Search this Thread

Old 10-23-09, 05:18 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Stargate Universe -- "Light" -- 10/23/09

Stargate Universe

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

With the Destiny on a collision course with a star, the crew considers abandoning the ship. A grim lottery is held to choose 17 passengers to escape in the Destiny's only working shuttle.

Old 10-23-09, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Stargate Universe -- "Light" -- 10/23/09

There are four lights!
Old 10-23-09, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
There are four lights!
Nice.

I'm looking forward to this episode a lot! I know it's not the best of the new fall shows, but I still enjoy.
Old 10-24-09, 12:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW!

This is without a doubt a very good show. Characters are coming into place, the music score is perfect.

We all knew what was coming, but how they did it was perfection. And that last 30 secs of the show, tells me there alot more where that came from!
Old 10-24-09, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really enjoyed this episode as well. With the lighting in some of the scenes and the music it felt like I was watching Blade Runner. The ship in the star sequence looked great.
Old 10-24-09, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JetSter735180
WOW!

This is without a doubt a very good show. Characters are coming into place, the music score is perfect.

We all knew what was coming, but how they did it was perfection. And that last 30 secs of the show, tells me there alot more where that came from!
I thought this episode was a big step up and I enjoyed it a lot, but oddly two of the things I didn't think worked very well were the music score and the last 30 seconds. The score was too distracting and the tension and drama of the last 30 seconds felt very forced.

They did do a pretty good job of maintaining the tension throughout the episode even though, as you mentioned, we all knew what was coming at the end. Hopefully the show continues moving in the right direction.
Old 10-24-09, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Wow. Real emotion in a Stargate show. Only four episodes in and they seem to be hitting their stride. I like the little touches like not forgetting to apply the sunburn makeup to some of the characters.
Old 10-24-09, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Another good episode. I think the entire audience knew what was going to happen, but the fact that the crew didn't is really what added tension. On top of that all of the emotion and tension involved with the lottery. I'm surprised there wasn't more of an uprising after all 15 were called.

I guess the beginning of that were put down by Sargent Greer. I enjoyed the conversation between him and Young towards the end as well. I think there is more to Greer than pissed off tough guy and he's becoming one of the more interesting characters for me.

I really didn't think Rush knew what was going to happen, so I'm surprised Young became so questioning of his motives. I'm wondering if there is more back story between the two than we've seen.

Okay, Eli needs to grow a pair. I hope he's like a young Dr. Jackson in that he needs to find himself and his confidence. Hopefully then he can become a cool bad ass and not a stuck up jackass like Rodney (although likable), and "mathboy" isn't cutting it. He sees Chloe run off with Scott and then he lets her cry on his shoulder and get all cuddly with him. I guess it's somewhat okay since the ship was about to be destroyed, but you have to draw the line somewhere. You know that's going to come to a head. I'm also a little puzzled by her line to Scott about being really close - they've had a few minutes of screen time together!
Old 10-24-09, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Superman07
Another good episode. I think the entire audience knew what was going to happen, but the fact that the crew didn't is really what added tension. On top of that all of the emotion and tension involved with the lottery. I'm surprised there wasn't more of an uprising after all 15 were called.

I guess the beginning of that were put down by Sargent Greer. I enjoyed the conversation between him and Young towards the end as well. I think there is more to Greer than pissed off tough guy and he's becoming one of the more interesting characters for me.

I really didn't think Rush knew what was going to happen, so I'm surprised Young became so questioning of his motives. I'm wondering if there is more back story between the two than we've seen.

Okay, Eli needs to grow a pair. I hope he's like a young Dr. Jackson in that he needs to find himself and his confidence. Hopefully then he can become a cool bad ass and not a stuck up jackass like Rodney (although likable), and "mathboy" isn't cutting it. He sees Chloe run off with Scott and then he lets her cry on his shoulder and get all cuddly with him. I guess it's somewhat okay since the ship was about to be destroyed, but you have to draw the line somewhere. You know that's going to come to a head. I'm also a little puzzled by her line to Scott about being really close - they've had a few minutes of screen time together!
Very nice analysis, concur
Old 10-24-09, 11:09 AM

I'm also a little puzzled by her line to Scott about being really close - they've had a few minutes of screen time together!
That seemed really forced and out of place to me. We know soldier boy can't keep it in his pants, but hasn't Chloe spent far more time paling around with Eli? I guess Eli's been friend-zoned and one deep conversation about fathers means you're banging buddies in crazy chick land.

Oh, and I know we had the benefit of the title and that little monologue at the beginning, but given how smart this ship is supposed to be surely, even assuming Rush knew for sure, others would have been a little skeptical of the ship "accidently" heading into a star and certain doom.

And I really hope ship ex machina saving the day doesn't become commonplace.

Last edited by SteelWill; 10-24-09 at 11:15 AM.
Old 10-24-09, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

I was surprised with the direction they went. I was thinking that the ship was on a self destruct course kind of thing. Destroy itself in the sun so as to prevent its tech from falling into another race's hands.

I hope to God they keep Sam, Rodney et all to an absolute minimum.
Old 10-24-09, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I liked the predictable outcome of their situation. Didn't really care much for turning on the doctor. He is a bit of a jerk but I don't think he would let people die if he could stop it. Now if the accusation came from the black guy I could dig that. They already set him up as leader of the doctor haters.
Old 10-24-09, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Another good episode. I think the entire audience knew what was going to happen, but the fact that the crew didn't is really what added tension.
I profoundly disagree. It didn't add any tension for me at all. I spent far too much time rolling my eyes during this episode.

Spoiler:
We're going to crash into a star!

Oh wait, never mind, false alarm.

We're going to to be stranded forever on a rock!

Oh wait, never mind. Destiny is safe, so we can go back and join up.

The ship's moving away too fast! We'll never catch it!

Oh wait, never mind. We'll slingshot around the planet.

We're coming in too fast! We're gonna crash!

Oh wait, never mind. Use the maneuvering thrusters, and it's all good.

It was just one contrived emergency after another, with a corresponding last minute reprieve. And the fact that NONE of the characters (not even the resident geniuses) were even able to hazard a guess that the star might offer a source of power for the ship didn't instill much confidence in their ability to do, well, anything.

Oh, and the big "oooo, he might have known what was going to happen, but still let a bunch of people leave" ending? What a bunch of crap. Right, send away the only medic and capable (uninjured) pilot. And for what? So you can just call them back later? If he knew the ship was going to be safe, he knew they would have to rescue the shuttle. No logic at all.

I think that is one of the things I am most frustrated with about the show. NOTHING good happens. Just emergency after emergency, with an eventual reset to square one. There is no progress at all.

Last edited by RoboDad; 10-24-09 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-24-09, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RoboDad
I think that is one of the things I am most frustrated with about the show. NOTHING good happens. Just emergency after emergency, with an eventual reset to square one. There is no progress at all.
I have to disagree. I think that in and of itself is progress. In other series most of this stuff would have been wrapped up all in the first hour. I think the scene at the end where they were all sitting around laughing and joking shows that they finally had a moment the stop and breath. However, even though this didn't end on a cliffhanger I do not think their circumstances will change for the overall good for a while now. To me that is realistic and gritty. I'll grant you some of those examples you cited from the episode were "oh look easy solution" moments, but I think they were smaller and I don't think (at least hope) that not everything will be so easy and that there will be real consequences (more like the Senator dying).
Old 10-24-09, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

The Scott and Chloe thing was a disappointment. Last week it seemed like they were 2 people connecting without it having to be sexual or romantic. I was a nice moment.
The writers sure ruined that and turned it into a cliché.
Beside now we're supposed to root for a cheating dick (wasn't he invovled with James?)

Other than that it was a good episode.
Old 10-24-09, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I guess if you like soap opera melodrama, then that is progress. But I don't. And I don't find it to be realistic at all. And the whole "gritty" thing has always been lost on me. I don't perceive the world to be nearly as bleak as some apparently do.
Old 10-24-09, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I guess if you like soap opera melodrama, then that is progress. But I don't. And I don't find it to be realistic at all. And the whole "gritty" thing has always been lost on me. I don't perceive the world to be nearly as bleak as some apparently do.
Did you watch BSG? If you tried I'm guessing you didn't like it?
Old 10-24-09, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

the flying into the star was cool but it had way too much useless made up drama
it was obvious Destiny would some how get recharged since otherwise there would be no show
Old 10-24-09, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I figured it would have just been solar panels, so to actually scoop up star matter was actually pretty darn cool.

I will say the budget for the show so far doesn't seem to be showing. I wonder if it's cheap to produce? The CG looks top notch, but they haven't used a whole heck of a lot. SG-1 and Atlantis used to save up and then have some big CG episodes; I wonder if this is following the same pattern.
Old 10-24-09, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

It was just one contrived emergency after another, with a corresponding last minute reprieve. And the fact that NONE of the characters (not even the resident geniuses) were even able to hazard a guess that
Spoiler:
the star might offer a source of power for the ship
didn't instill much confidence in their ability to do, well, anything.
(respoilered for your convenience)

If I wanted a show where everyone had everything figured out all the time, I'd watch Star Trek The Next Generation.

I imagine Rush had an idea regarding what happened, but he either didn't feel strongly enough about it to risk the entire crew, or he didn't want to get into another argument with Young.

I wonder how many times they'll have to do this little maneuver?
Old 10-25-09, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,131 Posts

I profoundly disagree. It didn't add any tension for me at all. I spent far too much time rolling my eyes during this episode.

Spoiler:
We're going to crash into a star!

Oh wait, never mind, false alarm.

We're going to to be stranded forever on a rock!

Oh wait, never mind. Destiny is safe, so we can go back and join up.

The ship's moving away too fast! We'll never catch it!

Oh wait, never mind. We'll slingshot around the planet.

We're coming in too fast! We're gonna crash!

Oh wait, never mind. Use the maneuvering thrusters, and it's all good.

It was just one contrived emergency after another, with a corresponding last minute reprieve. And the fact that NONE of the characters (not even the resident geniuses) were even able to hazard a guess that the star might offer a source of power for the ship didn't instill much confidence in their ability to do, well, anything.

Oh, and the big "oooo, he might have known what was going to happen, but still let a bunch of people leave" ending? What a bunch of crap. Right, send away the only medic and capable (uninjured) pilot. And for what? So you can just call them back later? If he knew the ship was going to be safe, he knew they would have to rescue the shuttle. No logic at all.

Yeah when you think about it...it's "House MD" in space. They're using the same Formula on both shows.

Anyway, I liked the ep a lot. but I have to say the Doctor going from Humble Dude about to die back to Asshole right after everything worked out was annoying. This character is getting to be as bad as Lou Diamond's character.

I've said in past SGU threads that I'm worried about what they're doing with Doc Rush.
Old 10-25-09, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
I imagine Rush had an idea regarding what happened, but he either didn't feel strongly enough about it to risk the entire crew, or he didn't want to get into another argument with Young.
I generally agree
although in reality sending 15 random people on a shuttle to an unscouted planet was the same as sending them to their death
the difference being it'd be a long drawn out death where as flying into a star would have been fairly quick
Old 10-25-09, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Is Scott the only male getting some action on the ship?
Old 10-25-09, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Patman
Is Scott the only male getting some action on the ship?
He's clearly monopolizing the poon.
Old 10-25-09, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,131 Posts

If the Fat Kid was really smart he would've made a move on the Senator's daughter when they thought they were going to die.

The Doc could have rushed in just when she's about to give in and kiss him.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.