TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Glee -- "The Rhodes Not Taken" -- 9/30/09

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-09, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,135 Posts
Re: Glee -- "The Rhodes Not Taken" -- 9/30/09

Originally Posted by The Infidel
I agree that while Kristin is a welcome edition to pretty much any show, she did get a bit much camera time. But at the same time, the episode was about her character, so what are ya gonna do?
Feh, there can never be "too much" KC. That's like..."I have too much money"...there's no such thing.

But yeah, the ep was about her and how she stole the focus/Spotlight from the kids so it would seem the point was made.
Old 10-01-09, 09:35 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Was this the first time Quinn didn't wear her cheerleader outfit? I'm reminded of Claire in the first season of Heroes.
Old 10-01-09, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by The Infidel
Thank you for setting this up for me.
I don't think anyone else has said it, so I will: Thank you for the very detailed and thought-provoking post. That's good stuff.

Originally Posted by brayzie
Actually, I'm kind of surprised about the sexual themes in the show. First it was Rachel lecturing the Celibacy Club about not discussing protection. That would have made more sense if it had been in a abstinence-only sex education class. But a club that chooses to wait is getting lectured?

Then it implies that the guest star was having sex in the locker room with minors. In a show that's trying to deal serious with teenage pregnancy, the issue of promiscuous sex and STD's isn't addressed. Perhaps it will be, but it seems more like they're going the American Pie route.
The overtly sexual themes are what bother me about this show the most, especially since they set this up pre-season as being a family show. In a pre-season interview with the director, he indicated he expected parents to be watching this with their 8-year-olds. Methinks that he's a bit permissive on that route.

That said, I suppose I can get past their pre-season marketing, but I'm just really not enjoying the sexually-oriented stuff, because the show isn't as outlandish as American Pie. It still tries to take itself too seriously on other counts, which, I think, confuses us as viewers, leaving us wondering if we're watching a farce or a standard comedy/drama. That's why I said, I'm seeing I just have to "go with it" until they settle on a direction. I'm willing to give them time.
Old 10-01-09, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
I don't think anyone else has said it, so I will: Thank you for the very detailed and thought-provoking post. That's good stuff.

The overtly sexual themes are what bother me about this show the most, especially since they set this up pre-season as being a family show. In a pre-season interview with the director, he indicated he expected parents to be watching this with their 8-year-olds. Methinks that he's a bit permissive on that route.

That said, I suppose I can get past their pre-season marketing, but I'm just really not enjoying the sexually-oriented stuff, because the show isn't as outlandish as American Pie. It still tries to take itself too seriously on other counts, which, I think, confuses us as viewers, leaving us wondering if we're watching a farce or a standard comedy/drama. That's why I said, I'm seeing I just have to "go with it" until they settle on a direction. I'm willing to give them time.
I see the show as a kindve a cross between Election and Bring it on.
It is definitely not Saved By the Bell.
I do think they are trying a lot of different styles here and it's still trying to find it's groove.
Old 10-02-09, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I had to laugh that Sandy's last name is Ryerson. Didn't that actor play "Ned Ryerson" in Groundhog Day?
Old 10-02-09, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Last edited by The Infidel; 10-02-09 at 01:34 AM.
Old 10-02-09, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Surprisingly, this was probably my least favorite episode of the series so far. I loved KC on Pushing Daisies, but something just seemed off about her here. She was overly tanned. Did no one else notice just how bad her skin looked? I also liked her performances better on Pushing Daisies as well. I thought Rachel had a much better performance in the duet. It may be just personal preference. Plus, her drunk act was not very funny, and I am a fan of most of the humor in this show.

I also wasn't a big fan of the songs in this episode for some reason. They just didn't strike a chord for me.

Also, Flinn is just not good. Is it only me? I said it in the pilot, and I will say it here, his voice is too weak for people to be going to apeshit over him in the show.

Give me more Quinn. Just have her on screen the entire time, and I'm happy. She is just gorgeous.
Old 10-02-09, 09:47 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 841 Posts

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
Ditto. I forwarded it to my wife, and she was really happy that someone could better express the same feelings she has about the show.
Old 10-02-09, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Surprisingly, this was probably my least favorite episode of the series so far. I loved KC on Pushing Daisies, but something just seemed off about her here. She was overly tanned. Did no one else notice just how bad her skin looked? I also liked her performances better on Pushing Daisies as well. I thought Rachel had a much better performance in the duet. It may be just personal preference. Plus, her drunk act was not very funny, and I am a fan of most of the humor in this show.

I also wasn't a big fan of the songs in this episode for some reason. They just didn't strike a chord for me.

Also, Flinn is just not good. Is it only me? I said it in the pilot, and I will say it here, his voice is too weak for people to be going to apeshit over him in the show.

Give me more Quinn. Just have her on screen the entire time, and I'm happy. She is just gorgeous.
KC's character was an aging, down-on-her-luck alcoholic. What did you expect her to look like, Scarlett Johannson?

Who's going apeshit over Finn in the show? He has a decent voice, and Will is just trying to help him improve it. I think that was the idea of casting this kid in the part. His voice is okay, and there's room to make it better, just like his character. I'm sure he's taking vocal lessons between shooting, and I'm sure we'll see improvements as he gets better, and as his character gains more confidence.
Old 10-02-09, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It didn't look like makeup. It looked like she would look terrible in real life as well as her part.

I guess considering he's the male lead and he gets the main role in songs needing a male voice, even over the mohawk kid, that they must think he is better.

Look, I'm a fan of the show. I'm just not as familiar with some of the songs this week as the rest of you are so that may have led to me not liking them as much.

Also, I just didn't really like her character, and I didn't like the way she was singing the cabaret song. I'm not saying it to rag on the show, I like the show. That was just my feedback.
Old 10-02-09, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

The lip-syncing is still annoying the wife and I.

I like how Chenoweth continues to use her cleavage in a supporting role.
Old 10-02-09, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That was just my feedback.
I know. And I was giving mine.
Old 10-02-09, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I had to laugh that Sandy's last name is Ryerson. Didn't that actor play "Ned Ryerson" in Groundhog Day?
well, it better be or else you laughed for nothing!
Old 10-02-09, 04:24 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

so when is the Idina Menzel episode gonna happen?
Old 10-03-09, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably been posted elsewhere, but the soundtrack is out in a month (spoilered because some of the tracks will be on upcoming episodes):

Spoiler:

Glee: The Music, Volume 1
1. "Don't Stop Believing" (feat. Cory Monteith, Lea Michele, Amber Riley, Kevin McHale, Jenna Ushkowitz, Chris Colfer)
2. "Can't Fight This Feeling" (feat. Cory Monteith)
3. "Gold Digger" (feat. Matthew Morrison, Amber Riley, Corey Monteith, Lea Michele, Kevin McHale, Chris Colfer, Jenna Ushkowitz)
4. "Take a Bow" (feat. Lea Michele, Amber Riley, Jenna Ushkowitz)
5. "Bust Your Windows" (feat. Amber Riley)
6. "Taking Chances" (feat. Lea Michele)
7. "Alone" (feat. Kristin Chenoweth, Matthew Morrison)
8. "Maybe This Time" (feat. Kristin Chenoweth, Lea Michele)
9. "Somebody to Love" (feat. Lea Michele, Amber Riley, Cory Monteith, Kevin McHale, Jenna Ushkowitz, Chris Colfer, Dianna Agron, Naya Rivera, Heather Morris, Mark Salling, Harry Shum Jr., Dijon Talton)
10. "Hate on Me"
11. "No Air" (feat. Cory Monteith, Lea Michele)
12. "You Keep Me Hangin' On"
13. "Keep Holding On"
14. "Bust a Move" (feat. Matthew Morrison)
15. "Sweet Caroline" (feat. Mark Salling)
16. "Dancing with Myself"
17. "Defying Gravity" (feat. Lea Michele, Chris Colfer)

http://www.foxflash.com/div.php/main...25z1z8&ID=5295
Old 10-04-09, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

So I just got hooked and burned though all five episodes this weekend. Can someone answer this for me though: obviously they are dubbing, but are they dubbing the songs with studio tracks of the actors really singing? Or are the singing voices completely different people?
Old 10-04-09, 05:17 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Everybody on the show sings their own part.
Old 10-04-09, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,676 Likes on 1,044 Posts

I'm still fascinated by the complaints about dubbing. Glee is a musical, and every movie or TV version of a musical has always been dubbed...from Singing in the Rain to Buffy's Once More With Feeling to Hairspray. Live vocals just wouldn't sound good at all, and I've been a singer for years. The music just wouldn't be as effective, and it never even phased me to hear the music performed this way.

I'm just amazed anyone would have an issue with it. The alternative would be terrible.
Old 10-04-09, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
Everybody on the show sings their own part.
Yeah there was an interview with Cory and Lea for an Australian radio station where they mentioned that they record the songs in a studio a day or two before filming. Then when the show is filmed they actually sing along (not just lip syncing) with the recording of themselves. But what we hear on television is that studio version.
Old 10-04-09, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,033 Likes on 851 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
I'm still fascinated by the complaints about dubbing. Glee is a musical, and every movie or TV version of a musical has always been dubbed...from Singing in the Rain to Buffy's Once More With Feeling to Hairspray. Live vocals just wouldn't sound good at all, and I've been a singer for years. The music just wouldn't be as effective, and it never even phased me to hear the music performed this way.

I'm just amazed anyone would have an issue with it. The alternative would be terrible.
+1. One of the Sound of Music bonus features shows the kids romping around one of the sets with "Do Re Mi" blaring out of loudspeakers. Granted that's an extreme case with multiple locations, but the basic rule is the same: logistically it's just too difficult to record live with good results. Syncing to another person's vocals is another issue entirely (not that there haven't been some great movies done that way).

He's no Lea Michele, but he's the best they have. I'll go out on a limb with a blatant and potentially offensive generalization: it's easier to find talented women for this kind of activity than it is to find talented men. Sort of like coed softball in reverse.
Old 10-04-09, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I just realized that Lea was in Spring Awakening...I knew she looked familiar. That means I've seen her naked...yay.

Everyone on this show is so talented, I had no idea I'd like it so much. It's really a lot of fun.
Old 10-05-09, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven

I don't have a problem that they aren't singing live. I wouldn't expect them to. I just don't understand why it looks so off in this show. It's like they don't match the recordings properly, or the lips aren't moving the way they should, but it is way more noticeable than I have noticed on other musicals.
Old 10-05-09, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,676 Likes on 1,044 Posts

I'm pretty sensitive to lip-synching (I watch shoulders to see if they are taking breaths) and I think it's fine. Looks like they are singing along for the most part.
Old 10-06-09, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't have a problem that they aren't singing live. I wouldn't expect them to. I just don't understand why it looks so off in this show. It's like they don't match the recordings properly, or the lips aren't moving the way they should, but it is way more noticeable than I have noticed on other musicals.
I shot and edited a music video, and I didn't find it THAT hard. It certainly takes time, but I could only notice 3 places in a 5 minute video where the audio and lip syncing were off... and that was only cause I watched the damn thing about 500 times.
Old 10-07-09, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder if there's any connection between the part on Glee and the video she did for funnyordie.com. In Glee she was April Rhodes, an alcoholic, and in the video she did for funnyordie she played an interventionist, which was written by Amy Rhodes.

<object width="480" height="400" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" id="ordie_player_aa15baae2b"><param name="movie" value="http://player.ordienetworks.com/flash/fodplayer.swf" /><param name="flashvars" value="key=aa15baae2b" /><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed width="480" height="400" flashvars="key=aa15baae2b" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" quality="high" src="http://player.ordienetworks.com/flash/fodplayer.swf" name="ordie_player_aa15baae2b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed></object>

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.