Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

How would YOU end LOST?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-10, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Re: How would YOU end LOST?

I would like the Man In Black to show up wearing a blue outfit. It would "change EVERYTHING" we know about the show.
Old 05-08-10, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jack's steps out of the shower, looks alluringly into the camera, and with the voice of that guy in the Old Spice commercial says:

"Hello ladies, look at your man, now back to me, now back to your man, now back to me. Sadly he isn't me. But if he hadn't spent the last six years following some stupid TV show about some stupid floating island in space and instead spent that time to become a neurosurgeon like me, he could smell like he's me. Look down, back up, where are you? You're on an airplane with the man your man could smell like. Or maybe not -- depends on whether the bomb went off. What's in your hand? Back at me. I am at a keyboard entering numbers into a vintage terminal -- numbers that will make all your dreams come true. Look up. Back down. I'm holding two tickets to the thing you love. Look again, the keyboard is now a six-pack of Dharma beer. Anything is possible when your man smells smells like old money and not a lady. I'm on a polar bear."

Fade to black.

LOST.

Spoiler:

Last edited by Flave; 05-08-10 at 04:49 PM.
Old 05-08-10, 04:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great ones!

Another one that'd work is the cast are all having a group hug, then they sidestep over to a box of kleenex.
Old 05-08-10, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The same way Requiem for a Dream ended, except with Kate and Sun.
Old 05-08-10, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
I would like the Man In Black to show up wearing a blue outfit. It would "change EVERYTHING" we know about the show.
Johnny Cash, The Man in Black, or one of the MIB man in black?
Old 05-08-10, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

All of the above.
Old 05-08-10, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

The cast does a musical number of "Dry Bones"

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/csfyrCQDVI4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/csfyrCQDVI4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 05-08-10, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would end Lost... no, wait, I wouldn't.

Unless the Creators decided they wanted to end it on their own terms, I wouldn't want it to end. But in that case, then I would end Lost by letting Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse come up with the ending they felt was appropriate for the show and it's fans.

So apparently I win too.
Old 05-08-10, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
A gray shirt would be better. Just sayin'.
Old 05-08-10, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HUG-H
The entire cast wakes up in Bob Newhart's bed.
Or in the shower with Bobby Ewing. That would be the most epic ending evar!
Old 05-09-10, 12:04 AM
bcd

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Shazam
The same way Requiem for a Dream ended, except with Kate and Sun.
Old 05-09-10, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

-We learn that the island's first true explorers were Egyptians.

-It is revealed that the teleportation and time traveling on the island are attributed to Nikola Tesla doing experiments on the islands back in the 20s and 30s. Hitler and the Nazis started the Dharma Initiative.

-Claire's baby being born isn't significant, the other miscarriages were simply unfortunate coincidences.

-The smoke monster was an experiment that Hitler made Tesla create. (In a kick ass flashback, Tesla unleashes the smoke monster for the first time. It kills numerous Nazi guards until Tesla traps it behind the electric field.) Hitler abandons the island after the smoke monster incident.

-The forces of good and evil that we have seen (Locke, MiB, Jacob) are nothing but manifestations of our heroes' fears. This is attributed to the island's strong magnetic field and strange electric phenomenon. The characters are all "lost" in body, mind and spirit. It is not until they return to the island they all "see" Locke guiding them to do bad things. Locke isn't there, he is not real. Neither was Jacob. After all, why didn't we see them the other 5 seasons?

-Jack is the hero it has always been about him. After learning the truth that there is no real reason why he needs to be there, and that there is no god or devil playing games with Losties... Jack decides to stay back on the island anyway, think Shutter Island.

The end.
Old 05-09-10, 10:02 AM
ATX

this thread didn't go well at all...

anyways, this was my ending
---

Sayid successfully transitions to alt.Sayid conciousness and becomes fully aware of everything gets back to Nadia...later he meets up with alt.Desmond and continues to convert the rest.

meanwhile back on the island, each of the survivors gets murdered one by one and respectively floats over to alt.World fully aware

Jack is the last to remain and still insists he is not leaving the island. MIB destroys the island , it sinks

Jack dies and xfers over to alt.Jack, he goes to Locke and explains everything... Locke comes around

most the folks reunite at an island themed party at Hurley's house, boars on the rotisserie, Kate is drunk and bopping down the soul train line and everyone is having a good time.

Cops show up,(responding to a call, and they got word that Sayid/Kate are there) their names are Det. Ford and Det. Straume... the neighbor had called and reported a noise disturnbance and reported someone that fit the discription of a male and female that escaped custody) they end up joining the party

Daniel & Charlotte show up also, eventually everyones there

the noise is getting out of hand, the neighbor shows up...it's Titus W in black pj's (brings head up slowly) he smiles and says., ahaha, i got you bitches

LOST
Old 05-09-10, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ATX
this thread didn't go well at all...

anyways, this was my ending
---

Sayid successfully transitions to alt.Sayid conciousness and becomes fully aware of everything gets back to Nadia...later he meets up with alt.Desmond and continues to convert the rest.

meanwhile back on the island, each of the survivors gets murdered one by one and respectively floats over to alt.World fully aware

Why are we still trying to cling to the "alternate timeline" theory (in terms of there being two sets of Losties in two "universes?") Even the creators came out long ago and said that there was no alternate timeline because that would suggest one was wrong and one was right. And they said that's not the case.
Old 05-09-10, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
-The smoke monster was an experiment that Hitler made Tesla create. (In a kick ass flashback, Tesla unleashes the smoke monster for the first time. It kills numerous Nazi guards until Tesla traps it behind the electric field.) Hitler abandons the island after the smoke monster incident.

-The forces of good and evil that we have seen (Locke, MiB, Jacob) are nothing but manifestations of our heroes' fears. This is attributed to the island's strong magnetic field and strange electric phenomenon. The characters are all "lost" in body, mind and spirit. It is not until they return to the island they all "see" Locke guiding them to do bad things. Locke isn't there, he is not real. Neither was Jacob. After all, why didn't we see them the other 5 seasons?
Is this how you would write it if you were on the writing staff or is this a theory based on what you have seen so far? Because I am confused...you say in one part the smoke monster is real...created by Nazis no less...but then in the next paragraph you say the MIB (who is the smoke monster) is a Fight Club type manifestation of our heroes' minds. Which could be...we've seen Hurley see things he feared and Kate's horse and other things that were on the island mysteriously.

And if they aren't real, then who was doing all the killing when Smokie/MIB was unleashing his wrath on people? Because those deaths were real.
Old 05-09-10, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by calhoun07
Is this how you would write it if you were on the writing staff or is this a theory based on what you have seen so far? Because I am confused...you say in one part the smoke monster is real...created by Nazis no less...but then in the next paragraph you say the MIB (who is the smoke monster) is a Fight Club type manifestation of our heroes' minds. Which could be...we've seen Hurley see things he feared and Kate's horse and other things that were on the island mysteriously.

And if they aren't real, then who was doing all the killing when Smokie/MIB was unleashing his wrath on people? Because those deaths were real.
Okay, I mean to clarify I would explain that the smoke monster is just that, a smoke monster and not a person, MiB, and never was.

I've been reading an article on Lost and writer Adam Horowitz stated how they wanted to personify the smoke monster as a character because "people are more interesting than objects or facts" This is simply a decision I would not have taken if I was writing for the show.

*Note The article is from the magazine "Creative Screenwriting" I highly recommend picking it up for the interviews with the Lost writers.
Old 05-09-10, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Agreed. I'm not exprecting some "holy shit" ending.
Old 05-09-10, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Lost was doomed from the start. Well ok not the start but it's just how it is when you drag something out sooooooooo damn long. There is no ending in the universe that could fulfill years of one single story line. It'd be like running into someone and them telling you a story for 5 hrs straight, after listening for that long, which no one would by the way, there is no ending that could be that would make that 5 hrs of waiting worthwhile. It's stupid lazy tv if you ask me.

It's why to me The Soprano's is the biggest joke of overrated nonsense ever on tv. It imploded in on itself after 3 yrs. The bigger joke of that show is they gave you half seasons basically years apart and that still wasn't enough time to write a storylines that made sense. And please don't get me started on that ending.

Anyway at least Lost gave full seasons, and you didn't half to wait nearly 2 yrs in between "seasons".

So the only real answer was the person who said, "3 yrs ago" that's when this show should've ended. Or at least the stupid storyline we've all been stuck in for what seems like a lifetime ago now.
Old 05-09-10, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Lemmy
This is NOT a threadcrap, just some interesting onservations about the writer of LOST.

I wasn't going to respond to this thread, as I'm not a fan of LOST at all; in fact, watching it every week grinds my nerves raw (because I'm clueless about the details of what I'm watching), so I putter around on the computer while it's on, or, burn a doobie and end up amused (mildly, very mildy) by the surreal stroyline(s)....you see, my GF watches LOST religiously. But, I'm here contributing to this thread, not to pan the show, BUT.....to warn all you fans that, if you're expecting a great ending out of LOST writer Damon Lindelof, prepare to be disappointed. I followed his work as writer on the Marvel Comics mini-series "Ultimate Hulk vs. Ultimate Wolverine". The first two issues came out rapidly, and as scheduled...the other four issues contracted? Not so much. And when Damon Lindelof FINALLY delivered the years-late scripts, they were very, very , VERY weak in resolution of plot points. The reason he was stalling on that title? LOST had been renewed and needed all his efforts...for several years, apparently, as he waited so long to complete his Marvel work that Marvel ceased to promote it as "coming soon", lol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimat..._in_the_series

The topper? The ending he wrote for Marvel was lackluster, to put it very calmly. Readers were underwhelmed, to say the least.

Pages 2 and 3 of issue #1 looked like this, but went nowhere fast:

http://api.ning.com/files/S6k9eNtVZW...rineVSHulk.jpg

....so, needeless to say, I'm betting this will end up like The Sopranos, with very few viewers being satisfied and/or happy with the ending.*

*that said, I enjoyed the ending on The Sopranos, vague though it seemed to many
Well, I've got news for you. I'm a Lost fan, and have been since day one. Why should I expect to be disappointed by the ending crafted by a writer who has yet to make me feel true disappointment? I've had one of the greatest thrill rides of my life watching this show and trust that it will have a good ending. Writing a mini-run of comic books based on some established Marvel characters is a lot different from writing an entirely new saga with Lost anyway. You should watch the show and give it a chance. It's something that is truly special, and I expect a special ending as well. One that is fitting for this show.
Old 05-09-10, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GenPion
Well, I've got news for you. I'm a Lost fan, and have been since day one. Why should I expect to be disappointed by the ending crafted by a writer who has yet to make me feel true disappointment? I've had one of the greatest thrill rides of my life watching this show and trust that it will have a good ending. Writing a mini-run of comic books based on some established Marvel characters is a lot different from writing an entirely new saga with Lost anyway. You should watch the show and give it a chance. It's something that is truly special, and I expect a special ending as well. One that is fitting for this show.
Yeah, that was kind of what I was thinking. I am sure his hands were rather tied with how far he could take well established characters in the Marvel universe. Unless he was writing a "what if" story there is only so far he can go. Any "vs." title I've read from Marvel where two mighty characters are pitted against each other always end in disappointment. The best one was a What If story from the 80's where Wolverine managed to end the fight by killing the Hulk.

OK, enough comic book fanboy stuff... It's clear that Lost has a HUGE advantage because they can do whatever they want with these characters. There is no compulsion to leave it hanging for more because the creators of the show said very plainly that Lost will end with the stories of these characters ending. They did indicate there could be more stories about the island told, but perhaps by other people, in the future.
Old 05-10-10, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We're on the beach. At the statue's foot. Looking out at the ocean we see a man in white sitting next to a bald man wearing black. They look up to see a plane breaking apart. The man in white gets up walks away and we see it's Jack. He has a smile on his face. "I'm finally going to prove you wrong." He says. The camera begins to pan around to the bald man's face and we see an angry frown. "You dick" says Dave.

Fade to black. Only instead of the usual LOST, it says: DAVE.

Originally Posted by Lemmy
This is NOT a threadcrap, just some interesting onservations about the writer of LOST.

I wasn't going to respond to this thread, as I'm not a fan of LOST at all; in fact, watching it every week grinds my nerves raw (because I'm clueless about the details of what I'm watching), so I putter around on the computer while it's on, or, burn a doobie and end up amused (mildly, very mildy) by the surreal stroyline(s)....you see, my GF watches LOST religiously. But, I'm here contributing to this thread, not to pan the show, BUT.....to warn all you fans that, if you're expecting a great ending out of LOST writer Damon Lindelof, prepare to be disappointed. I followed his work as writer on the Marvel Comics mini-series "Ultimate Hulk vs. Ultimate Wolverine". The first two issues came out rapidly, and as scheduled...the other four issues contracted? Not so much. And when Damon Lindelof FINALLY delivered the years-late scripts, they were very, very , VERY weak in resolution of plot points. The reason he was stalling on that title? LOST had been renewed and needed all his efforts...for several years, apparently, as he waited so long to complete his Marvel work that Marvel ceased to promote it as "coming soon", lol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimat..._in_the_series

The topper? The ending he wrote for Marvel was lackluster, to put it very calmly. Readers were underwhelmed, to say the least.

Pages 2 and 3 of issue #1 looked like this, but went nowhere fast:

http://api.ning.com/files/S6k9eNtVZW...rineVSHulk.jpg

....so, needeless to say, I'm betting this will end up like The Sopranos, with very few viewers being satisfied and/or happy with the ending.*

*that said, I enjoyed the ending on The Sopranos, vague though it seemed to many
Welcome to the world of Hollywood writer trying their hand at comics. Lindelof simply joins the likes of Kevin Smith and Jon Favareau. The finale may dissapoint, sure. Then again it may end brilliantly. Who knows, but I wouldn't use Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk as the yardstick and would instead look to previous episodes of LOST he's been involved in writing... which are generally pretty good in my opinion.

Last edited by ultimaton; 05-10-10 at 07:47 AM.
Old 05-10-10, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've had a theory that the plot development was due to two teams of writers that would essentially dare each other to come up with plausible explanations for the absurd insertions that the other would do and to embellish them. Designated as Team White and Team Black, if you will. And that dynamic might go something like this:

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
-It is revealed that the teleportation and time traveling on the island are attributed to Nikola Tesla doing experiments on the islands back in the 20s and 30s. Hitler and the Nazis started the Dharma Initiative.

-The smoke monster was an experiment that Hitler made Tesla create...
...in an attempt to reincarnate Jack the Ripper.

(In a kick ass flashback, Tesla unleashes the smoke monster for the first time. It kills numerous Nazi guards until Tesla traps it behind the electric field.) Hitler abandons the island after the smoke monster incident.
-Tesla knew that the magnetic properties of the island were keeping the smoke monster confined, but Tesla also realized an escape route. So, he recreated the experiment to reincarnate Alexander the Great to keep Jack the Ripper preoccupied, which is how Jacob came to exist. It was Jacob's task create a virtual Gordian Knot to keep MiB from realizing his simple, direct way out.

-It was never about the actions of people and good vs evil keeping the smoke monster trapped. That was all a distraction. A lot of people suffered because of that, but, there you go.

-The smoke monster comes to the conclusion that it will never be able to leave to the confines of the island to roam the earth again. So, it takes the last desperate move to head towards space and leave earth all together. As it ascends into the thinning atmosphere, the familiar sounds it makes grow faint, but we start to hear a couple of new sounds, almost sounding like words: "Beratis" and "Kesla".

LOST

Last edited by RKillgore; 05-10-10 at 07:28 AM.
Old 05-10-10, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

Id like to change mine

they all think they have figured out what has been going on and then another plane crashes. Jack and the others approach some of the survivors and see that it is the people from 815 flight including themselves. Hurley says "Dude!" and fade to black.