Reload this Page >

Lost will end with more questions ???

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 04-30-10, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I expect the ending will cause an uproar.

Live Feed: Hollywood Reporter
Originally Posted by Damon Lindelof
We're going to be as definitive as we can be and say this is our ending, but there's no way to end the show where the fans aren't going to say, 'What did they mean by this?' Which is why we're not going to explain it."
Old 04-30-10, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Lost will end with more questions ???

i'm still trying to fathom, even if it was their full and utter intent to leave absolutely nothing hanging and there was not the limit of having a certain number of episodes to do so, how they could possibly ensure they have every single question from their ten million regular viewers answered. Its not scientifically possible for them to even know what they are not answering.

[this statment does not take into account a number of international viewers].
Old 04-30-10, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Anyone who thought all questions would be answered with the LOST finale is delusional and needs immediate psychiatric attention.
Old 04-30-10, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Which begs the ultimate Lost question, why a new thread for this one sentence 'blurb?'

I think it was pretty much a given that they won't answer everything. I agree with DVD Josh, anyone who thought we would get an X-Files type finale where everything is just laid out on a table for the viewer to see is delusional.
Old 04-30-10, 07:39 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Obviously they need to keep some questions open for next seasons's Lost spin-off Hawaii Five-0.

Old 04-30-10, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 371 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Anyone who thought all questions would be answered with the LOST finale is delusional and needs immediate psychiatric attention.
Let's be honest though... they're probably not going to answer some major questions; thus leaving us sitting there saying "wtf?". I don't think many of us care why Jack has tattoos on his arm but they need to define what the island is and why these certain people are there (besides Jacob touching them in the past).

Few shows of significance have ended well (The Sopranos and Seinfeld come to mind... and since I haven't finished the series yet I can't comment but I've heard BSG ended oddly too).
Old 04-30-10, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Rob V
Few shows of significance have ended well (The Sopranos and Seinfeld come to mind... and since I haven't finished the series yet I can't comment but I've heard BSG ended oddly too).
Newhart ended pretty damn well.
Old 04-30-10, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts

It's just more backpedaling from the creators. I'm sure they don't even have answers for many of the questions. The simple fact is that it would have been possible using this season to wrap the story up. Instead they've decided to introduce a bunch of new characters, new concepts and retcon their past stories to try to make them all fit. They know it's a complete cluster and are just trying to lay the groundwork so they can get out of it without having to solve the problems they've created.
Old 04-30-10, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Draven
It's just more backpedaling from the creators. I'm sure they don't even have answers for many of the questions. The simple fact is that it would have been possible using this season to wrap the story up. Instead they've decided to introduce a bunch of new characters, new concepts and retcon their past stories to try to make them all fit. They know it's a complete cluster and are just trying to lay the groundwork so they can get out of it without having to solve the problems they've created.
+1

Yup -- IMO this show lost (no pun intended) its way when they decided to fuck around with time travel. The story lines have become so entwined that there's no untangling the spaghetti. And they've piled on ill-conceived mystery after ill-conceived mystery just for dramatic affect. So many that there's no way in hell they can explain everything.

So they're going to slash a knife through it all and say that's what they intended all along and it's up to us to figure out what they meant. I guess this is the nature of the TV business -- it IS just a TV show and it IS just a business. Do whatever it takes to get the show done and move on. But Jesus, what a chicken-shit cop out.
Old 04-30-10, 09:26 AM
ATX

people be bitching too much

i mean Lindelof is a pretty damn good writer

i believe they came up with an actual end game when they were doing season 4

they have admitted that they fucked up storylines along the way and had some continuity and other mistakes, but shit overall LOST has been pretty damn entertaining

alot of these so called answers people want are trivial, and what is LOST w/o wtf? moments

i think we can assume that the sunk island from the premier will be the finale; I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that instead of a corny standard happy-ending I'll say MIB gets out and the world ends, everybody dies. The End

and yeah Ilana will be swept under the rug
Old 04-30-10, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Just as long as there is an explanation for the sideways stuff and that ties in at the end I don't mind the dangling threads. That's how shows like this keep a cult following for generations to come.
Old 04-30-10, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think people need to be prepared for the eventuality that the nature of the island will probably not be definitively explained. They will probably give a vague explanation that the island has existed forever and tries to help some people discover their true selves. Jacob and the MiB may not even truly understand the exact nature of it. They may be pawns in the island's story as well.

The only proper explanation we may get is the game that Jacob and MiB are playing. The island will probably remain a mystery.
Old 04-30-10, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Palaver
I think people need to be prepared for the eventuality that the nature of the island will probably not be definitively explained.
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aPvMX6-8hMM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aPvMX6-8hMM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Check the last 20 seconds of the clip. It makes me wonder if they actually did...

And for fermions...it's an interesting read...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermion

Last edited by calhoun07; 04-30-10 at 06:41 PM.
Old 04-30-10, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Which begs the ultimate Lost question, why a new thread for this one sentence 'blurb?'
The week of the final episode, I'm guessing that the whole first page of TV Talk will be LOST threads.*

(* assumes that DJariya will be on vacation that week.)
Old 04-30-10, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

+2
The quality of the writing has declined markedly in this last season and reveals there was no "masterplan" all along, as ex-writers on Lost have repeatedly stated. People are going to be massively disappointed by the "answers" we get in the finale. Most of the solutions presented so far to these problems have shown a distinct lack of creativity from a storytelling standpoint, in contrast to earlier seasons.
Old 04-30-10, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
+2
The quality of the writing has declined markedly in this last season and reveals there was no "masterplan" all along, as ex-writers on Lost have repeatedly stated. People are going to be massively disappointed by the "answers" we get in the finale. Most of the solutions presented so far to these problems have shown a distinct lack of creativity from a storytelling standpoint, in contrast to earlier seasons.
That's because you're looking for the solutions in the wrong place. I have found this season to be quite strong and am convinced once it's all done it will prove to be a very strong season.

Granted, there are some flaws, but overall I am satisfied.
Old 05-01-10, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by calhoun07
That's because you're looking for the solutions in the wrong place. I have found this season to be quite strong and am convinced once it's all done it will prove to be a very strong season.
That's the ultimate problem with season 6 though. Ab Aeterno aside, it seems the entire season hinges on the 3 hour finale and none of the episodes stand on their own. We don't know who to root for, why to care, etc. They've done too much to keep us in the dark until those final 3 hours. It also doesn't help that there is no real protagonist anymore and half the cast are zombies at this point.
Old 05-01-10, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The thing that I like most about this show is that none of the episodes stand on their own. When I watch one season I feel like I watched one of the best long movies I've ever seen.
Old 05-01-10, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

I'd like to see a total mind-f@#$ - like the last episode of THE PRISONER or the theatrical version of TWIN PEAKS. Something so off-the-boards and confusing that fans will spend years debating it. I'm sick of finales where they try to wrap everything up in a bow (and fail 9 times out of 10).
Old 05-01-10, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
That's the ultimate problem with season 6 though. Ab Aeterno aside, it seems the entire season hinges on the 3 hour finale and none of the episodes stand on their own. We don't know who to root for, why to care, etc. They've done too much to keep us in the dark until those final 3 hours. It also doesn't help that there is no real protagonist anymore and half the cast are zombies at this point.
This has been my biggest problem with this season as well. While most of the side ways stuff have been sorta interesting in their "what if" kinda way, they really don't carry any emotional impact because we don't know how or if they connect to the main story.

And the island stuff is almost as bad. The lack of an obvious protagonist being the biggest problem. None of the main characters know what is going on and are only going through the motions because the plot demands it.
Old 05-01-10, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Jack is the obvious protagonist. Always has been. I'm not sure how this is even up for debate.

And if you view the sideways stuff as disconnected, then I don't know what to say. As far as I'm concerned they've always been connected. They almost always directly reflect themes of the on-island material, and I never saw the the X and original characters as seperate, either. They are the same people. I don't think that could be made any more obvious than by Happily Ever After.

And how are they not wrapping things up? We're getting some answers every episode. Why is introducing more characters or concepts bad? They have been leading to plenty of answers. Is it because they didn't do what you decided as good storytelling? That makes it a backpedaling cluster?

Retcon is not an accurate word to use. The story isn't finished. It's like reading a book and by the end new light is shed on previous events. It changes how we perceive them, but it isn't retroactive continuity, it's just how the story developed and information was given out. TV doesn't have the benefit of being shown all at once, and it's impossible to predict the future, so they can only account for so much. The creative process is just far more obvious in this medium.
Old 05-01-10, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

I know for a fact that they tell:
Who Jacob and MIB are.
How the Black Smoke comes about.
Who Adam and Eve are.
And tie the two timelines together.

Now, how they get there and how that will be accepted by each viewer is an unknown. I'm sure there will be questions that some feel are important left out there but overall the story in itself will be finished. Hell, every two hour movie provides some questions or areas of doubt so why can't a show with various characters and plot points have some of these left hanging? We already know that the island is more or less a cage keeping the MIB in check and away from civilization but we don't know why just yet but I'm positive we will find out.
Old 05-01-10, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

Now I've never watched an episode of Lost, and now have all of Season 1 at my disposal.

So before I begin, let me ask one question from you LOST vets: Is there an excessive amount of bubble invading in this series?
Old 05-01-10, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Now I've never watched an episode of Lost, and now have all of Season 1 at my disposal.

So before I begin, let me ask one question from you LOST vets: Is there an excessive amount of bubble invading in this series?
Watch the show as it is one of the best shows with great characters and a cool story. There are bubbles in every story and this is no exception but it is still one of the best shows that I have enjoyed in my life.
Old 05-01-10, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I'd like to see a total mind-f@#$ - like the last episode of THE PRISONER or the theatrical version of TWIN PEAKS. Something so off-the-boards and confusing that fans will spend years debating it. I'm sick of finales where they try to wrap everything up in a bow (and fail 9 times out of 10).
That's a good point. The finales that try to wrap everything up tend to piss the fans off even more because it is never satisfactory to everybody.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.