If you seriously must know
Spoiler:
Desmond is the real Fake Mother.
Old 05-14-10, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Lost -- "Across the Sea" -- 05/11/10

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
What if Desmond does become the new incarnation of Smokey and Jack the island sheriff?
Desmond's name would then obviously HAVE to be "Brother."

I am sure this post was tongue in cheek, but if not..

Is there anybody here holding out hope that the island is going to continue as is with Jack or somebody else in charge? [Seth and Amy]REALLY?[\Seth and Amy]

If it wasn't clear enough earlier in the season it should be much clearer now that the island ends up under water and Jack and Desmond and all the Losties are able to continue on with their lives in the "sideways flashes" time line.

If there are those of you who think this is still going to end with Jack or somebody else in charge on the island, how have you been reconciling the sideways flashes? I guess that may be a clue why some of you have been so pissed with this season...you're looking for answers to be given in places where there are none because you may be looking at it the wrong way.

I am convinced more than I was before that the island sinks at the end of this season and Jack and his friends go back to 2004 and live their lives free of the Island, Jacob, and MIB.

Last edited by calhoun07; 05-14-10 at 05:40 PM.
Old 05-14-10, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by calhoun07
Desmond's name would then obviously HAVE to be "Brother."

I am sure this post was tongue in cheek, but if not..

Is there anybody here holding out hope that the island is going to continue as is with Jack or somebody else in charge? [Seth and Amy]REALLY?[\Seth and Amy]

If it wasn't clear enough earlier in the season it should be much clearer now that the island ends up under water and Jack and Desmond and all the Losties are able to continue on with their lives in the "sideways flashes" time line.

If there are those of you who think this is still going to end with Jack or somebody else in charge on the island, how have you been reconciling the sideways flashes? I guess that may be a clue why some of you have been so pissed with this season...you're looking for answers to be given in places where there are none because you may be looking at it the wrong way.

I am convinced more than I was before that the island sinks at the end of this season and Jack and his friends go back to 2004 and live their lives free of the Island, Jacob, and MIB.
I have a question for you don't you think that ending will be crap? If the ending of this show is about an anti-climatic storyline that the writers sprung on us in the final season.
Old 05-14-10, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by actionjackson29
I have a question for you don't you think that ending will be crap? If the ending of this show is about an anti-climatic storyline that the writers sprung on us in the final season.
No, I don't think that would be crap. What would be crap is if Desmond and Jack became the new protectors of the island and the sideways timeline was never resolved. THAT would be crap.
Old 05-14-10, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,248 Likes on 4,269 Posts

Hey, great podcast by Bill Simmons today : An hour-long, very detailed and informative interview with Carlton Cuse. He addresses a lot of interesting topics including the divisive nature of this most recent episode.

You can download it here.

An interesting thing he says about "Across the Sea" and LOST in general is that the fans say they want answers, but they really don't because this is what answers look like. I'm not sure I agree, but it's an interesting discussion point.

Last edited by Decker; 05-14-10 at 07:22 PM.
Old 05-14-10, 07:20 PM
ATX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jack is going in the hole

and Desmond destiny has always been to be on that island, he's gonna protect it
Old 05-14-10, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 634 Likes on 488 Posts

Who says it wont be resolved if Jack or Desmond become the protectors of the island? It could be both realities are merged at that point or one dissolved.
Old 05-14-10, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Who says it wont be resolved if Jack or Desmond become the protectors of the island? It could be both realities are merged at that point or one dissolved.
I just don't see it working out that way for many reasons I already stated in previous posts in various Lost threads on this board. They are NOT two separate "realities," and we have been plainly told that. Time to put that theory to rest.
Old 05-14-10, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
Plus, are we supposed to believe that every time they moved around in time, they went somewhere relevant to the main storyline?

Actually, yes. Darlton said that every time jump was to a significant time in Island history.
Old 05-14-10, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 634 Likes on 488 Posts

I just don't see it working out that way for many reasons I already stated in previous posts in various Lost threads on this board. They are NOT two separate "realities," and we have been plainly told that. Time to put that theory to rest.
Really? Because that Desmond-centric episode would suggest otherwise.
Old 05-14-10, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Really? Because that Desmond-centric episode would suggest otherwise.
Darth Vader killed your father.

It's a matter of perspective. Faraday may be a brilliant scientist, but he got it wrong...all wrong. The evidence mounts up in the show itself, unless you're going to chalk it all up to lazy writing and just consider one episode.

Faraday got it wrong when he said setting the bomb off would cause the plane to not crash. In fact, setting the bomb off sealed off the electromagnetic energy/light cave crack or whatever it was from destroying the entire island. It was THE "Incident." Men running around in radiation suits, the massive amounts of concrete used in the hatch...it all points to a nuclear bomb detonating on the island. It is clear to anybody sentient that is what happened.

It was made clear by the creators of the show we were going to see what happened if the bomb went off and if the bomb didn't go off. Sawyer looking over the hole containing Juliet's corpse and declaring it didn't work was a diversion. Them smack dab back in 2007 is the result of the bomb going off.

Flash sideways to Jack on the plane in 2004 flying over where the island was as if nothing was wrong. We pan down to the water to the island...everything under the water we see is in place. If that was the result of the bomb going off the Dharma buildings would have been flattened, completely obliterated. Yet they are intact. Just under water. There was no detonation of the bomb in sideways flash 2004 in 1977 on the island. The island was there in 1977, as Ben and his father verified, but they escaped before the releasing of the electromagnetic energy/light cave caused the island to sink. Because they were already evacuating the island at that time before it completely brought the island down.

So we have Faraday, musician extraordinaire in sideways flash 2004. He believes that the bomb went off to create the sideways time line. Now, if that was the only episode you are relying on for this entire season, it's no wonder most of you hate the rest of the episodes. Yet you have to piece the clues from each episode together.

Now consider:
Jack has a scar on his neck and his appendix scar as well. He got the scar on his neck when the bomb on the beach went off and we know about his appendix...both are scars he got on the island.

Sun also noticed something in the mirror before somebody came to her room...I suspect she saw a scar from where she was pinned under in the submarine.

One by one the people who died on the island (yes, I believe Jack will die) are getting their memories back. It's not a merging of two time lines. Because the bomb not going off in 1977 didn't create an alternate time line from that point...it allowed things to reset for our heroes all together so they lived lives without the influence of Jacob coming to them.

At least that's what I think.

Faraday going to Desmond saying the sideways time line is a result of the bomb going off is true...to an extent. This is the way I see it...the bomb went off in 1977 and sent our heroes to 2007. But the bomb going off in 1977 resulted in everything we saw in the past five seasons of the show. That time line comes to an end this season when Jack sacrifices himself to take out MIB and causes things to reset. I THINK it will happen in 1977 because somehow he and Desmond have to cause the bomb to not go off. Causing the bomb to not go off will make it so their plane never crashes but I also think it will destroy the island and kill MIB once and for all.

Desmond in sideways timeline connecting with Desmond in 2007 island timeline is actually making him the first of the people in the reset timeline to remember all the events of the island. Everybody else is piecing things together little by little, but Desmond is the only one so far who sees the big picture. I believe what he's doing is helping all his friends to remember as well. I disagree with the concept that it will "merge" the two timelines because the creators of the show already told us there are not alternate timelines in all of this. So if there are not alternate timelines I concluded all of it stems from one timeline but we are just seeing what happens after Jack sacrifices himself, the bomb fails to go off, and the island is destroyed and the reset takes place...all of the events after that are being seen in the sideways timeline.

I don't think Mrs. Widmore wants everybody to remember because the island was some place special and they may realize all that they lost and what they cannot get back. But I think she is wrong...I think them remembering it all will bond them closer together.

This is just all my theory based on what I've seen in the context of the series. I have not read spoiler blogs or anything of the sort so perhaps some of you are arriving at your conclusions based on things you read there. So if I am wrong, I am wrong. But so far I've been pretty darn close on things that I thought would happen.

That is the only thing that makes sense. Because if suddenly the sideways time line disappears that would completely suck because then seeing Sun and Jin alive in there really was pointless and for other reasons... But I think that is the character's "happy ending." The creators of the show promised us we would see a resolution to all the characters in the show. Yes, we are...in the sideways timeline. That is what happens after Jack and Desmond make it so the bomb doesn't go off.
Old 05-14-10, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
An interesting thing he says about "Across the Sea" and LOST in general is that the fans say they want answers, but they really don't because this is what answers look like.
Bullshit. We want answers that don't prove to be complete crap. Just another douchey comment from that guy. If that's his definition of answers maybe I just just punch out before the last two episodes and since he seems to be alluding to the fact that I'll hate them as much as this one.
Old 05-15-10, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 914 Likes on 649 Posts

Originally Posted by XavierMike
Continuing our "How Lost is like the Dark Tower discussion" (if people get pissed let them, we are using spoilers):
Abrams and Lindleoff dropped the Dark Tower project recently. What if it was because they just spent six years telling their own Dark Tower story?

Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant11
Bullshit. We want answers that don't prove to be complete crap. Just another douchey comment from that guy. If that's his definition of answers maybe I just just punch out before the last two episodes and since he seems to be alluding to the fact that I'll hate them as much as this one.
Exactly. If he can't provide some satisfying answers he simply isn't doing his job.
Old 05-15-10, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I still want to know what the magic night stick is that Ben carries around with him
Old 05-15-10, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Ahh ... they specifically stated at the beginning of the season that they consider it "a seperate reality".

From last season:

Old 05-15-10, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They officially stated it by having young Ben give Sayid a book?

Look, I already included a link to the interview where they specifically say it's NOT an alternate reality. I quoted it for the lazy twice already. I posted it again in this very thread. I suggest you locate the link and try again.

Now it could be something they said in an interview turns out to be bunk...I realize it wouldn't be the first time...but NOBODY has been able to provide any compelling argument supporting their theory other than one episode with Faraday that I think was just a bit misleading. If the sideways time line isn't taking place after the events on the island in this season how do you explain the things I already pointed out with your theory? Nobody has yet to come forward to provide a working theory...and I really would be interested to read one since you seem to think I am wrong.

I looked the book up online...it's about "perceiving energy directly as it flows through the universe" by using peyote. We've seen examples of plants on the island being used to induce perceiving things differently on the island...Locke used it (and Charlie was getting on him about it because he knew it was essentially drugs) and I think we saw Fake Mom using it in this most recent episode. Apparently the drug plants on the island help certain key people see the energy of the island as it relates to the universe.

Nowhere in that book does it talk about two different earths or something like that.

Last edited by calhoun07; 05-15-10 at 08:36 AM.
Old 05-15-10, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Nowhere in that book does it talk about two different earths or something like that.
You read the whole book or basing that opinion on a synopsis?

This is just all my theory based on what I've seen in the context of the series. I have not read spoiler blogs or anything of the sort.
ORLY?
|
v

Look, I already included a link to the interview where they specifically say it's NOT an alternate reality. I quoted it for the lazy twice already. I posted it again in this very thread. I suggest you locate the link and try again.
Interviews influencing your theory is no different than reading spoilers. Also looking up the book above is technically outside the context of the show since all we got was a title and some cover art.

So they say it's not an alternate reality, so what? As pointed out 10 thousand times over 6 years, they also said everything can be explained scientifically, which is clearly not the case (unless the whole show ends up being some kind of dream sequence). Damon and Carlton are bullshit artists, damn good ones, and I have no problem with that. The point is you can't hold them to one thing they said and not another.

Now it could be something they said in an interview turns out to be bunk...I realize it wouldn't be the first time...but NOBODY has been able to provide any compelling argument supporting their theory other than one episode with Faraday that I think was just a bit misleading.
While your theories seem sound, this holier than thou BS you've got going on the past few weeks is getting tiresome. Sorry but after weeks of this I had to say something. We get it, you are the only one that knows everything that is going on. Good for you. Everyone is still entitled to their theories and they are no less entertaining to read. Never mind that you keep moving your own goal posts every week. Calling everyone, quite literally everyone, out on their ideas is obnoxious and getting old.
Old 05-15-10, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Flash sideways to Jack on the plane in 2004 flying over where the island was as if nothing was wrong. We pan down to the water to the island...everything under the water we see is in place. If that was the result of the bomb going off the Dharma buildings would have been flattened, completely obliterated. Yet they are intact. Just under water. There was no detonation of the bomb in sideways flash 2004 in 1977 on the island. The island was there in 1977, as Ben and his father verified, but they escaped before the releasing of the electromagnetic energy/light cave caused the island to sink. Because they were already evacuating the island at that time before it completely brought the island down.
I think it's interesting you mention this as some sort of proof, when I simply took it as "the buildings are standing so viewers would recognize the island under water." I highly doubt the creators bothered to think about the physics of a bomb going off...that's giving them WAY too much credit.

My wife is a huge fan of LOST and watched this episode before me. She's the ultimate apologist, enjoys this final season, and she told me she thought it was a waste of time.

I watched it with the same acceptance I've had of this entire season (meaning: the creators and writers don't know what they are doing anymore). I actually just felt bad for the lead actors on the show, knowing that one of the final episodes of the series was given over completely to characters that didn't exist before this season. And yes, I count Jacob/MiB in that. There is no way the smoke monster, the "Jacob" in the abandoned house and the "Jacob" that could leave the island had anything to do with the way these characters are written now.

I would rather have gotten some resolutions to any of the other plotlines then see another flashback episode. The "who were Adam and Eve" question is one that ultimately means nothing to the show and didn't need one of the final episodes to be dedicated to a relatively minor "wonder what that's all about" moment.
Old 05-15-10, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Draven
The "who were Adam and Eve" question is one that ultimately means nothing to the show and didn't need one of the final episodes to be dedicated to a relatively minor "wonder what that's all about" moment.
It's almost like spending an entire episode explaining Jack's tattoo.
Old 05-15-10, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by actionjackson29
As for the speaking english in this episode, I don't believe anyone is insinuating that the entire episode should've been in latin. But, the beginning scenes with Mother and the Bio-mom could've easily been. I think everyone can live with the protector of some mythical island to be able to communicate with people from all over the world, but where did this young woman who's first language is latin learn english?
they did speak Latin at the beginning of the episode, when the mom found the lady at the stream and the first few lines in the cave (thus the subtitles). Then they did the musical/camera transition to move to no subtitles. They've done this in previous episodes, like the sayid flashbacks. I at no time assumed the young woman had learned english.
Old 05-15-10, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
You read the whole book or basing that opinion on a synopsis?
Synopsis. But I am betting people trying to extrapoloate a "Crisis on Multiple Islands" type theory just based on the cover of the book alone never read the whole book or even tried looking up a synopsis.

ORLY?
|
v

Yes, Really.

Interviews influencing your theory is no different than reading spoilers. Also looking up the book above is technically outside the context of the show since all we got was a title and some cover art.

Considering I've never read a major spoiler in any interview, I don't think it's the same thing. They hinted at what they are leading us towards, but I've never seen a major spoiler in an interview. And if they said it's not an alternate reality that is not a spoiler, they are just shooting down a theory online.

And the books shown in the series have something IN them that influenced the show in some way. There is a REASON they choose each book they show. The intent is that we read the books or educate ourselves in some way on the book so we can figure out how it influenced the show. That's been since season one.

So they say it's not an alternate reality, so what? As pointed out 10 thousand times over 6 years, they also said everything can be explained scientifically, which is clearly not the case (unless the whole show ends up being some kind of dream sequence). Damon and Carlton are bullshit artists, damn good ones, and I have no problem with that. The point is you can't hold them to one thing they said and not another.

Yet what they said regarding seeing what happened when the bomb went off and what happened when the bomb didn't go off is holding up. If they changed their minds about it being an alternate reality then so be it, but the fact remains there are still compelling clues to suggest the sideways timeline is a reset after the island time line within the CONTEXT OF THE SHOW.

While your theories seem sound, this holier than thou BS you've got going on the past few weeks is getting tiresome. Sorry but after weeks of this I had to say something. We get it, you are the only one that knows everything that is going on. Good for you. Everyone is still entitled to their theories and they are no less entertaining to read. Never mind that you keep moving your own goal posts every week. Calling everyone, quite literally everyone, out on their ideas is obnoxious and getting old.

So it's "holier than thou" to point out clues in the context of the series? If you believe your theory so convincingly within the context of the show, post YOUR clues you got from the show. One episode with Faraday doesn't count...you have to show me how that works with the rest of the season and the series itself because it's one big mosaic.

Everyone is entitled to their own theories, I agree...but put some meat on it and offer up something to chew on. Throwing ideas off the top of the head like "Aaron is MIB" or something like that without any reason WHY that should be within the context of the show doesn't really give a guy much to chew on.

And I don't know what you mean by I "move my own goal posts?" Obviously a theory I had mid season might need to be tweaked with three hours left in the game. But I still see it coming along basically the way I had it figured out weeks ago. I never said I had all the details right.
Old 05-15-10, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven
I think it's interesting you mention this as some sort of proof, when I simply took it as "the buildings are standing so viewers would recognize the island under water." I highly doubt the creators bothered to think about the physics of a bomb going off...that's giving them WAY too much credit.
You know, it's fine with me if people want to think the island timeline we are currently seeing is a result of the bomb not going off. Please explain to me HOW. Because I've pointed out plenty of reasons why the bomb did go off and the island timeline remained. Give me something to chew on. I've seen this idea posted over and over again with no substance offered with it. People are tired of my theories? I want to see more substance with the ones that counter them, please.
Old 05-15-10, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Somehow the island does sink and Jack is responsible and life goes on for all of the people on the outside.
Old 05-15-10, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
It's almost like spending an entire episode explaining Jack's tattoo.
I forgot about that episode, yechhh that was so godawful. Right up there with Nikki and Paolo and Hurley's hippy van.
Old 05-15-10, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

You know, it's fine with me if people want to think the island timeline we are currently seeing is a result of the bomb not going off. Please explain to me HOW. Because I've pointed out plenty of reasons why the bomb did go off and the island timeline remained. Give me something to chew on. I've seen this idea posted over and over again with no substance offered with it. People are tired of my theories? I want to see more substance with the ones that counter them, please.
Nearly every thread on Lost this season I've seen you post the same theory over and over again. Pretty much the same members come into the threads every week so it is getting tiresome to see it. Everyone has read your theory so please find something else to discuss about Lost!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.