DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
Charlie Sheen Leaving 'Two and a Half Men'

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...ry?id=10268871
Old 04-02-10, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Charlie Sheen Leaving 'Two and a Half Men'

Not that anyone cares, but the story is Charlie Sheen , an actor of limited range/appeal/film prospects, but a fervent supporter of baby mamas, coke dealers, Colorado jails and attorney fees, is coming to the end of a contract year on show renewed through 2012, so he throws out the first salvo in contract negotiations by saying the grind of Two and A Half Laugh Tracks is too much is thinking about leaving.

Last edited by Adboy151; 04-02-10 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-02-10, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Not sure how it could go on without him. But yeah - sounds like a contract ploy.
Old 04-02-10, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If a washed up actor leaves a TV show that no one watches is anyone going to give a shit? You know the old saying, if a tree falls in the forest...
Old 04-02-10, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mdc3000
If a washed up actor leaves a TV show that no one watches is anyone going to give a shit? You know the old saying, if a tree falls in the forest...
I don't watch the show, but if I'm not mistaken it's the highest rated comedy out right now.
Old 04-02-10, 11:28 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

It's a fucking shame that this piece of dogshit show is watched by more people than "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" and "30 Rock" combined.
Old 04-02-10, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

I think Sunny is just as lowbrow as Men, but I watch Men because it's funny.
30 rock should be the comedy with the highest ratings.
Old 04-02-10, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mdc3000
Yeah unfortunately the show is crazy popular.
Banned

He says he wants a challenge? So beating your wife, getting arrested and keeping a job isnt challenging enough?
DVD Talk God

I figured it wouldn't take too many posts before someone ripped on the show.

I enjoy it myself and yet I also enjoy the so-called 'smarter' comedies.
Old 04-02-10, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

My favorite comment from another board: "If Charlie Sheen leaves, they can just change the name to 'Two Men'".
Old 04-02-10, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think he needs this show as much as it needs him.
Old 04-02-10, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn, beat me to it...

Old 04-02-10, 12:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by arminius
Agree. The show is what keeps him stable. Without the show, I fear that he may be in danger of having his personal life spiral out of control.
Old 04-02-10, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by arminius
Good point.
Old 04-02-10, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
30 rock should be the comedy with the highest ratings.
Low brow has nothing to do with it, low brow is fine when done right, imo - Sunny does it right, 2.5 has yet to even get close.

30 Rock, Modern Family, The Office, It's Always Sunny..., Better Off Ted, and numerous others should all be pulling higher ratings than Two and a Half Men.

Now that I've done my typical two and half bashing, I don't think he'll leave for another season or two. That said once he's done with working regularly, I'll be amused to see how we end up hearing about him in the news.

Last edited by RichC2; 04-02-10 at 01:50 PM.
Old 04-02-10, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by MWB
Agree. The show is what keeps him stable. Without the show, I fear that he may be in danger of having his personal life spiral out of control.
Yeah, because it's in such good shape right now.
Old 04-02-10, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Probably just a negotiating tactic, unless he is considering time-off in order to take care of things at home.

Just replace him with Emilio Estevez, retitle it One and a Half Men, and move on.
Old 04-02-10, 01:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Yeah, because it's in such good shape right now.
Spoiler:
(That was the joke.)
Old 04-02-10, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The reasons as to why Sheen can leave so easily is:

1. His contract expires after this season.
2. He doesn't have any other vested interest in the show (he's not a producer).

WB offered him $1 million+ per episode for two more years.

Warner Bros and CBS think it's just a negotiating ploy because his contract ends this season, which is the hit sitcom's 7th year. But Warner Bros has a contract with CBS that goes for another 2 years. And neither the studio nor the network want the consistent Top 10 (and often Top 5) rated show to lose its bad boy star or go off the air. So Charlie Sheen is sitting in the proverbial catbird seat -- if he wants to continue on Two And A Half Men. Which today is a big if. People broke the story today that Sheen is telling friends he's "just done" and won't do another season on the show. "Charlie is aware of what the friends said about him, and he hasn't called his publicist to deny it," an insider tells me. "But this has to reach some resolution soon or else the show is 'One And A Half Men'".

"This was news to us," a CBS source tells me. "He has been negotiating a new deal with Warner Bros which produces the show. But, he hasn't quit to the studio or the producers. So, this very well could be a negotiating tactic." Inside Warner Bros, the bigwigs there think it's all negotiation, too. I'm told that Warner Bros last month put a "nice offer" on the table for Sheen to continue for another 2 years: more than $1 million per episode. He's already the highest paid actor per episode on television but he has no equity position in the show. On the other hand, Warner Bros sealed a fat syndication deal with FX that starts in September. So no one has to take up a collection for Charlie if he quits the show this month.

Sheen has been shooting Two And A Half Men even though he checked into Malibu Promises for rehab on February 24th and remains there even now. Tonight, Sheen et al are completing the series' 21st episode and are contractually supposed to do 24 total to finish out this season. "But if everyone agrees to do 22 episodes, then that's it," the insider told me. Meanwhile, Charlie gets out of rehab next week.

By the way, remember when WME and Sheen last October parted ways after he asked his entire entertainment team to cut commissions, and the actor was supposedly heading to CAA? He never landed.
http://www.deadline.com/2010/04/is-c...de/#more-30468

If WB/CBS were smart about it (assuming Sheen really wants to leave), they'd talk him into a shortened season. I'm sure they could debut a new season in January/February, run about 13-16 episodes, and still bring in the ratings.

Last edited by DGibFen; 04-02-10 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04-02-10, 04:03 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
Sunny is probably the most lowbrow show on television. Possibly ever. But it's also hilarious.
Old 04-02-10, 04:48 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Sunny is probably the most lowbrow show on television. Possibly ever. But it's also hilarious.
Not to get too deep here, but these posts have made me try to figure out why so many people hate 'lowbrow' shows like Two and a Half Men but praise shows like It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

It's probably just a quality thing. Sunny has brilliant writing, and 2.5 less so, in some of our opinions. But maybe it's more than that.

In my mind, fwiw, I think part of it is that I don't like my lowbrow humor to be aimed at the general public, and especially kids. Sunny is more purposely over-the-top, and not trying to set itself up as a way for real people to act and live. 2.5 is not as over-the-top, more 'aimed at kids' in my mind at least, and therefore it bothers me that our kids are growing up on this cheap crude humor.

Am I making any sense?
Old 04-02-10, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

It's Always Sunny isn't as broad as Two and a Half Men --

Two and a Half Men's approach to getting laughs - make an general / broad observation using sexual, or sexually suggestive, terms - wait for laugh.

Charlie: And here's another fun fact. I'll bet she's had sex with more girls than you too.
Alan: (scoffs again, and again does the math and smiles) That is a fun fact!

Sunny - Argue over something ridiculous using even more ridiculous, mean logic. You either laugh or you don't.

Is this what you wanted? You just gave this baby full blow AIDS!

Plus the delivery in Two and Half is just painful.

Last edited by RichC2; 04-02-10 at 05:01 PM.
Old 04-04-10, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2
It's Always Sunny isn't as broad as Two and a Half Men --

Two and a Half Men's approach to getting laughs - make an general / broad observation using sexual, or sexually suggestive, terms - wait for laugh.

Charlie: And here's another fun fact. I'll bet she's had sex with more girls than you too.
Alan: (scoffs again, and again does the math and smiles) That is a fun fact!

Sunny - Argue over something ridiculous using even more ridiculous, mean logic. You either laugh or you don't.

Is this what you wanted? You just gave this baby full blow AIDS!

Plus the delivery in Two and Half is just painful.
I would sure like to know how you knew about that that (admittedly) juvenile quip from this show you so hate. I assume you will retort that you happened to be channel-surfing at the time during a commercial break given your disdain for the show. Right

The Sunny comparison is quite comical as they are both lewd. I like both shows as I now must defend the taint of America's television show.... 'Men'

I did not like this show when it first came out. I thought it fell flat on it's face.

Due to my personal situations I started to identify with particulars being a single dad and dealing with a Judith. I brought my brother in my house after a divorce and he got back on his feet. My brother and I shared a bit of Alan and Charlie each.

There has been mention that Judith is an exaggerated character and maybe so. Trust me as I have to deal with a similar ex who's first name shares the letter J, I get the humor as over the top as it is.

The show has hit its plateau a long time ago. Charlie and Alan are getting too old to continue on. Chelsea is the nail in the coffin.

The DVD sets will be been purchased and I'm OK if it ends.

This debate that Sunny is above Men is laughable. I choose to enjoy both as it's only 30 minutes out of your life either way. Pretty hard to use the 'I invested too much' excuse in these scenarios.
Old 04-04-10, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by DGibFen
WB offered him $1 million+ per episode for two more years.
It astounds me that this guy can make in about 20 hours what most people can't make in 20 years, in a job that requires him to only act like himself... and be dissatisfied doing so.

And this isn't "Seinfeld", where the characters make the show, this is broad, comfortable comedy with a few people reading the same lines year after year and being showered in love and money for it. You could replace Sheen with Andy Richter and it would still be popular, it's that bulletproof.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.