Flash Forward -- "The Gift" -- 11/05/09

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-09, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Flash Forward -- "The Gift" -- 11/05/09

Originally Posted by whotony
How?
I dont know. Maybe when the FBI agent died, she passes out and has a flash forward since she might live now. Just a guess.
Old 11-07-09, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by AtomicFyre
I honestly thought for a second he was going to jump off the building and land on top of the mom
I thought the same thing
Old 11-07-09, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the bird crashing into Alex Kingston's window a sign that another experiment takes place in the future?
Old 11-08-09, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,821 Likes on 1,133 Posts

That was a really good ep. I really liked that young agent and I hated to see him go.

I'm so confused about the DWP guy's daughter. She's Alive! No, she's dead...Wait! She's Alive!! No wait, false alarm....

Alex Kingston Oh how I've missed you.
Old 11-08-09, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I thought the same thing
Same here.
Old 11-08-09, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mnementh
Is the bird crashing into Alex Kingston's window a sign that another experiment takes place in the future?
Only if the show gets renewed for a second season. Seriously...I am not joking. At least that's my guess. I read that they have the story line planned to wrap up this season if it only goes one season, but if they continue the show, there will be a second flash forward, and the bird may be a foreshadowing of that. It makes sense that their flash forward would take them to the moments right before they pass out again for another mass flash forward.

I think this episode was rather weak up until the end. What I think has been the weakest part of the entire show so far is that NOBODY has tried to deliberately change their future. You can't expect me to believe that Jett Jackson was the first one to see a future so bleak that he did not want to live it out and deliberately went about to change it. I would imagine that there would have been folks immediately following the flash forward who saw futures so horrible that either they ended it all soon thereafter or saw somebody in their flash forward doing something so heinous that they sought the person out and killed them as a preemptive measure. It didn't have to dominate the series...perhaps just have the FBI agents investigating a few suicides or murders that were somehow related to the flash forwards and debating if the future could be changed. To me, this concept in the series came too late.
Old 11-08-09, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts

Originally Posted by calhoun07

I think this episode was rather weak up until the end. What I think has been the weakest part of the entire show so far is that NOBODY has tried to deliberately change their future.
Ummm, the future is 6 months in advance. I completely disagree with your statement. We've seen that several of the people have taken steps now to hopefully ensure their future changes. From what we know of the people on the show now, there isn't much they can do immediately to prevent their future from happening. Sans maybe moving to another country or something.
Old 11-08-09, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

This show is definitely picking up here. I was ready to bail as I had the last 3 episodes saved on DVR and I had very little interest in watching it... but I bucked up and watched them all and it has drawn me back in.
Old 11-08-09, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

"Fate is what we make."
Old 11-08-09, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones
Ummm, the future is 6 months in advance. I completely disagree with your statement. We've seen that several of the people have taken steps now to hopefully ensure their future changes. From what we know of the people on the show now, there isn't much they can do immediately to prevent their future from happening. Sans maybe moving to another country or something.
Wrong. We haven't seen ANYBODY change the future so far. And from what we know now, the future can obviously be changed.
Old 11-08-09, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts

Wrong. We haven't seen ANYBODY change the future so far. And from what we know now, the future can obviously be changed.
I never said anyone has changed it. My point is that knowing what they know now isn't going to change shit if they do something right now unless they do something extremely drastic. That's why some of them seem to be doing little things over time that might cause some sort of change.

Last edited by Deftones; 11-08-09 at 08:37 PM.
Old 11-08-09, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones
I never said anyone has changed it. My point is that knowing what they know now isn't going to change shit if they do something right now unless they do something extremely drastic. That's why some of them seem to be doing little things over time that might cause some sort of change.
And my point was that it took this show a long time to get to somebody with the balls to actually deliberately change it (which would require suicide/murder.) You disagreed completely with me, leading me to believe you saw something in previous episodes that was contradictory to what I said, which led me to believe you were wrong.

So apparently what you completely disagreed with me on was a snippet of a larger body of text, thus taking what I said out of context and construing it into an imaginary debate? Go back and read my entire post before taking what I said out of context next time, please.
Old 11-09-09, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

And my point was that it took this show a long time to get to somebody with the balls to actually deliberately change it (which would require suicide/murder.)
While it wasn't as drastic as murder or suicide, Mark did burn the bracelet that his daughter gave him with the distinct attempt at changing his future. Of course, she could always make another one, I guess.

But I do agree with what you are saying. Everybody seems to be blindly going along with whatever their flash ordained for them. The most ludicrous is Mark's flash. His flash shows him being totally frustrated, trying to make sense of his clue board. Why is he meticulously trying to replicate it? Maybe making this clue board isn't the best route to go there, Mark.
Old 11-09-09, 10:48 AM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho

"Whatever happened, happened."

Old 11-09-09, 11:35 AM

Anyone catch the "shout-out" to Generation Kill?

In the military flashback of what happened to the DWP guy's daughter's humvee, the call signs being used are 'Godfather' and 'Hitman'.

They used these same call signs in Generation Kill, unless these are common US Marine call signs. (Although I think 'Godfather' referred to the commander's raspy voice due to throat cancer)
Old 11-09-09, 01:14 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mnementh
As far as we know, only crows died during the blackout, and that looked to be a pigeon.

Also, it didn't just drop out of the sky. It flew into the window and died.
Old 11-09-09, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Good episode!

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
As far as we know, only crows died during the blackout, and that looked to be a pigeon.

Also, it didn't just drop out of the sky. It flew into the window and died.
Rumor has it that in a future episode, they pan back in this scene and we see:

and then

Last edited by JuryDuty; 11-09-09 at 10:14 PM.
Old 11-09-09, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This series needed this episode badly. All through even this one, I was feeling more and more like it was about to collapse under itself. I, too, expected him to land on Celia and was ready to abandon the show when he did.

I'm glad this happened and actually look forward to this week's episode.
Old 11-10-09, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by Palaver
While it wasn't as drastic as murder or suicide, Mark did burn the bracelet that his daughter gave him with the distinct attempt at changing his future. Of course, she could always make another one, I guess.

But I do agree with what you are saying. Everybody seems to be blindly going along with whatever their flash ordained for them. The most ludicrous is Mark's flash. His flash shows him being totally frustrated, trying to make sense of his clue board. Why is he meticulously trying to replicate it? Maybe making this clue board isn't the best route to go there, Mark.
Mark's wife has also been trying to get the guy's kid transferred to another hospital so she doesn't start anything up with him.

The other flash forward's that we are aware of are all relatively positive, or do not shed enough light on the details to be changeable.
Old 11-10-09, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Since the blackout was worldwide, shouldn't all crows be dead, or at least pining for the fjords?
Old 11-10-09, 12:52 PM

I thought that was the assumption. Didn't you see the chart of the worldwide crow population?

not sure how the chart started up again though?

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 11-10-09 at 12:55 PM.
Old 11-10-09, 01:34 PM

Since the magical, crow chart never reached zero, it's probably safe to say that all crows didn't die. Just most of them. Followed by a massive crow orgy.
Old 11-10-09, 01:46 PM

So why wouldn't all of the crows have died? Interesting question, and I demand it be answered before any others this show has raised!
Old 11-10-09, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I thought that was the assumption. Didn't you see the chart of the worldwide crow population?

not sure how the chart started up again though?
Look at the units. It is a "suppressed zero" chart. The baseline is about 90 of whatever those units are, so population dropped 20-30%. The remaining 70-80% made more crows the usual way.
Old 11-10-09, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

So why wouldn't all of the crows have died? Interesting question, and I demand it be answered before any others this show has raised!
Mortality would be high among those flying. Those sitting on the ground, or in a nest are probably OK.

Humans are probably similar. Flying a plane -- big risk. Typing a message to DVDTalk -- I might lose my place, but not much risk.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.