Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-13, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

Originally Posted by DJariya
If the Tonight Show moves to New York, probably means that everyone on Jay's staff in Burbank will get laid off and Fallon's staff will take their jobs.

Nice work NBC!
Or, NBC launches a new 12:30 show from L.A. and the old Tonight Show staff gets jobs there.

Or, Jay gets a new show on another network and takes his staff with him.

I can't believe that Fallon is falling for this. NBC's other two 12:30 guys of the Leno era have made a grab for the 11:30 slot. Neither of them are with NBC anymore.

Regardless of what you think about Leno, it's clear that the network can't be trusted and will panic at the slightest hint that "The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon" isn't living up to their expectations or that Leno may take his audience to another network.

When that happens, Jay will be back at 11:30, there will be a new guy at 12:30, and Fallon will be out of luck.

If I were in Fallon's shoes, I would tell NBC to stick 11:30 up their ass until Leno steps down on his own terms.
Old 03-30-13, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

jay leno will step down on his own terms....when he's 80. the network doesn't want that.
Old 04-02-13, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YS0jVU8fLc4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-02-13, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

That video shows Jay's at least getting in front of the issue better than he did with Conan.
Old 04-02-13, 01:44 PM

I can't understand the thinking of moving The Tonight Show to NY. Fallon is a great host, and much more marketable than Conan was, but the amount of guests is so limited in NY. Kimmel has to be loving this since he'll be the only LA-based network show at 11:35.
Old 04-02-13, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Jimmy gets a lot of guests in NYC so I can't imagine he'll have trouble drawing those same guests at 11:35. If I was Letterman I would be worried. Do they tape at the same time?
Old 04-02-13, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

I think Fallon gets the best guests and even better than the Tonight show and he gets Prince and Timberlake for an entire week.

I prefer Fallon stays at 12:30am since Conan was better on Late Night and mediocre on the Tonight Show and don't want the same to happen to Fallon.

Just let Leno retire on his own terms and stop worrying about Kimmel or if Leno bolts to FOX and beats Kimmel and Fallon NBC will be screwed again.
Old 04-03-13, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,201 Likes on 4,228 Posts

Well, nobody's bumped this thread yet, but it looks like the deal happened this evening and Fallon is taking over Tonight Show, at least some time in the future. The Hollywood Reporter is reporting that NBC wants Fallon to take over next February after the Winter Olympics, but Lorne Michaels wants more time. Also they speculate that NBC wants Seth Meyers to take over for Fallon at 12:30.

story
Old 04-03-13, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Dave's contract is up in 2014, how funny would it be to see Jay take over for Dave?
Old 04-03-13, 11:54 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Its official....

NBC confirmed the worst kept secret in Hollywood on Wednesday, announcing that current Late Night frontman Jimmy Fallon will succeed Jay Leno as host of The Tonight Show in Spring 2014.
As part of the transition, The Tonight Show will, as expected, return to its original 30 Rock home in New York and will be exec-produced by Saturday Night Live‘s Lorne Michaels (aka Fallon’s EP on Late Night.)

“Congratulations Jimmy,” Leno said in a statement. “I hope you’re as lucky as me and hold on to the job until you’re the old guy. If you need me, I’ll be at the garage.”

Added Fallon: “I’m really excited to host a show that starts today instead of tomorrow.”

“Jay Leno is an entertainment icon, making millions of people laugh every weeknight for more than 20 years,” said NBCUniversal CEO Steve Burke. “His long reign as the highest-rated late-night host is a testament to his work ethic and dedication to his viewers and to NBC.

“We are purposefully making this change when Jay is No. 1, just as Jay replaced Johnny Carson when he was No. 1,” the exec continued. “Jimmy Fallon is a unique talent and this is his time. I’m thrilled he will become the sixth host of The Tonight Show at exactly the right moment, in conjunction with our coverage of next year’s Winter Olympic Games from Sochi, Russia.”

No official word on who will replace Fallon at Late Night, but sources confirm SNL‘s Seth Meyers remains the odds-on-favorite for the job. NBC would only say, “Programming plans for the 12:35 a.m. time period currently are in development and will be announced soon.”
I can't imagine how pissed Conan must be... or maybe he's just laughing. I know he is happy doing what he is doing now.

Last edited by dex14; 04-03-13 at 12:17 PM.
Old 04-03-13, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

When exactly Fallon will replace Jay Leno on "Tonight" remains unclear as NBC debates when to announce the transition.

Jimmy Fallon's march to inherit The Tonight Show is nearly complete. The Late Night host has closed a new deal with NBC that will pave the way for him to replace Jay Leno in the 11:35 p.m. slot, a well-placed source tells The Hollywood Reporter.

Fallon’s move has been expected since THR revealed March 1 that NBC was preparing an exit plan for Leno, 62, whose contract expires in September 2014. But NBC has refused to confirm the succession, instead letting Leno and Fallon, 38, tease audiences with jokes about the situation.

The duo sang an amusing on-air duet April 1, mocking NBC’s late-night uncertainty and suggesting both hosts are comfortable with the transition -- or at least more comfortable than NBC's 2009 shift from Leno to Conan O'Brien. NBC and Fallon’s CAA reps declined comment.

Still not clear is when exactly Fallon will take over Tonight. THR’s source says some NBC execs want to launch Fallon’s New York-based Tonight in February during network's high-rated Winter Olympics coverage, but producer Lorne Michaels is said to prefer to give Fallon a little more time. Plus, NBC would owe Leno a significant penalty if it took him off the air before his contract expires.

The timing and nature of the Fallon announcement also is said to be in flux, with some at NBC said to believe that the network should wait to confirm the Tonight transition until it can close a deal with Fallon’s replacement.

The strong frontrunner for that 12:35 a.m. job is said to be Saturday Night Live stalwart Seth Meyers, who could be installed as the new Late Night host when Fallon takes over Tonight. Meyers, like Fallon and his predecessor, Conan O’Brien, is a Michaels protege. "It will be Seth unless something goes awry [in the dealmaking,]" says a source close to the situation.

Until the shift is made official, Leno and Fallon are expected to continue their mockery of the transition. Tonight has been up in the ratings since Leno began his recent NBC ribbing.
Old 04-03-13, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tonight Show gate 2 next year
Old 04-03-13, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
Dave's contract is up in 2014, how funny would it be to see Jay take over for Dave?
It'd be pretty funny tho I'm wondering if Stewart taking a month off from TDS is a play to get bumped from CC to CBS to take over for Letterman.
Old 04-03-13, 01:37 PM
Banned

Jimmy Fallon and fucking Seth Meyers. Wow. This is going to be a disaster.
Old 04-03-13, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Jimmy Fallon and fucking Seth Meyers. Wow. This is going to be a disaster.
Would be the first time in history that I watched both shows. Fallon is easily my favorite late night host and if Meyers is produced by Micheals as well I have little doubt that he would be a good host as well.
Old 04-03-13, 02:55 PM

Leno and NBC are going to backtrack again shortly after he leaves. This has the markings of a disaster all over it
Old 04-03-13, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Guess that's why she died during childbirth.
Alright Tyrion. Don't get short with us.
Old 04-03-13, 04:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Timber
Would be the first time in history that I watched both shows. Fallon is easily my favorite late night host and if Meyers is produced by Micheals as well I have little doubt that he would be a good host as well.
You have some terrible taste.
Old 04-03-13, 05:21 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by dex14

I can't imagine how pissed Conan must be... or maybe he's just laughing. I know he is happy doing what he is doing now.
I have this really weird feeling that Conan is going to take over The Late Show but it'll be in LA. He might be extending his show until Dave retires because in no way can I see Craig Ferguson being in an 11:30 timeslot, he'll tank.
Old 04-03-13, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

I thought the supposed plan was for Jon Stewart to take over The Late Show when Dave retires.
Old 04-03-13, 07:51 PM
g

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

Telemundo is gonna be ahead of NBC in late night as well as in Primetime with this masterstroke.
Old 04-03-13, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe
I have this really weird feeling that Conan is going to take over The Late Show but it'll be in LA. He might be extending his show until Dave retires because in no way can I see Craig Ferguson being in an 11:30 timeslot, he'll tank.
Conan taking over The Late Show could happen but who knows. I think him and Dave have a decent relationship so you never know. Although Conan seems pretty happy with where he's at currently too so who knows maybe he doesn't necessarily want to go back to a bigger network.

As far as Ferguson I tend to agree. I love the guy but his humor is too off the wall and he wouldn't be able to get away with half the stuff he does now. I honestly don't even know if he'd want an earlier slot because he wouldn't have the freedom to do what he wants with his show like he does now.
Old 04-04-13, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Conan has always been and will always be funnier then Fallon.
Old 04-04-13, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca

Just let Leno retire on his own terms and stop worrying about Kimmel or if Leno bolts to FOX and beats Kimmel and Fallon NBC will be screwed again.

Launching a late night show when people have way more options before and there is a less demand since more people are just watching clips here and there online the next day seems like a no brainer bad decision. Considering Leno's likely asking salary, having to pay affiliates to get the late night spot and the promotional push needed it's probably not a money making prospect for Fox.
Old 04-04-13, 05:32 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I find Fallon unwatchable and I find Seth Meyers to be unwatchable...

Guess I'll be off NBC for another run since conan left....

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.