DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Lost -- "Across the Sea" -- 05/11/10 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/573589-lost-across-sea-05-11-10-a.html)

DVD Josh 05-13-10 09:03 AM

Re: Lost -- "Across the Sea" -- 05/11/10

Originally Posted by Timber (Post 10155628)
Because Mother was the previous Smokey.

Hilarious.

jwb0323 05-13-10 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh (Post 10155644)
Hilarious.

If the light went out when smokie came out, why was it still on (assuming the mother went in at some point prior and was a smokie herself) if the mother became a smokie the same way?

Superman07 05-13-10 09:14 AM

If the light went out, how was it back when Locke, et al turned the wheel?

Timber 05-13-10 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by jwb0323 (Post 10155652)
If the light went out when smokie came out, why was it still on (assuming the mother went in at some point prior and was a smokie herself) if the mother became a smokie the same way?

The light doesn't matter. The light was still on when Ben turned the Donkey Wheel.

Either she was a Smokey or she was controlling it. It wouldn't make sense for her to just be controlling it.There is no other way to explain the well, the village and how MiB got back up to the surface.

Timber 05-13-10 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Superman07 (Post 10155659)
If the light went out, how was it back when Locke, et al turned the wheel?

Beat me to it...

XavierMike 05-13-10 09:22 AM

I'm going with the MIB and Smokie are two different people. I think MIB's body somehow released Smokie. Either way, according to the creators of the show: (spoiler about what topic will be covered in the final episodes)

Spoiler:

A couple of my readers pointed out that when Jacob sends the Man in Black down the log flume and he turns into the Smoke Monster, the light in the cave goes out. And they've wondered if that means that Smokey now is the light that Jacob is supposed to protect and that's why he can't leave the island.

CC: You'll get more information that will help you understand that in the episodes that follow this one.

Flave 05-13-10 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by calhoun07 (Post 10154614)
The first thing I thought of when I saw the cave of light is the Garden of Eden. When Adam and Eve were cast from the Garden of Eden, God placed an angel with a flaming sword at the garden so they could never enter again.

Whether it's actually supposed to be the Garden of Eden or a metaphorical representation of it, it makes sense that the island IS the Garden of Eden in some way. The light cave may be the source of life for all and the first protector of the island was an angel of God. Since then, the angel had to find somebody to replace them and so on until Jacob and MIB and now apparently Jack.

That's just a rough idea...how that ties into every minute detail I don't know. But when you said it was the source of all civilization it reminded me that was my first thought when I saw the cave. And the water was the river of life...that's why drinking from it made them immortal.

Yeah, I've had the same thought (several times this season) but no matter how I tried to fit it into the Lost mythology I felt I was trying to force square pegs into round holes. (This is why I thought the biblical story of Jacob might be more apropos.) You can see Smokey as the Serpent and "Golden Pond" as the Tree of Knowledge, but there are no obvious Adam & Eve characters. The twins bring to mind Cain & Abel but again Cain killed his brother, not Eve. They keep bringing us close to a Garden of Eden scenario but always add a twist yanking it away.

Groucho 05-13-10 09:37 AM

Amount of evidence that MIB == Smokie: Tons

Amount of evidence that MIB != Smokie: None

dsa_shea 05-13-10 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Flave (Post 10155702)
Yeah, I've had the same thought (several times this season) but no matter how I tried to fit it into the Lost mythology I felt I was trying to force square pegs into round holes. (This is why I thought the biblical story of Jacob might be more apropos.) You can see Smokey as the Serpent and "Golden Pond" as the Tree of Knowledge, but there are no obvious Adam & Eve characters. The twins bring to mind Cain & Abel but again Abel was killed by his brother not his mother. They keep bringing us close to a Garden of Eden scenario but always add a twist yanking it away.

That is because C&L want to say in the end that nobody had their story figured out. They want to be able to say that some people were close but they were ultimately smarter than us. It is a serious ego trip and you can see that coming out in recent interviews. They are no longer the humble duo that appreciated the fact that the fans made their show popular and not necessarily their "great ideas".

Kevin M. Dean 05-13-10 09:41 AM

Putting aside whether certain answers will be given or not, because we won't know until the very end.... It wouldn't have made sense from a storytelling point of view to provide big answers in this episode to begin with. Answers given here would be just answers given to the viewing audience. Without the main characters of the show being present and hearing those answers, it serves no purpose to the actual plot. We the audience should learn the answers when the characters we've been following all along learn them. If we found out this episode, and then the characters like Jack, Kate, Sawyer, etc. found out later, it would just be wasting time with repetition, especially this close to the end. The real answers (at least the one's we're actually given) will just not come until the last episode and will be provided in the context of the characters finding it out. That's just what makes the most sense to me.

uteotw 05-13-10 09:48 AM

<a href="http://www.profilesinhistory.com/items/lost-auction-preview-dp1.html"]http://www.profilesinhistory.com/items/lost-auction-preview-dp1.html" target="_blank" >Lost Auction Preview</a>

I'm partial to Jin's Hero Rolex.

Anubis2005X 05-13-10 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by jwb0323 (Post 10155600)
Then how in the heck could the mom kill all those people and fill the hole that was dug if there was no smokie then?

A wizard did it. Wizard!

Raul3 05-13-10 09:52 AM

:lol:

I still can't believe the way this thread went. I never expect expect everybody to like every episode but people calling the producers names and that kind of stuff is kind of perplexing.

How is the feedback in the rest of the internet? 50-50? Most loved it? Most hated it?

Meglos 05-13-10 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by uteotw (Post 10155721)
<a href="http://www.profilesinhistory.com/items/lost-auction-preview-dp1.html"]http://www.profilesinhistory.com/items/lost-auction-preview-dp1.html" target="_blank" >Lost Auction Preview</a>

I'm partial to Jin's Hero Rolex.

I want Karl's brainwashing goggles.

dsa_shea 05-13-10 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Raul3 (Post 10155728)
:lol:

I still can't believe the way this thread went. I never expect expect everybody to like every episode but people calling the producers names and that kind of stuff is kind of perplexing.

How is the feedback in the rest of the internet? 50-50? Most loved it? Most hated it?

On the other sites I go to it seems that 80% or more are slobbing the knob of that last episode. I have even read more than one response that it was the best of the series and multiple posts that it is in the top ten of all the series. I just don't see it. It wasn't terrible by any means but it was in no way very insightful. I would summarize it as if a teacher were expecting a student to write a book report based on the synopsis of the story rather than getting to read the book itself.

Raul3 05-13-10 10:41 AM

Yeah, I don't see it in any Top ten list either. I liked the episode but it was just average for Lost standards.

Goldblum 05-13-10 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Gunde (Post 10155436)
Seriously people, not knowing MIB's name is pissing you off so much? Why the hell does that matter?? There are plenty of things to be pissed about, but that's not one of them.

And continuing to whine about them not having it all planned out from the start is silly too. OF COURSE THEY DIDN'T. No matter what they said back then NOBODY has a 6 season tv show all planned out.
Not even The Shield, The Sopranos, Carnivale or Babylon 5. There might be a general idea of stuff that needs to happen and a possible ending, but nobody plans too much outside of a single season - for obvious reasons.

The simple difference with The Shield & Sopranos is that there wasn't freaky mysterious shit happening starting with the first episode.

However, I agree with your comment re: MIB's name. Not exactly one of the most pressing things that should be explained.

andy434343 05-13-10 11:10 AM

So in season 1 through 4, we are seeing the lives of everyone, as they were influenced and affected by Jacob.

In some of Seasons 5, through all of Season 6, we are seeing the lives of everyone, as they were influenced and affected by the MIB.

hippie68 05-13-10 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by kaze0 (Post 10155563)
Maybe the MiB just never had a name. Do we know their fake mothers name? 3 people living on an island together where 2 of them believe that they are the only 3 people don't really need names. Sure he probably got a name when he lived with the other people, but thats inconsequential.

I agree, esp when the birth mother said she only picked one name and then was killed.

siddd5 05-13-10 12:09 PM

I believe smokie's real name is :
Spoiler:
hey you

Michael Corvin 05-13-10 12:10 PM

rotfl I was in mid post when siddd replied. That's hilarious.

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 10155704)

This guy has clue notebooks that put the Pearl station to shame. I trust him.

Originally Posted by Goldblum (Post 10155814)
However, I agree with your comment re: MIB's name. Not exactly one of the most pressing things that should be explained.

Not necessary, but they are basically to the point of just pointing and saying "hey, you!" It's ham-fisted and the writers are just being obstinate.

Groucho 05-13-10 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 10155982)
Not necessary, but they are basically to the point of just pointing and saying "hey, you!" It's ham-fisted and the writers are just being obstinate.

I agree with this. I don't care what the MIB's name is (since we now know it's not another character), but there have been several scenes of dialogue that are terrible. Most notably the end of this episode where Jacob says to the corpses "Goodbye, mother. Goodbye...you."

I say we just call him Cosmo.

Michael Corvin 05-13-10 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 10155986)
I say we just call him Cosmo.

:lol: Works for me. MiB shall henceforth be known as Cosmo. Mystery solved.

spainlinx0 05-13-10 12:17 PM

Seriously there is no reason to not give him a name. It's not about it being a mystery. It's about it being ridiculous. Stop saying the woman didn't have a name picked out. So what? They aren't capable of thinking of one?

majorjoe23 05-13-10 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 10155704)

There you go, you can't disprove a negative. So MIB isn't Smokie!