TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Howard Stern vs Late night hosts.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-10, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Howard Stern vs Late night hosts.

Originally Posted by whoopdido
Any why do you think he's trying to leverage against Sirius? He's had a long career. He has a lot of money and he doesn't need to do anything anymore, but at the same time it's hard to just give it up, especially when he's still very popular. I don't blame him for not knowing what he's going to do next year. He doesn't even need to make a decision for a while still. I don't think this has anything to do with Sirius. Him talking about "fixing" Idol is simply good radio. Maybe he'll resign and maybe he won't, but I personally don't think this Idol talk has anything to do with it.
Cause there are no other satellite companies that he can pit against each other to keep his price tag remotely near what he got originally from Sirius. That deal doesn't benefit them. Without another satellite company he is reaching into terrestrial and now American Idol to try and make it seem like there is a market for him. There is no way the guy goes back to terrestrial. None. But he has to put it out there to get morons in the media talking about him again. That's the same thing he did with Idol.

And he has to decide relatively soon since the contract is up at the end of the year. He is just putting pieces together to try and get one last big score.
Old 02-08-10, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could very well be right.

I'm a big fan of Howard, but he does irritate me at times. I wish he would be a little more forthcoming with his plans. Even Gary today was all in a stink because he just wants to know what's going to happen. I don't blame him because he'll need to find another job if Howard quits. Same for all the people there. I'm sure Robin is fine financially based on what I've heard she makes, but even still...just because you have a lot of money doesn't mean that you still don't need to continue earning money to keep up your lifestyle. People like Gary and Fred, Scott the Engineer and all the other behind the scenes people, again only from what I've heard, are far from rich and won't be able to just retire along with Howard if he decides to hang it up.

Of course this could all just be for the listeners benefit and maybe things have been discussed, but Howard can't just up and quit at the end of the year without letting everybody know.

All that said, I guess I still don't get why Howard would be pulling out all the stops to box Sirius into a corner to get another massive contract. He already got his huge one and there's no way the next one would be anywhere near the last one just because Sirius isn't as valuable a company as it once was. He already has a ton of money and if he resigns, he'll get a nice chunk of change, but it won't be massive like his first contract, so what's the point? He either wants to keep going or he doesn't. Personally I don't see money as a HUGE factor. I'm not naive enough to think that money has zero bearing, but I think it comes down to whether or not he wants to keep doing his show or not.
Old 02-08-10, 11:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steam
Yet more of his shtick, the "I invented everything" routine. He takes credit for The Osbournes as well. Its odd that for a guy who is such a visionary that he stole a bit from another radio show this past week.
Maybe because he had Ozzy and his entire family on his show all the time for years and at one point said, "you should have a camera crew follow you around, I know I would watch it." Sharon and Ozzy fully admit that Howard was where the seed of the idea came from for the show. They are friends.

Where Howard has a problem is when someone blatantly steals an idea and won't admit it. Usually a former employee. For years, they played various games/contests on air including: Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader?, Homeless Trivia (same as Jaywalking), Bands/people doing outrageous things to get their songs/plugs on the air. Bands/Comedians competing for money/prizes. Guess Who's The Jew (now on TMZ).

He's not making this shit up. Nearly every game he's come up with that's not completely filthy has been taken by some intern or other staff member and slightly tweaked for another huge show.

He probably could win in a lawsuit against these shows but he doesn't have the drive to go through with what needs to happen.
Old 02-09-10, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
that's very misleading. he neither confirmed nor denied that they had talked to him. he then proceeded to talk about how he would change the show for an hour.
And I doubt he will confirm or deny the rumors, at least for now. It's free publicity for his show/name and all he has to do is nothing. This is better than any commercial for Sirius and it's free. Him and Simon have probably talked and laughed about the whole thing by now.

I know there's no chance that he will join American Idol, but I like to think that this might bring him to do a guest spot for a night.

Last edited by dino88; 02-09-10 at 06:23 AM.
Old 02-09-10, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by Steam
Yet more of his shtick
sort of like you here?