TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

TUF 10 Heavyweights

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-09, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TUF 10 Heavyweights

Anyone else as excited as I am?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ultimate_Fighter_10

I usually wait until the seasons come out on dvd so I can watch in sequence and not wait a week for each episode but I plan on watching this one on tv...

Last edited by Capt Planit; 08-05-09 at 08:50 AM.
Old 08-05-09, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: TUF 10 Heavyweights

Not really.

The fights on the show generally aren't that good to begin with and the HW division is by far the least talented and least interesting division in all of MMA. The HW portion of season 2 was easily the worst part of TUF to date.
Old 08-05-09, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I usually skip the entire season and then check it out on Spike the night of the TUF Finale card since they rerun the season in it's entirety. I usually only end up watching the last 5 episodes are so.. that's enough for me to get to see what the fighters are all about before the finale.

There are some intersesting aspects to this season. Two good personalities are coaching and Kimbo will be on the show... but still I don't see myself watching the whole season.
Old 08-05-09, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

I watch every season, so hopefully this one rocks.
Old 08-05-09, 10:58 AM

With Lessner dominating the HW division, it looks like Dana et al are looking for more talent to compete with him....

And yes, I always look forward to TUF seasons.
Old 08-05-09, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Going through the list of fighters I don't think it is fair to say they suck. Most are either good athletes with huge potential in MMA (4 former NFL guys) or guys with proven track records... Heck, Kimbo, Wes Sims and Big Country Roy Nelson adding star power to the show should make most MMA fans watch.

Even if you hate the drama on the show, the last 10 minutes is always a fight. The first two episodes are only fights in fact... And yes, I'll be watching.

* Zak Jensen (11-2): The 6-foot-4, 265-pound 26-year-old Jensen was a collegiate wrestler and football player at Northern Illinois University and Augsburg College. After college, he found success in "Tough Man" competitions and Golden Gloves competitions and eventually made the move to MMA in 2007.
* Marcus Jones (4-1): The 6-foot-6, 260-pound 35-year-old Jones is the most prolific of the show's NFL quartet. While playing defensive end at the University of North Carolina, Jones was an All-American and the 1995 ACC Defensive Player of the Year and became the 1996 first-round draft pick of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. After eight successful years in the NFL, he joined Gracie Tampa and made the transition to MMA.
* Scott Junk (6-2): The 6-foot-1, 265-pound 30-year-old Junk was a former Division II All-American football player at Southwest Oklahoma State. After college, Junk began training in mixed martial arts, earning his way into the UFC in 2007. Junk, who took the fight on less-than-two-weeks' notice, suffered a first-round submission loss to Christian Wellisch.
* John Madsen (3-0): The 6-foot, 240-pound 29-year-old Madsen grew up in South Dakota, where he earned all-conference and all-state honors in football, wrestling and track. After defeating current UFC champion Brock Lesnar in a high-school wrestling match, Madsen went on to earn a Division II wrestling national championship at South Dakota State University. Madsen currently trains at Matt Hughes' H.I.T. Squad.
* James McSweeney (12-4): The 6-foot-4, 230-pound 28-year-old Englishman McSweeney started with a striking background, beginning his training in kickboxing at 6 years old before moving to Thailand to train full-time. After amassing a 136-9 combined record in multiple kickboxing organizations, McSweeney moved in with former UFC champion Rashad Evans and now trains full time at Greg Jackson's MMA in New Mexico.
* Matt Mitrione (0-0): The 6-foot-3, 275-pound 30-year-old was a two-position football All-American while in high school. After attending Purdue University and earning All-Big Ten honors, Mitrione played six seasons in the NFL as a member of the New York Giants and Minnesota Vikings. Following a devastating injury, Mitrione returned to his childhood passion of combat sports and began training with UFC veterans Chris Lytle and Jake O'Brien.
* Roy Nelson (14-4): The 6-foot-1, 265-pound 33-year-old was born and raised in Las Vegas, training in martial arts from an early age while playing football, baseball and wrestling. After turning pro, Nelson surprised many opponents with his less-than-impressive physique. "Big Country" earned the now-defunct IFL's heavyweight crown, before suffering recent losses to notables Jeff Monson and Andrei Arlovski.
* Demico Rogers (4-0): The 6-foot-4, 235-pound 27-year-old was a stand-out wrestler and football player while attending high school in his native Washington. Rogers began training jiu-jitsu as a means of staying in shape, and after winning a local mixed martial arts tournament, he began to focus on the sport as a potential career.
* Brendan Schaub (4-0): The 6-foot-4, 240-pound 26-year-old credits the Jean Claude Van Damme movie "Bloodsport" as his inspiration to pursue martial arts. Growing up in Colorado, Schaub was an all-state athlete in both football and lacrosse. Schaub went on to play fullback at the University of Colorado before later playing in the Arena Football League and earning a spot on the Buffalo Bills' practice squad in the NFL. Schaub remained active in tae kwon do and jiu-jitsu, and he currently trains at T's KO Fight Club and Jackson's MMA.
* Darill Schoonover (10-0): The 6-foot-2, 250-pound 24-year-old Schoonover grew up in Texas and began training in jiu-jitsu, judo and submission grappling at 17. After graduating high school, Schoonover entered the Army, serving two years in the armed forces. Schoonover remains on active reserve while pursuing a career in teaching, though with 10-stoppages wins in 10 trips to the cage, mixed martial arts may quickly take precedence.
* Wes Shivers (3-1): The 6-foot-7, 285-pound 32-year-old Shivers grew up in Mississippi, earning a scholarship to play football at Mississippi State University. Shivers earned all-SEC honors before playing in the NFL with both the Tennessee Titans and Atlanta Falcons. Shivers followed his football career with a four-year stint in law enforcement. Shivers continues to train in Mississippi, including with UFC veteran Alan Belcher.
* Wes Sims (22-12-1): The 6-foot-10, 260-pound 29-year-old Sims originally planned to pursue a career in professional wrestling before UFC Hall of Famer Mark Coleman convinced "The Project" to take a shot at mixed martial arts. Sims earned his way into the UFC in 2003, dropping back-to-back outings to current UFC interim champion Frank Mir. Sims currently runs a gym in his native Ohio.
* Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson (3-1): The 6-foot-1, 235-pound 35-year-old Ferguson needs little introduction to hardcore or casual MMA fans. The streetfighting YouTube sensation played football at the University of Miami before working as a bodyguard, earning extra money with his bareknuckle brawling exploits. A four-time veteran of the now-defunct EliteXC, Fergsuon last fought in a now-infamous loss to Seth Petruzelli.
* Abe Wagner (6-2): The 6-foot-4, 265-pound 29-year-old Wagner grew up in Wisconsin, excelling in both football and basketball while in high school. Wagner played linebacker at Michigan Tech University, earning a degree in mechanical engineering. Wagner began training in mixed martial arts in 2005.
* Mike Wessel (6-1): The 6-foot, 255-pound 31-year-old Wessel was raised in Ohio, eventually playing his way onto the University of St. Francis football team. Wessel played briefly in the Arena Football League before accepting a position as the strength and conditioning coach at the University of Arkansas. Wessel suffered his first professional defeat at the hands of Antoni Hardonk in his lone UFC appearance at UFC 92 in December 2008.
* Justin Wren (10-1): The 6-foot-3, 264-pound 22-year-old Wren was a two-time high-school national champion wrestler in his native Texas, earning a spot on the Iowa State University wrestling team before an injury forced him to take a year off and recover. During his time away from wrestling, Wren focused his energy on mixed martial arts training, eventually electing to turn pro. Wren trains in Texas with "The Ultimate Fighter 4" champ Travis Lutter, and he plans on moving to Las Vegas to train full-time with current UFC interim champ Frank Mir.

Last edited by Navinabob; 08-05-09 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Adding content
Old 08-05-09, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Navinabob
Going through the list of fighters I don't think it is fair to say they suck. Most are either good athletes with huge potential in MMA (4 former NFL guys) or guys with proven track records (8-0-0)... Heck, Kimbo and Big Country Roy Nelson adding star power to the show should make most MMA fans watch.

Even if you hate the drama on the show, the last 10 minutes is always a fight. The first two episodes are only fights in fact... And yes, I'll be watching.
This season they have eliminated the fights in the first two episodes. (I'm glad to hear this - I found it to be tiring since we don't know anything about the fighters)

This season whoever is picked stays the entire season.

The TUF seasons are great not just because of the fights, but mainly because you actually get to know the fighters, and then follow them throughout their careers after the seasons end.

Remember when Evans first appeared on TUF? And Hughes' comments about him? Now look where he is...
Old 08-05-09, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Really? I guess I should have guessed cutting the tourney to get into the show since they didn't list 30 fighters.
Old 08-05-09, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Navinabob
Really? I guess I should have guessed cutting the tourney to get into the show since they didn't list 30 fighters.
Yes it's true.

I'm glad since now the 12 episodes will concentrate on the selected fighters.

Thanks for posting that list of fighters btw. There are some real giants in there (6'10", 6'7" behemoths). Looking forward to watching....
Old 08-05-09, 12:50 PM

I can't wait for this to air.. been watching tuf since season 3.. wasn't into mma till i started watching tuf.
Old 08-05-09, 01:05 PM

It looks like Lessner has brought some real excitement back into the HW division. He may be the Mike Tyson of MMA....

Hopefully, with this season of TUF as a beginning, we'll see the development of good MMA HW fighters emerge.

I think in the past the HW division seems to have been associated with big, slow, over-weight fighters.

But Lessner has shown that big men can also be strong, fast, and agile....

And the newest season of TUF includes real athletes (including many NFL football players).
Old 08-05-09, 01:16 PM

The last HW division didn't feature any NFL football players but Brad Imes played for Missouri.

I'm thinking fatboy Roy Nelson should be the favorite to win this season. Nobody else has a resume even close to his. He's this season's Mac Danzig. Then again I still think there we several people in that season that could have beaten Danzig he just didn't have to fight any of them. He basically took the path of least resistance to the title.

Last edited by sven; 08-05-09 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-05-09, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by sven
The last HW division didn't feature any NFL football players but Brad Imes played for Missouri.

I'm thinking fatboy Roy Nelson should be the favorite to win this season. Nobody else has a resume even close to his. He's this season's Mac Danzig. Then again I still think there we several people in that season that could have beaten Danzig he just didn't have to fight any of them. He basically took the path of least resistance to the title.
yeah, and just like danzig he will get to the ufc and then suck...
Old 08-05-09, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Not excited in the least.

The TUF format grew boring for me around season three and I've only caught intermittent eps since then (usually just tune in for the fights). The drama is always the same old, same old. The cast is always the same mix of personality types, and the quality of the fighters is 90% crud C-listers and a couple of decent guys.

The format of the show, having them train all the time and scrap at odd hours (like very early in the morning), means the fighters are often technically sloppy and they have no gas. For the HW's, where conditioning is always a problem, that means there's going to be a lot of huffing and puffing this season.

The reality stuff is tired and lame. I'd prefer the UFC switch to developing prospects through a Friday Night Fights series kind of deal or basically just increase the number of Ultimate Fight Nights to one card a month.
Old 08-05-09, 04:33 PM

Brock Lesnar (the Beast)

Next to Frank Mir:

Brock Lesnar's Training (You Tube video):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTczMKtmvdQ

Brock Lesnar's Career:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brock_Lesnar

Last edited by UngersPride; 08-05-09 at 04:42 PM.
Old 08-05-09, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I will be watching although the HW division is my least favorite in MMA.
Old 08-05-09, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by UngersPride

That is the stupidest looking tattoo ever.

Anyway, I've watched every season since S2 and I'm looking forward to this one too. I will say that I thought Slice was a complete joke, but I've gained a little respect for him now that he's going through TUF. I figured he would just fade away after getting murdered by Petruzelli. Plus, this is a good way to bolster the lacking heavyweight division.
Old 08-06-09, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by Capt Planit
yeah, and just like danzig he will get to the ufc and then suck...
HAHA

He'll do ok for a while. Unlike the LW division the HW division is filled with cans waiting to be crushed. I mean the guys was doing very will against Arlovski until that horrible stand up while the was trying apply a kimura lock. He should be able to handle Justin McCully and Dan Evensen.
Old 08-06-09, 04:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really haven't watched TUF since the first couple of seasons but this could be interesting with Kimbo.

It'll be interesting to see how they go about keeping Kimbo on the show. Like him or not I think he's going to be the draw for this season. So I think they are going to want to avoid the chance of him getting knocked off the show too early.
Old 08-06-09, 05:00 AM

Well just so you know they stopped sending the losers home after season 2. So even if he loses he'll still be around.
Old 08-06-09, 05:22 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This will be a good season

Last season was a snoozer
Old 08-06-09, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This teaser is pretty bad ass.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Idkn1Pn_ezQ&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Idkn1Pn_ezQ&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 08-06-09, 10:38 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
This teaser is pretty bad ass.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Idkn1Pn_ezQ&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Idkn1Pn_ezQ&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
"OLD SPICE!"?
Old 08-06-09, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Manco
...It'll be interesting to see how they go about keeping Kimbo on the show...
The way they are using him to promote, I bet he doesn't face the more seasoned prospects or vets like Nelson, Schoonover, Jensen, Sims*, etc for his first fight. I'll further venture that he wont be one of the first guys fighting. They are going to want to keep him around as a threat until at least mid-late season. They'll milk it by making him one of the late first round fighters and place him against some noob like Mittrone. And, yes, sorry to punch a hole in TUF "reality," but it'll get skewed that way.

*Sims is proof of TUF being a joke. He's a guy who the UFC doesn't really want because he's not only terrible, he's also dirty, but they needed a Leben for this season of TUF, so they signed up Sims, who will gladly fulfill the role of trash-talking asshole.
Old 08-06-09, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Slumbering Fist
The way they are using him to promote, I bet he doesn't face the more seasoned prospects or vets like Nelson, Schoonover, Jensen, Sims*, etc for his first fight. I'll further venture that he wont be one of the first guys fighting. They are going to want to keep him around as a threat until at least mid-late season. They'll milk it by making him one of the late first round fighters and place him against some noob like Mittrone. And, yes, sorry to punch a hole in TUF "reality," but it'll get skewed that way.

And further proof of this....

Originally Posted by UngersPride
This season they have eliminated the fights in the first two episodes.
Because the last thing Dana wants is Kimbo losing in a prelim fight before the season even starts.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.