DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Re: Harper's Island -- Episode 11 -- "Splash" -- 6/27/09

:rofl:
Old 06-28-09, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly I don't even find myself caring or wondering about the second killer after this episode. Seeing Wakefield murdering people left and right seemed eliminate a lot of mystique that the earlier murders had. Even if he has an accomplice, it just seems like this episode showed us too much.
Old 06-28-09, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by awil1026
You mean Shane. And yes, she should have.
Yes I did. 11 eps in and I still can't keep everyone straight.
Old 06-28-09, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't believe there are only 2 episodes left. I will definitely buy this on DVD. I think the actor playing Wakefield is very creepy.
Old 06-28-09, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Poor Cal. He really grew on me.
Old 06-28-09, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by LiquidSky
Poor Cal. He really grew on me.
For being cannon fodder, I was surprised at how much I ended up liking Cal and Chloe. They seemed to be the favorites of alot of fans.
Old 06-28-09, 08:09 PM

I didn't like Cal in the earlier episodes. But he and Chloe grew on me. Their deaths really made me sad.
Old 06-28-09, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The only thing that doesn't make sense, if it is Jimmy, and the sheriff did suspect him, why would he tell Abby right before he died something like "you and Jimmy can be together now". That makes zero sense if he had any suspicion at all about Jimmy being involved/related to Wakefield.
Old 06-29-09, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Just finished this tonight.

That was one hell of a bloodbath. I was really surprised to see so many people die in this episode.

I have to agree with an earlier comment that the show doesn't work as a "Whodunnit" anymore and is more of a TV horror/slasher picture. I think revealing Wakefield as the killer in the last episode and having him run around in the open killing people left and right and in the earlier scene of this episode killed alot of the momentum the show had. It's still entertaining nevertheless since I enjoy the slasher genre.

I think the writers have failed to really flesh out more details of the Wakefield character and his motive for all these murders. I don't understand what he's getting out of killing all these people and I never really understood the motive for murdering Abby's mother and the other victims 7 years earlier.

I was disappointed to see Cal and Chloe go. Really hated Cal at the beginning of the series, but he did grow alot more likeable. Their death scene was really sad, yet poignant. I don't know how deep the water was, but I was wondering if Chloe's fall from a bridge of that height would have killed her? Obviously if the water was only 2-3 feet deep than I assume definitely.
Old 06-29-09, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Jadzia
Honestly I don't even find myself caring or wondering about the second killer after this episode. Seeing Wakefield murdering people left and right seemed eliminate a lot of mystique that the earlier murders had. Even if he has an accomplice, it just seems like this episode showed us too much.
The mystique is gone. Showing anyone as the killer before the last episode completely changes the show, and having Wakefield as the main killer is just very dissapointing, I feel like I was cheated. I really wanted this to be someone from the main cast.

Having an accomplice, like most of us suspect is still possible but frankly, the whole Wakefield twist pretty much ruined the show for me.

My thoughts early on was that it was going to be someone that didn't make sense, either physically or due to poor writing, like Shea. Having Henry at this point would make some sense too, after all, after watching these 11 episodes, I would want to kill Trish myself for being so bloody stupid and wanting Hunter.
Old 06-29-09, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by writer106
I didn't like Cal in the earlier episodes. But he and Chloe grew on me. Their deaths really made me sad.
Me too. Those two deaths were the first that made me feel sad.

Last edited by LiquidSky; 06-29-09 at 07:41 AM.
Old 06-29-09, 10:32 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Of the people left, a few seem implausible just based on things we've seen before. Abby has had too many private moments shown where she's scared, angry at Wakefield, etc. These wouldn't make sense if she was in on it... why would she act that way when noone else was around?

Trish had that moment where someone tried to trap her inside the pool when she was swimming drunk. That would seem to rule her out if you assume that was Wakefield or Wakefield's accomplice that did it -- unless they somehow explain that moment was unrelated to the killings, which would be a rather clunky out-of-left-field piece of exposition at this point.
Old 06-29-09, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The wakefield stuff is a little over the top. I agree on the killing of the two best characters, and will throw in Shane to that category as well.

Just because the sheriff had a file on Jimmy doesn't mean much. he could have found stuff out on Jimmy because he thought he was working with Wakefield, but after checking it out found out he wasn't. If it turns out to be Jimmy then i will be disapointed simply because they have led us that way.

It's been a pretty good show and has gotten better as it has gone. I'm not sure how they can make it last 2 more hours unless they really have just left a lot of the "why" out and are gonna fill in a bunch of holes we don't even know about.
Old 06-29-09, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

I think the writers have failed to really flesh out more details of the Wakefield character and his motive for all these murders. I don't understand what he's getting out of killing all these people and I never really understood the motive for murdering Abby's mother and the other victims 7 years earlier.
Hopefully they will clue us in on everything in the last episode. Wakefield's motivation is a pretty big element in the show and I would hope they have the sense to explain it.
Old 06-29-09, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree about the show losing the "mystique" now that Wakefield has been revealed. I have no doubt now that Henry is the accomplice also (just a very strong feeling mixed with circumstantial evidence). Of course the show could still end very well, but one of the things that drew me in initially was the "And Then There Were None" there's a killer among them vibe that is kind of ruined now.
Old 06-29-09, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by LiquidSky
Me too. Those two deaths were the first that made me feel sad.

Me, too. My favorite characters and about the only likeable ones.
Old 06-29-09, 02:40 PM

Not only Cal and Chloe the only likeable characters, they were the only characters whose names I knew. I still don't know the names of the blond man and the black guy. I don't know the name of the girl who was gutted at the bar, and I don't know the sister's name. That's without looking at the threads or going to IMDB.
Old 06-29-09, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by cmleidi
Not only Cal and Chloe the only likeable characters, they were the only characters whose names I knew. I still don't know the names of the blond man and the black guy. I don't know the name of the girl who was gutted at the bar, and I don't know the sister's name. That's without looking at the threads or going to IMDB.
Let's see how I do...

Blonde guy:Chris "Sully"
Black guy: Danny
Girl gutted: Nikki
Sister to the bride: Shea

Hey, not bad.
Old 06-29-09, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Enjoyed the episode but there were a lot of scenes where people could have shot and probably killed Wakefield.
Old 06-29-09, 05:31 PM

I was extremely surprised here, I could have sworn that Cal and Chloe were going to turn out to be the killers.

Damn, another theory down the drain.
Old 06-29-09, 06:15 PM

Wakefield brings a knife to a gun fight multiple times and ends up the victor every time.
Exactly. Just shoot the damn guy already! Suddenly Wakefield is Jason Voorhees, walking around slaughtering everyone.

Last edited by heebiejeebie; 06-29-09 at 10:25 PM.
Old 06-30-09, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by heebiejeebie
Exactly. Just shoot the damn guy already! Suddenly Wakefield is Jason Voorhees, walking around slaughtering everyone.
Yes, but Trish is a fucking dumbass. That's been clear throughout the season. It's still very frustrating as viewers to endure such stupidity. Writers should know that the audience aren't all morons.
Old 06-30-09, 07:48 AM

Yeah, the show gets ridiculous when Wakefield is standing still and in the open with a knife (before he starts fighting Shane) and Trish is about 10 feet away with a rifle pointed at him and she backs out of the room. And of course Shane tells her to "Go!" instead of saying "Shoot Him!" like anyone else in the world would.

On the other hand, seeing how good all of them can shoot, if she did take a shot she would have probably missed!
Old 06-30-09, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Luds
Yes, but Trish is a fucking dumbass. That's been clear throughout the season. It's still very frustrating as viewers to endure such stupidity. Writers should know that the audience aren't all morons.
I hope she gets the boot.
Old 06-30-09, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeR63
Yeah, the show gets ridiculous when Wakefield is standing still and in the open with a knife (before he starts fighting Shane) and Trish is about 10 feet away with a rifle pointed at him and she backs out of the room. And of course Shane tells her to "Go!" instead of saying "Shoot Him!" like anyone else in the world would.

On the other hand, seeing how good all of them can shoot, if she did take a shot she would have probably missed!
She is such a bad shot that Shane was probably afraid she'd hit him, not Wakefield.

But everybody was great at wasting ammunition and not hitting the target.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.