Burn Notice -- "Friends like These" -- 7/30/09

Old 07-30-09, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,630 Likes on 2,604 Posts
Burn Notice -- "Friends like These" -- 7/30/09

Burn Notice

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

Michael tracks down a thief who stole Barry's client list. Meanwhile, Fiona and Michael find themselves at odds over Michael's quest to get back into the intelligence community.

Episode 8. Only 1 episode left before the break.
Old 07-30-09, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Re: Burn Notice -- "Friends like These" -- 7/30/09

Nice to see Barry get helped instead of the other way around. Wasn't all that special of an episode, but I liked how they let Callie Thorne's character get away. Maybe we'll see her again.
Old 07-30-09, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^Thought the same thing. I believe that she will reappear sometime later.

Doug
Old 07-31-09, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

For some reason (which I can't put my finger on) I really liked this episode.

I also like the subtle, and not so subtle, nods to past episodes... the continued use of "Finley" by Sam, the reference by Barry to check to see if the bad guy subscribes to Cat Fancy magazine.

It does seem like they are building up the bank of recurring characters (Barry, Brennan (Dutch), the cop, now this chick, the spy agent) which is good to mix in for future seasons.
Old 07-31-09, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 478 Posts

I really liked this ep. Loved the bit with the unloaded gun.

Michael's getting out of control, though. I get his trying to keep up appearances but I think dragging Fi out of the room would have been just as effective as hitting her.

One thing that does bother me is this season's structure has been very flimsy. At first, Management stopped protecting him and all sorts of law enforcement and "old friends" started popping up. But after Moon Bloodgood let Michael go, all the cops left Michael off the hook? And except for Dutch and the adventure in the swamp, Michael doesn't seem to have too many "old friends" coming after him.

I hope they explain this away by revealing that the Talent AGent is a recruiter for Management. It's the only way to make sense of any of this.

Last edited by RocShemp; 07-31-09 at 01:08 PM.
Old 07-31-09, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp

One thing that does bother me is this season's structure has been very flimsy. At first, Management stopped protecting him and all sorts of law enforcement and "old friends" started popping up. But after Moon Bloodgood let Michael go, all the cops left Michael off the hook? And except for Dutch and swamp run, Michael doesn't seem to have too many "old friends" coming after him.

I don't get that whole thing, but like before this season, I never cared for the wider story arc. I enjoy the capers of the week far more.
Old 07-31-09, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 478 Posts

I prefer the capers of the week as well but given how big a deal they made of Michael being exposed during the season opener, I would have expected it to play a bigger role. In fact, I expected it to raise the stakes for the capers of the week.
Old 07-31-09, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I almost fell off the couch with "Oh that Marmaduke! Will you ever learn?" line. I like the show but I'd drop it without Bruce Campbell.
Old 07-31-09, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by cleaver
I almost fell off the couch with "Oh that Marmaduke! Will you ever learn?" line. I like the show but I'd drop it without Bruce Campbell.
I think it would be an ordinary show without him - part of it is obviously the writing of his character, but I really like his delivery.

Plus the Fi/Michael thing is getting old (I'm hoping next week puts the will they/won't they to rest for at least the next 1/2 season) and there's only so much they can write in for the Mom.
Old 07-31-09, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 722 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I prefer the capers of the week as well but given how big a deal they made of Michael being exposed during the season opener, I would have expected it to play a bigger role. In fact, I expected it to raise the stakes for the capers of the week.
But the introduction of the spy agent can counter-act that as it seems that Michael is a huge asset for him to have around. So he'd pretty much watch Michael's back.. or at least let him know when another organization was on to him.
Old 07-31-09, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So what happened to the money? Callie Thorne ran off without it, and they didn't mention it again.

I'm another one who likes the fact that not every plan ends with the bad guy arrested or dead. I hope we see some of them again.
Old 08-01-09, 12:26 AM

^ They did mention it - the cops found/recovered it (I assume someone on Michael's team tipped them off afterwards).
Barry said something to the effect that not only did he get the ledger back, but the bad guys lost 5mil in the process.

By the way did anyone else think it was silly for Barry to have his name on the Ledger on the first page inside? (granted a small detail, but it seemed very strange other than to tell the audience - 'yup this is his ledger')
Old 08-01-09, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think it's more than silly -- it's not the way a real criminal would handle it. They'd be using a code and would not want anything to directly tie them to the proof of their wrongdoing.