Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Star Trek Sheep: The Next Generation

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-09, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Star Trek Sheep: The Next Generation

I can't speak as a player, but as a Sheepmaster I like it when people think creatively within the confines of the wording of the question.

reverie's Kirsten Dunst answer was a gamble and and it turned out to be fucking brilliant.
Old 08-18-09, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
I can't speak as a player, but as a Sheepmaster I like it when people think creatively within the confines of the wording of the question.

reverie's Kirsten Dunst answer was a gamble and and it turned out to be fucking brilliant.
Why, thank you.

I also don't think wishbone was complaining about the answer, just questioning why JF thinks it's incorrect as I was.
Old 08-18-09, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have no problem with creative answers but I find it hard to believe that Fleetwood counts as a Star Trek actor when he didn't even have any lines but Family Guy doesn't count as a show brought back through fan action.
Old 08-18-09, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish Pike was considered a right answer. I figured he would be and I would then be able to stir controversy by asking why Ro Laren doesn't count if Pike does. Michelle Forbes turned down two series, after all.

Thanks to Tracer. I'm glad to have finished in the negative numbers. I hope we have a round 3!
Old 08-18-09, 03:50 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for hosting, Tracer! Another fun game in which I got my ass handed to me by obvious answers.
Old 08-18-09, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by WallyOPD
I have no problem with creative answers but I find it hard to believe that Fleetwood counts as a Star Trek actor when he didn't even have any lines but Family Guy doesn't count as a show brought back through fan action.
Did Fleetwood only appear as a musical guest on SNL? I seem to recall in the first instance of regular TV Sheep, musical guests on variety shows did not count as appearing...
Old 08-18-09, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
I wish Pike was considered a right answer. I figured he would be and I would then be able to stir controversy by asking why Ro Laren doesn't count if Pike does. Michelle Forbes turned down two series, after all.

Thanks to Tracer. I'm glad to have finished in the negative numbers. I hope we have a round 3!
We'll see... I was thinking of retiring from running these, but I already have some ideas for a Round 3 of Trek and a Round 4 of TV.

Also, Michelle Forbes was not a correct answer because turning a job down does not equal quitting.
Old 08-18-09, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Also, Michelle Forbes was not a correct answer because turning a job down does not equal quitting.
Right, except if Pike was right (since he just turned down a job) she should also be.
Old 08-18-09, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by reverie
I also don't think wishbone was complaining about the answer, just questioning why JF thinks it's incorrect as I was.
This.
What's your problem? That was counted as a correct answer.
Old 08-18-09, 04:45 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

But getting fired apparently does (grumble grumble)

Anyway, despite my grousing, thanks for doing all the hard work of running this thing, and congratulations to reverie on your victory.
Old 08-18-09, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Right, except if Pike was right (since he just turned down a job) she should also be.
Oh, I see what you're saying. That wasn't a correct answer either.
Old 08-18-09, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh, I see what you're saying. That wasn't a correct answer either.
Right. I wish it had been so I could rabble rouse, though this exchange has been entertaining as an alternative.
Old 08-18-09, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Darn I only lost because Hunter deciding not to come back for the second pilot somehow means he didn't quit.

Congrats to reverie
Old 08-18-09, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats to reverie for the win! And many thanks again to our sheep host Tracer Bullet!

I'm happy where I ended up, considering I got two mega wrong answer additions.
Old 08-18-09, 07:07 PM

Woohoo! Finished in the top half. Thanks for hosting the game Tracer Bullet.
Old 08-18-09, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Not to take too much away from reverie's impressive victory (congrats, by the way, reverie), but I feel that I must point out that the 7 point swing from the Family Guy question cost me first place. This is probably the closest I'll ever get to a victory.

Of course this wouldn't bother me so much if I even understood why Family Guy didn't count. The only real argument I saw out there was that the people who bought the DVD's and watched the show (in such numbers that it caused the powers that be to bring it back) weren't actually fans.

Anyways, congrats again, reverie. Thanks Tracer for putting on a good game. Fun as always.
Old 08-18-09, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Palaver
Of course this wouldn't bother me so much if I even understood why Family Guy didn't count. The only real argument I saw out there was that the people who bought the DVD's and watched the show (in such numbers that it caused the powers that be to bring it back) weren't actually fans.
I'm in the same boat as you (though I was nowhere near 1st place, so I guess I'm in a similar boat that's further behind yours). But now that the game's over, I can throw out this tidbit: Family Guy Volumes 1 and 2 were blind buys for me, so technically, I wasn't a fan when I bought them. I still fully disagree with the mob's decision that it's a wrong answer though. After all, I did buy them due to strong word-of-mouth and reviews (and I think there was a DDD sale going on at the time), and most of the people who did buy them were already fans.

It's questions like this one that make me scrutinize every little detail about every answer I come up with for these games. They're still fun though! Thanks TB!!!
Old 08-18-09, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Parents can buy their (hopefully older) kids the show. Someone can pick it up because they heard it was good. Or it just looks animated and funny. Whatever.

Hell, when I bought them, I wasn't a fan. I'm still not a fan now. But they were a good price and I needed more TV on DVD for when I wanted to see something but didn't have two hours.

However, no one sane starts a letter-writing campaign to a network if they are not a fan.
Old 08-18-09, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

TV4
Old 08-18-09, 10:46 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Palaver
The argument is that there was no concerted campaign by the fans. It's not as if people said "We have to buy the DVDs in an effort to bring Family Guy back."
Old 08-18-09, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JasonF
The argument is that there was no concerted campaign by the fans. It's not as if people said "We have to buy the DVDs in an effort to bring Family Guy back."
Right. My recollection of the situation (due to a friend who was an old school Family Guy megafan) was that Family Guy on DVD was something he wanted so he could relive those memories, not because he thought some sort of concerted fan action could bring such a show back. I recall he was floored when Fox brought it back (and he ended up in the camp that thinks the new episodes suck).
Old 08-18-09, 10:50 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
It doesn't matter. The question was "name a show that was brought back by fan action". The intent of the fans isn't part of the question.
Old 08-18-09, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh, crap.

Its cancellation was announced, but then a shift in power at Fox and outcry from the fans led to a reversal of that decision and the making of a third season, after which it was canceled again.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_guy

Is that actually correct? If so, I think I'd have to call the Family Guy answer right based on the season 2 cancellation, not the season 3 one.
Old 08-19-09, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, crap.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_guy

Is that actually correct? If so, I think I'd have to call the Family Guy answer right based on the season 2 cancellation, not the season 3 one.
Ruh ro...
Old 08-19-09, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

There was a great deal of debate and rumor during the second and third seasons about whether Family Guy would be cancelled or renewed. Fox publicly announced that the show had been cancelled at the end of the second season. In an attempt to convince Fox to renew the show, dismayed fans created websites, signed petitions, and wrote letters; some even sent diapers and baby food to the network to "save" Stewie.
Now that's fan action. Not fucking walking into a Best Buy and handing over $25.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Family_Guy

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.