Nicollette Sheridan sues 'Housewives' producer Marc Cherry

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 04-06-10, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.usatoday.com/life/televis...-lawsuit_N.htm
Nicollette Sheridan, the actress who played a divorced real estate agent in ABC's Desperate Housewives, filed suit against the show's creator and producer alleging assault and wrongful termination.

In the lawsuit filed Monday in Los Angeles Superior Court, Sheridan claims producer Marc Cherry hit her in the face on the Wisteria Lane set in September 2008.

Sheridan had asked Cherry about a line in the script, and he "took her aside and forcefully hit her with his hand across her face and head," the suit said. After she stormed off to her trailer, he came to "beg forgiveness."

When she reported the incident to ABC, Cherry retaliated by killing off her character, Edie Britt, in the popular series, Sheridan claims.

The lawsuit seeks $20 million in sustained damages.

Calls to Cherry's company, Cherry Alley Productions, and to ABC Studios were not immediately returned Monday night.

The lawsuit, which also names ABC, accuses Cherry of creating a hostile work environment on the set and behaving aggressively and abusively toward the cast and the writers.

When Teri Hatcher, who plays Susan Meyer on the show, spoke to ABC executives about Cherry's behavior, Cherry told Sheridan, "I hope Teri Hatcher gets hit by a car and dies."

Sheridan argued that her character was one of the lead characters of the show, and was getting more airtime that season. Edie Britt is not featured in the show's opening credits.

Cherry and ABC retaliated against her by killing off her character in a car accident, the court document said.

"It is exceptionally unusual for a popular character to be killed off or written out of a television series unless the actor has requested to be released from his or her contract," is how Sheridan's lawyer sees it.
I wondered what took so long for the lawsuit until I saw her IMDB page. She hasn't exactly been working since she left the show.
Old 04-06-10, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Nicollette Sheridan sues 'Housewives' producer Marc Cherry

Originally Posted by Chew
http://www.usatoday.com/life/televis...-lawsuit_N.htm

I wondered what took so long for the lawsuit until I saw her IMDB page. She hasn't exactly been working since she left the show.
I don't think that has anything to do with it. Lawsuits take a long time to put together, especially if you want to win- because you have to make sure your evidence is air-tight. It took me close to a year to prepare a copyright infringement case, and that's not nearly as complex as what Nicollette is alleging. If anyone rushes to sue someone within a month or so of the incident, it becomes he-said /she-said because a proper investigation hasn't been conducted.

I also remember a story coming out around the time she states about her and Cherry getting into a shouting match. I think that there may be some validity to her story. I desperately miss her presence on 'Housewives'. She was the homegrown villain. Whenever things would die down a bit on the lane, she would always keep things interesting- and she would come to the rescue if someone really needed it, making Edie a complex character IMO.
Old 04-06-10, 03:01 PM

It's a shame Nicolette played such a bitchy character on the show, because people on other websites don't seem to think there's any validity to her story.

I've loved Nicolette for years. I always thought she got shafted during her time on the show. I found her to be one of the most entertaining parts of the show but she always got pushed to the background so we wouldn't miss another "Teri Hatcher falling into a bush" scene.

Marc Cherry has always annoyed me, so I could be biased, but I believe her and hope she wins without ruining any future career opportunities.
Old 04-06-10, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 192 Likes on 149 Posts

Don't know if I believe the slapping part, but the rest does sound like it could have happened, as Cherry is a notorious control freak (from what I've read anyway).
Old 04-07-10, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

She wasn't as popular of a character as she thought she was.
Old 04-07-10, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
She wasn't as popular of a character as she thought she was.
Yes she was and I remember reading after she left that he never liked her. I am glad she is fighting back.
I don't think Cherry is as talented as he thinks he is. Look at the show the last two years.
Old 04-07-10, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by riley_dude
Yes she was and I remember reading after she left that he never liked her. I am glad she is fighting back.
I don't think Cherry is as talented as he thinks he is. Look at the show the last two years.
Nope, she wasn't, not at the end. She might have started out as a popular character but she turned into an annoyed schemer at the end and most folks I know watching the show were happy to see her leave.
Old 04-07-10, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just to be clear, she didn't storm off the set or engage in a contract dispute resulting in her character's death. So I'm not quite sure where the "her character wasn't as popular as she thought she was" vibe is coming from.

And, as far as how popular (or unpopular) the character may have become, I also don't see how that is her fault, anyway. She didn't write the scripts, she performed the part as the scripts (and director) indicated. And I think she did a very good job, given what she had to work with.
Old 04-07-10, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RoboDad
Just to be clear, she didn't storm off the set or engage in a contract dispute resulting in her character's death. So I'm not quite sure where the "her character wasn't as popular as she thought she was" vibe is coming from.
So? Plenty of unpopular characters leave shows. Hell, sometimes POPULAR characters leave shows if the plotlines call for it.

At the very least, Edie's storyline had run its course. There was nothing more to tell of her.
Old 04-07-10, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RoboDad

And, as far as how popular (or unpopular) the character may have become, I also don't see how that is her fault, anyway. She didn't write the scripts, she performed the part as the scripts (and director) indicated. And I think she did a very good job, given what she had to work with.
^^ this.
Old 04-07-10, 01:32 PM

So? Plenty of unpopular characters leave shows. Hell, sometimes POPULAR characters leave shows if the plotlines call for it.

At the very least, Edie's storyline had run its course. There was nothing more to tell of her.
While I'm sure your friends mean the world to you, they aren't the world.

Edie's storyline had not run its course imo. I think this show has gotten worse with each passing season and the absence of Nicolette definitely isn't helping.
Old 04-07-10, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TwineTime
While I'm sure your friends mean the world to you, they aren't the world.

Edie's storyline had not run its course imo. I think this show has gotten worse with each passing season and the absence of Nicolette definitely isn't helping.
Fine, prove I'm wrong, since you are *so* sure.

As for the show getting worse season to season, well, that's without any argument from me.
Old 04-07-10, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And I really don't see how that comment has anything to do with what I said. You (and a few others) implied that her character was killed off because SHE (Nicolette) believed that her character (Edie) was more popular than she really was. I merely pointed out that such comments had no basis in fact, and no relevance to this discussion.

That is a matter of opinion, and one I do not share. But since you are inclined to demand evidence from others, I ask you to prove your assertion. "Since you are so sure."
Old 04-07-10, 04:21 PM

I don't agree, but if that's the case, all of the leads can go. How many times will Susan act petty and clumsy, Lynette scheme and manipulate, Gaby scheme and manipulate (yes, both characters do the same things, but in different ways)?

All of these characters have become stale and at least when Edie was around she was the force that could throw things off for a few episodes and make things interesting. I won't lie, there were times when she really got on my nerves (like when she tricked Mike into thinking that they were dating), but she would make her way back around and things would be okay again.

One trait shown that I loved about Edie was how close she was to McClusky. She was a really good friend to that lonely old woman when others used her for babysitting or errands, etc. I think the Edie character could've been explored much more.

Last edited by mraw; 04-07-10 at 11:27 PM.
Old 04-07-10, 07:52 PM

Fine, prove I'm wrong, since you are *so* sure.

As for the show getting worse season to season, well, that's without any argument from me.
The only thing I'm sure of is that your opinion isn't fact. I realize there are people who didn't like Edie. I also know she had a lot of fans.

Like mraw said, all of the housewives have their detractors. I don't care for the majority of Susan's storylines, but I'm not expecting her to be written off the show because of it. Obviously there are people who like her.

As I said earlier, the majority of responses on other blogs are people calling Nicolette a washed up old actress who's lying to get some money since she doesn't have a lot of offers coming her way.

Obviously, I don't know her personally and I wasn't involved in any of this, so I can't be sure. I just can't imagine she'd choose to go forward with something like this, knowing the damage it could do to her career, if she didn't have a leg to stand on.

I just know that I've been a fan since Knots Landing and I was really happy when she was cast on DH. I thought she was underutilized from the start. Killing her off was another in a long line of absurd decisions Cherry has made over the course of this show. I continue to watch because I love the concept and the actors involved. I just don't care for Marc Cherry's vision.
Old 04-07-10, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From what I've read over the last few years in the gossip rags/websites, I actually believe her side of the story.
Old 04-08-10, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

She had sex with Michael Bolton. Her case has no merit.
Old 04-08-10, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
That comment is almost as asinine as the behaviour of spoiler producers, directors and actors.

As Ray Romano once told an awards show assembly: quit complaining - all of you are already rich.
Old 04-08-10, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by outlander78
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
That comment is almost as asinine as the behaviour of spoiler producers, directors and actors.
Not as asinine as you not being able to detect sarcasm.
Old 04-08-10, 12:18 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

He's always come across as fairly milquetoast to me. I imagine getting slapped by him would be the equivalent of being slapped by a small child.