Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The 2009 MTV Video Music Awards 9/13/09 Hosted by Russel Brand

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-09, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 262 Likes on 192 Posts
Re: The 2009 MTV Video Music Awards 9/13/09 Hosted by Russel Brand

Wow, I just came across this on Yahoo. What a fucking asshole.
Old 09-14-09, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant
1. You are very wrong about Taylor Swift not having "artistic creation in her line of work" in her line of work.
-She writes much of her own music
-She has also written Killie Pickler's second single "Best Days of Your Life", which has been a big hit
-The New York Times described Swift as "one of pop's finest songwriters, country’s foremost pragmatist and more in touch with her inner life than most adults".

2. As far as calling her a "White b****", you must have some facts to back this up, but I am sure you do not. Here are some things she has done to help other:
-On September 21, 2007, Swift launched a campaign to protect children from online predators.
-She has teamed up with Tennessee Governor Phil Bredesen to combat internet sex crimes.
-In early 2008, Swift donated the pink Chevy pick-up truck given to her by her record label to children’s charity
-in June, 2008, Swift donated all the proceeds she got from her merchandise sales at the 2008 Country Music Festival to Red Cross (the Nashville Area Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund and the National American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund.)
-Swift donated $10,000, funded by CMT ONE COUNTRY, to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital
-She donated $5,000. funded by CMT, to American Red Cross
-Swift donated $100,000 to the Red Cross in Cedar Rapids, Iowa to help the victims of the Iowa flood of 2008.
Swift has teamed up with Sound Matters to make listeners aware of listening "responsibly".[94] Swift supports @15, a teen-led social change platform underwritten by Best Buy to give teens opportunities to direct the company's philanthropy through the newly-created @15 Fund. Swift's song, "Fifteen", is featured in this campaign.
Swift has lent her support to the Victorian Bushfire Appeal by joining the lineup at Sydney's Sound Relief concert, reportedly making the biggest contribution of any artist playing at Sound Relief to the Australian Red Cross.
-Swift donated her prom dress, which raised $1,200 for charity, to DonateMyDress dot org

Sounds like she is a kind hearted young lady that can be a good example to other young ladies in the USA. If you want to call her names, please back it up.

It sounds like you maybe racist, "Beyonce of the white bitch up there", that is up for you to judge yourself.
Oh, SNAP!
Old 09-14-09, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant
-Swift donated $100,000 to the Red Cross in Cedar Rapids, Iowa to help the victims of the Iowa flood of 2008.
Just glanced through this first, but now rereading it I completely missed this. This is where I live/work. I had no idea. That's pretty goddamn awesome.
Old 09-14-09, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 294 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by superfro
MUSE blew fucking doors down. Their performance was awesome and that entire room had some crazy ass energy.
THANK YOU! Yes, they were fantastic as usual. How could anyone call that just "o.k."? Q Magazine continues to name them the best live act in the world. And it's true. I've probably seen close to 250 concerts in my lifetime, and no one matches Muse's live performances.

Like someone else said, I think most of the live performances this year were pretty damn good. Pink and Green Day were runners up as the best last night IMO (behind Muse). My respect for Pink just keeps growing, with her comments about douchebag Kanye. Would have LOVED to have seen him try to pull that shit on her had she won. He also would never do that to a man, because he's a huge pussy. Can't wait to hear what Chelsea Hanlder has to say about all of this on her show. She hates him with a passion.
Old 09-14-09, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by chuckd21
I'll get right on that, unbiased citizen.
Sure, I am a fan of Madonna. That has nothing to do with this situation. I think people who make snide comments about anyone over something like their accent, should really grow up.
Old 09-14-09, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Daytripper
THANK YOU! Yes, they were fantastic as usual. How could anyone call that just "o.k."? Q Magazine continues to name them the best live act in the world. And it's true. I've probably seen close to 250 concerts in my lifetime, and no one matches Muse's live performances.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, if I had a time machine with a single use, I'd use to attend their Wembley HAARP show.

I WILL see them....someday.
Old 09-14-09, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you guys please stay on topic. This thread has nothing to do with the Muse or Pink or P!nk or Green Day or Green D@y performances.

This thread is about how much of a douche Kanye is.
Old 09-14-09, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pinata242
Can you guys please stay on topic. This thread has nothing to do with the Muse or Pink or P!nk or Green Day or Green D@y performances.

This thread is about how much of a douche Kanye is.
Well, in my defense, I did talk about said bands AND called him a douche in the same post

But yes, this thread should be dedicated to the ass hole that is Kanye West.
Old 09-14-09, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 222 Likes on 171 Posts

Not that these awards would ever be in Nashville, but if West had pulled this crap on Swift there, he would have had a lot of difficulty in that town afterward.
Old 09-14-09, 04:44 PM

Received 835 Likes on 546 Posts

Old 09-14-09, 04:44 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 985 Likes on 822 Posts

Like someone else said, I think most of the live performances this year were pretty damn good. Pink and Green Day were runners up as the best last night IMO (behind Muse). My respect for Pink just keeps growing, with her comments about douchebag Kanye. Would have LOVED to have seen him try to pull that shit on her had she won. He also would never do that to a man, because he's a huge pussy. Can't wait to hear what Chelsea Hanlder has to say about all of this on her show. She hates him with a passion.
i say they were ok because they played the same exact song i hear on the radio ("Uprising" right?). they didn't add anything new to it. they just sang it, perhaps well, but sounded exactly the same.

i want live performances to wow me with the live vocals doing something a little unique as every other performer last night did with the same ole' songs.

they were just so so in that performance. perhaps other live performances they truly rock and perhaps you really like the band which may skew your enjoyment as well, but not so much to me last night. a little boring too.

Last edited by OldBoy; 09-14-09 at 04:49 PM.
Old 09-14-09, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by scott1598
i say they are ok because they played the same exact song i hear on the radio. they didn't add anything new to it. they just sang it, perhaps well, but sounded exactly the same.

i want live performances to wow me with the live vocals doing something a little unique as every other performer last night did with the same ole' songs.

they were just so so in that performance. perhaps other live performances they truly rock and perhaps you really like the band which may skew your enjoyment as well, but not so much to me last night. a little boring too.
So basically they should've done it as a trapeze act?
Old 09-14-09, 05:01 PM

So basically they should've done it as a trapeze act?
yes. that is exactly what i said.
Old 09-14-09, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

yes. that is exactly what i said.
Wait....what about on a trapeze covered in glitter and blood. And then they left with a long drawn out exit with the camera following them and we could watch them all drive off in their 8 car motorcade while Lady Gaga and Alicia Keys did a dueling piano routine?
Old 09-14-09, 05:15 PM

Wait....what about on a trapeze covered in glitter and blood. And then they left with a long drawn out exit with the camera following them and we could watch them all drive off in their 8 car motorcade while Lady Gaga and Alicia Keys did a dueling piano routine?
where in my previous post did i say anything about the performance part of the performances?

i talked about vocals and being unique in vocals and not sounding like the same song i hear on the radio. vocals. the other performers busted it from the gut with the vocals.

even if you don't like Green Day or P!nk or GaGa i defy you to tell me their vocal performances were the ones you hear every other hour on Z-100 or something. and P!nk busted it while suspended 20 feet or so in the air. you heard her live and breathy and all that. you certainly don't hear huffing and puffing on XM.
Old 09-14-09, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

where in my previous post did i say anything about the performance part of the performances?

i talked about vocals and being unique in vocals and not sounding like the same song i hear on the radio. vocals. the other performers busted it from the gut with the vocals.

even if you don't like Green Day or P!nk or GaGa i defy you to tell me their vocal performances were the ones you hear every other hour on Z-100 or something. and P!nk busted it while suspended 20 feet or so in the air. you heard her live and breathy and all that. you certainly don't hear huffing and puffing on XM.
It's too late. I've already called the MUSE police. I'm guessing they're going to start by looking for your missing sense of humor. Once they find that I'm sure we'll be able to clear all this up.

That's what you get for defying me!

I get what you're saying man. I'm just trying to have fun. The thing with Muse is they definitely don't sound different vocal wise for the most part in live performances. It's part of the reason I love them. Matt Bellamy sounds just as good live as he does on any recording. Sometimes almost identical. My thing with Muse live is all the tweaks they do on the instrumental level.

Last edited by superfro; 09-14-09 at 05:26 PM.
Old 09-14-09, 05:24 PM

It's too late. I've already called the MUSE police. I'm guessing they're going to start by looking for your missing sense of humor. Once they find that I'm sure we'll be able to clear all this up.

That's what you get for defying me!
vocals

Spoiler:
ps) Kanye is an asshole.
Old 09-14-09, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 463 Likes on 322 Posts

i say they were ok because they played the same exact song i hear on the radio ("Uprising" right?). they didn't add anything new to it. they just sang it, perhaps well, but sounded exactly the same.

Muse certainly does change things up with their songs during their own shows - but mostly with the older songs that everyone's used to. Newer songs are done more in the style of what's on the new album.
Old 09-14-09, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dude it's MTV. That crowd expects to hear exactly what they know. They expect to find exactly what they heard the next day if it's new to them.
Old 09-14-09, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101
Muse certainly does change things up with their songs during their own shows - but mostly with the older songs that everyone's used to. Newer songs are done more in the style of what's on the new album.
What's so great about Muse is that they sound exactly the same live as they do in the studio. Where as there as so many live bands that sound nothing like their albums. Or no where near as good. Also, I don't know too many artists and singers that change their new songs when performing. Maybe years later to make them fresh.

Do you remember how much Kanye the douche sucked on "SNL" this year? The guy can't sing.
Old 09-14-09, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pinata242
Dude it's MTV. That crowd expects to hear exactly what they know. They expect to find exactly what they heard the next day if it's new to them.
Exactly. It's a new album, and a new single. I want to hear it sound that way live.
Old 09-14-09, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MadonnasManOne
Sure, I am a fan of Madonna. That has nothing to do with this situation. I think people who make snide comments about anyone over something like their accent, should really grow up.
Dude, she's from Michigan. I could understand if you were upset about someone mocking someone else's accent that they only have because they were born in a particular region, but she's just being pretentious. You don't actually think she's British now, do you?
Old 09-14-09, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Do you remember how much Kanye the douche sucked on "SNL" this year? The guy can't sing.
And his performance at the Europe VMAs. This is the dig I totally wanted someone to take last night and nobody did.
Old 09-14-09, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 451 Likes on 329 Posts

Does anyone know if MTv is cutting the kanye rant from all reairings?
Old 09-14-09, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by chuckd21
Dude, she's from Michigan. I could understand if you were upset about someone mocking someone else's accent that they only have because they were born in a particular region, but she's just being pretentious. You don't actually think she's British now, do you?
No, I don't think she is British. However, she has lived the last several years in Britain, and it isn't surprising that she would pick up the accent, especially since it is such a thick accent. I don't think her accent sounds very British, really. A mix of Michigan, New York, and British, actually. It is not Madonna being pretentious. That's ridiculous. She speaks properly, which is much better than having to listen to the slang riddled speech of many other entertainers.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.