons. There's too many variables involved. I had fun for the entire 6 years of the show and thought the finale was a fitting ending. The symmetrical way it ended with Jack's eye closing and the plane leaving instead of crashing, we all should've probably figured out long ago.

As for the plane overhead that some have asked about, I think it was the Ajira flight and Jack sees that his friends have finally left the island. For those who are wondering about the timing of things, I just chalk that up to errors.

It will be interesting to go back after some cooling off and rewatch the series from the beginning to see if anything comes across as different. Also, the one thing that I still am unsure of is the island at the bottom of the ocean at the beginning of S6. Everything else I can get (thanks for the reassurance Draven), but that one confuses me a bit.

Last edited by kevin75; 05-24-10 at 10:03 AM.
Old 05-24-10, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MrX
Where'd you read this?

There was a statement that they couldn't reach a deal, but he was pretty vocal about wanting to come back in the past.

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2009/...-his-comeback/
The article I was talking about in my op was something I read on my phone, not sure which site it was from since it was yesterday morning. This morning I read an article on entertainment weekly saying he was asked to join the cast for one scene but he refused because they wouldn't give him 5 times the amount of money they were paying.
Old 05-24-10, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 135 Posts

From the linked CHUD article, forget about all the other stuff - they needed to and didn't explain probably the biggest thing IMO:

By the end there was only one mystery I cared about - why is the Island special? Why did the heart of the Island need to be protected? What would be the bad thing that would happen in the Man in Black got off the Island, or destroyed it?

But that mystery was never answered either. The entire sixth season turned out to be essentially a waste of time - the only thing that mattered was the alt-timeline, which we learned wasn't really an alt-timeline but actually purgatory. Just typing that infuriates me.
This is why I don't need to argue whether it was "purgatory", because either way, the finale sucked.
Old 05-24-10, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,368 Likes on 930 Posts

Originally Posted by chowderhead
Fast ratings PI Feedback Fast Overnight Ratings
Lost: The End (ABC)
9:00 p.m.: 8.7/13 (#1)
9:30 p.m.: 8.7/13 (#1)
10:00 p.m.: 8.7/13 (#1)
10:30 p.m.: 8.7/14 (#1)

Early metered market household ratings of the primetime portion (9-11pm Eastern) of the Lost finale suggest that the average viewership for that portion of the show is likely to be in the range of 11.5 – 13.0 million viewers

I thought the ending was a cop-out. Here is Matthew Fox on SNL saying it's not purgatory
wow. those are horrible ratings for something that was hyped as much as it was.
Old 05-24-10, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by brizz
i don't know what you read, but it's way off base. he has talked openly about wanting to return to the show for over a year now...he loved the role and was really hoping to get in on the last season action. All he's said in reference to the finale was that they just couldn't "come together" on it - whether that's financially or story arc issues, we don't know....but don't cast him as the asshole.
Lol, you can take it out on me but he IS the asshole in this situation. The producers wanted his character to have a 4 year story arc and he quit the show after the first season. As for coming back, they asked him and he refused unless they paid him 5 times more than they were paying for one, yes one, scene.
Old 05-24-10, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I'm glad I didn't spend the last six years obsessing over every detail. Look, that blade of grass is bent. WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?? I took the show at face value and am fine with the finale.
Old 05-24-10, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey
Same here, though it was intermittent. I'm a Comcast subscriber, btw.
Plus there was an annoying clicking sounding coming out of the rear channels.
A friend who has ATT Uverse reported the same problem during the finale.
I had a constant clicking on my Charter cable feed for the entire episode, only noticed when there was background music playing. The dialog was jacked at times, as well.

I feel somewhat of a Vanilla Sky vibe, where after all the 815 survivors eventually died, on island or off, they reset to the alt timeline mid-flight on 815 again, a common point in all of their lives, believing they were still living. They all seemed to be better people in the alt timeline, which they would've preferred. Jack was a father, Sawyer and Miles officers instead of con artists, Kate insisted she was innocent, and may have been telling the truth, etc. They all have to be "awakened" to the truth that the alt timeline is fabricated, etc. Obviously doesn't work for some of the characters who weren't on the flight to begin with, Lapidus, Miles, etc.

Last edited by Beehut; 05-24-10 at 10:25 AM.
Old 05-24-10, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
I'm glad I didn't spend the last six years obsessing over every detail. Look, that blade of grass is bent. WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?? I took the show at face value and am fine with the finale.
That is the issue though, the shows producers routinely stated that everything that was on the show had a reason for being there. So it was kind of a cop out with the ending in regards to all of the island's mysteries.
Old 05-24-10, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 638 Likes on 492 Posts

I actually think the single biggest mystery left unanswered is where was the dog all this time and how did it just suddenly appear? Unless that was in the first 80 minutes that I missed...
Old 05-24-10, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
That is the issue though, the shows producers routinely stated that everything that was on the show had a reason for being there. So it was kind of a cop out with the ending in regards to all of the island's mysteries.
Agreed.
Though the finale lulled me into a suitable sense of closure I still am somewhat aggravated at all of the things we were lead to believe would be important, but apparently weren't.
Old 05-24-10, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I actually think the single biggest mystery left unanswered is where was the dog all this time and how did it just suddenly appear? Unless that was in the first 80 minutes that I missed...
Living w/ Rose & Bernard....
Old 05-24-10, 10:26 AM

Received 51 Likes on 17 Posts

The way I see it, the reason the island always needs a protector is because (this going back to what the crazy mom said), the island is a source of power that can do great things, but in the hands of others, it can be used for greed and corruption.

Once you learn of this power, you must stay on the island and dedicate yourself to it. MiB was a man of science, a pre-dharma initiative if you will, and wanted to leave. After learning of this, he wasn't supposed to. Jacob told Ben to purge the Dharma Initiative because they were getting close to harnassing the power of this island.

The biggest mystery they never solved was, why is the island magical. I don't need an exact answer, I can accept that somewhere out there is a place of healing.
Old 05-24-10, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

maybe nobody knew what the island was, what character would of explained it to us? it's just an old ass magical fuckin island that's all i really need to know about it
Old 05-24-10, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I posted a lenghty explanation earlier, but I think it got buried at the bottom of a page. I won't repost, but in short:

Island/Light = Power of Good (call it what you want)

Where there's Good, there's Evil. People had to protect it. That's what the 815 people did.

In the end, the Good Guys won, and protected the Light. Evil defeated. Then we see their reward for it.

The End.
Old 05-24-10, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 238 Likes on 171 Posts

Tuesday night is not going to be the same come tomorrow.
Old 05-24-10, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dom56
Tuesday night is not going to be the same come tomorrow.
Sure it is. Did you not hear they're spinning off the show into a sitcom?

http://www.theonion.com/articles/smo...e-spinof,2734/
Old 05-24-10, 10:33 AM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Remember when Jacob said the island was a like a cork? Well, we saw the cork and what happens when it was pulled out. It had to go back otherwise the evil would be unleashed upon the world. As far as the hatch, button and incident is concerned, I think the bomb blew a hole in the island and unleashed some crazy as heck energy that had to be kept in check, hence the button.
Old 05-24-10, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RocShemp
He was with Rose and bernard. I think Vincent should have been in the church.
Old 05-24-10, 10:36 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

The strangest thing happened last night. I was watching the Lost finale, and it was going great. And then, in the last ten minutes, for some reason it turned into a closing episode of Ghost Whisperer featuring the cast of Lost, and they all went into the Light. Huh.
Old 05-24-10, 10:37 AM

I haven't read the 36 pages on here yet (OMG!!!), but I wanted to chime in that I loved the finale and liked how they wrapped the show up!
Now, having said that, I have a lot of reading to do (36 pages already!!)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.