TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Mad Men -- "The Fog" -- 9/13/09

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-09, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Mad Men -- "The Fog" -- 9/13/09

Originally Posted by slop101
I didn't get this at all. What I got was that they were showing the disparity between Don and Betty in their parental roles, how Don didn't even budge when the baby started crying and Betty got up to take care of it because it's completely her responsibility (unlike these days where most couples might take turns), with zero help from Don.
Also illustrated when they arrived at the hospital and the nurse tells Don his "work is done". I don't know about everyone else but I knew when I hit my parental ability limit in terms of having kids. I have zero desire to have another kid (I have 3). If we had a surprise then we'd figure out how to manage but I can't even mentally wrap my head around how I'd handle the extra load. I think that's what we've seen with Betty. She expressed to the doctor & her friend that she didn't want another kid. What she got in response was "You aren't allowed to feel that way".

Last edited by Nefarious; 09-16-09 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-16-09, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 620 Likes on 499 Posts

I didn't get this at all. What I got was that they were showing the disparity between Don and Betty in their parental roles, how Don didn't even budge when the baby started crying and Betty got up to take care of it because it's completely her responsibility (unlike these days where most couples might take turns), with zero help from Don.
Originally Posted by Nefarious
Also illustrated when they arrived at the hospital and the nurse tells Don his "work is done".

I think that's what we've seen with Betty. She expressed to the doctor & her friend that she didn't want another kid. What she got in response was "You aren't allowed to feel that way".

Also the impression I got.
Old 09-16-09, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Loved the line by Betty's mom, to the effect of her being a cat.. just sit there and look pretty and be the family pet.

I think her getting the baby in the middle of the night all the time, was the nod to her own sense of self that this is who she was.. certainly at this time, *sigh* for her is what I thought. although Susan Smith did come to mind as well.

I find her character the most intriguing and the one to explore the most, I have no idea where they are going to take her.

Best Show on TV right now.
Old 09-16-09, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 450 Likes on 315 Posts

I think the show's depiction of Betty's struggle (along with Peggy's) of being more than the traditional wife/secretary mirrors that of most Western women at that point in history.
Old 09-17-09, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess I just feel that the final scene had a long, long emphasis on her leaving the room. There was so much emphasis, though, on the "he doesn't appreciate my life, because he doesn't see me" theme.

I just had a creepy feeling as she approached the bedroom.
Old 09-17-09, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy

I find her character the most intriguing and the one to explore the most, I have no idea where they are going to take her.

Best Show on TV right now.
Completely agree with both. The thing I love about this series is that every single character has enough depth that you want to follow their story too. Almost any of these characters would make a good series on their own. Brilliant writing and directing.
Old 09-17-09, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

What was the deal with Medgar Evers sitting in the kitchen, bleeding, while Betty's mother cleaned up the blood?
Old 09-17-09, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 450 Likes on 315 Posts

I didn't quite get that either - it's Betty's dream, so maybe she's got some civil rights issues in the back of her mind - or just the big news story of that day?

Last edited by slop101; 09-17-09 at 09:40 AM.
Old 09-17-09, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sally's teacher mentioned that Sally was constantly asking questions about Medgar Evers murder, which the teacher more fully understood after being informed that her grandfather just died