Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Office -- "The Banker" -- 01/21/10

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-10, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Office -- "The Banker" -- 01/21/10

Does anyone know the name of the song or the artist that was playing during the Jim and Pam clip
Old 01-23-10, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JuryDuty

Apparently, right after posting this, Rainn Wilson posted the exact opposite, but still... :P
Explain to me how I'm supposed to read this. I've been wondering how the heck these "Twitter" things are read... I assume rainnwilson is the one saying it, if so, what's the "RT" and "via @mattwylder" mean?

Oh, and I agree completely with what he said.
Old 01-23-10, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by nord
Does anyone know the name of the song or the artist that was playing during the Jim and Pam clip
"Sing" by Travis

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/G1f2M5G9KG8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/G1f2M5G9KG8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 01-23-10, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
LOL @ people's blind devotion to this show to the point that they're defending a CLIP SHOW.
It's the same concept as a greatest hit album. I don't get the hatred for this thoroughly enjoyable episode.
Old 01-23-10, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
So it seems that the documentary crew has been filming for 4+ years and so far there hasn't been any public release of their work?
While the UK version was good about the "documentary part, I wonder if (and this is semantics) this version is filming a "reality show" not a "documentary."

Then again, Parks & Rec and Modern Family use the "talk to the camera bit" as well and have never made mention of a documentary/reality show that I recall. The Office at least tried to in the early seasons.
Old 01-23-10, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by cartman
Explain to me how I'm supposed to read this. I've been wondering how the heck these "Twitter" things are read... I assume rainnwilson is the one saying it, if so, what's the "RT" and "via @mattwylder" mean?

Oh, and I agree completely with what he said.
RT = re-tweet

so basically, Rainn is 're-tweeting' what mattwylder had to say about that episode of the office.
Old 01-23-10, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho
While the UK version was good about the "documentary part, I wonder if (and this is semantics) this version is filming a "reality show" not a "documentary."

Then again, Parks & Rec and Modern Family use the "talk to the camera bit" as well and have never made mention of a documentary/reality show that I recall. The Office at least tried to in the early seasons.
The creators of Modern Family just addressed the "mockumentary" question at the TCA press tour, and said that there is not a documentary crew following this family around. The style of the show was chosen because it allows interviews and cut-aways that provide more opportunities for humor.

And you are correct in observing that Modern Family, Parks & Rec and the US Office are just utilizing the format of reality shows that audiences are very familiar with.
Old 01-23-10, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by zekeburger1979

Seeing the clips reminded me of just how funny this show is.
I think you mean just how funny this show WAS, as about 90% of the clips were from seasons 1-3.
Old 01-23-10, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm the biggest Office advocate but I didn't care for this episode. I kept skipping through the clips. Worst episode of the series thus far.
Old 01-23-10, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by zekeburger1979
Seeing the clips reminded me of just how funny this show was.
Fixed.
Old 01-25-10, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
LOL @ people's blind devotion to this show to the point that they're defending a CLIP SHOW.
How dare people to like things!
Old 01-25-10, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

A clip show done in a clever way with a third of the show new material to boot? Cancel it. Clearly the show has jumped the shark and sucks compared to other seasons. Any show that ever broadcasts a rerun should likewise be canceled immediately.

Funny how posting that The Office deserves scorn because it isn't as good as it used to be in the heydays of the late 'aughts has replaced posting about how it sucks compared to the UK version in trying to prove how cutting edge a viewpoint is. Remember (to turn a phrase): The worst day of The Office still beats the best day of 90% of everything else. Enjoy it while you can, before it's replaced by yet another indistinguishable hospital or legal drama.
Old 01-25-10, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Office jumped the shark long before last week.
Old 01-25-10, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wouldn't even consider this an episode more like a retrospective.
Old 01-27-10, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by whoopdido
I think you mean just how funny this show WAS, as about 90% of the clips were from seasons 1-3.
This.

That was all I can think of the whole time I was watching this episode. It's really sad how far away from the funny tree it's fallen.
Old 01-27-10, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by whoopdido
The Office jumped the shark long before last week.
The expression "jumped the shark" has jumped the shark.
Old 01-27-10, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by Kal-El
This.

That was all I can think of the whole time I was watching this episode. It's really sad how far away from the funny tree it's fallen.
A question to those who are posting about how much they hate the show, "Why are you still watching?"
Old 01-27-10, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by foggy
A question to those who are posting about how much they hate the show, "Why are you still watching?"
Did you ever have a cold sore on the inside of your mouth that you kept pressing it with your tongue?
Old 01-27-10, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Because I'm holding out hope that maybe it can be at least close to as funny as it used to be and since I've watched from the start I'm having a very hard time giving up on it. And I don't hate the show. It's been said many times, but a bad Office is still better than most of what's on tv. It's just frustrating that this show used to be the highlight of my tv watching week and now I can barely even get myself to watch the episodes. I just can't get excited about it anymore because it's not nearly as good as it used to be.

I will say that, in my personal opinion, this season has been WAY better than last season. I know I'm in the minority, but I just never liked Holly and I never liked the Michael Scott Paper Company. Those 2 storylines just bored me to tears. The Office is rerun 5 times a day and I absolutely will not watch any episodes from that era. Anything prior to that I love and really this season has been pretty good too, but I guess it was last season just sucked in my opinion and really caused me to lose interest in the show.
Old 01-27-10, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

Basically because its on in the background while I surf on my laptop.

My TV ratings have evolved to wether or not I will close the computer when a show comes on.
Old 01-27-10, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
The worst day of The Office still beats the best day of 90% of everything else.
I ABSOLUTELY hate this line because its rooted in TV's past.

The Office MAY be better than 90% of the shows out there but I DO NOT WATCH 90% OF THE SHOWS OUT THERE.

The Office has to be better than THE OTHER THINGS IN MY TIVO NOW PLAYING LIST.

And it no longer is
Old 01-27-10, 04:18 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I never realized it before, but it's funny how different Jim looks from the early days...
Old 01-27-10, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The expression "jumped the shark" has jumped the shark.
No, it's still a meaningful expression. The problem is with people using it without fully understanding what it means. A lone bad episode is not jumping the shark, but this show has fallen pretty hard since the glory days of Seasons 2 and 3. "Jump the shark" could be replaced by "drove into a lake" as far as I'm concerned.

Habit, really. Doesn't hurt that it's also sandwiched between shows I actually enjoy, which ironically are shows I only started watching because they were on before/after The Office. It's easily the weakest of NBC's Thursday comedy lineup. To be honest, most of the time I don't even fully pay attention to it when it's on nowadays.
Old 01-27-10, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
I ABSOLUTELY hate this line because its rooted in TV's past.

The Office MAY be better than 90% of the shows out there but I DO NOT WATCH 90% OF THE SHOWS OUT THERE.

The Office has to be better than THE OTHER THINGS IN MY TIVO NOW PLAYING LIST.

And it no longer is
Ah, but I said the WORST day compared to others' BEST day...so at worst in the top 10%. And besides, since there are only 11 hours per night of prime time network TV, that puts it in the top one or two shows of any given night. I have a hard time believing someone who owns a TIVO and posts in a TV forum (simply meaning you enjoy TV, as do I) can't get through the best 10% of the prime time lineup each week.
Old 01-27-10, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Ah, but I said the WORST day compared to others' BEST day...so at worst in the top 10%. And besides, since there are only 11 hours per night of prime time network TV, that puts it in the top one or two shows of any given night. I have a hard time believing someone who owns a TIVO and posts in a TV forum (simply meaning you enjoy TV, as do I) can't get through the best 10% of the prime time lineup each week.
There are many, many quality shows that are not on prime time network TV.