TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Glee -- "Acafellas" -- 9/16/09

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-09, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,678 Likes on 1,045 Posts
Re: Glee -- "Acafellas" -- 9/16/09

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
I enjoyed it, but it's still more risque than I prefer for what's being billed as a "family comedy." No way I'd want my little ones watching.
How is it being billed as a "family comedy?" It's from the creator of Nip/Tuck for god's sake.

Enjoyed this episode too (the "Acafellas" name is inspired...I've actually been involved in the naming of several acappella groups in my life and we never came up with that one) but I didn't dig the music as much this week. Mostly because Rachel didn't have any big numbers and she's the one I want to hear the most.

But I am thrilled by the attention the show is getting. As a former show and jazz choir member myself (similar to the Vocal Adrenaline group...going to competitions, hiriing choreographers, 6 hours of rehearsals on Saturdays, etc...back in 1990-1994) it's amazing that it's getting that kind of attention today.
Old 09-17-09, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
I enjoyed it, but it's still more risque than I prefer for what's being billed as a "family comedy." No way I'd want my little ones watching.

I disagree on the "I Wanna Sex You Up" being good. I enjoy the comedy, but c'mon--no way teachers and male students going to perform that song together at a PTA meeting, especially after being reamed last week for the assembly. They'd all be fired and it'd be a national controversy on FoxNews. I thought it crossed the line between funny and stupid on that one.
The pervy teacher with the glasses talked himself into the group for the sole purpose of performing for Josh Groban, and I'm sure he chose that song in some kind of weird attempt to turn Josh on. And we all saw Josh's reaction backstage. I thought the comedic intent was spot-on.
Old 09-17-09, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Enjoyed this episode too (the "Acafellas" name is inspired...I've actually been involved in the naming of several acappella groups in my life and we never came up with that one) but I didn't dig the music as much this week. Mostly because Rachel didn't have any big numbers and she's the one I want to hear the most.
Looks like she's back in the spotlight next week, according to the previews. Looking forward to it!
Old 09-17-09, 01:49 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 935 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by Howiefan
Everybody is singing their part but they're lipsyncing to songs they have previously recorded in the studio.
really? everyone? the singing voice and acting voice just didn't sound the same on some at all. Shuster, Rachel yes. but the others, the jocks, the Coach, even Mercedes sounded way off...

gtk that they are all doing the singing however. makes sense and i figured they would only go with actors that could belt it out liek that, but the syncing just sounds and looks so off that it bothers me a bit.

still love the show though.
Old 09-17-09, 01:51 PM

How is it being billed as a "family comedy?" It's from the creator of Nip/Tuck for god's sake.
i noticed at least one week, maybe last was rated TV-14 with D(suggestive dialogue), L(anguage), S(exual Situations).

Last edited by OldBoy; 09-17-09 at 01:53 PM.
Old 09-17-09, 01:53 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by scott1598
really? everyone? the singing voice and acting voice just didn't sound the same on some at all. Shuster, Rachel yes. but the others, the jocks, the Coach, even Mercedes sounded way off...

gtk that they are all doing the singing however. makes sense and i figured they would only go with actors that could belt it out liek that, but the syncing just sounds and looks so off that it bothers me a bit.

still love the show though.
I agree, the episode last week where the cheerios sang/auditioned, it definately sounded and looked dubbed.
Old 09-17-09, 01:55 PM

so only 13 episodes this season? or could they do more if show is at least modest success?
Old 09-17-09, 04:36 PM
Zee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But I am thrilled by the attention the show is getting. As a former show and jazz choir member myself (similar to the Vocal Adrenaline group...going to competitions, hiriing choreographers, 6 hours of rehearsals on Saturdays, etc...back in 1990-1994) it's amazing that it's getting that kind of attention today.
I too am so excited to see a show like this on the air, and am particularly thrilled for the Broadway actors that are getting this opportunity (even tonight's guest stars were mostly theatre folk). But I have to admit that despite its more risque moments, the show so far is a little sickly sweet for my taste. The "we'll win because we're different" thing isn't anything we haven't seen before, and frankly I don't know what storyline there is besides the hysterical pregnancy, which has nothing to do with the Glee club. They're gonna have to make me fall in love with the characters before I decide to stick around for the long haul.
Old 09-17-09, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,679 Likes on 2,646 Posts

so only 13 episodes this season? or could they do more if show is at least modest success?
As of right now, No

Human Target, the new show with Mark Valley, Chi McBride and the guy from Watchmen is taking over this timeslot in January.
Old 09-17-09, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Victor Garber and Josh Groban were on but neither of them sung???
Old 09-17-09, 10:18 PM
Zee

Originally Posted by riley_dude
Victor Garber and Josh Groban were on but neither of them sung???
And the guy who played the thumbless teacher is a Tony Award winner! He had like half a solo line.
Old 09-17-09, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,035 Likes on 853 Posts

Agreed it wasn't quite as good, but lol at Josh Groban and some other stuff
Old 09-17-09, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Zee
I too am so excited to see a show like this on the air, and am particularly thrilled for the Broadway actors that are getting this opportunity (even tonight's guest stars were mostly theatre folk). But I have to admit that despite its more risque moments, the show so far is a little sickly sweet for my taste. The "we'll win because we're different" thing isn't anything we haven't seen before, and frankly I don't know what storyline there is besides the hysterical pregnancy, which has nothing to do with the Glee club. They're gonna have to make me fall in love with the characters before I decide to stick around for the long haul.
Yeah it kind of feels like they're sacrificing plot at the expense of the musical numbers. And don't get me wrong, the music is great and an integral part of the show, but when there are five songs during 42ish minutes of programming, it doesn't leave a lot of time to flesh out a plot and characters.

That said, I think they're moving things forward a bit. It's good to see a little more development for the football coach, the other football player, and the head cheerleader.

But it does sometimes seem like the show is simultaneously written by a funny, sarcastic person (the "gag reflex" line from last week, all the cougar bits this week, Josh Groban, and the line about "we started having sex once a week" line this week ) and at the same time having parts written by a cheesy 12-year-old (the lesson learned by the cheerleader, "we'll win because we're different", etc.).

Overall I'm really enjoying it though. Wish they had gotten a full season order, especially with all the promo they put behind it.
Old 09-18-09, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

I'm glad there are five songs per show, although I was a little bored by the first half of the show. I would hate to have a musical show on, and there is one number per episode. This is a good mix to me.

Mercedes' song was fantastic. I love the actual song, and this version was probably even better.
Old 09-18-09, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Achtung
Yeah it kind of feels like they're sacrificing plot at the expense of the musical numbers. And don't get me wrong, the music is great and an integral part of the show, but when there are five songs during 42ish minutes of programming, it doesn't leave a lot of time to flesh out a plot and characters.

That said, I think they're moving things forward a bit. It's good to see a little more development for the football coach, the other football player, and the head cheerleader.

But it does sometimes seem like the show is simultaneously written by a funny, sarcastic person (the "gag reflex" line from last week, all the cougar bits this week, Josh Groban, and the line about "we started having sex once a week" line this week ) and at the same time having parts written by a cheesy 12-year-old (the lesson learned by the cheerleader, "we'll win because we're different", etc.).

Overall I'm really enjoying it though. Wish they had gotten a full season order, especially with all the promo they put behind it.
This.

There are some terrible softball lines throughout the first 3 episodes. A lot of them in fact. Ya, I don't really know how they can have those lines in with the great one liners all over the place.
Old 09-18-09, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,982 Likes on 1,534 Posts

I thought the plot was a big letdown. The humor and singing were on par with the other episodes, which is good, but the plot... ugh.

The teacher can't even muster enthusiasm for the Glee club, and pretty much ditches them for his own acapella group. It didn't even seem like it was because of his feelings were hurt about the whole choreograph issue. It was just that he found something else to focus on. This is the second time in three episodes that he quit on them. His line about being a "good teacher" at the end was laughable.

The coach wants the Glee club shut down so she can get her funding back, but apparently the cheerios can raise 8000 in one car wash any time they want.

Football jock all of a sudden becomes a singer despite ridiculing Finn for two episodes because he's a cougar chaser now?

The "reveal" at the end lacked some punch because it seemed so obvious to everyone.

I am surprised at all the musical talent on the cast. Didn't think the guy playing Ken Tanaka or the linen's n' things worker would be able to sing. Also good to see another SYTYCD alum getting a role (I know she was in the opener too).

Last edited by fujishig; 09-18-09 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-18-09, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm guessing every single role cast on this show was required to be a good singer.

I'm just waiting for the musical number featuring Sue Sylvester!
Old 09-18-09, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

the only thing that takes me out a bit is knowing most actors are not singing their parts. right? does that bother anyone else?
Two of the cast members (Matthew Morrison and Lea Michele) have had leading roles in recent Broadway hits - so yeah, they can sing, and do! And as others have said, there's a lot of lip-synching, but they do indeed sing.
Old 09-19-09, 06:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it's returning in the Spring, after the Human Target's run, following American Idol.
Old 09-19-09, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This episode was my first, and I enjoyed it. If the consensus is this one was sub-par, then I'll look forward to the next ep.

Is there always a musical number like the one at the car wash where its not a stage performance of some kind?
Old 09-19-09, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,679 Likes on 2,646 Posts

Originally Posted by BGPu
I think it's returning in the Spring, after the Human Target's run, following American Idol.
Human Target is 12 episodes though. It will complete it's run by late March/early April. There is no way they can get the back 9 in by May sweeps in time unless it moves to a different night.
Old 09-19-09, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlieK
Is there always a musical number like the one at the car wash where its not a stage performance of some kind?
No. In the pilot, there was nothing like this. In the second episode, there was a song at the end kind of like this, but not as blatant. The main girl started singing to herself and they spliced in shots of her singing as she watched things happen around her. But this was an all-and-out departure. I'm mixed as to how I feel about it, but I think we'll see more of it as it'll be easier to insert these story-wise than always find reasons to show practice numbers.
Old 09-20-09, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Achtung
, all the cougar bits this week, Josh Groban, and the line about "we started having sex once a week" line this week )
I found it funny how focused Puck was on getting that MILF poon. From cleaning the pools, to joining the group. All beacuse there were gonna be moms there.
Old 09-21-09, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Also good to see another SYTYCD alum getting a role (I know she was in the opener too).
I think it is someone in Vocal Adrenaline, but not sure who. Any help?

THanks
Old 09-21-09, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,982 Likes on 1,534 Posts

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre
I think it is someone in Vocal Adrenaline, but not sure who. Any help?

THanks
Lauren from, I think, the 2008 season (she also helped in choreography last season and a few seasons before she was a contestant):

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2689943/

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.