Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

"Lost" Series Finale to be 3 hours, airing over two weeks.

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-09, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chicago Tribune Link

3 hours dedicated to the Series finale, but this does not mean yet another added episode to Season 6, which will still be 18 'hours'.

I'm guessing they'll go for a Season 1 or Season 4-type finale. Part 1 on week 1, then Parts 2 and 3 on the last night.

Will 18 hours be enough for the last season? (By the way, Season 6 will consist of a two-hour season premiere, 13 episodes and three-hour series finale that will air over two weeks -- but as Cuse joked, "I’m sure the network will sell it as a six-part finale if they can.") Cuse: "For us, [18 hours] is just about right. I mean, we aren’t sitting here feeling like, 'Oh my God, we need a ton more hours to tell the rest of our story.' It feels like it’s going to work out just fine. It will have been the right length."
Old 12-15-09, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Re: "Lost" Series Finale to be 3 hours, airing over two weeks.

Cool news I guess. What was wrong with putting this in the thread that already existed for the upcoming season?
Old 12-15-09, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

it's cool to start your own thread.
Old 12-15-09, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With a 2/3/10 premiere, an 18-hour season, and probably ending during May sweeps, I guess that other thread about 'Lost' taking the Olympics off was full o' shit?
Old 12-15-09, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

It appears that they still have a long way to go before they wrap production on all 18 episodes.

I read on another site they are filming episode 10 right now and will start shooting episode 11 in January.
Old 12-16-09, 05:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts

I have no idea how they're going to wrap up all of the dangling plot lines and character threads in eighteen hours.

They still have to explain the monster, Jacob, the Black Rock, who the new people are, who Richard Alpert is, who the skeletons in the cave are, why Christian is running around on the island, who/what Locke is now, what Desmond's further role is...

...not to mention that they're most likely going to be dealing with an alternate timeline because of "the incident." (Re-watching season five on DVD, I can't imagine that they're not going to prevent the crash of Flight 815 in some way; there's too much build-up for them not pull that trigger.)
Old 12-16-09, 05:39 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I figured out how this show will end... it took me awhile, but once I thought about it, it became quite obvious.

Spoiler:
Old 12-16-09, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I have no idea how they're going to wrap up all of the dangling plot lines and character threads in eighteen hours.

They still have to explain the monster, Jacob, the Black Rock, who the new people are, who Richard Alpert is, who the skeletons in the cave are, why Christian is running around on the island, who/what Locke is now, what Desmond's further role is...

...not to mention that they're most likely going to be dealing with an alternate timeline because of "the incident." (Re-watching season five on DVD, I can't imagine that they're not going to prevent the crash of Flight 815 in some way; there's too much build-up for them not pull that trigger.)
I thought they already explained the Black Rock? All of the travelers to the island appeared to be a result of Jacob trying to lure people in order to "break the cycle".
Old 12-16-09, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

No.. they don't have to explain any of that.
Old 12-16-09, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
I figured out how this show will end... it took me awhile, but once I thought about it, it became quite obvious.

Spoiler:
I would cry if that happened!
Originally Posted by Lunatikk
No.. they don't have to explain any of that.
I agree. They don't HAVE to do anything really.
Old 12-16-09, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think 18 hours is more than enough to tie up the important stuff. They really just need to explain the nature of Jacob and his nemesis and what their game is. Everything else can fall in around that.
Old 12-16-09, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
It appears that they still have a long way to go before they wrap production on all 18 episodes.

I read on another site they are filming episode 10 right now and will start shooting episode 11 in January.
Reason being is that spoilers were leaked and they decided to go back and rewrite and reshoot some episodes.
Old 12-16-09, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I don't think they'll explain ALL the mysteries. Web sites dedicated to LOST have so many mysteries listed that it's ridiculous to think they could explain them all. But I do think they'll hit all the important ones, and a lot of the less important ones, enough to give viewers a satisfactory ending to the show. We'll see, but after the last couple great seasons, I have hope!

BTW, that whole article is an excellent read. Check it out if you haven't yet.

Last edited by JuryDuty; 12-16-09 at 09:20 AM.
Old 12-16-09, 02:52 PM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gonna have to Hulu the S5 finale soon to rewatch it and remind myself where we are.......and when.
Old 12-16-09, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

If it's broken up into three parts, then it's NOT a 3-hour finale. sheesh - that's like saying a final season of a show is just one 22-hour long episode.
Old 12-16-09, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I look at this whole season as the finale as they should be motoring along to a satisfying conclusion. After watching the finale from last year again just last night I remembered some things that were important and also made me want to get this season going already. Less than 2 months to go and I can't believe it.
Old 12-17-09, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
If it's broken up into three parts, then it's NOT a 3-hour finale. sheesh - that's like saying a final season of a show is just one 22-hour long episode.
Thank you. I was about to say the same thing. On a side note, did you ever watch the 86-hour Sopranos finale?
Old 12-17-09, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JLB
Gonna have to Hulu the S5 finale soon to rewatch it and remind myself where we are.......and when.
I just found out that S5 is available in HD on Netflix. My TiVo HD is going to be busy playing THAT for me over the coming weeks.
Old 12-17-09, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rfduncan
I just found out that S5 is available in HD on Netflix. My TiVo HD is going to be busy playing THAT for me over the coming weeks.
Yeah, they just put it up on instant watch last Tuesday. I powered through it in like 3 days.
Old 12-17-09, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
it's cool to start your own thread.
Yep, its way more harder core.
Old 12-17-09, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But the article clearly states it will be a 2 hour series finale.

Just noticed that Elizabeth Mitchell is not in the Season 6 cast photos.

Last edited by PopcornTreeCt; 12-17-09 at 08:13 PM.
Old 12-18-09, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Are the photos on that site the season six regulars?

(Discussion of who is/isn't shown in the cast photos)
Spoiler:
Henry Ian Cusick isn't there, either. Hope his "legal issues" haven't gotten him written out of the show like M-Rod and Cynthia Watros, though I'm pretty sure Desmond will be appearing in season six in at least some capacity.

Also sort of remember reading that Alan (Charles Widmore) Dale would be a regular in season six...

Good to see Lapidus and Alpert finally make it as regulars.

And Claire is back!
Old 12-18-09, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
Well, no. Because it works off one script, and it's a 3-hour story arc in its own right. That it needs to be split into 2 parts for airing, or three parts of syndication are just a programming issues. It remains, as a chapter of the overall story, a triple-length one.

Exodus (Parts 1 to 3) in Season one were all penned by Cuse and Lindelof, Directed by Jack Bender, and centered on all the characters as opposed to one, because it's story was written and conceived as one episode: people leaving the island, the threat of the Others and blowing open the hatch to hide the survivors as a result of this perceived threat. That story needed 3 episodes to tell when compared to, say, "Confidence Man" earlier in the season, which was a Sawyer episode and had a storyline to do with athsma inhalers and sayid torturing Sawyer to get them back. "Confidence Man"s story was wrapped up in one even with the ongoing serialised threads.

I wouldn't be so pedantic about this explanation if I didn't feel I kept being taken to task unnecessarily about it.

Originally Posted by auto
Yep, its way more harder core.
What are we, sixteen?
Old 12-18-09, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by hardercore
Well, no. Because it works off one script, and it's a 3-hour story arc in its own right. That it needs to be split into 2 parts for airing, or three parts of syndication are just a programming issues. It remains, as a chapter of the overall story, a triple-length one.

Exodus (Parts 1 to 3) in Season one were all penned by Cuse and Lindelof, Directed by Jack Bender, and centered on all the characters as opposed to one, because it's story was written and conceived as one episode: people leaving the island, the threat of the Others and blowing open the hatch to hide the survivors as a result of this perceived threat. That story needed 3 episodes to tell when compared to, say, "Confidence Man" earlier in the season, which was a Sawyer episode and had a storyline to do with athsma inhalers and sayid torturing Sawyer to get them back. "Confidence Man"s story was wrapped up in one even with the ongoing serialised threads.

I wouldn't be so pedantic about this explanation if I didn't feel I kept being taken to task unnecessarily about it.

What are we, sixteen?
Nope.

Doesn't matter how it was created or what their intent was - however many separate airings they split it into, that's how many episodes it is. Everything else is meaningless semantics.
Old 12-18-09, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

IMO, the only way that this is a 3 hour finale is if they air all three together without the intro/credits between each one. It doesn't matter how it was conceived or filmed, if it is broken into three episodes just aired consecutively then it's 3 episodes.

Just glancing towards the DVD sets, it's individual episodes not long finales. This will be no different.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.