Search this Thread

Old 01-11-10, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Chuck -- "Chuck Versus The Angel of Death" -- 01/11/10

Chuck

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Chuck springs into action to protect a visiting dictator (Armand Assante) who's targeted for assassination, yet Chuck must capitalize on his friendship with Awesome to get the job done. Awesome delights in the exciting spy jinks, but Chuck fears he's putting Awesome and Ellie in danger.

I know most of you are still talking about the season premiere, but another new episode tonight at 8pm.
Old 01-11-10, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Re: Chuck -- "Chuck Versus The Angel of Death" -- 01/11/10

Matt Roush is oozing over this episode. I can only hope a huge portion of those that tuned in last night will watch this, because I feel like this episode may be more Chuck-like than the two lastnight and therefore more deserving of new viewers.
Old 01-11-10, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They did NOT just do what I think they did?!?
Old 01-11-10, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not sure if I should spoiler this or not, so I will to be on the safe side.

Spoiler:
If you're thinking Devin is dead, I don't think he is. Next week's episode is titled "Chuck vs. Operation Awesome" and the previews for it showed him alive. It seems he is more of a hostage to a Ring agent. However, I'm wondering if Chuck and the gang think he is dead, as Sarah looked absolutely devastated.

BTW, the plot for next week:

A Ring agent named Sydney (Angie Harmon) wants Chuck's brother in law Devon dead. Brandon Routh guest stars

Really liked this episode, nice blend of everything and I loved Casey's nickname "angel of death" haha
Old 01-11-10, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Great episode that ended with a big holy shit..

Spoiler:
..until I saw the preview for next week.
Old 01-11-10, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Great episode. Much better than the premiere episodes, I thought. Although, I did find it a little strange that the assassin who looks Russian or Irish could so easily infiltrate a Latin American country's security force. I guess he was mercenary.
Old 01-11-10, 08:44 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

yeah... talk about stupid spoilers in the preview for next week... I seriously thought they.... well, you know.
Old 01-11-10, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah the spoilers for next week sucked because I was having another damn Dexter moment there...
Old 01-11-10, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I absolutely hate spoilers. That would have been one of the better cliffhanger endings you could have had and gotten people (admittedly people that would have been watching/already tuning in next week anyway) talking and watching next Monday.

Great episode. Much of last night (first ep anyway) was spent recapping the between seasons happenings and the second episode was good, but this one was much more "Chuck" than last night's two shows. I was so looking forward to next week's to find out and then the damn previews spoiled that. I've GOT to remember to turn the channel before they come on.
Old 01-11-10, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

I think that might have been the first episode of the show where they never went into the Buy More.
Old 01-12-10, 04:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Great episode. It was good to see Chuck and Sarah back into action without her being so uptight and cold as she was in the 1st 2 hours. I guess seeing the video that Carina showed her lightened her mood.

I'm not that sensitive to spoilers as alot of you here are, but I have to agree that ending the episode on a cliffhanger and spoiling Devon's fate right away was pretty bad of NBC's promo department.

Armand Assante was so good as the over the top dictator.

You really have to admire Zach Levi and his stuntman for the amount of work they do getting all the fight chereography and dance moves right.

I know everyone goes Ga Ga and drools over Yvonne, but I have to say that Sarah Lancaster (Ellie) isn't chopped liver. She's a really beautiful woman.

Looking forward to next week.
Old 01-12-10, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It was good, I'm not a fan of the shit music they used for the season premire and this though. Way to teenish.
Old 01-12-10, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

They finally had Ellie show off "her goods". For as ridiculously hot as she is they don't really let us see that.
Old 01-12-10, 10:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJariya

I know everyone goes Ga Ga and drools over Yvonne, but I have to say that Sarah Lancaster (Ellie) isn't chopped liver. She's a really beautiful woman.

Looking forward to next week.
Sarah is a hell of a lot more beautiful than Yvonne is. She has natural beauty.

And thankfully the Chuck that we know and love was back last night. The first 2 episodes on Sunday felt rushed and didn't have the Chuck Charm!

Chris
Old 01-12-10, 10:57 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/01/12...source=twitter

At 8 p.m. ET, the regular-slot season premiere of “Chuck” (2.6 rating, 7 share in adults 18-49, 7.3 million viewers overall) scored the show’s highest regular-slot results in 18-49 and total viewers since the special 3-D telecast on February 2, 2009, the night after the Super Bowl. It was also the biggest total-viewer average for NBC in this time period with regular programming since that February 2 “Chuck.” In a time slot that last night included competition from Fox’s “House,” ABC’s “The Bachelor” and CBS’s comedies, “Chuck” generated growth from its first half-hour to its second of 8 percent in adults 18-49 (to a 2.7 from a 2.5) and 16 percent in adults 18-34 (2.2 vs. 1.9).
FOX House 4.6/12 12.24
CBS How I Met Your Mother 3.9/10 9.82
ABC The Bachelor: On The Wings of Love 3.3/8 9.88
NBC Chuck 2.6/7 7.32
CW One Tree Hill (R) 0.4/1 1.22
Season 4 is looking better and better!
Old 01-12-10, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was just going to post this. Great news - "Awesome!"

Didn't get to watch the episode yet; I will do that tonight.
Old 01-12-10, 01:17 PM

I thought this was an excellent (awesome?) episode as well. Loved when Devon gave the press conference and spoke in Spanish ending it with "muy awesome".

I like his character and it is entertaining now that he knows Chuck's secret.
Old 01-12-10, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mwbmis
I think that might have been the first episode of the show where they never went into the Buy More.
Which is fine with me. I think the scenes in the Buy More are the less successful of the series.
Old 01-12-10, 04:45 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by riley_dude
Which is fine with me. I think the scenes in the Buy More are the less successful of the series.
could. not. be. more. wrong.
Old 01-12-10, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"Muy awesome."

I thought this was so much better than the first two episodes. Tonight I finally felt like Chuck was back. Nice mix of action, romance and drama. I can't tell who stole the show the most - Casey or Awesome.

I loved the callback to when Chuck has tranquilized Casey. Casey always tries to grab Chuck's face and smash it in but succumbs to something first. I really appreciate nice little touches like this.

Speaking of callbacks, I'm surprised there wasn't a framing shot from the side in yogurt shop in the scene between Chuck and Sarah. Their handshake was almost identical to the first season Christmas episode where they had to make up after the large Bryce incident. Anyway, I really appreciated the acting in this scene since they had to tone down their chemistry and act as "just friends".

I too have tried to stay away from previews for "next weeks on...", but if you paid attention to the overarching season previews you'd have already seen scenes
Spoiler:
with Devon that were not in any of the currently aired previews.
However, I do agree that it's dumb for a show to build up a cliffhanger only to have a network dismantle that in a manner of seconds.
Old 01-13-10, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by riley_dude
Totally disagree. The Buy More scenes are a welcome part of the show. I think they lighten the mood and Jeff and Lester was annoying as hell, but fun to watch.
Old 01-13-10, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I like Jeff and Lester, Morgan less so, but with chuck being a full on spy the Buy More setting seems a bit silly.

Regarding the fate of the Awesome one, I didn't see the preview but it seems pretty obvious that this isn't the type of show that's going to kill a character like that.
Old 01-13-10, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by wmansir
I like Jeff and Lester, Morgan less so, but with chuck being a full on spy the Buy More setting seems a bit silly.

Regarding the fate of the Awesome one, I didn't see the preview but it seems pretty obvious that this isn't the type of show that's going to kill a character like that.
Normally I would agree with you, but did you see the first two episodes?
I think a key event in those throws out that "safe" paradigm.

By the way, about the upcoming male guest star - I think I'm really going to dislike him. I don't think he'll have the suave coolness that Cole did last season. Instead I think we're going to get pompus prick. Heck,
Spoiler:
Routh
himself even said he doesn't think fans are going to like the character he plays.
Old 01-13-10, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I've been scratching my head trying to figure out why some of the actors look so different this season and last night it finally hit me -- they're using a new film stock that is a lot less grainy than the one used in previous seasons. While it has the advantage of making the HD look much sharper it also highlights just how much makeup they have pancaked on Yvonne and Zachary. Most of the other actors still look the same but those two really jump out at me this season as appearing unnatural.
Old 01-13-10, 10:48 AM

Due to budget cuts they probably switched over to video which would explain why its cleaner. Dollhouse did the same since they had cut down the budget a ton.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.