DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/568199-nbc-lets-see-how-low-we-can-go-conan-thread-part-2-a.html)

WallyOPD 01-21-10 04:02 PM

Re: NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

Originally Posted by devilshalo (Post 9955951)
Gaspin: I think those jokes are waning very quickly. You're actually seeing backlash against those jokes on air. People are saying, "We have a horrendous situation in Haiti, let's put this thing in perspective."

Really? People are wanting the late night comedy shows to do bits about Haiti? I don't think that would be very funny.

resinrats 01-21-10 04:02 PM

A problem I can see with starting at 11 is the fact that ABC/CBS/NBC shows end at 11 & then have local news. Obviously a lot of people do watch some of the 11 local news so they won't be watching Conan. Depending on how much they watch, some might not want to then change to a show they've missed part of. At least for me, the first 20 minutes of Leno/Letterman/Conan are the best parts (monolog/skit). After that, it tends to be guests which, depending on who it is, I might have no interest in seeing that part.

chuckd21 01-21-10 04:02 PM

I'm amused to think that Hulu is a joint venture between FOX and NBC...

RichC2 01-21-10 04:07 PM

...And Fox's most successful scripted show is an NBC Universal production (House).

(...and the only show I watch on CBS is a Fox production (How I Met Your Mother))

ScissorPuppy 01-21-10 04:49 PM

People are saying, "We have a horrendous situation in Haiti, let's put this thing in perspective."
Yep, perspective.
You just payed someone 40 million dollars to LEAVE your network. And you have the nerve to mention a horrendous tragedy in a POOR country?

Hell, why have any comedy at all? Why does the Haiti situation only mean no NBC jokes? Why stop there? Let's ban all jokes on late-night. After all, we need to put this shit in perspective right?

Deftones 01-21-10 05:01 PM

I love the NBC spin. If I were the Comcast people, when they get control of the company, I would absolutely gut every person involved in any kind of decision making there. Fucking idiots.

Deftones 01-21-10 05:30 PM

the car was loaned to the tonight show. http://jalopnik.com/5453816/update-p...eyron-to-conan

Mad Dawg 01-21-10 05:35 PM

I love Gaspin pooh-poohing the ratings bump. Of course it's because of the scandal and they would have eventually settled had Conan stayed, but that didn't stop NBC from issuing a press release celebrating them last week.

Eric D. 01-21-10 05:50 PM

What's funny is that it's Conan who keeps reminding people about Haiti on his show and how they have to put things in perspective. Way to go, Gaspin!

Deftones 01-21-10 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Eric D. (Post 9956191)
What's funny is that it's Conan who keeps reminding people about Haiti on his show and how they have to put things in perspective. Way to go, Gaspin!

Exactly. he stops to promote a good charity. what a fucking douche.

Nefarious 01-21-10 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones (Post 9956161)
the car was loaned to the tonight show. http://jalopnik.com/5453816/update-p...eyron-to-conan

It's a damn good thing Andy is no Walter Sobchak who felt the need to show NBC what happens when you fuck somebody in the ass.

RoyalTea 01-21-10 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Nefarious (Post 9956218)
It's a damn good thing Andy is no Walter Sobchak who felt the need to show NBC what happens when you fuck somebody in the ass.

I think you mean "find a stranger in the Alps."

redrum 01-21-10 06:28 PM

THIS JUST IN: Steve Carell will be one of Conan's final guests on The Tonight Show tomorrow night at 11:35/10:35c! You won't want to miss it!

wm lopez 01-21-10 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones (Post 9956198)
Exactly. he stops to promote a good charity. what a fucking douche.

If Conan met what he said he have donated all his $30 plus million he's getting as a buyout from NBC.
Instead he's giving his staff millions because they had to move to sunny Hollywood California instead of staying in cold N.Y.:violin:

Fist of Doom 01-21-10 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by wm lopez (Post 9956249)
If Conan met what he said he have donated all his $30 plus million he's getting as a buyout from NBC.
Instead he's giving his staff millions because they had to move to sunny Hollywood California instead of staying in cold N.Y.:violin:

Why do you hate capitalism?

Darknite39 01-21-10 06:38 PM

Google translator's no good on this one.

Help?

Deftones 01-21-10 06:44 PM

so he should donate what, in essence is his salary for 2 years, just because that would make him look like a good guy? uhhhh, yeah, not gonna happen.

wearetheborg 01-21-10 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by chuckd21 (Post 9955082)
Here's why I'm okay with Dave attacking Jay but not with Jay attacking Dave...

Dave's jokes about Jay have not necessarily been personal attacks. They've been professional ones, about his business dealings and behavior within the business. All Jay can seem to do is attack Dave personally, and that just seems pathetic. I've always been indifferent to Jay, even during this nonsense. But jokes about Dave's personal life really don't even seem to be in the same ballfield as Dave's jokes about Jay's work behavior.

Isnt calling Jay "big chin" Leno personal ?

freshticles 01-21-10 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by wearetheborg (Post 9956357)

No, he has a really big chin.

Count Dooku 01-21-10 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by wearetheborg (Post 9956357)

Jay Leno and his wife have been married for over 30 years. They don't have any children.

If David Letterman really wanted to get personal, there's a lot of jokes for him to make.

Count Dooku 01-21-10 07:46 PM

Mr. Lopez, your hero Bill O"Reilly has endorsed and promoted charitable donations for Haiti on his TV show.

Do you also condemn Bill O'Reilly for failing to donate millions of dollars to Haitian relief efforts?

Or are you a hypocrite, who only criticizes the actions of those people who you consider "liberal"?

emanon 01-21-10 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones (Post 9956277)
so he should donate what, in essence is his salary for 2 years, just because that would make him look like a good guy? uhhhh, yeah, not gonna happen.

No...the OP clearly stated that Conan should donate $1,000,030.00, which is considerably less than two years salary.

But only after he meets what he said.

Mad Dawg 01-21-10 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by emanon (Post 9956388)
No...the OP clearly stated that Conan should donate $1,000,030.00, which is considerably less than two years salary.

But only after he meets what he said.

rotfl

Jimmy James 01-21-10 08:17 PM

Jeff Gaspin is a gigantic fucking douche for resorting to Haiti as spin.

The scary thing to me is the idea that the Comcast people approve of what has happened. If I were buying a network, you know I'd want to be in the loop. There is talk that Ebersol will be head of all of Comcast sports, right?

NBC has really hurt themselves in my eyes. As a relatively heavy TV watcher, that seems like a really dumb move. Hope they enjoy whatever rating Leno brings back. The dirty secret is that Leno's number was down 20-25% from a year before his exit. That was before his reputation and that of his network went right into the toilet.

Back to Gaspin, though. He acknowledges that Letterman's ratings exploded due to a short term scandal. Conan's ratings tanked a bit at that point. It would have evened out. It's total BS for NBC to project out those ratings as though they were the ones that they would expect. It's also total BS for them to consider the big costs like starting up a show in a new studio, which I am confident they're doing when they claim Conan was in the red for them.

pjflyer 01-21-10 08:36 PM

I just wish that what you type would meet your brain more often.