TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Lost: The Final Season -- Season Premiere -- "LA X Part 1&2" -- 02/02/10

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-10, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Lost: The Final Season -- Season Premiere -- "LA X Part 1&2" -- 02/02/10

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
I know. When they brought Sayid into that pool, I was just screaming at the TV, waiting for one of the Losties to ask "What are they doing?"
I wasn't wondering at all- it was obvious that the hourglass was timing the amount of time the pool needed to "work."

Sayid was pretty much dead, Jack couldn't save him. Undead Jacob tells Hurley to take them to the temple. They almost get shot, then Hurley mentions the guitar case, and the temple dude cracks it open and does his "Great Karnack" impression.

I would pretty much be letting these people do what they need to do to save Sayid - and, even if I didn't trust them, he was not savable by Jack anyway, so why not just them them try?
Old 02-03-10, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plus they did mention the risks involved.
Old 02-03-10, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Edit: Nevermind.

Last edited by Mordred; 02-03-10 at 01:40 PM.
Old 02-03-10, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
My guess is that Jacob and "Esau" both have the ability to "Smoke Out", and that depending on the appearance of the smoke monster in the show thus far it could be either one.
I remember some speculation a while back that there were actually two different "monsters" on the island, one black the other white.

We never actually saw what Locke saw back in "Walkabout" in season one when he first encountered the "monster." He didn't react like he was seeing a big clould of black smoke.

Why was there a ring of ash around Jacob's cabin? To keep something out, or keep something in? Was it really Jacob's cabin? The brief appearance back in season three looked more like "Esau" than Jacob.
Old 02-03-10, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mordred
I'd like to point out that a Hydrogen Bomb did NOT go off at the end of last season. If you watch the first 15 minutes of last season's finale, Sayid dismantles the bomb and mentions that he's just taking the detonator which "should be enough". Not that it explains how Juliette could survive or anything, but an atomic bomb was not detonated (which would explain why the submerged island still had standing buildings).
Did you forget about the plutonium core?
Old 02-03-10, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Regarding the pool, something was obviously wrong/different with it. I got the impression that the Last Samurai was expecting his hand to be healed after he cut it. They also didn't look like they thought Sayid was going to die, so I do think they were surprised when he suddenly sat up... which doesn't contradict Richard's shock at Locke being alive.
Old 02-03-10, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pinata242
Did you forget about the plutonium core?
Apparently so.
Old 02-03-10, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GoaRzEMpya0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GoaRzEMpya0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
Old 02-03-10, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Just to refresh my memory, what was the loophole that allowed TMIB to kill Jacob? Using someone else to do it?

I remember my coworkers joking about how quick fake Lock kicked Jacob into the fire... was the deal that he couldn't be the one to kill Jacob?
Old 02-03-10, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

So they both hop in a small space that's going to present security with nice big close-ups of their faces on tape? I doubt they'd either one think that way. I think the writers just wanted a scene with the two of them together, having them in an elevator occurred to someone and they went with it without giving it a ridiculous amount of thought. Like I said, it's really nitpicky, it just jumped out at me due to how much I travel.
Old 02-03-10, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Artman
Just to refresh my memory, what was the loophole that allowed TMIB to kill Jacob? Using someone else to do it?

I remember my coworkers joking about how quick fake Lock kicked Jacob into the fire... was the deal that he couldn't be the one to kill Jacob?
We don't know the rules, let alone the loophole.
Old 02-03-10, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Flave
I don't think we're dealing with alternate realities. (I haven't read the whole thread so forgive me if this has already been discussed.)

Juliette's "last words" were "it worked". The bomb reset the timeline so they never crashed on the island in 2004. I think what's happening now is that Lost is back to doing flashbacks again. The events of the no-crash crowd are taking place in 2004 and the events of the island crowd is taking place in 2007 (today?). Notice that no one on the island is talking about the original crash or the bomb. And when Miles tells Sawyer Juliette's last words, he seems more confused than anything. What "worked"? Also, Juliette fell into a deep, deep hole in last year's finale but there she was close to the surface last night. Why? Because in this timeline, they never dug the hole that punctured the EM pocket. Thus no need for Desmond to be at the console for the 108 minute countdown. Thus Desmond was on the flight after finishing his race. Thus no crash of 815.

It's my opinion that the flashbacks are now going to tell the story of how the Losties still manage to get on the island without the 815 crash. And the island story (based on the new circumstances under which they came to the island) will progress to the finale to reveal what the island and Jacob/Smokie are all about.

And by having them end up on the island again the writers are revisiting the pervasive Lost theme of destiny and free-will.

you should watch it again....a few of them mentioned the nuke and how it sent them back to 2007.

Last edited by LeeVing; 02-03-10 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02-03-10, 01:43 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Probably brought up...but dont have the time to look through 17 pages... OK. So plane time is 2004, of course. Back on the island they get blown from 1977 to 2007, present time in Lost world. If they island is sunk in 2004, how is it above water in 2007 time?
Old 02-03-10, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

A few thoughts:

1. Are we sure that the bomb really did explode? Could have been a fake-out, and the white flash was actually a time-flash. That would mean that the "alternate" timeline we're seeing was caused by something else.

2. Richard mentioned that he watched the '77 crew die. That's pretty definitive wording from him, like he was there and watched them die. Did he just mean in the Swan detonation, or something else?

3. What about Ji-Yeon and Charlie Hume? The timeline reset means that these two kids probably won't be born. So the Jin and Sun on the island have, for all intents and purposes, lost their child. And Jin was shooting blanks, so they won't be able to conceive off-island.

4. What about Rose and Bernard? Presumably they would have time-jumped back to the present with everyone else. They were alive and healthy last time we saw them, so they probably didn't end up as the "Adam and Eve" skeletons in the cave, as an anagram hinted.
Old 02-03-10, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

My problem with last night is probably a small one. But Sayid was shot last season and they seemingly did everything imaginable to ignore him. The went to the constructions site, Jack vs. Sawyer 1, shot out, indecent, flash, dig out Juliet, have Jin run back and forth to the van, have the van drive over with the chains, stand around and have another discussion and then finally carry him to the temple.

Seems like they just let him lay there dying for several hours.
Old 02-03-10, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
We don't know the rules, let alone the loophole.
I think we do know what the rule is. They can't kill each other. If that's the case the loophole is some one else can kill either one of them.
Old 02-03-10, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think there's far more to it than that. I highly doubt anyone can just walk up and kill either of them. There has to be motivation and reason. I think Fake Locke having the "Why wouldn't you want to kill Jacob" conversation with Ben has a lot to do with it.
Old 02-03-10, 02:01 PM

Jack couldnt save Sayid, but he claims he can make Locke walk again.
Old 02-03-10, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
A few thoughts:

1. Are we sure that the bomb really did explode? Could have been a fake-out, and the white flash was actually a time-flash. That would mean that the "alternate" timeline we're seeing was caused by something else.
This was my thought as well.
Old 02-03-10, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman

I think that only the leader of the others or richard, is aloud to visit Jacob. Therefore either one of Jacobs visitors will be friendly. Since the smoke monster has been planning this for a long time, he found someone who he could manipulate (Locke), he allowed that person he was manipulating to become the leader of the others by making him feel like he was talking to Jacob, then locke was killed, brought back to the island, and then copied by the smoke monster. Now he can manipulate Ben to kill Jacob for him since it is probably against the rules for him to do it himself.
Old 02-03-10, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Why was there a ring of ash around Jacob's cabin? To keep something out, or keep something in? Was it really Jacob's cabin? The brief appearance back in season three looked more like "Esau" than Jacob.
When the Ajira people saw that there was a break in the ring of ash last season, I thought the exact same thing! The ring was there to keep Esau trapped inside the cabin. When they saw the tapestry of the statue,they knew he was on his way to hurt Jacob. When Locke asked Richard to take him to Jacob, they never went to a cabin. He lead them straight to the statue.

Also, until I came here to read the threads, I though MIB/Locke turned into the scarab that the guy picked up so that Smokie couldn't detect him when it was down there exterminating all of the "threats" to the island. :-) I guess it was just his exoskeleton from when he transformed. :-)
Old 02-03-10, 02:13 PM
Banned

I don't know if it has been mention before, but i found the cameos of Frogurt and Arzt hillarious.
Old 02-03-10, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And who said "Help me" to Locke back? Was it Jacob, or Esau? Recent events would point to it actually being Esau.

And what about Ben? If it really was Esau that Locke met back in the cabin, did Ben think he really was taking him to see Jacob? Or has Esau been playing Ben, all along?

Hopefully all of these pieces will start to make sense.
Old 02-03-10, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dex14
Probably brought up...but dont have the time to look through 17 pages... OK. So plane time is 2004, of course. Back on the island they get blown from 1977 to 2007, present time in Lost world. If they island is sunk in 2004, how is it above water in 2007 time?
Wow, you really haven't read the rest of the thread. You might want to try that.

Short answer: the present time island is actually an alien spaceship, and it has clones on it.
Old 02-03-10, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From another forum, some details about the NC timeline or whatever:

Very interesting no? Some other interesting notes that may or may not have been mentioned:

-Hurley considering himself lucky and being involved with the chicken business
-Sawyer not going for the easy con (As you stated)
-The stewardess handing Jack only 1 bottle of vodka instead of 2
-No Charlie walking briskly down the aisle pre-turbulence
-Rose\Jack dialogue reversal
-Kate's Marshall guy Edward getting the exact same cut on his head from Kate as he did when the plane crashed and his briefcase hit him
-Kate getting some sort of coy interactions with both Jack and Sawyer
-Kate ending up in an intense situation with Claire
-Sun not speaking English when prompted with perfect scenario to do so
-Jack\Locke meeting on good terms

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.