Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The CSI Trilogy (Miami, NY, Las Vegas) --3-part episode -- 11/9, 11/11, 11/12/09

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The CSI Trilogy (Miami, NY, Las Vegas) --3-part episode -- 11/9, 11/11, 11/12/09

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-09, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The CSI Trilogy (Miami, NY, Las Vegas) --3-part episode -- 11/9, 11/11, 11/12/09

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Maybe after they all solve the case we'll get a shot of all three of them sharing a brew in podunk Nebraska.
If shows want to do a good crossover, they should look at the crossovers that took place on Doctor Who last year and included cast members from Torchwood, Sarah Jane Adventures and past cast members from Doctor Who. You can't get much better than that.
Old 11-13-09, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Re: The CSI Trilogy (Miami, NY, Las Vegas) --3-part episode -- 11/9, 11/11, 11/12/09

Finished up the trilogy tonight.

Part 2 on CSI: NY was a much better written episode. It just shows that Miami has the weakest writers of the 3 shows. I thought it was cool that they actually shot alot of it in New York. The last segment was actually filmed outside of Citi Field in Flushing, NY.

I did notice Flack saying Charlottesville, NC in the opening scene. I think he just misspoke. I don't think the writers would put such an inaccurate flub in their script.

Sinise and Fishburne actually worked really well together in their scenes. The scene in the junkyard where they pursued the truck driver was actually really well done. Ray hoping on the bike with the shotgun was pretty badass.

As for Part 3, It was for the most part a pretty good CSI episode. I thought the storyline with the weather girl from Barstow turning tricks was a little bit of a stretch. However, I enjoyed the conclusion of the Madeline Briggs storyline and I think Fishburne did a good job getting viewers emotionally invested in his pursuit to save her. The final scene was quite touching.
Old 11-13-09, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I'm only through NY so far. I much preferred NY to Miami. I found the contrast of Mac to Cane pretty funny. It was all formal with Cane in regards to names and titles, but once Ray landed in NY it was all "Mac" and "Ray" between the two.

Ultimately it appears NY is completely skippable in the trilogy despite being more entertaining than Miami. They have a lead that Ray's missing girl is in NY but never leaves the truck and is bound for Vegas by the end. I did find Ray promising the mother to find her daughter a more believable reason to visit NY than the knife blade reason for Miami.

I haven't watched NY since the first season with Kim Delany(she was a horrid addition despite being great on NYPD: Blue). I really enjoyed the cast on the crossover though and may pick it up. Nice work CBS. Crossover succeeded.
Old 11-13-09, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk God

I haven't watched NY since the first season with Kim Delany(she was a horrid addition despite being great on NYPD: Blue). I really enjoyed the cast on the crossover though and may pick it up. Nice work CBS. Crossover succeeded.
Kim Delaney was on season 1 of CSI: Miami, not NY. And yes, she was horrible on it.

I thought the crossover was indeed a success creatively.
Old 11-13-09, 04:07 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

will I be lost if I only tivoed CSI: Vegas?
Old 11-13-09, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
A little bit, there is a character that was introduced in Miami that is central to the overall story arc.
Old 11-13-09, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I only saw Miami and Vegas. Miami was pretty gross with the decomposing leg but the Vegas ending was good though cliche.
Old 11-13-09, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
No. I skipped NY and wasn't lost for one minute last night. It's very easy to pick up on what did and didn't happen. What ties the three episodes together is pretty weak, IMO. Dr. Ray getting a text in Vegas from Caruso and Sinise was pretty funny. While the network does want to pick up ratings with a stunt like this, they're not stupid enough to alienate people who just watch Vegas with a bunch of surprises.
Old 11-13-09, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk God

I enjoyed all 3 episodes, but if you are looking for the best written ones, I would say NY and LV were the best. I guess if you had to miss one, NY would be it since Ray traveling there was essentially a lead that went nowhere.
Old 11-14-09, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

but remember Maddy, he can only show you the door
Old 11-14-09, 06:29 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was kinda hoping for something, I don't know, more unique or "bigger" than an abduction plot. I suppose they wanted each part to be easy to understand on its own if someone missed a part, but I wish the ongoing link was a bit more complex than "girl goes missing from Miami, then from New York, and then found in Las Vegas". I also would have liked to have seen more characters than just Ray cross over (though Fishburne was good).

Still, it was pretty decent. Vegas was the best, Miami was the weakest, NY was in between (which is how I feel about the shows in general).
Old 11-15-09, 01:49 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
My favourite CSI tool is the Sand Analyzer!
CSI NY Took it to another level, they have soil analysis.. Genius this!
Old 11-15-09, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just watched all 3 and during LV I kept getting thoughts of South Park and then the "bottom bitch" line sealed it.
Old 11-16-09, 12:43 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

What, all those Minority Report computers couldn't do that for them? Seriously, their lab makes Vegas look like Mayberry, by comparison.

Apparently, if I watched Miami on a regular basis I'd need to wear sunglasses due to all the lens flares used. Serious overkill.

I haven't watched Miami much over the years. A few times in the first season, one or 2 after that... And watching it this past monday isn't going to change that pattern.

I agree completely on the RIDICULOUS deck-of-the-enterprise computers and the migraine-inducing lens flares.

But you also fail to mention the horrible writing. The instant "discovery" of "She has plutonium on her feet, she must be from Nevada!" was ridiculous.

And the horrible acting. We all know about Caruso... But the supporting cast is unbearable. That big black guy and the ponytailed computer guy were by far the worst. I have a theory that they only employ bad actors because they can't have anyone showing up their "star". And since caruso is so bad, well, the rest have to be abysmal.

ok, so NY has better actors, but this episode was pointless in terms of the trilogy.

Then we get back to Vegas and all is right with the world again. I am never watching CSI: Miami again. Even if they do another "trilogy". I learned my lesson.
Old 11-16-09, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Watched the Vegas conclusion last night. Excellent ending. I love when they solve a case that doesn't end in murder.

This is probably the best CSI has been since the Miniature Killer season. I'm loving it. The writers have given Ray a solid character and purpose. Nick has stepped up and become quite the leader/mentor. Catherine has been more 'solid' in her role as well. I look forward to it every week again.

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
And the horrible acting. We all know about Caruso... But the supporting cast is unbearable. That big black guy and the ponytailed computer guy were by far the worst. I have a theory that they only employ bad actors because they can't have anyone showing up their "star". And since caruso is so bad, well, the rest have to be abysmal.
What about Calley and her horrendous accent? Worst of the bunch. Even her looks can't alleviate the pain when she opens her mouth.

Originally Posted by DJariya
Kim Delaney was on season 1 of CSI: Miami, not NY. And yes, she was horrible on it.
Shows you how long it's been since I watched the two spin-offs. Now I don't recall why I gave up on NY. Although, too dark and generic comes to mind now.
Old 11-16-09, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Miami was the worst of the three, who writes these dialogs. Its as if they want the show to be cancelled. The new doctor is the worst. This is being said of CSI-Miami of course

Last edited by roger_d; 11-16-09 at 11:20 AM.
Old 11-16-09, 08:40 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

The writers have given Ray a solid character and purpose. Nick has stepped up and become quite the leader/mentor.
ABSOLUTELY. They've proven casting fishburne was more than just a ratings ploy. His character is solidly developed and developing even more. And i also agree with your second point on Nick. Nick has the increased screen-time, but it wouldn't work if Eads was a poor actor. He's been solid this season, and he used to be one of the weak spots (although still better than anyone on Miami), along with Helgenberger.

And I will always love Jim Brass.
Old 11-16-09, 11:18 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

I agree BBL, Nick has been great this year, he is now my favourite character on the show.