TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Lost: The Final Season -- Season Premiere -- "LA X Part 1&2" -- 02/02/10

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-10, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Lost: The Final Season -- Season Premiere -- "LA X Part 1&2" -- 02/02/10

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Are you serious? What good does it matter who wins if you are dead?
I am just stating the obvious, regardless of Bram's outcome, all he said was that he was on the side that was going to win.
Old 02-06-10, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

No one has ever died for a cause before.
Old 02-06-10, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dare you to say this in the presence of family members of someone who died on Omaha Beach.
Old 02-06-10, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
I dare you to say this in the presence of family members of someone who died on Omaha Beach.
Wow! People comparing a TV show to WW2.
Old 02-06-10, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dino88
No one has ever died for a cause before.
And what cause would that be exactly? Do you know if Jacob is even really the good guy? Using the half-ass logic above (WW2 references) what if Jacob is really the Hitler of the show?
Old 02-06-10, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow! People comparing a TV show to WW2.
I'm not saying that Lost is the same as WW2. I'm just showing you the lack of logic in saying who cares what side you're on if you die.
Old 02-06-10, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
I'm not saying that Lost is the same as WW2. I'm just showing you the lack of logic in saying who cares what side you're on if you die.
Let me rephrase then. It's stupid to die when you don't even know what you are really fighting for.

Two things in this episode really stick out to me between MiB/Jacob.

1.) MiB told Bram and his group they were free to leave. They attacked him first, and obviously had no clue what they were really fighting.

2.) Jacob/MiB each told a story that doesn't seem to add up. Jacob claimed he was killed 'by an old friend that didnt enjoy his company anymore' while the MiB just 'wanted to go home'.

Wanting to go home seems like an odd motivation for someone that has been built up as the antagonist. Maybe he is ashamed of the people because they followed Jacob.
Old 02-06-10, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And what cause would that be exactly? Do you know if Jacob is even really the good guy? Using the half-ass logic above (WW2 references) what if Jacob is really the Hitler of the show?
Whether or not the side they are fighting for is good or bad is irrelevant. I think you need to back up and read what you're responding to.
Old 02-06-10, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I wonder if Jacob was the MIB's true nemesis? It seems like there is still something or someone in the way of him "going home".
Old 02-06-10, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let me rephrase then. It's stupid to die when you don't even know what you are really fighting for.

Two things in this episode really stick out to me between MiB/Jacob.

1.) MiB told Bram and his group they were free to leave. They attacked him first, and obviously had no clue what they were really fighting.

2.) Jacob/MiB each told a story that doesn't seem to add up. Jacob claimed he was killed 'by an old friend that didnt enjoy his company anymore' while the MiB just 'wanted to go home'.

Wanting to go home seems like an odd motivation for someone that has been built up as the antagonist. Maybe he is ashamed of the people because they followed Jacob.
So because the audience and, by extension, you don't understand what Bram, Iliana, and company are fighting for, that means the characters don't?

Iliana (or however you spell it) seemed pretty willing to do anything for Jacob when he visited her in the hospital when she had some pretty severe burns/injuries going on. I daresay they know more about Jacob and what he's about than we do.
Old 02-06-10, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redskull
If you're implying Shannon wasn't in this episode because she was busy filming "Taken," that movie came out two years ago. They probably filmed this episode sometime in the last 3 months.
Thanks for the clarification. Guess I got my timelines mixed up.
Old 02-06-10, 09:30 PM
Banned

When the MiB (Locke) told Richard, "it's nice to see you out of those chains," then grabs him violently and throws him to the ground. That seems to imply that the MiB was perhaps the Captain of the Black Rock and Richard one of the slaves. Maybe the Smoke Monster comes to the island via the Black Rock and it's inside the Captain. When the Black Rock crashes, the Captain dies and it needs a new vessel so it enters the MiB. Richard survives the crash and finds the Others living on the island and is given everlasting life from The Temple.
Old 02-06-10, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by cracksky
...That seems to imply that the MiB was perhaps the Captain of the Black Rock and Richard one of the slaves... When the Black Rock crashes, the Captain dies and it needs a new vessel so it enters the MiB. Richard survives the crash and finds the Others living on the island and is given everlasting life from The Temple...
Except that in last season's finale we see MiB sitting on the beach looking at the Black Rock sailing...
Old 02-06-10, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

But the MIB's goal was to kill Jacob and he stated this before the Black Rock came to the island. His plans seem not to have changed since the Black Rock arrived, so I don't think there was any sort of possession.
Old 02-06-10, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

So is Jacob now in Sayid's body? Why was it so important to get Sayid to the temple?

Last edited by hippie68; 02-06-10 at 10:27 PM. Reason: wrong name
Old 02-06-10, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If Hurley were reborn in the temple spring, would he stay that weight for eternity?
Old 02-06-10, 10:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by arbogast777
Except that in last season's finale we see MiB sitting on the beach looking at the Black Rock sailing...
I don't think that his eventual possession by Smokey has anything to do with his wanting to kill Jacob. I think he's wanted to kill him for a long time when we see him on the beach. I also don't think Smokey started on the island. I think it came from somewhere else. Coming from the Black Rock is as good a theory as any.

Richard was definitely on the Black Rock. Someone had to turn the Donkey Wheel to make the island disappear so that the ship would reappear in the middle of it. Whomever did this would end up in Tunisia. I'm guessing this was Jacob since we've seen him in the real world interacting with our people.
Old 02-06-10, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 02-07-10, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by andy434343
that sounds good except that Jack saw his father in the lobby of his hospital at night when he was alone, which would mean the smoke monster can leave the island as well....
But Jack was heavily medicated at the time and was starting to lose it. That could just as well have been a hallucination. It probably was.
Old 02-07-10, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cracksky
I don't think that his eventual possession by Smokey has anything to do with his wanting to kill Jacob. I think he's wanted to kill him for a long time when we see him on the beach. I also don't think Smokey started on the island. I think it came from somewhere else. Coming from the Black Rock is as good a theory as any.

Richard was definitely on the Black Rock. Someone had to turn the Donkey Wheel to make the island disappear so that the ship would reappear in the middle of it. Whomever did this would end up in Tunisia. I'm guessing this was Jacob since we've seen him in the real world interacting with our people.
Not necessarily, in season five when we see locke, juliet, sawyer, and miles traveling through time they see the huge statue, then the quickly travel through time one last time and someone says that this flash was different, like an earthquake, so maybe there was an underwater earthquake which causes a tsunami to bring the black rock way inland.......the tsunami/earthquake could also explain why the statue falls down and only a foot is left.
Old 02-07-10, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JTH182
But Jack was heavily medicated at the time and was starting to lose it. That could just as well have been a hallucination. It probably was.
This is what I was thinking. And I don't think that someone has to be dead for Smokey to mimic their appearance a la Walt because he was no longer on the island.
Old 02-07-10, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just re-watched it, who likes part one a lot more than part two? I have no doubt answers are coming about the Temple business, but it all still seemed to come out of nowhere, including this set of other Others and the Sayid resurrection.
Old 02-07-10, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked part one but feel that part two actually moved the story more towards its conclusion.
Old 02-07-10, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by hardercore
Just re-watched it, who likes part one a lot more than part two? I have no doubt answers are coming about the Temple business, but it all still seemed to come out of nowhere, including this set of other Others and the Sayid resurrection.
I actually like part two a lot more than part one. Part one was sorta slow-moving, it was just everyone getting "re-acquainted" with each other after the bomb was detonated, and saving Juliet, who subsequently died. Also the flashsideways in part one weren't that action-packed like they were in part two. There were tons of good Terry O'Quinn scenes in part two.

The only thing part two was lacking was Jacob, who made an appearance to Hurley in part one. Althought I don't expect to see a lot of Jacob this season... seeing as he's dead.
Old 02-07-10, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

I just rewatched it today too, and can unofficially confirm that the second half had about 6 minutes more commercials in it than the first half.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.