Psych -- "Mr. Yin Presents..." -- 3/10/10

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 03-10-10, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spoiler:
Mr. Yang makes good on her promise to return, and this time she's in a cinematic frame of mind as she tests Shawn's knowledge of Hitchcock films and lore in return for clues to the puzzle she's set.
Old 03-10-10, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Psych -- "Mr. Yin Presents..." -- 3/10/10

Season finale = 4 months of no new Psych.
Old 03-10-10, 12:32 PM

Can't believe it's already the finale. This seems like it'll be a good episode. Hope it's as good as the last Mr Yang one anyway.
Old 03-10-10, 10:31 PM

Halfway through, good episode so far.
Old 03-10-10, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good episode.

So what was the picture at the end? Yang and?
Old 03-10-10, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It looked like a picture of Yang and young Shawn.

I miss Abigail already.
Old 03-10-10, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
It looked like a picture of Yang and young Shawn.

I miss Abigail already.
I thought that's who it was.

I was figuring Yin was just going to take his hat and mask off for a big reveal. Guess that has to wait till summer.
Old 03-10-10, 11:09 PM

You know, I thought it was young Shaun at first but that doesn't make much sense.

I think its episodes like this one and last year's finale thats why I haven't liked Psych as much as I have recently. They're well written and acted and played more straight than most of the episodes in the second half of this season that I get annoyed at the arrogant and obnoxiousness of Shaun. I think that came out right.
Old 03-10-10, 11:12 PM

I'm really gonna miss Mary. He had some great lines tonight too like "I'd buy that doll."
Old 03-10-10, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bmoney1023 View Post
I'm really gonna miss Mary. He had some great lines tonight too like "I'd buy that doll."
I like that he actually did make the hat out of the twenty for the mouse

They should have kept him around until the Yin storyline was finished. Somebody got the last pic up pretty quickly.

http://twitpic.com/17ufjv
Old 03-10-10, 11:52 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I do slightly prefer the more serious episodes of Psych like tonight's great one, but would really miss the 'obnoxious' ones if they went away.
Old 03-11-10, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I do slightly prefer the more serious episodes of Psych like tonight's great one, but would really miss the 'obnoxious' ones if they went away.
I agree. I just dont like when the obnoxiuosness goes overboard.
Old 03-11-10, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I just watched the episode again. I'm almost certain the photo is meant to be a young Shawn. Also, given how Mr. Yin seemed to be taking in the sight of Shawn up close when they faced each other on the pier, how Mr. Yin gently caressed the image of the boy (whom I suspect is a young Shawn) in the photo, and how we hear Mr. Yang's voiceover during the final scene, I believe we're meant to believe Mr. Yin and Mr. Yang are Shawn's parents (or at least they seem to believe they are).

Has there ever been any hint in this show about Shawn possibly being adopted?
Old 03-11-10, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I just watched the episode again. I'm almost certain the photo is meant to be a young Shawn. Also, given how Mr. Yin seemed to be taking in the sight of Shawn up close when they faced each other on the pier, how Mr. Yin gently caressed the image of the boy (whom I suspect is a young Shawn) in the photo, and how we hear Mr. Yang's voiceover during the final scene, I believe we're meant to believe Mr. Yin and Mr. Yang are Shawn's parents (or at least they seem to believe they are).

Has there ever been any hint in this show about Shawn possibly being adopted?
I don't think that's the case. Yang has made too many sexual overtones to Shawn for her to believe she's his mother. I think it was done more to show that they encountered Shawn at an early age and deemed him a worthy adversary even then for his keen skills of observation.
Old 03-11-10, 05:44 AM

So it was Ally SHeedy with young Shawn right? Thats what I assumed

I was hoping when they showed the dude it would be Anthony Michael Hall. That would be the shit!
Old 03-11-10, 10:39 AM

I absolutely loved this episode. Very intense.

I was hoping that we would find out who Yang was, but I'm ok waiting until net season.
Old 03-11-10, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I didn't think it was intense so much but I did enjoy it a good deal, the recreations of the Hitchcock scenes were fun.

I also prefer the more serious eps -- they're fun, quirky characters, more so when they're on a little bit of a leash and more when the episode itself plays it straight.

Last edited by RichC2; 03-11-10 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-11-10, 12:02 PM

The opening scenes were incredibly well-directed...I'm a sucker for badass crane shots.

Also, nice to see our predictions of Henry taking the job came to fruition. Seeing Henry with some actual influence over Shawn and a damper on his requisite asininity will be quite the treat next season.
Old 03-11-10, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, Henry finally taking the job was great. I also like the final scene with Jules and Lassy.
Old 03-11-10, 04:37 PM

Oh, I forgot. Also nice to see Shawn get dumped. If he dumped his girlfriend, it would look bad for him to go after Jules, but if he gets dumped for a 'questionable' reason, we can still empathize with him.
Old 03-11-10, 04:45 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I also like the final scene with Jules and Lassy.
That was a well done scene.
Originally Posted by DarkestPhoenix View Post
Oh, I forgot. Also nice to see Shawn get dumped. If he dumped his girlfriend, it would look bad for him to go after Jules, but if he gets dumped for a 'questionable' reason, we can still empathize with him.
True, and even though we knew it would happen, him not being the bad guy in losing her and ending up with Jules, it was believably done.

The more I think about it, the more I think the show could really survive, and maybe even thrive if it was always done with this serious tone. Just as long as they keep all the pop culture references and quirkiness/humor. I think this episode did a great job of being hilarious, but quite serious in tone. Maybe a bit more humor would be better, and obviously you couldn't have every episode quite this grim.

But they need to keep making Lassiter and the others more human and capable of greatness, and Shawn more capable of mistakes.

The episodes where Lassiter is a complete buffoon and Shawn is infallible are the worst ones.
Old 03-11-10, 04:57 PM

I agree, Trevor. Lassiter becomes a much more worthy foil for Shawn when he himself is competent and extremely intelligent. This makes Shawn that much better, too, in their professional competitiveness. Making one of them a complete moron makes them both look incredibly stupid when one gets the better of the other.
Old 03-11-10, 05:54 PM

Enjoyed this episode tremendously. Yet another great season finale. It sets up some interesting story developments for the new season this summer. Sad to see Mary go, but they could really string this along well. I wonder if they'll wrap it up soon next season or keep it going.

I find I like these episodes more, but they still need the more outrageous ones to make these more special, I think. I agree with Geddlo, too. Shawn is just fine, as long as the obnoxiousness doesn't go too far. This season seemed to bring more overboard than before. (Or it could be I'm just getting old(er).)
Old 03-11-10, 06:14 PM

I enjoyed this episode as well. I just don't buy the photo in the last scene. Henry has been training Shawn to pick up on any and all clues since he was a little boy, and I don't think that Shawn would have taken a picture with Yang and not remember doing so, especially after spending so much time with her after she was caught. I'm interested in finding out what's going on there, but like Palaver, it's not going to drive me crazy waiting until summer to find out. I wonder if they plan on stretching this premise out through several episodes next season...
Old 03-11-10, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Shawn would remember meeting Yang previously. If they say he doesn't and then all of a sudden remembers sometime next season that would seem like bad writing to me.

But the voice over at the end made it sound like they've met before. Can't wait to see how they resolve this storyline.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.