Coming up Next on .......

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 02-22-10, 10:17 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have we that short of an attention span that we need to see what's coming up next on a show to keep us engaged?

I don't watch shows live, so I don't sit through commercials, and thusly the coming up next is wasted on me.

Similarly shows and I'll point to one on HGTV (House Hunters_ does recaps of what you saw in the first 5 mins after it comes back from commercial!
Old 02-22-10, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Coming up Next on .......

Funny, I was just thinking about this the other day.

I hate when DEA (Spike TV) does the "coming up" segment before each commercial break.
Old 02-22-10, 11:13 PM

Some shows are maybe 15 minutes of actual substance, 5 minutes of recap, and 10 minutes of commercials. I can skip the first 25 minutes of most HGTV shows and still get a good idea of the content of the episode!

Numbers can be especially annoying with previews that air during the episode. They work incredibly hard to build up suspense, and then tease the next segment- where we see the bad guy in handcuffs being taken away. It's ridiculous, and we've learned to be quick with the ff button if we sense that a commercial is approaching.
Old 02-22-10, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Judge Judy is like this. I love the show, but the first 2 minutes are wasted on opening sequences and a summary of the case, there's a teaser at each break for "coming up next," the second case has a summary and they have comments from the litigants after their cases--all of this can be skipped. All in all, I can watch an episode of Judge Judy in 18 minutes or less.
Old 02-23-10, 01:15 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Celebrity Rehab does this extensively. They pretty much 'spoil' the entire episode throughout the episode. I don't get the point.... are people really thinking, "Well, I was about to stop watching but since I see *this* is coming up I'll stick around!" Especially since much of the same footage was already shown at the beginning of the episode.
Old 02-23-10, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy View Post
Have we that short of an attention span that we need to see what's coming up next on a show to keep us engaged?
Yes.

You're just noticing this now? News and entertainment shows having doing "teases" forever, why the sudden outrage?
Old 02-23-10, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Renee View Post
Some shows are maybe 15 minutes of actual substance, 5 minutes of recap, and 10 minutes of commercials. I can skip the first 25 minutes of most HGTV shows and still get a good idea of the content of the episode!
This is the answer. Project Runway, My Life on the D-List and Top Chef are all equally notorious for this. It is essentially "filler" to pad out the show to an hour. Top Chef even has this 30 second scene in the 2nd half hour that looks like real content but is essentially an outtake scene that is more filler to let them essentially have a double-length commercial break.
Old 02-23-10, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Renee View Post
Numbers can be especially annoying with previews that air during the episode. They work incredibly hard to build up suspense, and then tease the next segment- where we see the bad guy in handcuffs being taken away. It's ridiculous, and we've learned to be quick with the ff button if we sense that a commercial is approaching.
This has always baffled me. They always show some pivotal upcoming scene.
Old 02-23-10, 10:23 AM

They should start doing this on Lost.
Old 02-23-10, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dramas in the 70s and 80s frequently did this.
Old 02-23-10, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
They should start doing this on Lost.
Rumor has it that they're doing a whole series of these on the final show, expecting viewers to then go back and put them in chronological order throughout the series.

Last edited by JuryDuty; 02-23-10 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-23-10, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Dramas in the 70s and 80s frequently did this.
<html>
These questions -- and many others --

will be answered in the next episode of

SOAP.

</html>
Old 02-23-10, 11:34 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was one of the reasons I stopped watching Leverage
Old 02-23-10, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy View Post
It was one of the reasons I stopped watching Leverage
I've seen every episode of Leverage (ugh) and can't recall this happening even once.
Old 02-23-10, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Biggest Loser is the worst offender of this...
Old 02-23-10, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I love Chef Challenge on Food Network. That's the show where the people make crazy cakes. However, the show shows previews every segment, before commercial, about what's going to happen in the next segment. Shit is so unnecessary.
Old 02-23-10, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom View Post
Biggest Loser is the worst offender of this...
Reality shows are the worst offender of this...
Old 02-23-10, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think some people are confused about what is being discussed. I don't think the OP is talking about previews at the end of an episode for the next episode but rather the "reality" shows that do the "coming up (after the commercial) on [the show you're watching]..." and then they essentially show you clips of just about all the things that will happen when they come back from commercial through to the next commercial. Real World DC is another prime offender.
Old 02-23-10, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by rfduncan View Post
I think some people are confused about what is being discussed. I don't think the OP is talking about previews at the end of an episode for the next episode but rather the "reality" shows that do the "coming up (after the commercial) on [the show you're watching]..."
Yeah. But it's not just reality shows that do this. Numb3rs doesn't even mention "Coming up next". They just show a brief clip of an upcoming scene right before they switch to commercial. It's like an instant spoiler. You might see a guy that you don't even know is a bad guy in a shoot out with the FBI. I can't fathom why they do this.
Old 02-24-10, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Yeah, House Hunters does waste a ton of time for a 30 minute show.

Wrestling does the same thing. They not only have the coming up next part, which makes sense to tease the audience, they have extensive recaps and replays of what just happened right before the commercial break, as if someone watching it forgot within the 3 or 4 minute commercial the event that just occurred. Then they show it again later.
Old 02-24-10, 09:23 PM
Political Exile

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

VH1 reality shows are horrendous for this. They will show 15 seconds of the next segment, go to commercial, and then rewind 5 seconds when the show comes back.

I am watching it streaming! I'm going to stick around so stop spoiling the next scenes you rotten motherfuckers.
Old 02-24-10, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It has become really annoying on BBC America. For a drama now, they will play a pivotal upcoming scene before each commercial break. One of the most frustrating things as a viewer to skip, even on a DVR. These clips reveal major plot elements. I suspect it has to do with padding to fill the slot out.
Old 02-24-10, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What's worse is when they actually repeat the last 10 seconds or so of what JUST HAPPENED right before the break. Even some drama shows do this, I remember Heroes season 1 had this, but with slightly altered dialogue, as if the scene were any different...
Old 02-25-10, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
VH1 reality shows are horrendous for this. They will show 15 seconds of the next segment, go to commercial, and then rewind 5 seconds when the show comes back.

I am watching it streaming! I'm going to stick around so stop spoiling the next scenes you rotten motherfuckers.
Sounds like the producers of these shows need a TV workshop in "teasing, not telling".
Old 02-25-10, 02:39 PM
Suspended

More times than not, at least with me, shows end up shooting themselves in the foot with this one.

I get the gist of what the show's going to be about, then change the channel. Why bother watching when the whole episode was just laid out for me?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.