DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Lost -- "Across the Sea" -- 05/11/10 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/573589-lost-across-sea-05-11-10-a.html)

DarkestPhoenix 05-15-10 10:59 PM

Re: Lost -- "Across the Sea" -- 05/11/10

Originally Posted by dsa_shea (Post 10160486)
Then they should have played it off as Widmore's group shooting at them. Maybe a few lines between some of them talking about shooting at an unknown group and then them disappearing. This could have been a flash to the future.

It was, since the Ajira flight hadn't crashed on-island from our viewpoint yet.

Big Boy Laroux 05-15-10 11:43 PM

Not to mention widmore's group had nothing to do with the Ajira air flight.

DarkestPhoenix 05-15-10 11:50 PM

Not necessarily true....they did take over the landing strip and take control of the plane and pretend to be at least one 'survivor' of the Ajira crash. Having a water bottle from the plane does not strain credulity.

Philip Reuben 05-16-10 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by DarkestPhoenix (Post 10160457)
That would have been great, had they not found a water bottle from the Ajira flight.

We'll see if the island and the plane are still around after the end of the series. If they are, the scene could have been literally anytime in the future.

ATX 05-16-10 07:35 AM

Juliet's behaviour when she was dying. She seemed to lose track of where she was and who she was talking to (like she was gaining awareness of the other universe, similar to what has been happening to the flash sideways characters), and then Miles relayed her dying message, "It worked". The argument could be made that Juliet isn't in a position to know what caused the flash sideways universe to exist, but "It worked" would seem like an odd line give her if it's not actually true. They could have had her say something more neutral that also implied awareness of the flash sideways universe.
several episodes into season 6, well whatever episode it was where they established the awareness thing in the sideways, i thought about Juliet and my first thought was that she went over to the other side. As we've seen, losties that died on the island are more aware of what is going on ie alt.Charlie, alt.Libby, alt.Faraday... so i been waiting to see how Juliet is incorporated in the finale

Big Boy Laroux 05-16-10 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by DarkestPhoenix (Post 10160555)
Not necessarily true....they did take over the landing strip and take control of the plane and pretend to be at least one 'survivor' of the Ajira crash. Having a water bottle from the plane does not strain credulity.

True true. It's possible. But they found the bottle on the main island, not on hydra island. Although, yes, it's possible that widmore's crew took the outrigger over with a bottle from the plane. But alana's group would have been more probable, but they're all dead now.

calhoun07 05-16-10 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by DthRdrX (Post 10159993)
Are you serious? They stated in one of the first few podcasts of the season. "We don't view it at an alternate reality, we prefer to call it a seperate reality" That is a qoute directly from the writers!

So how do you view an alternate reality as different from a separate reality? In any sci-fi that deals with alternate realities they deal with two or more of whatever you are dealing with. Mirror Universe in Star Trek, multiple Earths in DC Comics, etc... in those instances you have two Kirks, two Supermans, etc. The way I am looking at it in Lost, we still have one Jack and one of each Lostie. There aren't two Jacks or two Desmonds, for example. If past Desmond connects with future Desmond it doesn't equal two Desmonds...it equals one Desmond.

In my thinking, a reset timeline free of the influence of the island that had our heroes living their lives free of the influence of Jacob would be a separate reality. Still a reset reality, still branching off from the consequences of the end of this season. And the two are merging in a way because our heroes in the reset/separate timeline are getting their memories of the island back even though they lived in a reality free of Jacob.

calhoun07 05-16-10 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by DthRdrX (Post 10160000)
BTW, I dont know if Calhoun understands this but the writers have been placing certain book covers on the show for sometime. They place them there because they are little hints about what is upcoming on the show.

Remember in S1 when Jack burned Sawyer's ''manuscript" after Sawyer stated he was about to find out 'whodunnit'. The name of the manuscript shown on screen was "Bad Twin." The writer of that manuscript was the first character killed who was sucked into the engine. Bad Twin ... Mib/Jacob ... Hint Hint

Remember Aldo reading "A Brief History of Time" in S3, the same episode they threw "Only Fools are Enslaved by Time and Space" at us? Do we have to read/understand Hawking's book to understand they were going to use time travel?Why did they select that book? Hint Hint

Remember Jacob reading "Everything that Rises must Converge" while he was waiting for Locke to fall out of the window ... Hint Hint

Well, if you want to take the book Ben gave Sayid at face value only, fine. But I just posted my thoughts on the differences between alternate reality and separate reality. If the creators of the show are making a point to differentiate what is going on in their series from what has gone on in other sci-fi stories that deal with mirror universe type stories then there is a reason.

calhoun07 05-16-10 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by DarkestPhoenix (Post 10160511)
Why is it that people think all appearances of the dead have to be the work of a smoke monster? It was only a few episodes back that we got word that ghosts ALSO appear and are the whispers, thanks to Michael. These operate independently of the smoke monster.

Also, in reference to your "theory", the only problem I have with it is the fact that your timing of the destruction of the island cannot be accurate. IF everyone lives their lives free of Jacob, then something has to be done BEFORE 1977, since we know Jacob interacted with Sawyer in 1974, when he gave him the pen at his parents' funeral. Therefore, Jack et al will have to travel back in time prior to the events of their own lives to kill/stop Jacob/MiB from interacting with them. Then, they would have to return to a point AFTER 1977 to destroy the island. I know this, because Ben and his father said they chose to leave. If THAT is true, it would have had to happen long enough after the incident to allow them to escape the island OR they would have left the island prior to the incident without Jacob's influence, which again would point back to the fact that our Heroes have to travel back in time far enough to prevent Jacob from keeping Ben on-island. Ben's father spoke of staying on the island, which infers he has no knowledge of its destruction. However, seeing the Dharma houses means the island had to have sunk after their construction, which means it's downed sometime between the sixties and present day.

Good points. As I said, I never thought I was 100% right. Perhaps if they go back far enough to stop Jacob from influencing them that will prevent the bomb from ever going off. Maybe they won't go back to 1977...maybe they will go back further. Jack seems to be figuring things out well for the first time so he may see a point further back.

But if they go back further in time to stop Jacob from influencing them that wouldn't sink the island. I would think then if there is a reset timeline because Jacob didn't influence them that would mean they never went to the island to go back to set the bomb off, so in a way your theory works with mine.

DarkestPhoenix 05-16-10 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux (Post 10160760)
True true. It's possible. But they found the bottle on the main island, not on hydra island. Although, yes, it's possible that widmore's crew took the outrigger over with a bottle from the plane. But alana's group would have been more probable, but they're all dead now.

See, Darlton said it would be straying too far from the story to show that scene. No, it wouldn't. To me, it made the most sense that Widmore's group went to the main island, abducted Jin, got back to their outriggers to find someone absconded with one, chased them down and shot at them, one guy gets hit, they have to make two trips to get back to Hydra. Boom.

First boat brings Jin and main Widmore guys back. Other guys (redshirts) waiting to get picked up are nervous and for good reason....Smokie comes and kills them while they are waiting....builds up the tension and makes for more Smoke-on-Human action.

I like this because also it makes the abduction of Jin accomplish something, since Widmore picking him up did little for furthering the story other than show multiple energy locations.

ATX 05-16-10 11:46 AM

you wonder why Jacob looked so concerned when he came to Hurley near the VW bus and examined Sayid in the la-x episode

Jacob states it's very important to take Sayid to the temple, same temple he knew MIB was going to to kill everybody

then later Dogens translator said that if Sayid dies we're all in trouble

Sayid dies then 2 hours later miracilously comes back alive (and i'm not buying MIB bringing him back...)

Sayid later saved Desmond then sacraficed himself in the sub

hmm

i can't quite put my finger on it but something is up :D

DarkestPhoenix 05-16-10 01:16 PM

I wonder what it means that everyone who has super powers in the original timeline seems to be without them in the sideways world. Jacob's influence must grant them all, if sideways is sans Jacob.

calhoun07 05-16-10 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Philip Reuben (Post 10160136)
Four, if the entire flash sideways storyline happens after the main events of the story, the whole subplot is leading nowhere and Desmond's quest started in "Happily Ever After" is of no relevance to anything. And you (calhoun07) feel this would be less of a disappointment than the flash sideways universe ceasing to exist?

Ah, but see...I don't think it's of no relevance if Desmond manages to get the Losties to remember their time on the island. Something happened...something more than just a typical reset...where they bear the physical effects of being on the island (for some, such as Jack and apparently Sun) and some revert back to how they were before the island (Locke.) And I guess I just see that something being that they are deliberately being kept in the dark about their time on the island. Eloise seems to be the only one who knows about the island and all of it and is trying to get Desmond to avoid his quest.

I am not certain why...I surmise it may be because she realizes if they remember everything then whatever secret was buried with the island will live and she must want that secret buried for some reason. (I wish I knew what it was they want buried...we may have known if it wasn't for the vague answers in this past episode!)

But if Desmond succeeds, I don't see the two timelines merging so much as I would imagine two of each character becoming one...I think it would be more like the constant where the future selves of the characters effected the past selves of the characters, or vice versa. Then they will realize their destinies for each of them together as a group and even off island they will realize why they are being brought together.

calhoun07 05-16-10 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Philip Reuben (Post 10159967)
Quick theory:

The event that we've arguably been led to believe is "the Incident" is when the Dharma Initiative drilled into the pocket of electromagnetic energy (i.e. the glowing pool of light) and saw the rather terrible results of doing so. If the main characters had not decided to explode a nuclear bomb there, the Dharma Initiative would still have changed the goal of the Swan site to that of containing the energy, hence all the concrete and the need to enter the numbers. Given their lack of knowledge about the exact nature of the energy, they might have felt it prudent to treat it as "radioactive" (at least in front of the less important members of staff) until they could determine for certain what its properties were and how they could be harnessed.

Then, of course, the Others killed every member of the Dharma Initiative except the inhabitants of the Swan, leaving them in their belief that they needed radiation suits.

I contemplated this for a bit... Most of the posters here don't give the writers enough credit for seeing something through in one single season. Considering the mounting evidence they made most of this up as they went along I really can't give them more credit that they somehow decided to start misleading us way back in season two about whether or not a bomb went off at the end of season five. But it could be...look how they had Adam and Eve figured out so long ago! (JK)

And Dr. Chang seemed to know the exact nature of what they were drilling into. Not everybody did...it seemed to be confidential information they didn't share with the workers...but Chang seemed to know.

But it could be they were wearing the radiation suits because of the gas Ben released to kill everybody else. How long would something like that contaminate the environment?

Philip Reuben 05-16-10 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by calhoun07 (Post 10161160)
Eloise seems to be the only one who knows about the island and all of it and is trying to get Desmond to avoid his quest. I am not certain why...I surmise it may be because she realizes if they remember everything then whatever secret was buried with the island will live and she must want that secret buried for some reason.

Like I said, I don't think wording like "You're not ready yet" suggests that she wants the secret buried forever. It sounds more like everything is supposed to happen at the right time and in the right way. Maybe Desmond is just accelerating the plan (and hence the end of the flash sideways universe).

I contemplated this for a bit... Most of the posters here don't give the writers enough credit for seeing something through in one single season. Considering the mounting evidence they made most of this up as they went along I really can't give them more credit that they somehow decided to start misleading us way back in season two about whether or not a bomb went off at the end of season five.
It doesn't have to be that they planned it as a big mislead that far back. The evidence in season 2 does suggest that there was nuclear material around the Swan site, but it's not definitive, especially since the Dharma Initiative were established around the same time as being a bit shady with the truth and prone to "psychological examination" (see the Pearl station and Dr Chang's variety of false names), which casts doubt on anything they told their staff.

So most likely it was set up as a possibility, a plot hook the writers intended to go back to eventually and deal with as they saw fit. (They probably expected it to be simpler than this, since around that time they were still saying the show would never have time travel in it.)

And Dr. Chang seemed to know the exact nature of what they were drilling into. Not everybody did...it seemed to be confidential information they didn't share with the workers...but Chang seemed to know.
I'm sure he had more of an idea than most other people in the Dharma Initiative, but "exact nature" is being a bit generous. The exact nature of the light is probably unexplainable by modern science. It must have had properties that weren't consistent with even his best theories.

But it could be they were wearing the radiation suits because of the gas Ben released to kill everybody else. How long would something like that contaminate the environment?
Possibly, and who knows?