TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Jay Leno - Shows, Projects, and News

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-09, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Jay Leno - Shows, Projects, and News

Originally Posted by AVP77
As someone who's not a regular watcher of late-night shows, but had the potential to be roped in, I watched about half of this (up until the Obama "interview" was done) and thought, "This is the best they can come up with for a premiere?" You would think they'd put in some effort. I guess I just don't like Leno's humour at all.
Those "interview" things are a favorite thing of Leno's to do. I find them to be the least favorite thing that he does.

I thought this was just his version of the Tonight Show on shuffle play. Same bits, just changed around. I am not saying that in a bad way, but it didn't break any ground either. Of course, Leno came out himself in several interviews and said he wasn't breaking any ground and that he wasn't out to "save TV." Which I thought was kind of cool...trying to downplay the hype. And this has been a VERY overhyped TV show.
Old 09-14-09, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 604 Likes on 435 Posts

ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz z z zzz z
Old 09-15-09, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Pretty much what I expected. Nothing great, nothing particularly funny, just meh. I'll tune in from time to time to see what's up but I don't think this is something I'd watch regularly.
Old 09-15-09, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

"the primetime band" seriously? Oh look, I changed up the order in which things are done from the tonight show.. How fresh!

This sucker will either tank because there's better options out there at 10pm or enough morons will tune in and keep this afloat. Either way, it's the same exact tonight show but with a different name. Even has the same amount of unfunny material!
Old 09-15-09, 12:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^So much hatred... why even bother watching? Nothing better to do with your life?

Anyway, wasn't bad, wasn't great. I'll tune in from time to time like I did with the Tonight Show.
Old 09-15-09, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I can't stand Conan O'Brien, never could. Fallon shouldn't even be on television in any capacity. I've always liked Leno, so by the standards of this forum I probably have bad taste. Whatever.
Old 09-15-09, 01:06 AM

Wasn't that bad. I could have been much worse than what it was. Thought it was odd that he didn't hype up that tomorrow night he's going to have Tom Cruise on and whomever he's going to have on as a musical guest. I thought at least at the end of the show he would make a point to say whom tomorrow nights guest was going to be.
Old 09-15-09, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought Leno said he didn't want to have musical guests on this show because it wasn't something special anymore - just youtube whatever band you want to see live and you can see tons of stuff... did his stance change because they are having trouble booking guests or was the Jay-Z thing an exception for the premiere?

Thought it was alright - but the Dan Band stuff was too long (funny in movies when you can swear, just sort of boring here) and the Obama interview felt like Daily Show Lite... not good. I like the idea of just two people sitting in chairs for the interview but wish he had touched on Curb more.... mostly just meh but until shows I like return to this timeslot, I'll stick with it.
Old 09-15-09, 08:26 AM

I fell asleep during Leno Cheaters Bit. We are giving up half a season of Chuck for this? Sheesh...
Old 09-15-09, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Perhaps the game plan at NBC is to have all this bad comedy crap on during the week so that this season SNL will seem funnier.
Old 09-15-09, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 914 Likes on 649 Posts

Originally Posted by mdc3000
I thought Leno said he didn't want to have musical guests on this show because it wasn't something special anymore - just youtube whatever band you want to see live and you can see tons of stuff... did his stance change because they are having trouble booking guests or was the Jay-Z thing an exception for the premiere?
I think this is what he wanted. Standard music act, no, but performances with multiple artists was the target all along. It's probably in the previous Leno thread.
Old 09-15-09, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.thrfeed.com/2009/09/jay-l...e-ratings.html

'Jay Leno Show' premiere gets strong start

Leno seinfeld Based on preliminary ratings, NBC's "The Jay Leno Show" is off to a strong start.

Leno pulled a 12.1 preliminary metered-market household rating and 19 share for the debut of NBC's high-wire-act 10 p.m. comedy show.

That's 70% stronger than the final national household rating for Conan O'Brien's "Tonight Show" debut last June (7.1 HH rating, 17 share, 9.2 million viewers and a 3.8 adults 18-49 rating) and 38% higher than Leno's final "Tonight Show" last May (8.8 HH rating, 20 share, 11.9 million viewers and a 3.4 rating).

Leno's preliminary total viewers and adult demo number for last night's telecast will be available and posted around 8:30 a.m. PST. The early household rating, pulled from 56 top local markets, gives a fairly reliable first-blush indication from Nielsen Media Research how a show performed. One cannot extract an exact total viewer number and adult demo rating from a HH rating, but you would expect Leno's 12.1 to translate to more than 10 million viewers and an adults 18-49 rating that's somewhere in the low 4s.

Plenty of media stories have recent opined that Leno's premiere ratings do not matter because the show's fate will be determined in months rather than weeks. This is also what NBC has been repeating to reporters in every conversation. But saying "the premiere doesn't matter" is like saying the first primary in a presidential race doesn't matter because it doesn't choose the president.

Leno's premiere matters -- though it matters far more for one outcome than it did for the other.

Leno opening strong doesn't mean much because the industry knows it doesn't signal where the show will settle and that there will be significant drops in the coming days.

But if Leno had performed poorly Monday night -- below what NBC expected -- despite a huge build up and millions of marketing dollars ... that would have been meaningful because it would have signaled that NBC overestimated the appeal of shifting Leno to 10 p.m. A crash out of the gate could also have put a stigma around the show that could have impacted critics, public perception, booking guests and advertising.
Old 09-15-09, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
Medium is now on CBS

What? NBC gave up Medium to CBS? Was it because of Leno? WOW.. I have never watched CBS before, but know that medium is there I will have to tune in. I just can't see Leno making it for 5 nights a week? They should of made it 2 or 3...

Last edited by ANDREMIKE; 09-15-09 at 09:33 AM.
Old 09-15-09, 09:39 AM

I was a regular viewer of Leno's Tonight Show, but this debut episode wasn't that good. It really did seem like a condensed version of the Tonight Show, but using the worst sketches such as the fake interview or having Jay act in one.
Old 09-15-09, 09:42 AM

I found it too similiar to his late-night show, though why I would expect anything else is beyond me. Leno's OK, but ultimately too vanilla to hold my interest for long. I'll watch on occasion, but it won't be regular viewing for me.
Old 09-15-09, 10:03 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptStormy
I fell asleep during Leno Cheaters Bit. We are giving up half a season of Chuck for this? Sheesh...
When has Chuck ever aired at 10pm? Oh, right, never.
Old 09-15-09, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 604 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by spamurai
^So much hatred... why even bother watching? Nothing better to do with your life?

Anyway, wasn't bad, wasn't great. I'll tune in from time to time like I did with the Tonight Show.
How can I have an informed opinion bad or good without actually watching the show.

And the nothing better to do with your life is a tired and lazy response to someone else's opinion.
Old 09-15-09, 11:37 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
When has Chuck ever aired at 10pm? Oh, right, never.
Five hours of prime-time programming is five hours of prime-time programming. I don't know that they would have brought Chuck back in the fall if not for Leno, but it is clearly not an unlikely possibility.

I watched the first episode and I'm of two minds. On the one hand, it was as agressively unfunny as the Tonight Show ever was. On the other hand, Leno made Kanye cry, which makes him OK in my book.
Old 09-15-09, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
I can't stand Conan O'Brien, never could. Fallon shouldn't even be on television in any capacity. I've always liked Leno, so by the standards of this forum I probably have bad taste. Whatever.
Conan and Fallon are far superior to Leno, IMO. Of course, Colbert is the King of late night.
Old 09-15-09, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

ALL it is, is just The Tonight Show 90 minutes earlier. There's just your 11:00 news sandwiched between Jay and Conan now.
Old 09-15-09, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I prefer Leno over Conan. Fallon is just unwatchable.

Glad to see the huge numbers for Leno and I enjoyed the show last night except for the lame/boring theme song. They will obviously decrease from this premiere, but I have a feeling he will hold at a nice, steady number.

The viewership barely went down during the hour...

(18-49 rating/share),(18-34/rating share),(viewers P2+) by half hour

10P 5.0/12, 3.7/10, 18.094M

10:30P 5.2/14, 4.3/13 17.22

Source: tvbythenumbers.com
Old 09-15-09, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nightwing82
The viewership barely went down during the hour...
That's what I would have expected. Kanye was in the 2nd half of the show.
Old 09-15-09, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Good numbers, yes. But luck was on Leno's side with Kanye-gate. Once the novelty wears off, and the other networks have something other than reruns, these numbers will plummet.
Old 09-15-09, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts

I think Leno is better at interviewing, though isn't especially great at it, than Conan but I enjoy Conan a whole hell of a lot more. Fallon, I agree, isn't so good.

18m is crazy.
Old 09-15-09, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 914 Likes on 649 Posts

Screw everbody... LONG LIVE FERGUSON!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.